Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 8

Thu 7:00 - Townsville vs Bendigo

Fri 7:00 - Dandenong vs Adelaide (Live Streamed)
Fri 6:30 - Perth vs Canberra

Sat 3:00 - Melbourne vs Townsville (Live on SBS & Foxtel)
Sat 5:00 - Sydney vs Bendigo (Live Streamed)

Sun 3:00 - Adelaide vs Canberra

Basket Case Podcast (with Larissa Anderson)

The WNBL Show (with Bec Goddard)

Topic #44388 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Some good games there:

Townsville vs Bendigo.
Bendigo in the hunt, but games like this should be won by the home team.

Dandenong vs Adelaide.
A real chance for Adelaide to get one, but The Rangers might just short circuit the Lightning

Perth vs Canberra.
Top of the table clash should be a treat for all the home fans. I'm a fan of Kelsey Griffin and I'm thinking Canberra might Nurse home a victory

Melbourne vs Townsville
On first glances Melbourne should get this. Depends on how tired Townsville are after their first game, but I'm thinking they have a good chance of pulling off an upset. Then again Melbourne seem to get these ones.

Sydney vs Bendigo
Bendigo's game to lose, but I think they'll Spirit this game away from Sydney.

Adelaide vs Canberra
The games don't get any easier for the Lightning. Canberra on their way back from Perth pop in for a game, and maybe a visit to the Cube, but Lightning might be out gunned and out played in this game.

Reply #719721 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Tobin v Batgirl rematch tonight...on the play by play livestats page.

Reply #719772 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Oof, that's not a flattering scoreline at all. So much for a close rematch of last week.

Reply #719820 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Sami Whitcomb didn't have a good game last night, 5 points from 2/8, nothing the outside. Team still won so should see her in th knockouts.

Anyone know how close Nicole Romeo was from the Opals? Now playing for Italy and named potw in Europe.

Reply #719950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Romeo never got a look in. She's italys second choice pg atm.

Reply #719957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Romeo is like 30y.o too.

We are looking for young to mid 20y,o pgs to take us through the next 1-2 cycles.
Just need someone to seperate themselves from the pack.

Reply #719958 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Garrick was good but Purcell (5-steals, 4-OB's) should have been the player interviewed in that game.

Reply #720027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice night for the young gun aokuso.

Reply #720029 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She is having a nice season. I could see her getting drafted by a WNBA team next year.

Reply #720032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith, Mangakahia, Magbegor, Aokuso potentiallly over next 2 years.
Not sure any would make the cut though.

Reply #720033 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Keep in mind that plenty of international draft picks occur with teams that don't actually want the player to show up in year 1 - they just want to hold their WNBA rights and hope that another year or two will see them develop into a player who will make the cut. (eg. Steph Talbot)

Reply #720043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace...

Reply #720045 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep. Slightly different circumstances, but yep. Tupaea another.

Congrats to the Flames for breaking the duck! That's gotta be a relief.
Good effort to get the W with no Wilson and still no Bunton either.

Reply #720046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whittle started so well and I had high hopes for her but has now gone missing.

Reply #720048 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

A couple of Bendigo players have really fallen away...Wehrung shooting 28% for the season, ouch.

Reply #720055 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Used to seeing Wehrung peeling off runs of three pointer but none of that at all this year. She can hardly make a shot in close.

Reply #720075 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Blood spill sparks calls for WNBL referees to lift their standard

But stitches couldn't cover the blood-stained jersey that has left Leilani Mitchell questioning whether referees are being held accountable after the foul on the play was called against Griffin.

Reply #720103 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Somehow I don't think Griffin is a player who is not going to "prove her fitness" ahead of today's game.

Reply #720108 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, that was ridiculous. No one misses a game because of a cut, and especially not Kelsey Griffin. It didn't even cause her to miss the start of the next quarter!
This will be an interesting game. First Lightning home game since they made headlines for all the wrong reasons, and hopefully there will actually be some supporters in the building today, and on the other side I think the Caps will be seriously fired up after Friday night's disappointment. My gut says Canberra will win this well, even though my head says that totally ignores all the talent on Adelaide's roster.

Reply #720109 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

refs like to call face fouls to the elbow....
.....and jarry rough as f.....g g.ts....

Reply #720114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry has been out of control the last two seasons

Reply #720115 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kia Nurse from 3 point range:
3-3 early in the Lynx game
0-15 since.

Reply #720116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big game for Seekamp and Alexander.

Reply #720118 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Big win for the Lightning. Right back in the mix after that round.
Yeah, huge games from Seekamp & Alexander and a nice even spread after them as well, including 18 points @ 56% by the bench.
Nurse's streak finishes at 0-17. Crazy stuff.

Reply #720119 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Attendance of precisely 500. What was said regards how many they usually get, did I hear 250?

Reply #720120 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep 250.
The Basket Case gals, who call shenanigans on Adelaide's conveniently round attendance claims, will no doubt enjoy today's number.

Reply #720121 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

A breakout game from Alexander did look to be looming and Coffey finding a way to stay out of foul trouble in the league helped too. Clydesdale out but bench depth not an issue afterall.

Reply #720122 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Actually Adelaide Lightning just tweeted an actual attendance of 514, so maybe it's just the person there who enters the numbers into the boxscore who rounds it off each game.

Reply #720123 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Just to get the Basket Case girls wound up they should have said 513.5 using an elaborate method of counting feet and dividing by 2.

Reply #720126 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

If people are getting in for free and there's no way to count heads via tickets, then yes they do have to guesstimate

Reply #720133 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Oh that posted, nice, was having problems all yesterday.

Well done Adelaide, huge game from Seekamp. Those 4-7 spots are getting quite compressed now.

Reply #720134 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, next weekend's Adelaide @ Townsville game could be a big one in that fight for 4th.
Dandenong won't want to slip any further back, and they host Perth (on Sunday, after Perth play at home on Friday) so they'll be setting themselves for that one.

Meanwhile on TV we get Melbourne vs Sydney, which is not ideal.
And Bendigo have a tough task arresting their fall, hitting the road for Perth and then Canberra.

Reply #720135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide v capitals game was an awesome game. With so many high level women basketballers on the court, how can the crowd be so poor? Quite simple really - no marketing of the game. So many assets to promote yet nothing. If ever there was a game to promote the shit out of it, this was the one. Are the Adelaide "owners" deliberately failing to promote these games to justify losing the team? Has to be. It is an awesome group and yet treated so poorly - as it has been for a while now. I so hope that we see someone provide a long term secure future for this club.

Reply #720150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at John Casey's Twitter feed it's hard to believe there was 500 at yesterday's game:

https://twitter.com/JohnCasey2880/status/1069096298786082818

Reply #720233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754