Anonymous
Years ago

Does Wagstaff need to Retire?

Wagstaff has been a great player for us - but even great players careers come to n end - he looks too tied and slow to play D and ie being outmuscled in the paint - with his great outside shooting he could also backup the 3 but its deserted him - too many guys on the bench not contributing - but I think hes the best candidate to be replaced by a 3rd import

Topic #44503 | Report this topic

Mark  
Years ago

Who would he be replaced with ?
What players are available ?

Reply #724129 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and Hire.

Reply #724130 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

not hire

Reply #724135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #724136 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Stay classy, Cats fans.

Reply #724138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with this thread, Angus?

Reply #724139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im starting to think a new coach is what is needed, maybe Gleeson just out of ideas. Been there too long maybe.

That being said we have a few players who cant score this year:
* Martin
* Hire
* Wagstaff

Puts pressure on the rest of the team allowing defences to ignore these folks when their on the court.

So Wagstaff on current form is the worst offender. Jervis tbh not far behind.

Reply #724141 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

I just need to play a group of guys for longer. I have made the mistake of chopping and changing the court players too often in attempt to preserve bodies for the season. The downside is the players can't get into a rhythm with each other, so I'm going to give extended minutes to the starters and fill in with bench players when they need a rest.

You'll witness this in today's game.

Trev

Reply #724146 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

This could be part of cats army panic thread.
Wagstaff will likely make that call at end of season when his contract is up.

I see the following options
1. Do Nothing. I see this happening as Perth face Illawarra, NZ and Cairns twice in the next four games. Mostly winnable.
2. Hire, Wagstaff or Jervis "retire" so that they get another import scorer to add to bench.
3. Cut White and get the import 3/4 that they actually need.
4. Keep White but relegate him to bench so a local retires and they get gun import small forward. I don't see this happening in regards to $$.

From what I have seen and they had the opportunity with Cooke Jr last year Perth will do nothing and settle for playoff appearance and semifinals exit.

Reply #724148 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

No. He is having a superb season

Reply #724159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has looked completely disinterested for the best part of the past two seasons.

Reply #724160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #724161 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Jesse will come good! He still might make the call to retire at the end of this season but he will contribute come finals and find his shooting range again. Ive been more disappointed with the decline of jervis.

Reply #724166 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Hire has been a standout for me, as a coach which I'm not, why not start the bench player's? Start Jesse, might actually do good? Hire starting did well as did Norton. Leave white and damo even gus on the bench.

For mine, to much rotations. Stick to 8 player's and if a blowout then play the rest. The Gaze, Grace and the list goes on they never sat down just for rotation sakes.

Get paid more know and play less

Reply #724210 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

I'll be honest, I thought Hire should not have be re-signed, in favour of a 3rd import, but he's had some good games. He's always fired up on D, and goes after every board. Should be contractually banned from trying to shoot 3's though.

Jervis has been a disappointment, seems to be struggling to find his rhythm. But I think he can still come good.

Jesse just looks tired.
We ll know how good he has been, and how good he could still be, but he's playing with no fire.

I guess the question should be, who would give you the most cash to splash on a 3rd import? If you assume that all 3 are part of the bench-cap, then surely Wagstaff (on the end of a 3 year deal) would free up the most.

IMHO they need to trade White for an actual Forward, then swap one of their bench guys for an Andre Ingram "shoot the lights out" type to add some firepower off the bench.

Reply #724218 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Reply #724222 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

^^^agreed^^^

Reply #724240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think right now he is the best candidate to go for a 3rd import. It's down to him, Hire and Vague.

Hire i doubted preseason and while he isn't setting the world on fire probably has done enough to hold his spot on the end of the bench. I don't see the Cats sacking Vague in his first proper season. Unfortunately Wagstaff just hasn't contributed much this season and been a liability. Plus he would be on the highest salary. His decent salary given to an import over the last dozen games could land someone pretty handy.

Reply #724358 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

You don't get it. To sack someone cost money to pay out a player, then you need to pay an import. Could be a $500k decision there. Sacking someone doesn't free up cash, it frees up salary cap yes, but not cash the club may not have or are willing to depart with.

Reply #724361 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's the problem. They don't want to spend. #cheapout

Reply #724363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he would obviously get paid out, but his salary under the cap would be much better used on a 3rd import right now.

I didn't mean it would save Perth from paying him, he would be the biggest financial hit to pay out of the 3, but assuming all 5 are in the 5 man cap, the import would need to be too. So using Wagstaffs salary from the cap would be able to get someone better.

Reply #724367 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wagstaff or whoever don't need to be sacked they can just 'pull a Perth' and deactivate the player from the roster ala Jaron Johnson and sign a third import that way.

Reply #724369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah nd how much is it going to cost them in ticket sales when they crash out of the finals early - and how much in lost memberships next year - Cats are probably spending close to $2M on salaries, but sure lets save a few bucks - put is this way they can shove the marching band and prematch shit up their arses and put that money towards a decent player

Reply #724374 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Perth needed to make changes to the list regarding their older Aussies. I don't think it was smart to keep Martin, Hire and Wagstaff on the roster. Martin is a great leader, great D but doesn't score enough, which then puts pressure on others to score and with Wagstaff and Hire aswell it just puts more pressure on Cotton and co. Big transition for Perth to make at the end of this season as it may include Martin too, not sure if he is worth being on the list as his minutes start decreasing if he doesn't have anything to contribute offensively.

Reply #724403 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Martin's not there to score but he made a couple of crucial buckets in the second half when his teammates couldn't buy a bucket. Players like white stiendl and wagstaff should be copping most of the heat for consistently missing open threes

Reply #724422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are all roles players, which is fine. - Martin still playing his role - Hire mostly playing his role - Wagstaff not up to playing his role anymore - but as others have said, get a starting SF that can actually score when the heat is on, and half our problems are solved

Reply #724438 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

No doubt the experience of Martin is beyond any points or steals he may get. But at the end of this season he won't be getting any younger and his ankles will still be hurting, he is finding it harder to stay in front of players. I think Perth will have some tough decisions to make at the end of this season, which would have been easier if they had replaced Hire this season.

Reply #724532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martins not a hard call - when his time is up hell go - Norton is already in place - question is who comes onto the bench? - Hve we managed to develop somebody? - eg Dech?
I question whether Vague is able to replace Wagstaff? - Needs to get a lot more poised and agressive
I also wonder where and how we best use our 2nd and 3rd imports? - If Martin and Wagstaff were to go then we have money for a 6th man

Reply #724542 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

An MIA Wagstaff leaves a huge hole in Perth roster. With the loss of Redhage, Wagstaff needed to have consistency but he has become the opposite with huge periods of below par output

Reply #724569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flogstaff needs to retire and allow Perth to get a third import. Hire at least rebounds and plays physical.

Reply #724570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff and Martins value both dropped massively the moment the NBL decided to stamp out flopping

Reply #724571 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Let's assume Perth management sit on their hands and do nothing.
Will still probably be good enough to make playoffs.

For 2019/20
Big decisions with Martin, Wagstaff, Hire and Jervis all possibly retiring. White is highly unlikely to be back.

Import*, Norton
Cotton*, Steindl
Import*, ?
Kay, ? , Vague
Brandt, ?

With SEM likely to be competitive from today one Perth can't afford to be complacent when recruiting next year. Getting a Next Star might help.

Reply #724580 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

* day one for Phoenix I meant.

Reply #724581 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wagstaff was a good contributor in those years when all he had to do was the little simple stuff.

Now with the Wildcats lack of scoring, he is being required to do more than that and unfortunately for him, his lack of ability (i.e. he is just a 'gel' player) is starting to show.

Reply #724849 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754