Anonymous
Years ago

Latest on the Southern Huskies

Regarding today's announcement from The GCC
Today the Glenorchy City Council released a statement advising us and the broader media that they have rejected our offer to acquire The Derwent Entertainment Centre and the ongoing business concern that operates it.

Firstly, to say that we are beyond disappointed is an understatement, as we imagine that many of you are. We want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you that has joined us so far on this journey and continue to push forward with us. We couldn't have got this far without your support.

We have endeavoured to deal with the Glenorchy City Council in an open, transparent and accommodating manner at all times.

We want to make it clear that we’re not just acquiring a stadium alone, we are in fact attempting to purchase a loss making business with many legacy issues. Issues that we intend to overcome with significant investment and strong management. Immense commercial risk is undoubtedly a major component of this particular acquisition. It’s a risk we are willing to take in order to bring The DEC up to a modern standard. A standard that would provide an incredible experience every single visitor for every single visit, not just for Basketball fans but for entertainment fans and the wider community that rely on The DEC.

It’s our intention to build Tasmania’s premium entertainment hub, bringing tourism, jobs in construction, hospitality and retail and most importantly, community development and engagement to Glenorchy and the surrounding areas. We want to build something else that Tasmanian’s can be proud to call their own.

The NBL has changed immensely since the time of the Tasmanian Devils. It’s no longer possible to successfully run a team and be self-sufficient without the multiple revenue streams that we envisage in our plans. These plans have been in motion for over 18 months and began with our investment in the Hobart Chargers in 2017. The progression of these plans meant we’ve secured a licence for the Southern Huskies that would have seen us competing on-court in 2019 as part of the first phase of our journey towards the NBL. Today’s announcement sadly threatens that.

Ultimately we are not giving up but we need your continued support in order to press on. We aren’t asking for your money. We’re asking for your voice, your passion and your desire for the Southern Huskies to succeed. In just three short months we’ve added over 5000 Foundation Members, have thousands of dedicated Social Media followers and a subscriber list of close to 8000 people desperate to hear Huskies news. Supporters have been purchasing merchandise for a team that for all intents and purposes doesn’t exist. This shows us the passion is there. It shows us that Tasmanian’s genuinely want a professional sports team they can get behind.

Today’s announcement isn’t the end of the Southern Huskies.

We are exploring all avenues of opportunity in order to bring professional basketball to Tasmania. However, we only have a small window of time left before we need to make a very tough decision on whether it’s viable for us to proceed any further. If you want to see the Southern Huskies in Tasmania please make your voice heard.

#WeTheSouth
Thanks for being a supporter of the Southern Huskies.
We can't do it without you.

Topic #44170 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The state government should step in, sort this mess out. Bring on the Huskies now.

Reply #712330 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

They really don't seem to want it to work for the Huskies. I feel like maybe someone on the committee or whatever lives on a nearby road and doesn't want to hear the horrors of unsolicited noise or something. This is why Tasmania sucks and will always suck. Small minder crab people side stepping in eachothers way rather than moving forward.

Reply #712334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see why you don't post very often Shit for Thought. You obviously know nothing about the local situation.
Someone on a committee? I guess you don't know how local government works either.
BTW the DEC has been there for 30 years and the few neighbours that are 500m away wont hear a thing from a basketball game.
Crabs walk sideways mate, yo are doing the Tassie two step. You figure that out.

Reply #712339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Shit for Thought' LOL that's such a brutal and deep burn

Reply #712340 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

There's an article on the Mercury website (behind a paywall) that quotes a GCC source as saying that the Huskies offer was "below half" the lowest valuation of the DEC, and equivalent to "a nice house in Battery Point" (Hobart's most expensive suburb). Given the state valuer general's valuation was quoted as $4m, that would imply an offer of less than $2m.

Yet there's a comment from the Huskies on their Facebook page which says:

"We've not been able to see anything relating to the site so we took a stab in the dark at a valuation based on a losing business and land value. It turns out we were pretty close to the Valuer Generals valuation and would have paid it. We'll most likely seek to build our own stadium now."

Which would indicate it was closer to the $4m mark. Very odd way to carry out a negotiation. One presumes the newly built stadium won't be in the Glenorchy area, if you know what I mean.

Also, there's a line in the Huskies' statement about obtaining a license to play in an unnamed competition in 2019. Given the Tassie teams' woes with BV, I'm assuming it's not the SEABL replacement. NZNBL?

Reply #712341 | Report this post

AnkleBreaker  
Years ago

It is probably a bit of a complex scenario...

The GCC is not in a good financial position and has a history of poor management by the elected council members.

Therefore the council wants to maximise the amount of money they get for any asset. Which is the right thing to do for their community.

The Huskies don't want to pay too much for an asset that will require substantial capital investment to provide the venue facility they need to build & provide a quality entertainment venue. Overpaying for the asset is not good business, so they too are also doing the right thing.

Alternatively if the Huskies have the $$$, do a deal with TAS State Govt, and obtain some State Land and takeout a long peppercorn lease and build a new stadium from scratch hopefully with the Govt support to provide appropriate transport infrastructure.

Reply #712345 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ideally, if they could find a spot near the docks and build the entertainment precinct they are planning there it would be huge for Hobart. State govt should be right behind that and would make their venue even more viable. Lots of ifs and buts there, but would be a great result. On the flipside, doing it at the DEC has potential to be another significant boost for the northern suburbs, so hopefully the council handles this ok and gets the deal done with a slightly improved offer from Hydraplay.

Reply #712349 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

We are generally biased cos we love basketball, the council is probably biased cos they dont care about it.

Reply #712353 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Perhaps some of the thinking of some Councillors is that if they refuse to sell, force the consortium builds elsewhere, and then the council can close down the DEC and use/sell the land for something that is cash flow positive.

On a darker interpretation,
I know more than a few local Councillors whose thinking would be precisely that, some even have business interests/associates that make a good living off disposed disposed land that was ex Local govt, state govt, NFPs or community run NGO's and charities

Reply #712365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get out there and protest tassie make your voice heard. Someone chain themselves to the stadium.. We need the Huskies in the NBL. Love from Melbourne

Reply #712376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an impartial observer, whoever is speaking for the Huskies seems kind of like an unprofessional peanut. Who actually is It?

Reply #712385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hickey said recently on The Mercury's website
:ADAM SMITH, Mercury
October 30, 2018 8:14pm
Subscriber only
SOUTHERN Huskies bankroller Justin Hickey has declared Tasmania's immediate NBL push is all but over following the failed bid to purchase the Derwent Entert­ainment Centre."

Thanks to the GGC and possibly BA the future of Tasmanian elite basketball could be dead.

Reply #712390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they haven't actually thrown in the towel. Wouldn’t this be a tactic to try and hit council with the fear of loss in regards to having a local NBL team? Improve their position as far as negotiations go?

Reply #712418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin Hickey doesn't seem the person who could 'bankroll’ such a venture. At least going by the businesses attached to his LI profile.

Reply #712421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on ya mate. I looked up your LI profile under the name of Non Achiever.

Reply #712432 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

There's a new post on the Huskies’ Facebook page; Luuuc has posted a link in the other Huskies thread. It sounds much more positive than the Mercury interview with Hickey; basically they’ve completely shut the door on the DEC and will now look to build their own stadium ready for the NBL bid. Macquarie Point was mentioned as a possibility, as Paul suggested.

That of course leaves the question as to where they’ll play if they join the NZNBL next year. Assuming that the DEC is out of the equation, the only other venue I can think of is Kingborough, where the Devils used to play prior to the DEC being built, and it’s not very large.

Another thought - given how close David Bartlett is to the Huskies consortium, will this impact where the Chargers play next year, assuming they’ll be in the new BV league? It’s certainly been an interesting few weeks for Tassie basketball.

Reply #712464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave are you still involved with the Slingers?

Reply #712465 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

And yet these Taswegians think they can support an AFL team...Embarrassing!

Reply #712474 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

I'm not really involved with the Slingers anymore; I haven’t been up to Singapore in years. Michael Johnson is still there, though.

I’m actually based in Hobart these days, so the Huskies bid is of great interest. Hoping it all goes well for them!

Reply #712477 | Report this post

Big Fish  
Years ago

The latest post mentions the Huskies playing games in Launceston in 2019. They could be considering re-branding the Chargers as the Huskies in this new SEABL comp? playing games between Hobart and Launceston.

From memory Hydraplay are a sponsor (part owner?) of the Chargers.

Reply #712479 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dave, I would imagine they could still rent the DEC next year if needed. I hope they end up with a stadium at Macquarie Point, it would be better for them and better for the city, would be an amazing development in that spot if done right.

Reply #712494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The latest Huskies post makes no mention of playing in Launceston next year.
It says they will "definitely playing games in the North". and
"we aren't able to confirm the location and venue"
I wish people could read and comprehend.

Reply #712514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies have said they will build their own multi Sports facility. Watch this space in about 2 weeks. Huskies are far from dead.

Reply #712635 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Update? It's been two weeks or so

Reply #715935 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

A build and council approvals to build a stadium could take years!

If the council couldn't get organised on a sale of the venue how do we think the Huskies will go get a lease thats fair and reasonable negotiated?

Unless something happens and the state government get invovled we could be looking at 2021....the State Government need to dig in for Basketball in Tassie or the window might get slammed shut!

Reply #715946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposed to be an announcement this week.

Reply #715977 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

It doesn't surprise me they didn't make an announcement,we will probably be waiting a long time before any announcement unfortunately.

Reply #717617 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

One is coming soon...

Reply #717621 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Not sure where this is all headed now unfortunately.

Reply #717689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's not looking all that great, but I’m still hoping. Tasmania has always loved hoops and it would be a shame if all came to zilch over pettiness.

Reply #717711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville Suns Mk II

Reply #717720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with Brownsville Mark 2. You would have to have a Mark 1 for that to happen.
I was always a 80/20 on the Huskies thing and an original member. Now I am 20/80.
The NZ may go on but I still don't see it going anywhere.
No DEC, NO Huskies.

Reply #717772 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Huskies moving forward. 100% Exciting times ahead.

Reply #717932 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

More info?

Reply #717933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might even be today.

Reply #717953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nzbl. that is all.

Reply #717982 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Has this been officially announced?

Reply #718014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not yet. Not sure what's holding it up.

Reply #718067 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I can't understand why an overseas league would want a new team that would only be in the league for 3 to 5 years.

Reply #718070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably sorting out the schedule so they don't plat at the DEC, let the rate payers find more money. I believe they are going to play lots games up north.

Reply #718072 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Where in Hobart would they play?

Reply #718078 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I don't see them ever building a new stadium in hobart,i have done a google search on potential prices for a stadium and they would be looking at 40 million minimum for their size range.

Reply #718081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way property prices are going in Hobart they could spend $75M on a decent stadium and then sell it off after 10 years for about double that amount.

Reply #718082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current Government has promised $10mill. for a new 4? court facility. So that's a start. I would also guess that when the NZ stuff is finally realised that the group of Huskies playing in NZ would then become the dev players for the Huskies in the NBL.

Reply #718092 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I don't see them entering the nbl for 4 to 5 years,especially considering we lost a golden opportunity to own the DEC.

Reply #718111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No the GCC lost a golden opportunity to off load a white elephant that will now affect ratepayers for ever.

Reply #718140 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

True,the glenorchy city council will probably regret that decision,but we have also lost our big hope of getting an nbl team awell.

Reply #718162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not quite official, but The Mercury has the sccop in their paper today.
Paywall article.

"THE Southern Huskies are almost certain to have a team on the floor next year when they become the first organisation from Australia to join the New Zealand NBL. The Mercury can reveal the Huskies consortium, led by Justin Hickey and business partner Mike Sutton, are deep in negotiations with Basketball New Zealand about featuring in the 2019 season.

It is understood a verbal agreement is in place between the two parties, with a formal announcement expected in the coming weeks once minor details are finalised. The New Zealand NBL currently has eight teams based in Auckland, Christchurch, Invercargill, Napier, Nelson, New Plymouth, Palmerston North and Wellington, with the fixture starting in April and running until the end of July.
It is considered a stronger competition than the recently disbanded SEABL, with a number of locals and Australian players earning NBL contracts on the back of strong performances in the league. The likes of Tom Abercrombie, Alex Pledger, Corey Webster, Dillon Boucher, Tai Wesley and Reuben Te Rangi have all become household names in basketball after winning season and finals MVP awards in the past 15 years.

The NZ NBL this year had an 18-game home and away roster. It is believed the Huskies would have eight home games in Tasmania, split evenly between the north and the south.

The Silverdome would host matches in Launceston, while the Derwent Entertainment Centre — owned by the Glenorchy City Council, which recently rejected an offer from Hickey's HydraPlay consortium to purchase the venue — would be the logical choice in the south. However it is unsure how an arrangement would work given the bitter end to negotiations between the two parties. To reduce travel costs it is likely the Huskies would play double headers in New Zealand.

The move is also likely to have a considerable impact on the Hobart Chargers, both on and off the floor. Chargers coach Anthony Stewart, who guided the club to the SEABL championship, has openly declared his ambitions to coach at a higher level and would be a front runner to take the reins, while star trio Craig Moller, Tre Nichols and Mathiang Muo would all likely favour signing with the Huskies rather than playing in the newly formed Victorian Elite league with Hobart.

When contacted by the Mercury, chief executive of Basketball New Zealand Iain Potter declined to comment other than to say the league was in discussions with another team, while Hickey is overseas and unavailable.

Reply #718513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait to hear for their first few signings. OMG.

Reply #718908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put everything in here Daniel. Not the other old topic please.

Reply #719007 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

No worries!

Reply #719032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:03 am, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754