Anonymous
Years ago

Player Pool for 2 more teams

Based on the new Melbourne franchise and Southern Huskies entering in 2019/20 giving us 10 teams the question is
Do we have a deep enough talent pool for 16 more local players??

Or will we see more Teys, Doyle, Hire types taking up roster spots?

Topic #43847 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

The issue can be looked at two ways, either we don't have the depth in this country or we don't allow our talent opportunity to come back and play here, rather chase opportunity overseas first.

Of course we have the talent, just add up how many CofE kids graduate every year, how many come out of the collegiate system in the USA and Canada, how many males and females actually play this game at the highest junior levels we can provide them and how many are seen as overseas talents before we ever get to enjoy seeing them in their home country.

You are looking at the glass have empty my friend!

Build it and they will come, in droves...

Reply #703025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may help reduce ballers defecting to AFL.

Reply #703034 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Any new team will face a scramble to get a competitive team together, but over time there is plenty of talent to go around

There are guys playing in 3rd rate o/s leagues because they couldn't get a starting gig in the NBL, so over time we'll see a few more of those in the NBL. At the other end of the bench, guys will move up from DP roles quicker, and some like say McDaniel could go straight into bench roles.

Keep in mind that if they get the newstars and "Asian Market" players cranking that could add another 20 players into the mix, reducing the reliance on the end of the bench.

Reply #703036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Trist looks like fair example of a bloke wanting to play in Australia but had to spend a few years over seas. The talent is there just got be encouraged to stick at it.

Reply #703039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

players from New Zealand and asia

Reply #703040 | Report this post

Nogg  
Years ago

I'd say we have plenty of talent. For the upcoming team you could get:

Landale, Hueir, Chima Moneke, Deng Adel if he doesn't make the NBA, Jo-Lual Acuil and Venky Jois and even Shaun Bruce. There are also probably a couple of Kiwis like Max Darling, Tai Webster or Issac Fotu. There will also be kids coming back from college and coming straight out of the COE.

Reply #703051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great time to be coming out of college.

Reply #703053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies wont be in next season.

Reply #703057 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Obviously a couple of guys that are DP's now for respective clubs will be available to be included in that conversation, such as Sam Macdaniel, Von Hofe, Jurlina, and so on. There are guys playing well in State Leagues and New Zealand that aren't on an NBL roster right now like Damon Hueir, Shaun Bruce, Mathiang Muo etc, and also including Australians playing abroad.

One can assume there would likely be a few veterans added to rosters for both teams trying to establish a culture and have that veteran presence/experience both on court and in the locker room too.

Reply #703069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, Von Hofe has retired from basketball.

Reply #703094 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Teys, Doyle, Hire - are examples where its harder to get out than to stay in, their teams are not prepared to take a chance on a new chum rocking the boat too much with the established core, predictability on , off and around the court is the most important aspect.

When building a new team, that tends to go out the window in the first 2 seasons. The problem won't be to find those players who are 85% READY FOR nbl it will be successfully picking the 5% of those 85% players who will go on to be starting 5 NBL players. ( creek, Darryl Pearce, David Stiff, Smith twins etc )

Reply #703116 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Very Old, you have a point, however there are some great stories of NBL players who got a chance and have really made the most of it, becoming starters or very important players for their NBL teams.

I see any properly funded and well structured expansion as an opportunity, not something negative at all.

But I say again, it has to be done right, I think we all agree on that...

Reply #703118 | Report this post

Cobra  
Years ago

I was waiting for the "diluted talent pool" question to come up.

I agree with Bear 100%. Thanks for saying what I wanted to say. Saved me the time.

Reply #703145 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

The new owner of SE Melbourne has deep pockets and wouldn't be coming in to just make up numbers.

I expect them to have a lot of cash to play with and to be targeting 3 stud imports, a few good level Aussies in Europe (Motum etc), anyone fringe NBA that may miss out plus the other names above to round out roster. Expect them also to hit the free agent market (not sure what big names would be on it)

Southern Huskies could either struggle if they come in after SE Melbourne have signed up available big names and with (presumably) a smaller budget, or may have advantage of approaching existing NBL players who will be out of contract by then due to longer lead time.

Reply #703152 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey who is originally from Victoria, the possibility of Mitch Creek too being from Vic and Majok Deng will be a FA too next year. That's the name ones from the Sixers.

others that also might be available from Perth I think Brandt & Martin will be FA's possibly Wagstaff too, Cairns FA's will be Jawai & Loughton, Brisbane have a team option next season on Bairstow, Gibson will be available, Sydney will have Randle, Lisch, Newley, Illawarra will have Ogilvy available, United Ware & Boone and Pledger likely, NZ will have Wesley & Majok Majok.

Reply #703155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley, Barlow,Moller are free next year out of Melbourne.

Reply #703161 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Creek comes back to NBL would expect this club to make a lucrative offer.
Motum an option and Dellavedova if he is released in NBA another option.

Reply #703173 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Easily enough talent

For an extra team, given we have 3 imports, only need to find 8 Aussies

Always a guy or 2 returning for college who struggles to get a full time contract like Sam McDaniel who would be good enough for a bench spot

If you have the budget you could chase guys who are in Europe/Fringe NBA like Motum, Adel, etc

Then their is the top SEABL/NZ NBL guys who miss our on gigs each year who

If the NBL finds talent gets a bit too diluted can add an extra import spot.

Thats without touching the existing NBL talent pool

If they come in with a Melbourne/Sydney type budget

Could field a team like this, without taking any full time NBL contracted players

Import
Motum
Adel
Import
Import

Bruce
Madgen
Sam McDaniel
Ellis
Patton

Not saying that team wins the title or should recycle those bench players, but would atleast be competitive and could be very good if they get high level imports.

Reply #703175 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Delly's got 2 years left on his NBA contract plus whoever signs him after that. Be a long time before we see Delly in the NBL.

Reply #703176 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

12 players per team minus 3 imports and 1 next star program invitee.

Thats 16 additional players the two extra teams have to find, it's not that hard to find 8 players is it?

Reply #703177 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Doubt Delly will get another NBA contract.

Reply #703178 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hogwash you are delusional. Teams making a title run right now are looking for back up PG's such as Delly. I'd be surprised if he didn't sign with a contender after his current contract, as a back up PG like he was in Cleveland.

Reply #703199 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Umm OK lol.

Reply #703218 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Delly might not get chased by title teams but saying he will be out of the NBA in 2 years time is it a bit out there. He's only two years removed from the hype of that Cavs title team and no matter what happens the next couple of years in Milwaukee NBA execs will certainly still remember that and hope he can rekindle that form with their team. He'll still be in the NBA for another 4-5 years.

Reply #703221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back up point guard at a contender but third string at Milwaukee. Okay

Reply #703227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Derailed again. Tassie wont be in the NBl next season. The only proviso is if they get control of the DEC very quickly.

Reply #703229 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

Thank you Bear, my thoughts are the same. Well said.

Reply #703473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754