Anonymous
Years ago

NZ to win title, Perth to miss playoffs: Wortho

Bold predictions from Worthington.

"Everyone thinks that Melbourne or Sydney are going to win it but my prediction is the Breakers," Worthington, who won a title with the South Dragons in 2009, told AAP.

"I just like the way their roster's built and one thing that came through in the (preseason) Blitz and NBA game is they like playing for (new coach and former player) Kevin Braswell."

Worthington also tipped perennial powerhouse Perth to make early changes or face ending their 32-year run of finals appearances.

"Streaks are meant to be broken," he said.

"It is a hell of a record but if you look at the talent that's around (in other teams) and retention of their group; they have an older bench and the league has got a lot better.

"I don't know if they've got that mix right at the moment."

Topic #44007 | Report this topic

Hoot  
Years ago

He's a new marquee commentator for this season. If he’s not making bold predictions then he’s not doing his job.

Reply #707406 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

NZ winning the title is more believable than Adelaide winning it.

Reply #707414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Streaks are meant to be broken" is the most idiotic thing said so far...but Homicide has been quiet so I'll wait a bit.

Reply #707416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide had DeLeon in his list of top guards but not Sobey...

Reply #707417 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

This season winning the title is going to be all about who can stay injury free.

NZ certainly have the squad to win. Adelaide have come out the most hungry in the off season blitz... in saying that they were one of the few teams that had a full squad.. but to their credit they played with the most intensity.

Perth are good for 1-5 this season. They have the talent to go all the way... but in reality I put them 3-5 with a lot riding on Cotton.

Reply #707418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide to easily make top 4 as once again the haters choke on their words again. Too many kids on school holiday on here like AD...

Reply #707421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ooh sick burn EYW!

Reply #707424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth to me looks stronger than last year. More depth, more 3 point shooters. White has to deliver on his promise though. If he chucks em up all night and gets a low percentage (like NBA games) he would be in trouble.

Reply #707431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho? LOL! Who asked him/why would anyone ask that bonehead for predictions? He saw NZ's performance against NBA so probably went for them. No thought at all put into this. Again, why ask him? surely there are more thoughtful and articulate ex NBLers out there? Baffling.

Reply #707433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's entitled to his opinion, whether you agree with him or not.

Reply #707435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see he is a "commentator" now so that's why. Hopefully he has thousands of hours of media training otherwise it's going to get ugly.

Reply #707441 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Boti also has perth missing the playoffs, never thought perth would be underrated after signing two boomers

Reply #707460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Boti must of been a huge fan of JP Tokoto and Derek Cooke Jr and views them as big losses

Reply #707461 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Tokoto and Cooke are significantly better than White and Vague

Reply #707463 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ have just as many questions hanging over their squad this season as Adelaide or Perth.

New Coach
New Imports
No Vukona, Loe or Pledger
Abercrombie is another year older
New Ownership Group
Webster, Wesley, Weeks & Majok to work in with the existing group & new Imports

I also like the look of the team this season but I think it's going to be really close.

Reply #707475 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jervis, Kay, White, Norton

Cooke, Walker, Tokoto, Kenny

Was Vague already in the team?

Much obviously depends on White, but you know he'll be out the door if he doesn't perform.

If we're looking purely at the other 3 I much prefer Jervis/Kay/Norton over Cooke/Walker/Kenny.

Reply #707477 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Even if White isn't up to it surely Perth would make appropriate change.

Reply #707489 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Anon - "Streaks are meant to be broken" is the most idiotic thing said so far...but Homicide has been quiet so I'll wait a bit."

This wins :D

Homicide pioneered the Donald Trump model of feeding the media completely unhinged and nonsensical sound-bytes just so he can hear himself talk.

Reply #707490 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth are going to go as far as Cotton can carry them offensively once again. I think Kay and Norton are solid role players who will have the odd big night (Kay, at least), but they aren't really impact guys - great additions to a rotation though.

Reply #707499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tokoto and Cooke are significantly better than White and Vague"

What about White and Jervis? Tokoto went missing in the second half of last season...Cooke was under utilised all year.

White is an unknown quantity so far but I think its fair to say Jervis will be an upgrade over Cooke.

Reply #707503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis is better than Cooke
Kay is better than Walker
Norton is better than Kenny

Wildcats got worse

Right

Reply #707512 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Nothing too controversial from Wortho. Breakers have looked good and are as good a chance as anyone. Personally I never bet against Perth missing the playoffs, but it isn't a crazy concept to see them finish outside the 4. Obviously a lot depending on their imports, but don’t forget they also have that third import up their sleeve as well. Injuries to any team will be costly (particularly those without continuity or deep benches). I think the top 6 will be tight.

Reply #707516 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

The Cats will miss the playoffs eventually.. it may even be this year, but it will be decided on the court not in news papers or interviews with has-beens and morons (Wortho, Homicide).
I never understand why people get upset when someone says their team will miss, it just makes it sweeter when they are wrong.

Reply #707558 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think most people I have seen predictions agree that the top 5 (in no particular order) of

NZ
Melbourne
Perth
Adelaide
Sydney

will be competing for the top 4 spots and the result will be dependent on injury and if any changes are made to their team for any reason. I wouldn't be shocked if all 5 of those teams hold top spot at some stage throughout the year. All of them are good teams on paper.

The other 3 are going to be a step back off the pace, but I wouldn't be too shocked if Brisbane or Illawarra provide some upsets and mini winning runs during the season.

Reply #707575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ Wortho

The very first game and already his predictions look way off. Amateur hour.

Reply #707690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your predictions are bold and way off the mark, then you're on your way to a successful expert commentator career. Good start for Wortho.

Reply #707809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look, wortho might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer,

Reply #707810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can say that again.

Reply #707820 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Game 1, plenty of season to see his predictions play out.
At least he puts his name to his bold predictions unlike the anon poster on here.

Reply #707832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754