Food for thought
Years ago

NBL 17K rating for Melbourne and Cairns

The ratings for the Melbourne and Cairns game was merely 17K, and unknown yet for the Perth game. I dare say 17K is a bit of a disappointment given the generally strong ratings that have otherwise been noted. However it rated the same as Golden State vs. Minnesota so maybe there's something to take from that. Also hard to know are the ratings for the Sydney game.

Topic #44207 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel average so far is around 20,000 and you would expect a game involving Cairns to be below average.

Reply #713536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet Sydney v Cairns got 33k

Reply #713546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is true it doesn't surprise me that extra people are tuning in to watch Bogut.
I did and I know plenty of people think I'm extra.

Reply #713548 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Average around 28,000 apparently, and the extra 8 is not insignificant when you consider that it is a third of the ratings there.

Reply #713549 | Report this post

Ratings  
Years ago

According to media guy at the NBL it is 13.5k average last season on Fox to 18.3 this year. FTA from 29k to 42k.

https://twitter.com/nick_nbl/status/1054298152121974784

Reply #713553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is true it is a great increase!

Reply #713557 | Report this post

Years ago

It's a great increase, especially when you consider the season is young, people have only just started switching their minds off of the AFL season, and there have been a few big sports running at the same time. Still those numbers are a long way away from ideal

Reply #713573 | Report this post

Years ago

It's a great increase, especially when you consider the season is young, people have only just started switching their minds off of the AFL season, and there have been a few big sports running at the same time. Still those numbers are a long way away from ideal

Reply #713574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the little publicity basketball gets its doing very well, the one day cricket game in Perth today was nearly empty from the news coverage. Not on free to air any more either.

Reply #713779 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

For me, the most encouraging thing in the tweet was that the percentage increase this season over last was similar for both FTA and Pay-TV. That suggests an underlying growth in people choosing to watch NBL rather than simply the impact of switching to an FTA network with higher overall exposure than SBS.

On a more cautious note, I'm curious to know whether the comparisons are with the average for the whole of last season or the season to date. I think there were some moderately high rating FTA games early in last season (40K-50K?) and then regular season numbers dropped below that promising start for the rest of the regular season?

Reply #713827 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

FWIW I saw those STV numbers the year before, 14K average in 2016/17 and 18K in 2017/18, and talk from those at the league is it has increased again this season. It's baby steps, but with 120+ matches on Fox each year a small increase in average produces a significant cumulative increase and that is important for sponsors.

The FTA average was stubborn around 30K for years, even when ONE was showing games at 10.30pm! The last year on Ten the Sunday arvo ratings got up quite a bit higher, but apart from that it's been consistent.

The other interesting thing is Round 1 generally produces one of the biggest audiences, so the 65K for the first game isn't surprising, the trick is whether those numbers can repeat a bit or whether it will settle back to the 30K give or take over the season.

Reply #713830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice to see Sydney v Illawarra got an average of 29K on Fox on Friday. While that is low in the bigger picture, it is definite progress. It used to be grand finals got around that on Fox.

Reply #713877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the nbl tv figure averages available, most people I know watch it that way. I think there is a lot more people watching than most peth

Reply #713880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the nbl tv figure averages available, most people I know watch it that way. I think there is a lot more people watching than most peth

Reply #713881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the nbl tv figure averages available, most people I know watch it that way. I think there is a lot more people watching than most think

Reply #713882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754