LC
Years ago

Former NBLer Mick Cedar opens up on mental health

Michael Cedar has bared his soul for The Pick and Roll on his battle with mental health issues.

"Michael Cedar is - and has been – many things: a father, a brother, a husband, basketball star, leader, champion. It's about none of these today. Instead, he wants to share his experiences with mental health. Cedar is stepping forward to show another aspect of himself, with the hopes of becoming an advocate for his fellow brothers and men who are suffering."

On mental health: Michael Cedar strives to bring dark issues to light

It’s not manly to keep quiet.

Topic #43903 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come to think of it he always look depressed.

Reply #704665 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Come to think of it he always look depressed."

Wow, no words.

Reply #704675 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So he had 2 chances to trial at NBL clubs and didn't turn up? Looks like both those respective teams dodged a bullet.

Wish him all the best but sounds like the depression has resulted in self sabotage, good luck Mick on the next part of your journey.

Reply #704678 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

Come to think of it he always look depressed.

What a dumb thing to say.

Reply #704679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he probably should be thankful, very thankful, that he had basketball through his life, that so many people supported him and provided him opportunities and believed in him often when his behaviour often didn't deserve it.

Sadly there are a lot of kids with anger issues, has always been and always will be.

Glad to hear that he is moving in the right direction.

Reply #704681 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well this is going well.

Reply #704683 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Why is comment 704665 being treated as though it says 'Stalin for PM'? I don't understand

Reply #704686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So he had 2 chances to trial at NBL clubs and didn't turn up? Looks like both those respective teams dodged a bullet.

Wish him all the best but sounds like the depression has resulted in self sabotage, good luck Mick on the next part of your journey."

That last part sounded sooooo sincere.

Reply #704689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I meant was he looked 100% of the time unhappy at the Crocs/in his time in the NBL. Just an observation. Luke Martin was another player who falls into this category and ended up with similar issues.

Reply #704700 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Has Michael Cedar actually been a 'basketball star' and a 'Champion'?

Reply #704702 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"So he had 2 chances to trial at NBL clubs and didn't turn up? Looks like both those respective teams dodged a bullet."

And its statements like this that show how important it is for people like Cedar to speak up. Well done to him.

Reply #704707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depression isn't "looking unhappy"

Reply #704723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said unhappy all the time.

Reply #704737 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Anon and Chris, I'm genuinely curious as to why you think the first commenter was out of line. I don't understand and want to understand

Reply #704753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the original anon I'm perplexed too, Manu.

Reply #704765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a fairly flippant remark to a serious issue, one which takes some balls to come forward with. No one "looks depressed" - you can't tell someone is depressed just by looking, and on the flipside someone who looks sad might not be depressed at all.

Original anon, I’m perplexed as to why you thought it was the best thing to say in response to OP. Can you answer that?

Reply #704767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was always my observation of him.

Reply #704768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any other players you wish to diagnose?

Reply #704769 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

We are all a bit crazy, no one, and I mean no one ever feels great all the time....

Reply #704774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wish him all the best but sounds like the depression has resulted in self sabotage, good luck Mick on the next part of your journey.
Depression is self sabotage.

I know of multiple people who from any meeting or watching from afar, you would assume were absolutely happy or at the top of their game, but have serious struggles. Crippling anxieties that render them unable to work, unable to get out of bed, etc.

Reply #704779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754