Perthworld
Years ago

FIBA World Cup Qualifier: Australia vs. Iran (30/11/2018)

When: 4:30PM (7:00PM CDT, 7:30PM EDT), Friday 30 November 2018
Where: Margaret Court Arena, Melbourne, Victoria
TV: Fox Sports 5 (ch. 506)
FIBA World Ranking: Australia #10 (#1 in Asia), Iran #25 (#2 in Asia)
Odds: Australia $1.07 $8.00 Iran (line set at 33.5 points)
Last meeting: Australia 79-56 Iran (20/08/2017 - 2017 FIBA Asia Cup Final)
Live stats: http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/game/3011/Australia-Iran
No. of Spudees: Australia 1, Iran 0

Iran are the second best team in the Asia-Oceania zone, but with the line set at 33.5 points by bookmakers it should be another one-sided affair. Win and we qualify to the World Cup.

Topic #44384 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Damn, thought it was tonight so I had something to watch!

Reasonably weak side, but should still get the job doe comfortably.

Reply #719674 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Is this game on nbl tv by any chance?

Reply #719694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game isn't NBL, so I doubt it.

Reply #719701 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Only Fox.

Reply #719740 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

See, this is the shit we need to get on FTA.
Aussies kicking some Ayatollah Arse

Reply #719816 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Nah, we don't need this game on FTA. It's going to be an ugly mess, and as ugly as it gets, Australia will win by about 40. Iran is apparently resting their best players, so bloody good luck to them keeping it competitive by any stretch.

Reply #719838 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Won't be worth watching.
Would rather watch Horn smash Mundine.

Once Australia qualify officially they should blood more youngsters during February window.

Reply #719839 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Horn-Mundine lol. The quality of boxing in this country is shocking. Wilder-Fury this Sunday on the other hand...

Reply #719849 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Sigh...

So FTA should be reserved for what you want to watch?
Because that's what's going to grow Basketball Popularity in the is country.

Reply #719880 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm torn about whether being on FTA would help or hurt basketball. I'm all for getting basketball in front of as many eyes as possible and lifting the profile of the Boomers, but I don't expect this to be much of a spectacle.

Reply #719882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got a Foxtel "free sports" offer for a few weeks. Will be watching for sure.

Reply #719946 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Why on earth is Cameron Bairstow not in this Boomers team??

Reply #719951 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

He hasn't played nearly well enough. This isn't 2016.

Reply #719954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need the World Cup proper on FTA but crushing a bunch of Asian teams doesn't need coverage and not going to help grow the game, if it did have coverage, to an outsider it'd be a bunch of Australians they've never heard of (NBA players they might have heard of, not NBL players) beating up some minnows they've never heard of, not going to turn anyone on to the NBL or basketball in general.

Reply #719955 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The newer bigs to the team, DJ and Jawai, doing well.

Reply #719956 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

McCarron is impressive. Does a bit of everything and is quite versatile.

Bairstow is a must for this going forward. His superb screening opens up so many clean looks for our shooters.

Reply #719961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It frustrates me to see so many of our guards/wings receive the ball in space on the wing and either shi*t themselves and turn it over, not be ready to shoot it or simply pass up the shot and pass. Cam Gliddon has passed up 3-4 open shots... shoot the damn ball!!!

Did Shane Heal (or Chris Goulding) ever pass up those opportunities? It's nice to be unselfish sometimes but it stifles the development of a scorers mentality.

Mitch McCarron is the only one being assertive

Reply #719964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anybody know that Moller played AFL? They should mention it more.

Reply #719965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Iran team is wank.

Reply #719966 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

I really don't like shooting guards who won't shoot. If your team creates a shot for you, you're obliged to shoot.

Reply #719970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did anybody know that Moller played AFL? They should mention it more."
Keep up with the news mate.

Moller won 2 championships this year. NBL Championship and Seabl Championship. Bet you didn't know that.

Reply #719971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good was mollers first bucket and the rejection, the Melbourne three are very good. Moller to good for a bench player at Melbourne, they are very deep.

Reply #719973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the hate of Jason Cadee, the side functioned much better when he came on and played the point, defensively was fine as well.

Reply #719977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was pretty good last night I have to admit.

Reply #719978 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Can't complain about Moller's game at all. Came in and contributed a lot, albeit against a garbage team.

The score was probably kind to Iran. If Australia were actually dropping shots from outside it would have been a 50 point loss for them.

Jawai was pretty handy for some minutes there.

Either way, we're off the the World Cup now and I guess it doesn't matter who you throw into these qualifying rounds now.

Reply #719992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the captain of this squad? Cam Gliddon?

Reply #719999 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

While watching it, I didn't really notice Cadee's influence, but I noticed that Cadee was playing on some more potent lineups that I liked the look of. I recall a lineup of Johnson, Barlow, Sobey, McCarron and Cadee going on a run in the 1st half, and a lineup of Jawai, Barlow, Blanchfield, McCarron and Cadee making a run in the 2nd half. I thought the Boomers looked good with either Johnson or Jawai at the 5, not Hodgson.

Reply #720002 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Also Barlow at the 4. Bringing his United form there.

Reply #720004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to see more young guys get tested, maybe some of those in the g league or Europe.

Reply #720005 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great, Cadee looked good but let's face it Iran rested starters to be fresh for their next game against our best friends over in the Philippines.

Reply #720006 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I know it's very early in their carreers but as these games apparantly don't matter, why not include the likes of Frolling, Naar, Grida, and, if avail, Langdale and others too young to consider for 2019+20, but by the next round, they will be be the core, or at least the bench in future.

Just like the AIS would invite based on potential, here's a chance to apply the same principle, maybe? And no, I don't mean the team, just some inclusions.

Reply #720007 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

I'd like to see Josh Green, Harry Frolling, Jock Landale, William McDowell-White, Deng Adel and Isaac Humphries make the next round. These are guys who actually have legitimate Boomers futures in major tournaments post 2020. You could also argue for Jack White and Dejan Vasilevij. At this point if you mix these young guys with some vets, they still probably won't lose to these Iran or Kazakhstan.

Nathan Sobey
Chris Goulding
Mitch Creek
Nick Kay
Jock Landale

Mitch Norton
William McDowell-White
Deng Adel
Josh Green
Isaac Humphries
Harry Frolling
David Barlow/Brad Newley/Blanchfield/whoever else.

Reply #720008 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Exactly. Since we've qualified now use youth who may make it to the main squad for the remaining games. Cadee for example is just a waste of time.

Reply #720010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MDW is playing div two in Germany, Humphries has shown little and not stayed long anywhere. They will get there chances if good enough but most still to young.

Reply #720028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You won't get any of the g-league or college guys gor the next window. Too long a flight for to little return for the g-league and it will be deep into the college season. If we do a camp in Europe or say somewhere like Jordan/Turkey we might get the Europe guys but ultimately with when the next window is it's unlikely to be anything but NBL guys.

The window in June is more of a chance but remember we want to finish as high as possible in the region to have the best chance to avoid a bad draw in the world cup.

Also you don't "blood" multiple rookies in qualifying or really at anytime. We get barely enough international games as it is. Not nearly enough to risk loosing some because you want to see how the young guys will play.

Reply #720034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Exactly, some common sense.

Reply #720036 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Ok, well that was just fucking pathetic.
Were our guys just not trying? Were we deliberately sandbagging to keep the scores closer?

FIBA needs to sort this shit out. There needs to be some kind of penalty in place for teams like Iran that refuse to even put in the effort. If they don't want to field a competitive team, then they should simply forfeit.

Realistically, if they want to persist with the geographical zones, then FIBA should just suck it up and make Australia a default entry. It's not our fucking fault that nobody else in our region can compete.
Either that, or put us in the (South) Americas.

That said, whilst existing basketball fans would be appalled by that exhibition, I still think that international beat-downs are the way to attract AFL & NRL fans. When the Socceroos are playing, suddenly every man and his dog is a soccer fan. We need to do the same thing with the Boomers

Reply #720068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754