Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 13

Fri 4:30 - Adelaide vs Sydney
Fri 7:00 - Canberra vs Bendigo
Fri 7:30 - Melbourne vs Perth (listed as being Live Streamed)
Fri 7:00 - Townsville vs Dandenong

Sun 2:00 - Bendigo vs Perth
Sun 3:00 - Sydney vs Dandenong (live on SBS & Fox Sports)

Basket Case

WNBL Show

Fire, Rangers & Spirit are all still mathematical possibilities to make the playoffs, but that ends for at least some of them tonight.

Topic #44565 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Boomers-Lynx live stream link is included on the WNBL's Round 13 Preview page so maybe it's real this week.

Reply #725746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did the ball sacks schedule a game for 4.30 on a Friday? Dumb!

Reply #725748 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

double header with 36ers at 7.20

Reply #725749 | Report this post

rsharna  
Years ago

Can someone help me find where i can watch the live stream of the Perth V boomers game?

Reply #725756 | Report this post

rsharna  
Years ago

ignore previous post got so excited at the original post didnt read anything else to see it had already been added :(

Reply #725757 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

WNBL have tweeted that Sunday's Bendigo-Perth game will also be live streamed.

(Live streams are always HERE )

Reply #725760 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Bit of a funny round. Melb v Perth the only clash between finals teams. The TV match being one of the dead rubbers too, so hopefully the streams are up.

Reply #725773 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Why isn't Brittany Smart playing for Sydney? Geez, Johnson must be the worst import in the league, and I'm including Turner in that and she's not even at Bendigo anymore.

Reply #725797 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Smart has been battling a back injury (I think it's her back) for some time, thus her drop in output from what she was producing earlier season.

Reply #725799 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Thought of doing this before, but a quick rating of how I would rank the imports this season, separated by tiers (MVP, Very Good, Good, Pass, Average, Bad):

Allen
Taylor
Nurse

McPhee
Coffey
Tobin

Alexander
Smart
Laney

Pedersen
Mallot
McLaren
Boothe

Mincy

Turner
Johnson

I think it's been a good season for the imports overall, which has been shown in the many TOTW inclusions

Reply #725800 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Not much argument from me over those. The players in those top 3 groups have all had quality seasons.

Meanwhile in Adelaide atm ... yikes, that escalated quickly

Reply #725801 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't know what Sydney were thinking with Johnson. She is completely incapable of creating a shot.

I think I would agree with those tiers above. McPhee looked unreal at one stage but has tailed off recently.

Reply #725802 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I could just about slot Tobin in with the top three, although some injury and poor team performance should deny her MVP chances.

Reply #725803 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Kia Nurse lighting up Bendigo, this could get ugly.

Reply #725824 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boomers-Lynx livestream looking good.
Hopefully Perth keep this game more interesting than the other 2!

Reply #725827 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

looks like nurse and griffin will get fifty ....
lightning by fifty...

Reply #725829 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Who's on special comments? There's a lot wrong with Perth, and their start tonight, but them having four players born in the US on the court at the same time is not one of them. Absurd take.

Reply #725830 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That'll be Michelle Gubbels. I think it must have been a random (and often-mentioned this season) observation that mistakenly got twisted into a "reason".

Boomers really are their own worst enemies. They should have been close to 10 up after that quarter with how badly Perth started, but somehow they managed to end up down 1.

Reply #725834 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Perth are stuffed! Conti hasn't hit the rim all year but lands a three.

Reply #725835 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Schwogmeyer, Ezbery & Shayla (Heal) have had quietish starts, but McPhee - whose name has been pronounced flawlessly - has started well. Coincidence?

Reply #725836 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

LOL at Schwogmeyer. This commentator is unbearable. If he yells "Thank you!" for one more bricked three it's going to do my head in.

Reply #725837 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Then Purcell marginally misses throwing it out but instead it goes in off the board.

Reply #725838 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At least Ezi's 3 (why, Ezi??) didn't drop as well.

aaaaand now the stream is dead.

Reply #725839 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Thought that was my shitty connection that froze it this time.

They really need to get their act together next season when it comes to coverage. There should also be something like a 15-30 minute highlight show after every round available online to everyone. That's one basic way they can improve too.

Reply #725842 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Does it normally come back?

Reply #725844 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the router had to transmit "Ezbery" one too many times and pulled out its own plug in despair. I mean it's not like she's an Opal or anything.

Reply #725846 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If this was Sydney I would probably give up on coverage being restored, but I have faith that Melbourne will sort it and we'll see the 2nd half.

Reply #725849 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I've got ads showing now

Reply #725852 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Any word on why Jenna is out for personal reasons?

Reply #725859 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Yes, the half time break. It should be offline again by the start of SH.

Reply #725860 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

It's a bit of a double edged sword that Taylor had such a mare of a half. It's good that they can be leading against Melbourne without her contributing. But also suggest that Boomers may have her number, which doesn't bode well for any finals series.

Reply #725863 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

God how clueless is this guy? Encouraging Maddie Allen to shoot the open 3? Dude her effective range is about 4 inches.

Reply #725868 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I'm also starting to think he thinks the Boomers #23's surname is Maddiegarrick

Reply #725875 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Geez this being so close not good for my nerves!

Reply #725896 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Unimpressive stuff from both teams IMO. Adelaide would love their chances in a semi final matchup with Melbourne.

Reply #725899 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Bah, good that they could keep it close against the top team, but no way should lose a much with that many chances. Boomers won't be that bad in the finals. Perth on current form definitely team number 4.

Agreed, Luuuc. Canberra must love it too.

Reply #725902 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I think we would rather play Canberra than melb we just seem to struggle against them

Reply #725904 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Conti discovers her range is the car-park and they win by that.

Jarry just 1:39 in Townsville as Ranger again use bench much less than opp, so hopefully they can hold.

Reply #725908 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Lynx fans, did they look to tire. Played in Adelaide on a double header last Sunday, while Boomers are very well rested. It did look that way somewhat down the stretch.

Reply #725912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit done for the year. surely Pritchard has to be axed?

Reply #725926 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Team on shoestring budget misses playoffs. Coach must go!

Reply #725960 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Look what a better budget has done for the likes of Goriss and Molloy as coaches of Canberra and Boomers!

Reply #725962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry injured again? No Blicavs either. Good win by Rangers then.

Reply #725963 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah good point.
Mincy & Aokuso have been good contributors but the Fire would be disappointed overall in how the team has done without Suzy. There's still talent there but it has not been consistently present. Madgen, Cocks, Garbin, Malott, Donnelly - all capable players but all too up & down lately.

Reply #725964 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Spot on, he shouldn't have been the coach in the first place, now multiple 30+ point defeats, yet again not making the playoffs and haven't since Bernie was shown the door not to mention we've got backwards ever since.

Reply #725966 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@BendigoSpirit
Unfortunately the live stream today will not being going ahead. Apologies for any inconvenience.

What a surprise!

Reply #726236 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Bendigo have had a few really bad, close defeats which could've easily been wins. If they had won 2-3 of them they'd be right up there. Considering class of their roster compared to others, they've been really good.

Reply #726240 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Lymx made 9 of 19 free throws.

Reply #726337 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Snell on four fouls by mid Q2. I know it's her Brydens fairwell game but they may need to play 'hit the road jack' for her as a last resort to say goodbye.

Reply #726341 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Tupaea six rebounds by HT and none defensive - quite clearly needs to crash those D-boards a little harder.

Reply #726346 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lynx made 9 of 19 free throws.

Equally bad is 3/19 from outside the arc.
Did well to survive that.

Reply #726351 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

What happened to Smart? Flames no chance without her.

Reply #726352 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hamstring strain

Reply #726353 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

and down goes another Flame :(

Reply #726355 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Flames have really had a horrific time with injuries this season.

Reply #726356 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth basically play a round-robin over the final two round to sort out some all important spots. Canberra finish with three away but all to bottom four teams.

Reply #726357 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Adelaide could upset Melbourne imo, they have played better basketball over the last few weeks.

Reply #726360 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

@Luuuc

He was brought in as a scapegoat to get rid of Bernie Harrower, each season in charge the team has gone BACKWARDS and not come close to a grand final appearance, let alone actually making the playoffs.

They had a small budget in the years that BH was in charge.

He's been woeful in regards to getting the most out of his players and nobody from the GF years remains so it seems nobody wants to be around him.

Reply #726434 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

I'm not sure you know what 'scapegoat' means Wayne.

Reply #726440 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know or care about the politics, I just know what I see in front of me, such as the fact that a roster including Kelsey Griffin (Grand Final MVP that season), Gabe Richards (WNBL All Star 5 that season), Kristi Harrower (all time legend), Kelly Wilson, Sara Blicavs, Chelsea Aubrey, etc. was CLEARLY better than what they're working with today, especially in the context of a league not as strong as it is now.
I'm not claiming that Pritchard is the best coach in the league, but IMO he has done an above average job with a very limited roster that is likely the cheapest in the league, and based in a city where you need to pay overs to attract a player compared to the big cities.
But you're welcome to disagree. Hey if someone has an axe to grind then who am I to stand in their way.

Reply #726441 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I certainly haven't rated him as one of the better performed coaches in his time but this season he'd have to rank in the top few for what he's got out of the current squad (markedly the least equipped roster prior to Sydney's woes, IMO). Something obviously went badly awry while Turner was there but otherwise they've been impressive and unfortunate not to catch a couple of breaks with a view to playoffs.

Reply #726505 | Report this post

Bendigo Weekly just tweeted that Pritchard won't be coaching next year.

#BREAKING: @BendigoSpirit have announced they are on the search for a new head coach for 2019/20 @WNBL season, with current head coach Simon Pritchard's contract not being renewed beyond this season. Pritchard will see out the remainder of the season #Bendigo

Reply #726513 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I think that's quite strange, agree with the others above that Bendigo's season has been far better than expected. We all had them for bottom of the league. A few close results to their way they'd be in finals contention.

Possible more to this than results? I'd have thought Anderson or Brassard most under pressure based on this season's results.

Reply #726542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of rumors that another couple of coaches might be stepping aside at season end. After a few years of no coaching changes might be some new faces in next years league.

Who would be the leading candidates? Do clubs go back to old coaches no longer coaching in the league or are there any assistants ready to step up?

Reply #726547 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

@Luuuc

I respect what you're saying, but I don't fully agree with it, especially if you're going to cherry pick one season. What about the 6 out of the 7 years they made the playoffs under BH without those players?

The first championship they won was just a well coached team, that's my issue with Pritchard he couldn't get the best out of his players as Bernie was the complete opposite.

Krisi - Champion player
Kelsey - As above
Kelly W - Experienced 2 (took time under BH/KH to develop not including SEABL)
Chelsea A - Solid role player to fill the 3 spot at the time, nothing more.
Gabe - Experienced Centre, developed her game again under BH

The bench much of the same, a lot of players who knew their role to the team and played their butts off to contribute to the team and it was always the team first.

Reply #726587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney looking for a new coach aswell.

Reply #726589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any word on what's happening with the Lightning money troubles?

Reply #726592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo, Sydney, dandenong new coaches...
Brisbane coach 2020 too hopefully.

Reply #726593 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

new coaches don't necessarily mean more wins!
more talented rosters win more games than getting a new coach!

Reply #726602 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's very true in the case of the boomers and capitals!

Reply #726604 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Chambers stepping aside is certainly a loss. Could Snelly go straight into a coaching role? Ideally she would probably be assistant a couple of years first.

Reply #726606 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Sam Woosnam a chance?

Reply #726609 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Suzy wins next six coach of the year awards?

Reply #726753 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

@AshT

Could be!

I don't know if she'll get into coaching or take some time away from the game before going that route, if she even wants to coach.

Speaking of the MVP, I think Kelsey Griffin has to be the front runner and still another week or two of potential awards to go.

Reply #726754 | Report this post

LF  
Years ago

Any chance Cheryl Chambers might coach the rangers next season? Was my first thought when I heard she was stepping down to move back to Melbourne.

Reply #726775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Wasn't it Chambers who Rangers wanted for this season, but she went and signed with Sydney for two years

Reply #726790 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

It sounds like Chambers is stepping down because of family, so only if those circumstances change would she move or get back into coaching imo.

I could see MVP going to either Griffin or Allen, probably whomever is on the winning GF team.

Reply #726888 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Thinking a bit more about Griffin after listening to Basket Case, and I think it's a real shame she's not having this MVP season at Bendigo. Looking at their side, it's still just so apparent they don't have the depth the other big teams have which despite how well they've played really limits the . It means she could've had a huge impact improving their fortunes, made the finals a bit closer and Canberra have depth out their wazoo, Nurse could easily lead that side whilst they waited for Mitchell/Tolo.

Reply #726897 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

@Waves2Lynx

It's for the regular season, so whomever wins the GF it won't matter.

If I recall it's awarded before the GF.

Reply #726909 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Ah yeah, Wayne. Done by voting after each round iirc. Coaches and Match Officials I think? They've never really explained it anywhere.

Reply #726929 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

after each game coaches vote, for the oppositions and their own team, end of season before finals votes are tallied and the winner is the player with the most votes throughout the season. Coaches can choose to give all their votes to one player or divide them between a few(three I think). Finals have no influence on MVP for season, though dont they have a grandfinal MVP?

Reply #726940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP votes are done by both head coaches and the referees as a group after each game. They can vote for whoever they like on a 3-2-1 basis. So the most votes a player can receive after each game is 9 if the referees and both head coaches give them top votes.

Reply #726971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754