Alex Loughton 35 Cairns
David Andersen 38 Hawks

POSSIBLY
David Barlow 35 United

Can any one see who can replace this players

Topic #44350 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow and Vukona certainly to continue playing, Martin I would think.

Reply #718301 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

If Martin's body holds up he becomes a pretty handy bench player for Perth, Norton to take the starting 5 spot next year (maybe even before the end of this year).
So I don't think he'll retire just yet.
Anderson the only certainty in my mind on that list, maybe Loughton too.

Reply #718307 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Is Oscar Forman or Jacob Holmes still playing? Or is all 2002 title team now retired?

Reply #718313 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Andersen may keep on playing in order to have one more Olympic Games berth.

Reply #718316 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Jasmine, No active players in the NBL at all from when Adelaide won 2002 title.
Andersen was in NBL prior to that but overseas in 2002.
Forman was last man standing from that team.

Reply #718320 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Holmes retired years ago, last year was Forman's last season.

Reply #718370 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Loughton was really good sometimes last year but has now lost a step of pace. I think he will retire.

Damo has another year in him.

Reply #718398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think we will see Damo back in the starting lineup this year. Norton will have taken that spot with his play so far, and expect Damo to suggest/ back that change.

Reply #718416 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Perth win their 9th title my tip is Damo will retire.

Reply #718419 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Thanks for the responses. Hard to believe the kids on that last title team are now retired men with whole NBL careers behind them. I must be getting old.

Reply #718480 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think Damo has a few more years left in him but moreso letting his minutes dwindle down and coming on as an impact player and we know he will make an impact, as has Andersen and Vukona.

Loughzy has looked to be playing injured for much if the season so far and I wonder if he wasn't captain if he'd have pulled up stumps already.

As for who will replace these legends, apart from saying that Mitch Young to get more court time, I think everyone else is still gonna play on until 2020

Reply #718507 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Vukona has 2 year deal and I think Barlow will play on.
Loughton and Andersen might retire.

Martin could play on having Norton really helps as he can play majority minutes and leave Martin on bench.

Surely Greg Hire is in his last season.

Reply #718518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think we will see Damo back in the starting lineup this year. Norton will have taken that spot with his play so far, and expect Damo to suggest/ back that change.
Agree with that. Wildcats would be smart to play Martin sparingly off the bench to keep him fit for finals.

Barlow could easily play on. Looks like a spring chicken. Vukona is playing pretty well.

I can see Illawarra pulling the pin and Andersen retiring.

Reply #719040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Surely Greg Hire is in his last season."

If he keeps his recent form up, the Cats would be wanting to keep him around.

Reply #719044 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I don't think we will see Damo back in the starting lineup this year. Norton will have taken that spot with his play so far, and expect Damo to suggest/ back that change.
Agree with that. Wildcats would be smart to play Martin sparingly off the bench to keep him fit for finals."

Agree. Cats would be better served to get used to Norton starting ahead of Martin. Intensity in finals game starts might lead to injury. Bring him on in a lull, let him warm up and lift the intensity above what most 2nd units can manage as his body warms up. He could also be used to close out close games.

Next season: less time reducing to spot minutes for his final season.

Reply #719122 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Damo will depend on his body.
He's an awesome defensive option to have coming off the bench, and can easily play on if his body is still up to it. The ability to bring him on to shut down a opposition guard who's running hot, could be a game changer. But when his body can nolonger play with that intensity, he'll retire.
He may also consider whatever their future plans are for the next bench PG. Dech is getting a good run, but IMHO isn't quite there next.

Wagstaff should make 300 games, all with the Wildcats, this season. If he wins his 5th championship, he might consider retirement.

Hire will depend on Wagstaff, the direction Gleeson chooses to go with the SF role, and/or any import(s).

In what is obviously a bargain basement side, Andersen is proving effective off the bench. I guess it will come down to how little he's prepared to be paid and who they can afford as a replacement.

Vukona will play on.

Barlow is having a great season, will definitely play on (somewhere.)

Loughton is probably done.

I would not be surprised to see a cleanout at Sydney at the end of this season.

Reply #719138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^ yes both lisch and Newley have slowed and are on big dollars.

Reply #719147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754