Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v Adelaide Nov1

Plenty of action on and off the court in Brisbane who are looking to re-invigorate themselves.

This will be a "push me-pull you" round for these teams. One game tonight in hot Brisbane, and then another one later this round in hot Adelaide, maybe with a new import for BrisVegas.

The Bullets with plenty of ex Sixers and Breakers making them the "John West" SixerBreakers.

This game will have a lot of very interesting matchups and it will be up to both coaches to squeeze the advantage where possible. Hodgson and Vukona will certainly trouble to more agile DJ, Wiley and Froling. Sobey and Deleon will battle wth the slower Gibson and the "slippery customer" in Cadee (sorry they're not my words. At the Sixers Season Launch some years ago when Cadee first joined the Sixers, Marty Clarke described him as a "slippery customer". I am just reminded of that comment and chuckle)

Deng and Te Rangi are the wildcards for both team. When Deng catches fire not even the FDNY can extinguish him, but he can overguard the cut and get caught on the back cut. Te Rangi seems to be the one who quietly steps up when necessary so keep an eye out for him.

Will certainly be an interesting game and series. The "John West" SixerBreakers, aka Bullets, will be a man down but this is probably an opportunity for someone to step up. I'm thinking with all the interruptions to the Bullets, the Sixers might just squeeze a W tonight.

Topic #44184 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

i think we miss ramone moore a bit .... even though not playing as well as last season ... still will be missed .... at jazz he looked comfortable ...not great ....but okish....
i think froling may have got 20points ..... seems a lot for a 20yo .....while some nblers caint do that ....no matter how hard they try ..

Reply #712765 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"It's the fish that John West reject that makes John West the best."

The Bullets organisation could learn a thing or two from John West.

Reply #712772 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The Bullets organisation could learn a thing or two from John West.

If John West vetted Brisbane's squad, there'd be just Bairstow.

Reply #712775 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adelaide to win.

Reply #712780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tip: crowd figure of 38?

Reply #712781 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No Patterson for the Bullets and no Moore for the Sixers probably cancels each out. After that humiliating loss in NZ I would expect the Sixers to bounce back tonight I think Sixers by 8 points.

Reply #712782 | Report this post

Can i put my life savings on the 36ers shooting more free throws than the Bullets?

Reply #712788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty safe bet , there .
Camel ................. fecit...........

Reply #712793 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Can I put my life savings on the Bullets shooting lots of 3s?

Reply #712794 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

What has happened with Te Rangi this year? He hasn't made a shot for the past couple of seasons but has managed to put the ball in the hoop at a good clip the last few weeks.

Reply #712795 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Mika shooting like he's playing for the Tall Blacks.

Reply #712796 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Both these teams are really jacking it

Reply #712797 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Great to watch

Reply #712798 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Had a giggle when one of the commentators said "reckless abandonment"..always thought it was reckless abandon

Reckless abandonment sounds like a criminal offence ;)

Reply #712799 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

This hogwash of having daggy looking people stand on court holding up pieces of cardboard advertising a god damn budget phone company is AMATEUR and OFF-BRAND for the league. Really poor stuff

Reply #712800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This hogwash of having daggy looking people stand on court holding up pieces of cardboard advertising a god damn budget phone company is AMATEUR and OFF-BRAND for the league. Really poor stuff"

Would you prefer to have the First Ever tv ads back instead?

Reply #712801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is a disaster.

Reply #712802 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

No I would NOT prefer the First Ever ads back but I would also not like to drink a glass of dog's piss. THat does NOT mean it is acceptable

Reply #712803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No I would NOT prefer the First Ever ads back but I would also not like to drink a glass of dog's piss. THat does NOT mean it is acceptable"

I know I was just joking around. But let's be real the league will take some sponsorship $$ any way it can right now regardless of how daggy it is.

Reply #712804 | Report this post

Years ago

Wouldn't like to drink dog piss but if you were paid couple million $$ youd down a glass and talk about first ever in the process.

Reply #712805 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Yeh I probably would

Reply #712806 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Drmic is a GOON. unsportsmanlike all day

Reply #712807 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Vukona should be tossed

Reply #712808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic 14 points already... dominating.

Reply #712809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tech foul on Sobey?? Hahahahaha. Amazing league.

Reply #712810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobeys keeps getting techs for getting hit above the shoulders.

Reply #712811 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I guess Sobey must have said something to earn that tech, bizarre otherwise. Should've been unsportsmanlike on Mika and Drmic.

Reply #712812 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lemanis has got in the referees ears with the old victim mentality trick and referees have felt like they need to "even" this up a bit.

When they actually called the first 15 odd minutes fine and Brisbane were just been whingers.

Reply #712813 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm loving Kerle's commentary he's really starting to warm to it now. All three Casey & trigger too seem to mesh well together.

Reply #712814 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Third man in is an automatic technical.

Adelaide didn't get the two and possession for the unsportsmanlike, they just gave Gliddon a free-throw. Do the refs not know the rules?

Reply #712815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic playing so well, then loses his cool. Why? 14 points on 6/7 shooting, why would you let them rattle you?

Wiley playing terrific too.

Reply #712816 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Drmic's not hard to rattle, I'm sure Vukona knows that.

Reply #712818 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Anyone going to play any defence in this one??

Reply #712819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulez - the end of the United/Adelaide game says they don't, but Drmic got a USF as well.

Reply #712820 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's no Drmic USF listed in the play by play that I can see, nor was one mentioned by the commentary team.

Reply #712822 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reuben TeRangi for most improved player this year?

Reply #712823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deleon needs his head read.

Reply #712824 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Te Rangi usually has 1 of these games a season and then goes back to airballing 3s and travelling in the post, but it feels like he's had more good moments than bad this season so far... maybe he's finally living up to his potential.

Reply #712827 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I dont mind DeLeon - but I think it's clear that Brisbane cant keep up with Adelaides fast break game. The problem is DL nullifies the faster style as he holds onto the ball for long periods and slows down the offence.

Really need a horses for courses approach I feel.

ADL can destroy teams in the fast break.

Reply #712829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the Entertainment basketbal league umps are at it again. and Drmic targetted by Vukona and gets away with a clearly intentional throat push. Disgraceful EBL but no surprise after the rubbish against Melbourne. It all starts again.

Reply #712830 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

121 points already scored in the first half.

Reply #712832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling for ROY

And yeah, take a swing at Sobey, he'll get slapped with the tech

Reply #712833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tune in to Fox Sports for two teams shooting free throws.

Reply #712834 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why is everyone saying Vukona "got away with" the thing he copped a USF for?

Reply #712835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR Drmic's USF is the first foul after the full time out at 5.06

Reply #712837 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

All Cadee needs now for another signature game is to not hit another basket until Adelaide stretch out to a 30 point 4th quarter lead before Cadee hits 4 threes in a row in garbage time.

Reply #712838 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What is up with Brisbanes defence?

How many times down the court have you seen the likes of Cadee or Gibson or Gliddon having to defend Johnson or Wiley. that's BBQ chicken.

Is the lack of mobility of the a Brisbane bigs failing to run back and match up with the ADL bigs finally showing. Bairstow is slow and Vukona is old.

Even on the zone defense Brisbane are still been caught with those mismatches.

Reply #712839 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Admittedly ADLs defence is also non-existant.

Reply #712840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide are playing Wiley and deny at the 3 a bit because Moore is out.

Reply #712841 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Why the hell was Larkins on the floor?

Reply #712842 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Can we try McVeigh to give us some height when we switch. Just try it Joey.

Reply #712843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brissy getting away with a heap of contact

Reply #712844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Brissy getting away with murder.
*looks at foul count*
Ummmm nevermind

Reply #712845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does larkins take his towel to bed

Reply #712846 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Still dont know why/how Cadee plays so many minutes.

If I was Brisbane I'd be cutting Cadees minutes dramatically and give them to Holt - he could be their key of his season gets going.

Cadee has somehow played the 2 most minutes out of everyone on this court (1 min behind Gliddon).

Brisbane should run Gliddon and Holt a lot more.

Reply #712848 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

This has got to be one of the most inept defensive performances ever from a Sixers team. To top it off, they are also getting out-hustled by Brisbane. Ownership needs to give Joey some money so he can cut DeLeon. This team needs a guy who can lead it defensively. How do you leave TeRangi that open when he already has 24 points?!?!

Reply #712849 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Joey was out of ideas in that last timeout, barely said anything useful. Never seen that before.

Reply #712850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another incident involving Adelaide and Drmic...

Reply #712851 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What's worse than an NBL ref?

An NBL ref with a visible shitty tattoo.

Reply #712852 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hate that tech. Not necessary at all.

Reply #712853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does anyone take this league seriously?

Reply #712854 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is it pronounced Tayes or Tees? Teys has a y in it so how is it Tees?

Reply #712855 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No way that justifies a tech against Froling. Rubbish. And then Te Rangi taunted him after so if by the stupidly low threshold for a tech now why wasn't one issued against Froling? My god.

Reply #712856 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

A tech for swearing.....

Reply #712857 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"How does anyone take this league seriously?"

They don't, well I hope they don't. I know I don't.

Reply #712858 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sorry issued against Te Rangi*?

Reply #712859 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cadee LOOOOOOOOOOL

Reply #712860 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Still a game while Cadee is out there.

Reply #712862 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Sobes2zero about to take over this one

Reply #712863 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How does Lemanis realise this? What a dodgy coach.

Reply #712864 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

not realise*

Reply #712865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol the overweight, incredibly long over his due date Gibson drains consecutive threee.

Reply #712866 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I know, right? Not a good look for the NBL.

Reply #712867 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So after the timeout where Joey said "let them drive, no threes" a billion are scored by Brisbane. lol

Reply #712868 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

DJ has been so disappointing lately after a good start to the season.

Reply #712870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't watch this crap anymore. Who is the head of umpiring?? They need to pull their finger out.

Reply #712871 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Why the hell Wiley & Deleon switching that pick.

Reply #712872 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

How many times in a row does Joey need to see DeLeon get stuck defending on the block before he does something?

Reply #712873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide. Most travelled, most games, most rubbish called against and no calls, they look like they've had enough already of this league. Can’t say I blame them.

Reply #712875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide. Most travelled, most games, most rubbish called against and no calls, they look like they've had enough already of this league. Can’t say I blame them.

Reply #712876 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Adelaide have to get much better defensively. The Perth/NZB/tonight games they've been atrocious on that end, and not good enough on the other to make up for it.

And leave Gibbo's weight alone - he just spent the offseason chowing down on his grandma's strawberries.

Reply #712877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey at least WILL NOT play in this league next year.

Reply #712878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good win Bullets. Bottom line the better team on the night got the choccies.

Reply #712879 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"And leave Gibbo's weight alone - he just spent the offseason chowing down on his grandma's strawberries."

Sick reference. Respect.

Reply #712880 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Imagine Brisbane with a good starting point guard. Jason Cadee is a backup at best. Great defense tonight.

Reply #712881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats going on with the umpiring an absoloute joke

Reply #712882 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Is Sobey going to play in Latvia or some shit

Reply #712883 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh well Bullets were the better team hope their play now starts getting some more people in.

On a Sixers front might be worthwhile just leaving Deleon at the airport.

Reply #712884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These umps are a f..in blight on the game ... you can't swear yet i heard 4 f bombs during the game . You can choke a player yet you can not try and untangle yourself when being held . Just pick one way f..kheads not one way for one team . Ruined the game

Reply #712885 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If Patterson is decent, this team will have championship contending potential. They're top 4 material I reckon

Reply #712886 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agreed about DJ Zodiac. His D was trash tonight. Needs to show more leadership. And Wiley might be a good athlete but he doesn't seem to have any idea defensively. We miss Childress and even Shorter badly right now.

Reply #712888 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Patterson would have to be MVP-level for that to be true, IMO. Top 4, maybe.

Reply #712889 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, DJ has never been a great defender, but for all Shorter's bluster his size along with Childress made the Sixers a bit of a defensive nightmare last year, and that's just all gone now. Sobey using more energy on offense and not showing the same defensive intensity he had last year either.

Reply #712890 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Steady on Manu - Sixers were garbage, no way Bullets are that good.

Reply #712891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complaining about refs? Might want to check who shoots the most FT's in the league....

Reply #712894 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Might want to also check how many 3's we take compared to other teams as well.

Reply #712897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the predictions that the Sixers wont make the playoffs are not as off-base as many believe

Reply #712898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit of numerology; Cadee, Bairstow, Gliddon and are Rangi each had 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

Reply #712900 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ease up on DJ. Sure responsibility of being captain is a factor. I prefer to have teys have the role
did larkins play tonight. What were his stats

Reply #712902 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

i know te rangi got 29 , but i thought gibson's 100 percent shooting was the difference.

Reply #712906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo was clutch

Reply #712907 | Report this post

Years ago

21 turnovers by adelaide. Never going to win with that many turnovers.

Reply #712909 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Not sure if it's an issue having Te Rangi and Delany have career nights on us. They aren't renowned player's, Te Rangi has been better this season but 29!
I know someone is going to score points when there is minimal defence played but surely you tighten up on someone when they are starting to get on top of you.

Reply #712911 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Perthworld, I genuinely believe they have championship potential if Patterson is decent, like a confident Blanchfield. But a consistently knock-down shooter.

Their guard play needs to be high-level and consistent, but their play from 3-5 is damn good. Damn good, with a decent Patterson.

You don't think Bairstow will be a top 5 big man in the league by the middle of the season?

Reply #712912 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

21 Turnovers for the Sixers tonight and allowed Brisbane to shoot 59% from 2 and 43% from 3. From memory, last season the Sixers had the best FG% in the league.

Wiley only 2 rebounds. Needs to show a lot more on the defensive end if the Sixers are going to make any noise.

Deng not doing enough either - he's an experienced player now and needs to start contributing more consistently.

It has admittedly been a tough schedule the past week and they are down an import, but they not only gave up a very winnable road game, they played Brisbane nicely into form heading back to Adelaide this weekend.

I wish Sixers ownership would find some more cash so we can replace DeLeon. Joey's switching defence means they should just go with a 'no midgets' policy when signing players.

Reply #712913 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Doug, you make a good observation about Delany and TeRangi. I would add Terrico White to that in the first game. All three of those guys tore Adelaide a new one because we have no big wings like Creek or Childress to contain them. Wiley not good enough defensively, Drmic not athletic enough and Moore not quite big enough. Its going to keep happening IMO, unless Sixers ownership bites the bullet and replaces DeLeon. Bit of a shame they seem to have burnt bridges with Creek and Childress right now :(

Reply #712916 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Brisbane shows how to beat Adelaide - need power foward in the post against their short line up, ie Te Rangi and Mukona vs DL and Drimic.

Reply #712917 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Never mind top 5...Bairstow will be a top 1 big man in the league by mid season

Reply #712918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Is it pronounced Tayes or Tees? Teys has a y in it so how is it Tees?"

House kays. Car kays.

Reply #712921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"21 turnovers by adelaide. Never going to win with that many turnovers."

Damn refs

Reply #712922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the reffing lost Adelaide the game. I think the refs in almost every game this season no matter who is playing have been appalling. It’s not great to watch anymore.

Reply #712923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore's absence really hurt tonight and highlighted the lack of squad depth. There was little productivity on the bench other than Froling.

Deng was poor and McVeigh is sadly not up to playing NBL this year.

Drmic getting caught up in Vukona’s mind games was disappointing as he was torching Brisbane and looking like a real difference maker. Sixers needed him in the second half and he went missing.

Given the team’s defensive game plan to switch screens, why would Joey sign and suit THREE undersized PGs?! Particularly against Brisbane with players like Vukona, Bairstow and Te Rangi who feast on posting up smaller guards.

Larkins is a lesser version of Doyle, who is a lesser version of Deleon, who is probably the worst import in the league. Having three players who provide the exact same thing (to varying degrees of success) whilst using up an import spot is ridiculous. I would take any current import over Deleon, any contracted player over Doyle and any DP over Larkins.

If Johnson and Sobey don’t combine for 50 on Sunday, I expect Brisbane to get another win.

Reply #712925 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You're right. He's almost top 5 atm. I was going to say top 3... Yeah top 3

Reply #712926 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Againwhytbe heavy demands and reliance on DJ. Need solid contributions across the team Deny Wiley Deleon Sobey.get off DJ back.let him play his game without undue pressure. Struggling with burden of leadership.

Reply #712927 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Wiley was ordinary tonight only 2 rebs in 26 mins.

Reply #712929 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Adelaide monstered them on the boards, yet gave it all back with the 21 turnovers. There are no free games this season, comp is close. Te rangi also hurt perth from 3 last week, lesser extent though. I have a feeling the scout in him will change soon.

Reply #712934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic went missing because the fans behind the bench got in his head.

And yes, Larkins does take that towel to bed.

I am surprised Adelaide didn't get a bench tech for walking onto the court, which they do a lot.

Reply #712938 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"why would Joey sign and suit THREE undersized PGs?!"

Umm, this Joey you're talking about. LOL

End of the day, you an't play small and then shoot 25% from outside.

Brisbane are strangely competitive this year, its certainly making the league interesting.

Reply #712942 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Adelaide's bench has been horrendous. I am not sure where last year's Majok Deng went but can someone put out a missing persons on him? And Deleon is not doing enough to justify his spot right now. When Adelaide is forced away from their style of play, they're left with only 3 consistent weapons and everyone else completely useless in any consistent way. When the game becomes a grind, Adelaide haven't got much of an answer. It will get easier when Moore comes back but I'd be looking at moving Deleon on and maybe getting right in Majok's ear.

Reply #712951 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Brisbane's bench was magnificent tonight, Gibbo, Vukona in particular were huge tonight and Te Rangi coming off the bench soon too and they will be fantastic along with Holt and Magnay will improve (still a 3rd import to come if they choose to take it).

Brisbane could be sneaky good but definitely good seeing them get another home win, will be interesting to see if they can attract fans to games or if we will continue to see it as the library.

Adelaide suck and McVeigh needs to see some court time as he needs 'on the job training' and the 36ers aren't going anywhere this season.

Reply #712953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk to any player with Dandenong seabl team and they were glad when Drimic wasn't there, I’m not surprised the crowd and the veteran Vukona got into his head. He’s got talent but talent on its own not enough.

Reply #712961 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"House kays. Car kays."

Makes sense now, thanks.

Reply #712962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Brisbane could be sneaky good but definitely good"

Record: 3-3 after three home games.

"Adelaide suck ... the 36ers aren't going anywhere this season"

Record: 3-4 after two home games.

Love the passion of being a sports supporter! It's so easy to get caught up in the latest moment.

Reply #712965 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good that Te Rangi had a big one. When he was retained in the off season you'd think they'd signed a rec leaguer or something with all the bagging he got. He's had a solid season so far and now has a break out game to go with it. Well done to him

Reply #712979 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sixers really miss Moore and his coolness. He can beat a defence with his dribble and slickness. But his defence is as bad as the rest of the team. Deleon holds onto the ball too much which might be okay if you are scoring 20. One game for the season where he hit a couple shots. I would be cutting loose, but they need Moore back first.

Reply #712983 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sixers sure love giving shooting confidence to opposition players. Gibbo 6/6 from the field, 4/4 from deep. Always seems to hit shots against 36ers. Last week they got Abercrombie and
Delaney into the groove. Last night Terangi and Gibbo. Both teams shot at high clip b ut 36ers poor 3pt percentage cost them badly as it always does.

Reply #712989 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Deleon is the scapegoat, every time Adelaide lose people call for his head but they will keep him.

Reply #712990 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm a little bit more measured than the average dickhead on here, Paul haha.

You don't see the potential in Brisbane?

Switchable pieces in Vukona, Te Rangi, Gliddon, Holt

Long range shooting in Cadee, Gliddon, Te Rangi, Holt, Gibson, Patterson

Active bigs who can rebound in Vukona, Bairstow, Hodgson

Multiple ball handlers/decision makers in Cadee, Gliddon, Holt, Gibson, Vukona, Patterson

Kind of okay as a passing team

Lemanis as coach. I rate the crap out of him. He just needs a smart unit, and he has more of that relative to last season (Vukona, Bairstow, Gliddon)

Reply #712996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awful game and really need to step up on defence

While I was sceptical the loss of creek would be so noticeable it is but maybe not for the right reason, it has left them small at that 3 spot, Drmic cannot defend larger SF's like Te Rangi or Abercrombie

Really the reffing is not completely awful (considering the standard they have already set, low bar i know), but it is concerning how in the past few Adelaide games the calls have dramatically changed after halftime. Both this game and the NZ game went from soft first half calling to free flowing second half with no apparent warning. Really need to work out what they are doing and just stick to it

Reply #713026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Manu, I definitely see the potential in Brisbane. At this point they're the best passing team in the league, which is where Lemanis tries to get with his teams. If Patterson can produce his previous two years' form they'll be highly-competitive, as I expected them to be this year if they got the SF position right. So far they're 3-3 without getting it right!

The point of my comment was not about Brisbane or Adelaide, more about how for many, their rating of a team can swing so much on the latest result! Every team in the league has quality about them and can beat each other, for many years now the NBL has come down to the little things being executed well each night and this season is no different. As boring as that sounds!

Reply #713031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The keys seemed to be:

Shorter could hold his own defending the post if there was a switch; DeLeon doesn't have the size/strength. As another said, Doyle/Larkins don't really provide an alternative look there. If you end up with Te Rangi on DeLeon or Vukona on Drmic, it's not to your advantage. I don't know why we didn't keep Shorter, especially if the replacement is a flexing and streaky shooter too.

Drmic gets on the boards but neither he or Teys are big at SF. Nor is Deng at PF. Froling is an ample replacement for Hodgson, but losing Creek and Childress for DeLeon/Wiley is a drop in strength.

Felt like a similar pattern to the game in NZ and as I said on Twitter, I wonder if the refs overcorrect if the 36ers burst out of the gates drawing fouls. Seemed to me like they suddenly worked to call some touchy stuff on Adelaide or letting anything at all go, and you could hear the refs backing each other up as though they lacked confidence on a few calls. Adelaide got sloppy in the second half in Brisbane.

Not sure I would've been lenient on Vukona for pushing Sobey's throat (Sobey was the one who got the tech!) but if you're Drmic, you can completely ignore any of that drama.

For all his energy, Wiley has five boards over the last two games.

Reply #713053 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I guess we should know when the Bermuda Triangle of the worst ref's in the game walk on to the court that ANYTHING could happen.

Reply #713054 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@Hogwash
Deleon stats are not living up to an import, that is why he is scapegoat. Shooting around 17 from 48 for the season but if you take out the Kings game where he stroked 6/7 from 3pt line, he has only hit around 10 from 40. His assist counts are low. I'm not a big fan of + and - stats but he has been one of worst performers on the team for this too. Unfortunately he becomes a scapegoat as an import is one area you can make change. Apart from that Kings game at home he hasn't produced anything and Shorter was much better player.

Reply #713152 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

First Kings game he was hot offensively, second game had a big impact defensively, since then he has struggled. Will be interesting to see whether at his age he has struggled with that big road trip or just hot and cold as we know him.

Reply #713177 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Perthworld, I genuinely believe they have championship potential if Patterson is decent, like a confident Blanchfield. But a consistently knock-down shooter.

Their guard play needs to be high-level and consistent, but their play from 3-5 is damn good. Damn good, with a decent Patterson.

You don't think Bairstow will be a top 5 big man in the league by the middle of the season?"

I'm starting to see this now Manu. Patterson remains the wildcard.

Reply #713632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754