Reply #715333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they haven't signed him

Reply #715334 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

As is tradition.
Cheap out on a rubbish import to start the season.
Suck for the first month or 2.
Sack that import, like everyone expects.
Bring in a known quantity, who is an MVP level player.
Make a late charge to make playoffs.
Lose to Perth/Melbourne.

Reply #715344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As is tradition.
Suck for the first month or 2.
Sack that import, like everyone expects.
36ers announce signing of a quality MVP level import.
Adelaide fans continue with the cynicism.

Reply #715361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress would be good too but would this affect froling minutes when he is starting to fire really well
And is there something wrong with Mc Veigh no minutes today

Reply #715362 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

A l'inverse, l’ailier US Demetrius Conger a probablement livré son dernier match avec le MSB. Son rendement n’est pas vilain (11,2 d’évaluation en 27′) mais son profil ne convient pas au coach. D’après Ouest France, il aurait déjà trouvé un autre club.

Conversely, winger US Demetrius Conger has probably delivered his last match with the MSB. His performance is not ugly (11.2 evaluation in 27 ') but his profile is not suitable for the coach. According to Ouest France, he has already found another club.

Reply #715363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy the cellar.

Reply #715386 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure this does a lot for Adelaide's defense, but he's a dynamic player and fills more of a need than DeLeon.

Reply #715412 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

fake news

Reply #715415 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

fake news

Reply #715416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't really blame Deleon. Poor decisions made by the Sixers from the start.

I wouldn't mind being the Prime Minister of Australia, but that doesn't mean I should be or am I anywhere near the best person for the job but would you really say no to it?

Reply #715428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That didnt stop Scott Morrison!

Reply #715430 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

or Malcolm Turnbull, or Tony Abbott, or Julia Gillard, or Kevin Rudd. Glad NBL teams do imports better than we do PMs!

Reply #715432 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big name signing. But what do people think? Can he improve the Sixers atrocious defence enough to get them back on track?

Reply #715442 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He fits the way Adelaide want to play defence better than DeLeon, and he is also a decent rebounder who can then put it on the floor and start the break. I think he's an excellent fit, and Wright will ride him if he doesn't at least put the effort in on D.

Reply #715444 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

On what I saw with him at the Hawks last season I don't think he will improve the defence that much however he will give us the option of putting an athletic wing on the types of guys that keep torching us like Gliddon, Te Rangi, Delany etc

I think it's clear with this team neither DJ or Sobey can be expected to carry the offence Conger will give us 20 a game and allow those two to slip into roles they're more comfortable with DJ a #2 option and Sobey a #3.

Reply #715445 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I totally agree that he is a better fit defensively for Joey's switching defence. We have seen over several seasons now that small guards are major defensive liabilities for the Sixers.

I’ve also seen what you’re talking about with big wings killing the Sixers Zodiac. It’s probably the most glaring common factor in every Sixers loss this season: Terrico White, TeRangi, Delaney and Newley have shown that the Sixers have no one who can cover them.

Hopefully Conger can get up to speed quickly, because the Sixers can’t afford to drop too many more games now!

Reply #715462 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Conger is a great signing for Adelaide and full credit to them for moving Deleon on.

They still lack a quality point guard though.

Reply #715464 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

On DJ, I think he could carry the offence if we had a good point guard. The Sixers are absolutely hopeless at identifying mismatches and feeding the right player in the correct spots. Against Sydney, they should have been forcing Bogut and Kickert to guard DJ at the three point line as often as possible, but they rarely even tried to manufacture that scenario. Drmic could be an offensive weapon, but there are rarely any plays run to get him an open shot. He was so frustrated at his lack of opportunities that he forced a couple of bad shots late in the game yesterday. Likewise get Deng and Froling more open threes early in the game and watch the floor open up for Sobey and Wiley to get to the rim at will. There's so many offensive options that get wasted on this team, it drives me nuts almost as much as the defensive lapses!

Reply #715465 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Beantown, that is what frustrates me about Joey's system too.

Reply #715480 | Report this post

Kellies Phone  
Years ago

A lot of pressure on sobeys shoulders to run the point.

Doyle and larkins unlikely to play any more minutes, Teys might get a bit more burn and spot minutes at the 1, but I imagine Ramone Moore will be the Big winner, playing a lot more minutes at the 2 spot.

Reply #715481 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's our projected starting 5?

Johnson/Froling
Wiley/Deng
Conger
Moore/McVeigh
Sobey/Teys

Reply #715485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larkins dad will get the chequebook out don't worry

Reply #715498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this signing vault the Sixers into title contention?

Reply #715513 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

No it does not.

Reply #715516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playoff contention

Reply #715517 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Maybe re-rails the train back to Playoffville but certainly not on the Grand Final bullet express.

Reply #715523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the first time the violet crumbles have beaten the Sixers in ages and look at the Kings fans get some hope ahahaha, we all know how they play well for abit and then choke out like the garbage manufactured club they are. I mean, how pathetic to be loaded with that much talent and still only "hopeful" of making the playoffs.

Reply #715886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually makes me think that the Sixers do this deliberately. Sign a temp import. Then hope and pray that another import comes out of contract while OS. It has happened too often to not start thinking conspiracies

Reply #715912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET - No Drmic?

Reply #715922 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

They have 3 games against the Hawks in the next 2 weeks, although there are no easy games, I think 3/3 is a realistic goal. From .500 we can build on that.

Reply #715924 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Interesting theory.

07/08 - Mike Chappell (released for Julius Hodge)
08/09 - Mark Tyndale (released for Julius Hodge)
08/09 - Julius Hodge (released for Rod Grizzard)
10/11 - Craig Winder (released for Eddie Shannon)
10/11 - Troy DeVries (released for Ron Howard)
11/12 - John Williamson (released for Diamon Simpson)
12/13 - CJ Massingale (released for Scott Christopherson)
13/14 - Jarrid Frye (released for Rhys Carter)
14/15 - Daequon Montreal (released for Brock Motum)
15/16 - Kenyon McNeail (released for Jerome Randle)
17/18 - Ronald Roberts (released for Alan Wiggins)
17/18 - Alan Wiggins (released for Josh Childress)
18/19 - Adris DeLeon (released for Demitrius Conger)

Reply #715925 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Drmic needs to expand his skill set beyond elbowing people to be part of the regular roster

Reply #715947 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

On the above

Chappell - Injured - blood disease or similar
Devries - Injured hernia
Williamson - never played , injured
Hodge - stopped playing
Montreal - was recoverably injured but you take Motum 100% of the time
Frye - Injured planta fascia
McNeail - Injured
Roberts - Injured bad knee
Wiggins - Injured broken arm

so only 4 of the releases have been bad fit or seeking a superior talent

Reply #715963 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't the Roberts case a bit more "injured" than *injured*?

Rather than "they're signing a placeholder while waiting for someone better", isn't it more realistic that they're just trying to get away with the cheap guy first?

Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Wonder if anyone has had another crack at that import the Hawks got in who dominated a pre-season game and then asked to be released?

Reply #715992 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So the only year since 06 we have kept our imports for the whole season was 2016/17, where we had the league MVP, and an NBA draftee, and finished top of the ladder.

Reply #716040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^
And should've been champions except for a huge choke.

Reply #716047 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So the only year since 06 we have kept our imports for the whole season was 2016/17

And the 2009/10 season which from memory was the first full season of the SOS ownership group when money was tight we stuck with John Gilchrist and a severely under-performing Cortez Groves the whole season and finished bottom for the first time.

Reply #716050 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If he's something like Patterson .........will be pretty to watch.......

Reply #716079 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Apparently his licence has been delayed.

Le Man are demanding a €100k clearance fee

Reply #716081 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , there you go..........those who live by sword , die by the sword , kelly

Reply #716086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Confirmed by the NBL now.

Reply #716175 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Moore probably has reason to worry now. This actually makes the need for more options at the point guard spot even more pertinent. Sobey is not a point guard and Adelaide will suffer the longer they try to make him one. This makes Adelaide better as a team but for them to make the Grand Finals they need a solid point guard. Might be time for people like Boti Nagy and co to stop mocking Shannon Shorter, because if you brought him back in place of Moore right now you actually have a well balanced team that can contend.

Reply #716196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the guy leading the league with 6.2 assists per game isn't a point guard? He must be doing a pretty good impersonation then ;-)

Reply #716199 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Andrew Bogut is 7th in assists. Does this make him a point guard too?

Reply #716201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he the clear leader in assists? No, he's no even close, he's the best passing big man. Sobey carries the ball, runs the offence and dishes out clearly more assists than the next best in comp. Bogut doesn't fit any of those criteria. Not a good comparison there Cram!

Reply #716207 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ahhhh, adding qualifiers post initial comment. Genius.

Reply #716209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some would call them qualifiers, others would see them as rather obvious points that don't really need to be said.

Reply #716224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, the coach would like to sack/trade out some too comfortable Aussies.

Who would go?

Who would be their replacements?

Reply #716233 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah, nothing like basing your assessment on a single stat.

Jason Caddee and Jerome Randle both average 4.4 assists, so clearly Caddee is equal to Randle as a PG. ROFL.

Reply #716234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So AD, given Sobey plays point guard for Adelaide, and leads the league comfortably in assists, what makes you say he's not a point guard?

Reply #716243 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Playing PG and being a natural PG are 2 different things. Andrew Gaze spent much of his career handling the PG duties. That doesn't mean that was his natural position even though he's one of the all time leaders in assists.

For the record, I think Sobey can do a good job at PG - as evidenced by his form. One stat from a small sample size doesn't really tell the story though does it. How's his team doing?

I think they'd be better off with a natural PG allowing him to focus more on scoring.

Reply #716247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide were doing fine until they lost their SG. Let's see how they go now they're at full strength. Re his best position, he has previously been a SG but has gone up a level now he has shifted to PG, that tells me it's not an unnatural spot for him.

Reply #716251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would point guards like Randle and Ware be too different from Sobey? What's the ideal modern point guard anyway?

Reply #716273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two types of modern point guards.

Bryce Cotton
Mitch Norton

Reply #716281 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The nature of positions is certainly changing, and PGs are often big scorers these days too, but you still want someone at starting PG capable of running the show.

This means more than just getting assists. It means making sure the offense runs well, and finding ways to get your team mates involved when the offensive structure is struggling.

In this respect, you're right Isaac, Ware and Randle are more like undersized shooting guards, but at least they've got other guys around them who are capable of creating.

I'll admit I haven't actually watched any Sixers games this season, so I can believe he's made a jump in that position. But nothing I saw from him in the past made me think he's a natural PG.

I've actually never suggested he can't play PG, I just find it funny when someone cherry picks one stat as if that tells the whole story

Reply #716284 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Making assists is a good thing but it does not mean that part of your game is your strength or that is what you should be relied upon to do. Nathan Sobey is a slasher, scorer, and decent passer. He shouldn't really have to be always setting up the offense as well. He shouldn't be the main point guard on the team.

Reply #716290 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Conger should be a strong edition to the sixers,my type of ideal guard would be Luka Doncic now all we need is a Arab sheikh to invest some coin to get him here.

Reply #716292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti just now:

My (e)mail is DeLeon was playing for about $5,000 a month, which is extraordinary and means that yes, he was every cent value-for-money. I'm also hearing Conger will cost more than five times that amount. Does leave you wondering about the club's present player policies.

Reply #716295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If one of the policies is to recruit better players then I am all for it

Reply #716298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was he cut or 36ers had a better deal,from Le Mans Sarthe, after 9 games 27mins 10pts 3 rebs 57% 2pts 27% 3s

Reply #716301 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

So DeLeon was on $60k p.a (FWIW i assume Jett would be on similar and is performing better, DeLeon was an ok player, sort of an import Cadee, but not the player i wanted as either a import or Aussie on any amount, as i dont rate hot and cold chuckers like Cadee and DeLeon)

Conger to be on $300k p.a, 300-400k is what most top imports make in the NBL with a couple like Cotton likely to be on more.

Sounds about right to me, what did people expect?

if your willing to spend the extra cash then its an absolute no brainer to make this move.

Reply #716302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah 300k sounds fair to me too. Conger is a force.

Reply #716304 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I personally dont get Botys love affair with DeLeon and hatred to Shorter.

He called Shorter a dud in all areas and said he couldnt defen, make plays, and DeLeon was an upgrade,

Had Boty seen him play?? (obviously yes) or was Shorter just rude to him and the media or something??

Shorter was better than DeLeon at EVERYTHING, except maybe 3 pt shooting when DeLEon got hot once or twice.

Also pleyed big minutes on a grand final team after replacing a MVP in Randle.

As much as i like Ramone Moore and was glad he returned, but given his form and injury troubles, i cant help but wonder what the 36ers would look like with a line up of, either now or from the start of the season. Cost wise i dont think it would be a huge difference between Shorter and Moore either.

Shorter, Sobey, Conger, Wiley, Johnson

Reply #716306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So they saved around $60K with this move (say $25K-$5K/month since mid August). Times are tough in Adelaide.

Reply #716309 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

So they saved around $60K with this move (say $25K-$5K/month since mid August). Times are tough in Adelaide.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the placeholder theory, but $60k is not worth putting the team in a 3-6 hole.

Reply #716312 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You'd hope not.

Reply #716313 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The number of assists is not the problem for Sobey. I think what most posters above are suggesting is that he is not a General on the floor. The Sixers need a leader who can assess matchups and defence on the fly and then get his team-mates to run the right offensive play most of the time. The Sixers lose too many games because (amongst other things) they don't do a good job of consistently exploiting their offensive advantages.

I mentioned in another thread that DJ had barely any pick and pop action run for him in the Sydney game, which beggars belief because neither Bogut nor Kickert can guard him that far from the basket! Likewise, why does Drmic barely get any plays run to get him an open look on the perimeter?

It doesn't have to be Sobey who shows leadership here, but someone on the Sixers needs to and I don't see too many other obvious options yet!

Reply #716314 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea, it appears they were trying to get to the playoffs or atleast get real close on a much cheaper team than last year, which obviously hasnt worked

Replacing

Creek
Shorter
Childress
Hodgson

With the much cheaper group of

McVeigh
DeLeon
Wiley
Froling

Thankfully they realised they had to make this upgrade to Conger or risk that fans would basically give up and stop attending with the way the team was going.

Reply #716315 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

DJ should not have been made Captain because he lacks that leadership quality.

Reply #716317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think what most posters above are suggesting is that he is not a General on the floor."

After flopping he is generally on the floor.

Reply #716328 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Where do you guys see Conger's role in this team?

Are we expecting him to create? Or fill in Creek's role?

Will he be a primary scorer or still be behind DJ and Sobey-Wan-Kenobi?

Reply #716342 | Report this post

To the poster who said Moore should now be worried.... 1) no imports can be cut after 9 games now unless they are paid out and 2) he was signed to a two year deal!

You have to question why the club handed him a two year deal in the first place. As good as he was last year I don't think you could safely assume he would provide equal that output or more in an elevated starters role. Let’s remember there was a reason united cut him. One can only assume the financial terms were good for the club as everything bar the conger signing has been about being tight this season. Moore has had a poor year to date but I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt those first four games potentially playing injured.

I also heard that shorter was offered a contract but the financial terms were insulting. Seems boti has spilled the beans on Deleon’s wage I’d imagine it was a similar offer.

Reply #716390 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well no, according to Boti he was on $5k a month.
You're assuming he gets paid for 12 months, but imports don't

Reply #716399 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A good interview with Conger by the NBL even last season with the Hawks I thought he sounded thoughtful and well spoken. He confirms the rumour at the time that we were talking to him during the off-season.

Good to know even whilst playing in France he was still taking an interest in the league watching NBL games and says he and NZB import Patrick Richard were teammates at the end of last season in Spain.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/conger-pumped-for-nbl-return

Reply #716623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good get for Adelaide. Conger is beast

Homocide on suicide watch

Reply #716670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754