Isaac
Years ago

Kings sign import power forward Ray Turner

They've cut rookie Deng Acuoth to make way.

Topic #44628 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I guess he cuts into Pineau's minutes at the 5 behind Bogut. *shrug*

Looks like an undersized rebounder which is OK for the limited role he should play. Hopefully at the very least he has the length to contest on post ups on D, which is Pineau's biggest issue at the 5.

Reply #728237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty shit for Acouth. Doesn't the club have any values?

Reply #728238 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good on Sydney for utilizing the import spot.
Gives more depth at back up bugs.

Reply #728240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks taipans could take acouth deng

Reply #728243 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney are doing what Perth should be doing.

Reply #728244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't even make seabl first team, will be eaten up, a panic signing like Jackson a few seasons a go. Will be ok at kings the A’s not known for his defence.

Reply #728245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how the NBL is promoting him as coming from the Next-Gen program held during the off season...at 28 years old lol

Reply #728247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #728249 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

He will be better than Accouth so its an upgrade and a smart decision, always always always get the best 11 players you can afford.

He would be cheap so no one should be expecting MVP from him.

22p 11r in SEABL, 9p 6r in NCAA usually translates to something along the line of 8p 5r or better in the NBL if he gets enough minutes.

Aslong as he hustles and helps on the boards he is ok, and again he wont be worse than Accouth so even if he inst great its an upgrade.

Reply #728250 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

4th import. Great, another average import to take the place of Australians getting court time. A great time for Australian basketball.

Reply #728253 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Definitely feel bad for Accouth especially after they filmed the announcement that he'd earnt a full contract before the season began. Didn't really show a lot though in limited minutes. Worth a flyer from someone like the Hawks or Taipans though.

Reply #728254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remarkably, the Anons in this Perth thread called it.

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/44625-perth-import-options/#p728241

Reply #728256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Cram.

If Perth did this, people would be putting asterisks all over the place, and Homicide would be posting a video in ten years time saying that this is the reason he hates them.

Reply #728257 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Turner's fine as a signing.

Will be reasonably-priced and at the least will add starch to Sydney's bench rotation in terms of scoring/rebounding.

Reply #728259 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Turner has put up impressive numbers in lower leagues here he can't be much worse then David Wear and certainly no worse than Deng Acouth who was giving the Kings nothing.

Reply #728268 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

As per crams point, if the Kings win do we have to put an asterisk next to it? By my count they have 6 foreign born players now.

Reply #728274 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Acouth wasn't an Australian anymore than Lisch is. I'd rather 10 imports on the Kings if that's what makes them entertaining and moreso a winning side.

I hope this signing cuts Bowen's minutes as well as shelving Pineau.

Reply #728276 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Why the asterisks ?
Sydney are not breaking any rules are they?
Lisch is naturalized and Bowen is a next star player.

NZ cut a local player late last year to make room for Rakeem Christmas I don't recall any backlash then.

Reply #728277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ever team should have a 7fter acouth deng

Reply #728278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guessing Sydney are scraping the barrel with the salary cap no wonder ware hasnt been replaced

Reply #728280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to with the salary cap. Everything to do with these new Kings owners not wanting to shell out coin. Wear should have been gone weeks ago and a legit 4-5 replacing him. Turner is a 5-10 min guy at most. Pineau just doesn't have the strength or size to be a proper Bogut backup. Turner will take Pineau’s minutes instead. But he doesn’t move the needle much, if at all.

Reply #728282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner wouldn't be taller thean 6ft8", feel for Pineau, never given a chance, sent out there with defensive ico Kickert and rest bench, hard to play well and that position.

Reply #728284 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Have to agree that having five americans is pretty close to legally cheating.

Reply #728285 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Stats are stats, but here are Pineau's up against Turner;

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=203573465&client=1-3363-126354-478980-16890001 (PINEAU)

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=204645947&client=1-3363-36738-478980-4362805 (TURNER)

At least Turner has a chance to score, Pineau's scoring numbers even at that level are very low. Surprised they even brought him back.

Reply #728286 | Report this post

justsaying  
Years ago

A great signing ???????????? he is playing in SEABL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is a player from SEABL going to be huge in NBL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #728287 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Shawn Redhage was playing SEABL before NBL and turned out OK

Reply #728288 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I dont think anyone is saying its a star or huge signing

Its a great signing as its an upgrade on their roster, as he is likely better than Accoth and Pinau, which gives them a nice upgrade on their roster and front court rotation by bringing Turner in for Acouth.

Reply #728290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a guy can be a good fit for a team's needs without being a superstar

Reply #728291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats aren't everything, bring a 28 year old American, even if cheep ain’t go to give you more than Pineau. Hope Turner gets play with all bench guys like Pineau has had to, Pineau plays D as well.

Reply #728293 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Who of Randle, Bowen and Wear is leaving? Or are you allowed 4 imports now?

Reply #728302 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Mark Davis came from local adelaide metro league, 6'6" 95kgs.

Reply #728304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Learn the import rules people ffs

Reply #728305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner is a solid back up for Bogut - cheap and fits the bill.

Don't like how Bowen counts as a local though - no problem with next stars program but non Aussies should count as imports.

Reply #728306 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"At least Turner has a chance to score, Pineau's scoring numbers even at that level are very low. Surprised they even brought him back."

When the Kings finished last season very strong, on the back of their defence improving a heap, Pineau played a really important role in that as a big who could defend the on-ball, it was a no brainer to bring him back.

Reply #728309 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Pineau was basically the Moller of last season - a bright patch down the stretch of what was an otherwise disappointing year. I think he has a place in the NBL and I like his energy, but he shouldn't be playing the 5 spot and really needs to develop a jumper to get more minutes.

Reply #728310 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, and if he is playing the 5 spot it needs to be with a PF who can defend and rebound.

Reply #728313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are over stating Pineau dramatically. You wont see him in the NBL after this season.

Reply #728314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You won't see Turner in the nbl next season.
Hopefully the kings new management try find some local and stick with them. Naar at Illawarra, Jurlina at Cairns as dp, kings dp last season and surely as good as Wilson, but not Melbourne tigers junior so no chance and off course and Moller, premiership player who Gaze said would play for Australia and did.

Reply #728322 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They should be called the foreign legion as Sydney don't really like Australian Born Talent!

Turner is better than Pineau who is lucky to be in the league and is Vic Elite level at best!

Acouth isn't NBL standard so hence was lucky to get a contract at all so back to the state league to work on his game and hopefully he can contribute more in the coming years at NBL level.

Reply #728323 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Whoever that anon poster is that compared this to the Jackson signing from a few years back is spot on... Though this time, with the Kings right up the top of the ladder, how does cutting one bloke & replacing him with another affect the vibe & chemistry with the group. My guess is this will end poorly.

Maybe if the sub rotations were a little smarter they wouldn't need a '7th' (jokes) import.

I wish more teams backed and developed their local young talent like Bevo & Joey.

Reply #728324 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Wow.. hats off to the Kings for leaving no stone unturned on their quest for a title. Turner will be fine in the nbl for the role they have him pegged to play. I saw him play sbl a few years ago and whilst it is a fair difference in the level of play his size, skill and talent should translate to the higher level. He killed in sbl but was like a man amongst boys

Reply #728341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't ever put Jurlina who's a middle of the pack state league player in the same sentence as Emmett Naar ever again. Thank you

Reply #728342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that Pineau will develop into a solid nbl player. He will improve, especially if he can find his way to a good coach.

Reply #728346 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I would love it if Cairns snapped him up

Reply #728348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jurlina is certainly better at the defensive end of the floor than Naar. I think the point being made is that there all Sydney boys playing elsewhere while the kings are full of Melbourne juniors, imports and now a 28 year old journey man. It looks like desperation .

Reply #728349 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wow.. hats off to the Kings for leaving no stone unturned on their quest for a title.

The head coach position is a pretty huge stone, I would have thought ;)

Reply #728358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner was a very dominant seabl player and those saying he wont be any good clearly have never seen him play.

Reply #728364 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Don't like how Bowen counts as a local though - no problem with next stars program but non Aussies should count as imports."

Failing to grasp the whole concept of the Next Stars program.

Then again, the NBL's own implementation of Next Stars hasn’t demonstrated understanding of the program either.

Sounds like he will fill a role adequately, in resting Bogut. Hopefully for Sydney he just brings all his energy for 10 min and they don’t have the massive drop in D when Bogut rests.

Reply #728365 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Who of Randle, Bowen and Wear is leaving? Or are you allowed 4 imports now?"

Hendo - teams are now allowed five imports. They can have 3 "normal" imports plus one Asian player rule import (subject to NBL approval, which is based on size of potential TV market) and one Next Stars player. Bowen is a Next Stars player and Kings have no Asian player rule import at the moment, so Turner becomes their third "normal" import.

However, signing Turner means the Kings can only count one local player as a marquee player for luxury tax calculation purposes (tries but fails to stifle laughter).

The league really should be renamed the Multinational Basketball League.

Reply #728369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson was the mvp at seabl level, we can see how he's going. Let’s hope Bogut stays healthy, the quality 4-5 in this comp will eat Turner. I’m looking forward to him defending DJ from the three point line, and Froling eyes will light up every time Turner is on the floor.

Reply #728378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are so many people commenting about this guy that have clearly never seen him play or the work he puts in.

"He doesn't move the needle"

I guarantee you that before the season is over, he will be cutting into David Wear's minutes and playing a significant role for a contending team.

Reply #728392 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Turner was a very dominant seabl player and those saying he wont be any good clearly have never seen him play."

Hire was double doubling in the WA SBL with big numbers...so...

Reply #728398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have seen him play, and he won't move the needle.
Can’t shoot outside the key
Can’t make moves going left
All post moves over his left shoulder
Not quick laterally
Typical undersized state league player who is now much in strength and won’t be able to outmuscle the bigs in this league like he has in the lower level.

Reply #728400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ lol. The guy is a 6'8 freight train. He will out muscle everyone, even at an NBL level. Not saying that will lead to him playing a big role, but that certainly won't be an issue for him.

Reply #728402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hire was double doubling in the WA SBL with big numbers...so..."

Just shows you how bad that comp is.

Reply #728403 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Just shows you how bad that comp is."

And you're saying any other state league is any better? Doubt it.

Reply #728404 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

A shame for Acouth. Didn't really get a fair shake imo.

Reply #728411 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney have not broken any rules.

Reply #728416 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And you're saying any other state league is any better? Doubt it

Umm.. most of them actually but not all

Reply #728418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner was 1st in fouls and 3rd in turnovers in seabl.

Reply #728422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WASBL is well below QBL and last years SEABL

Reply #728425 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Turner played two seasons in QBL with Rockhampton, one of which they won the championship.

Reply #728427 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"WASBL is well below QBL and last years SEABL"

Fair enough.

Reply #728430 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I guarantee you that before the season is over, he will be cutting into David Wear's minutes and playing a significant role for a contending team.“

I hope you're underselling him there.

Reply #728453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Ray Turner wasn't an import would he already be playing in the nbl

Reply #728454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner was 1st in fouls and 3rd in turnovers in seabl....

Oh did you know that, "Turner has spent the last two weeks practising with the Kings, with the club lauding him as 'a good-fit on and off the court'.
The power forward averaged 22.6 points and 11 rebounds per game and was rewarded with selection in the ALL SEABL First Team."
Great player. Congrats and also having another season with the Braves this year.

Reply #728457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Ray Turner wasn't an import would he already be playing in the nbl

Genius.. might be the case for a lot of imports in state league

Reply #728458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just think how good he be if he didn't foul and turn it over so much, seabl first Wilson was the mvp, what’s he averaging a game, not much. Trist and Moller star at seabl.

Reply #728463 | Report this post

Poopoo  
Years ago

Pineau is poopoo - can't shot, can't defend apart from making some chicken wing arm movements, foul, then sweeping his hair to one side. No other NBL team will have him.

Reply #728516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see why you never post poopoo.
Your 2 posts are meaningless.

Reply #728520 | Report this post

Poopoo  
Years ago

Anon, is that you Poopoo Pineau? 2 posts ?... Double poopoo.

Reply #728558 | Report this post

Poopoo  
Years ago

"Pineau was basically the Moller of last season".

Hahahahaha. Pineau is poopoo, and is only there because of Gaze's connection.

Moller can jump, shoot and defend.

Once again Melbourne has pinched the right player and the right coach.

Reply #728559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair to Gaze and the coaching staff they tried very hard to keep Moller, the great recruiting genius off JVG didn't think he was the right fit. Moller would certainly be good in the four spot now playing next to Bogut.

Reply #728581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair to Gaze and the coaching staff they tried very hard to keep Moller, the great recruiting genius off JVG didn't think he was the right fit. Moller would certainly be good in the four spot now playing next to Bogut.

Reply #728582 | Report this post

Poopoo  
Years ago

Agreed Moller is an excellent player. I guess it's a case of Jeff Wrong Again!!

Reply #728596 | Report this post

TW  
Years ago

Jurlina is absolutely not an equal player to Wilson. What a sickening and uneducated assessment. Moller is also average but superior to Pineau.

Reply #728612 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #728614 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I don't see why people rave about Moller although it would be interesting to see how he would go at a Cairns or Illawarra.

Reply #728615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TW: uneducated yes. Sickening?

Reply #728619 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Moller is a rotation guy who can cover a few different positions reasonably well. Still not a great individual defender or a reliable shooter, but I think a very useful 7th or 8th man. Not sure how accurate my "source" is, but apparently the Kings made what they thought was a reasonable offer of 2 years for about 80k, and Melb threw and extra year and an extra 20-30K on top to secure him.

Upset that we lost him, but it feels like Melbourne overpaid based on his usage, too.

Reply #728624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played very well in his time at Melbourne, Hobart and Australia last year, not so good at Melbourne this year , tough at Melbourne though when they bring in Kennedy and McCarron and Barlow on fire.

TW, that's your opinion I’d take Jurlina in my team ahead of Wilson, I like players who play both ends of the court.

As far as uneducated I back my opinion on yours every time, but that’s what they are opinions. So unless you’re a player agent or GM of a basketball club your opinion is no better than anyone else’s.

PS, Moller would look fantastic at kings this season, the player there missing, but that’s my opinion.

Reply #728625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mate who knows a few agents told me that the kings offered him a one year deal on minimum, with you are Sydney boy you should stay for loyalty, Cairns offer a very good contract as well but my source told me he want to follow Vickerman. I'm interested to see what will happen at season end re the option, does he hang around or look for more playing time. ( ? Option club, player or two way). From what I saw at seabl level he has the ability to be very good.

Reply #728646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he will join the Southern Huskies. A Lot of money in the NZBL for a 3 month season and then become a Southern Huskies NBL player the season after.

Reply #728677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha set record for fastest foul out on debut. Yeah he's a real beast.
Shane Heal mentioning his boy Nik Lackovic again, anyone from WA knows this guy is a clown.

Reply #729346 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I missed that mention but it makes sense that Heal and Lackovic are boys. Like two peas in a pod those two.

Reply #729348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's exactly what his seabl stats said would happen, kings never learn, Garret Jackson all over again, Pineau is no better or worse than this bloke so should have continued to get more time.

Reply #729350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most SEABL players are bar staff or car salesmen or DJs playing basketball on the side. It should not be taken seriously.

Reply #729352 | Report this post

Harp  
Years ago

You sure Lackovic isn't paying Heal for the plug? Wouldn’t surprise me

Reply #729377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Pike said this signing makes the Kings championship favorites

Reply #729417 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Who is Chris Pike?

Reply #729422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turner got found out straight away because the difference between SEABL and NBL is a lot bigger than it used to be. There's a reason he’s never played NBL. He’s a cheap option because the Kings new owners won’t spend any more money than they absolutely have to. Wear is exactly the same situation. Both aren’t NBL standard imports. Anything you get out of either of them is a bonus at this point.

Reply #729443 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Sydney Kings: :
"The Sydney Kings are excited to announce the signing of import power forward Ray Turner for the remainder of the 2018-19 NBL season."

Turner plays 1 game, main contribution being to foul out quickly with a Bogut already out.

Well, that de-escalated quickly.

Reply #729448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754