Fryz
Years ago

Hawks (not very) Major Club Announcement at 11am

Stratford just posted on twitter, tagged @NBA in it.
Only 6 minutes away, but thoughts?

Topic #44237 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're preparing to sign ex-NBA journeyman Alonzo Gee?

Reply #714462 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Hawks posted a photo of shootaround at 11, all imports present. Who knows.

Reply #714463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be the first NBL team to participate in next year's NBLxGLeague promotion

Reply #714464 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it the indigenous thing they posted on their site? That mentions Patty Mills (indigenous but not exactly playing in the game they're advertising...) and Andrew Bogut (NBA relevance I guess).

Reply #714465 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Must be? Totally misleading then. And Bogut played a preseason game at the WEC. Relax everyone, Hawks aren't getting any better today.

Reply #714469 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #714473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inb4 ME asks where their white heritage jersey is.

Reply #714474 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, underwhelming and misleading. But I do support an Indigenous round. I usually don't really care for all the lefty pulls for "inclusion" but I think another jersey variation is always welcome and I like some of the dot painting art. Let's be fair though, mentioning NBA players in an article is as close as Illawarra is going to get to having an NBA affiliation so fans had better soak this up.

Reply #714475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I usually don't really care for all the lefty pulls for "inclusion""

You don't care for inclusion but you like alternate jerseys and coloured dots appeal to you? I think you might need to re-prioritise a few things in your life.

Reply #714477 | Report this post

Years ago

I don't care for a major sport specifically celebrating different groups because it seems tacky and it is a cheap ploy. I also didn't overly like it when the NBL decided it was its place to lobby for gay marriage. But I like alternative jerseys and they will probably look good, so I don't overly care.

Reply #714479 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You don't care for inclusion but you like alternate jerseys and coloured dots appeal to you? I think you might need to re-prioritise a few things in your life.

Settle down, we don't need NPCs on this site.

There is nothing wrong with an indigenous round or creating an environment celebrating indigenous culture.

Reply #714483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why tag the NBA in it what a flog.

Reply #714485 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

@Food For Thought does the Breakers jersey with Maori designs on them get up your nose a bit too?

Reply #714490 | Report this post

Years ago

I said I like alternative jerseys and don't overly care. So does that answer your question Curtley or do you need it broken down further for you?

Reply #714492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is an NPC?

Reply #714494 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NPC = "non player character". Google it. Basically a term to describe SJWs (social justice warriors)

Reply #714501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically a term to instantly dismiss someone's point of view because those on the right don't know how to form an argument.

Reply #714504 | Report this post

Years ago

People on the right don't know how to form an argument? Is what the left is doing at the front of Tucker Carlson's house today "forming an argument" is it?

Reply #714511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awww poor Tucker.

Reply #714513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea by the hawks and for the aboriginal community. It's done in all codes so not a first but well done anyway.

Reply #714520 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Ladies, gentlemen,

This is a Basketball forum and the thread is about a club celebrating indigenous culture at a future game, which they are totally allowed to do,

This is not a political forum, lets stick to the topic of the thread

People are allowed to like or dislike clubs doing this without being attacked by others, especially since all forms of logical or intelligent arguments on the topic seem to have ended and turned into petty cheap shots. Especially by people who are Anonymous who are attacking someone who just expressed an opinion.

People got to learn how to play the ball and not the man if they want to claim that they are making logical arguments and discussions.

Once you start attacking the man, it shows you have no logic left and therefore have lost the argument.

Personally, I wish the hawks all the best with this celebration, which they likely also hopes helps increase their profile in their local and the wider community, which whether you agree with the politics or not, is only a good thing for the NBL.

Reply #714522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This deserves an announcement?!

Let's celebrate a dying culture with some tokenism and jerseys!

Reply #714529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TBH it's just more "it works for the AFL" crappola.

It makes sense for the AFL:
They claim their sport is notionally based on an Indigenous pastime (which the Celts then stole apparently)
Aussie Rules is hugely popular throughout remote Indigenous communities.
There is a huge history of Indigenous players being the best in the Aussies Rules Leagues, and I do mean huge.

I don't see any of those being relevant to the NBL, or the Hawks. Who was their last Indigenous player?

Reply #714538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Presumably Tyson Demos.

Reply #714543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the guy that said this isn't a political forum, should we have a politics thread?

Reply #714557 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

No, not in my opinion

This is a basketball forum

Im sure there are plenty of political sites people can visit if they wish

Reply #714563 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Sure discuss whether you like it or not as to how it relates to the NBL, Hawks, etc

Just no need to start bashing people based on non related, more political topics, because they have a different view to you

Reply #714564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The basketball commentary on the political sites is actually pretty good too !

Reply #714637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I suppose an interesting thing would be considering what NBL teams could have as their equivalent of the NBA's 'City' jerseys - alternate jerseys with dramatically different themes, designs, colours, often a different name or nickname for the city included etc. e.g. for Sydney, a blue HARBOUR CITY naming and theme could work.

Reply #714664 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great idea. Wildcats would be PERTHWORLD on the front of their jerseys and WAIT AROUND on the back!

Reply #714674 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great idea. Wildcats would be PERTHWORLD on the front of their jerseys and WAIT AWHILE* on the back!

LOL, how did I typo the name of my state? I should be banished to the East!

Reply #714676 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754