Anonymous
Years ago

Perth Bench = Change Is Gonna Come?

What do you think of their performance to date?

Topic #44147 | Report this topic

J  
Years ago

Trev rides his starters. Bench came in and ran some sets which the team needed. They are deep, reality is 40 min game a short rotation is enough. Our bench can get hot, no change needed

Reply #711493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton/Wagstaff/Jervis are all quality players, gives the Cats a great 8 man rotation to centre around.

Vague/Steindl have been pretty unreliable so far, and Hire you know what you get with him.

I think the bench lead by Norton/Wagstaff/Jervis is solid enough for now, but wouldn't be surprised if they eventually cut Hire or Steindl for an import SG/SF who can be a go to guy off the bench.

Reply #711497 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Both Perth and Melbourne used their starters heavily (especially if you include Goulding as a non-starting starter).

This over-reliance might work in individual games, but will it take its toll later in the season?

Reply #711501 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

One thing I'm loving this season is that we're back to batting really deep. Our first 8 would be right up there as one of the best in the comp.

I'm liking the look of Vague. Still raw, and made a mess today, but shows potential.

Problem is that once again we're really thin in the backcourt.
Damo will get injured, and TBH we're absolutely spoilt to have Norton as backup. But then we basically have to look to Cummings to man the bench.

I will admit to being seriously pissed at both Steindl and Hire.
Hire was saved by his community award, and he said that nearly getting the arse was going to motivate him. But its more of the same. He's been on a steady decline and the trajectory hasn't changed. His defense and rebounding is slowing down, and he's an offensive liability.
Agree with the comment above that one of these guys needs to make way for an import 2 or 3.

On the plus side, at least we're not spending every game in mortal fear of Matty getting whacked in the head again.

Reply #711560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clint is more of the same. Great preseason and atrocious regular season. As for hire I thought he played well. As soon as he came in late third quarter he started getting physical on Miller and the rest of the team followed suit.

Reply #711563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller

Reply #711564 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Damo goes down for more than a week or two they won't be looking to Cummings, they'll be signing an import.

Reply #711572 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I just can't trust Wagstaff, I understand why he gets played but there are times he's on the court and you can't wait until Trev takes him back off again, I wouldn't hate the thought of Vague earning more of his court time (if Jesse isn't playing well early on) and really trying to fast track Vague more.

I do love that we have 5 bigs, just like Melbourne and Cairns as I think it gives far more freedom with foul trouble and this league feels like the bigs get more 50/50 calls for fouls than guards do so alleviating that with Vague to play minutes rather than having say Steindl playing the 4 works for me.

I'm still a massive Steindl fan and I loved that he dove on the court today and showed some hustle and desperation as he is so laconic, I can't say I understand why Hire gets on the court ahead of Steindl except for last second defensive assignments but I think it may be due to how Hire pushes the envelope with off the ball incidents and that Trev likes to have a player that always seems to lock arms with their opponent even off the ball. Clint will come good but you have to admit that Terrico isn't making it easy to sub him out so of course that will affect the flow of Steindl and Hire.

Norton is an absolute ripper and the more he stays aggressive and gets to the basket, the better the team looks... he gives us everything that Kenny seemed to lack and he's still got improvement left in him.

Brandt was massive vs United but I'd still bring him off the bench and allow Jervis to potentially pick up those silly fouls that the refs like to call in the first 3 minutes of the game where they like to stamp their authority on the game + Jervis has been magnificent for the Wildcats this season despite a few butter finger moments.

I feel like the bench is good enough, the backcourt has always felt lacking but White should play more 2 so not an issue yet

Reply #711576 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure about being thin in the backcourt, you've got two starter-level PGs in Martin and Norton and then a handy guy named Cotton who can slide there if needed (plus a spare import spot in case of injury). White can also slide to SG so I think they have the perimeter covered.

Reply #711577 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I'm in favour of Vague getting more minutes at the expense of Hire and or Wagstaff.
Jervis and Norton are upgrades on Kenny and Cooke Jr.

Still smart to hold the import spot as an injury replacement for Martin, Kay or Brandt.

If someone on the bench has to make way I think Steindl looks the odd man out.

Reply #711585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague over Wagstaff? C'mon now, Vague isn’t even close to being the player Wgstaff is/was.

Reply #711597 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In my court side section at RAC Arena almost all groan when Hire is subbed in and it's starting to get the same with Steidl.

I agree that hire will he cut if an import is needed, but Steidl must be getting worried.

Bring in Vague in lieu of Steidl. That kid has so much potential and with extra court time he will only get better. Mind you he could do with a Big Mac or two. Maybe ask big Angus on some bulking up tips.

Reply #711600 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not saying Vague is better than Wagstaff but Wagstaff won't get any better he has a few hot games here and there but is mostly average. Would still give Vague Hire's minutes too.

Reply #711601 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Hey moderator who is this other J?? Surely you can't have the same username?

Reply #711680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Perth women's team need Mrs Steindl so its hard to see him being the one to get cut.

Reply #711687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J you seem to be forgetting the garbage you post. I would too.

Reply #711705 | Report this post

EagleCat9  
Years ago

Hire is pretty much useless and Steindl needs to go. For someone with a nice looking stroke, his shot selection is terrible. Jervis is serviceable off the bench but nothing special. Vague is raw but shows potential. Like others, I'd like to see an import 2/3 come in, Steindl let go and maybe even a development player come in over Hire. We're blessed with the rest however.

Reply #711739 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Vague st least shows potential, and has upside.
I had a lot of hopes for Steindl, but he's just too inconsistent. Shows great hustle, but his outside shot appears to have deserted him again. And IMHO Clint looks far better backing up the 3, rather than the 2.

Hire will always give you 110% on defence, but I'm not convinced that's enough anymore, as he seems flat.

Nobody is saying get rid of the lot, but it seems to me that they've 3~4 guys that you'd be happy to have as your 10~11th man. 1 needs to go.

Reply #711797 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Did we witness the future today?

Steindl, rightly or wrongly, I feel has cemented his spot with that incredible display. And it snot like they were all wide-open looks, a couple were off-balance and under pressure.
Vague continues to improve
Dech looked good in his first game for years

Hire got limited minutes and did nothing

When Damo returns, will we see a "season ending" injury to Hire to allow them to retain Dech?

Or will they pull the pin on a 3rd import?
I think it will depend on how the season progresses once they get into more road trips.

Perth obviously leading the league for now so won't be keen to make any changes.
But I think this season will be Hire's last.

Reply #713393 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754