Anonymous
Years ago

Can Perth replace Norton with an Import?

On a quick reading of the rules, this is not clear to me.

Rule 3.1 states "An NBL Club shall not register a new Player if it has played equal to or more than 75% of its Regular Season games."

That would clearly prevent them replacing a player under normal circumstances.

(However it is also worth noting that a club can "request to register a Player outside of this deadline in exceptional circumstances.")

Rule 9.3 states "Subject to the requirements of Rules 9.1 and 9.2, an
NBL Club may supplement its Team Roster with a replacement Player in order to replace a Player that has been placed on injury waiver under Rule 13 for the duration of that waiver."

According to the commentary today, the news on Norton is that it is expected to be long term.

Whilst Dech has been used before it is my understanding that he is not contracted, and has been used as an Injury replacement each time. Does this mean that the 75% deadline does not apply to injury replacements?
Or was Dech in fact previously "registered"??

Rule 13.4.1 says "The NBL Club may contract (subject to meeting all
other eligibility requirements under these NBL Salary and Contracting Rules) another Player in addition to the eleven(11)Players on the Team Roster until the waivered Player returns to active service on the Team Roster"

It doesn't specifically address whether you can change the injury replacement. Simply says that whilst a player is on injury waiver, you're allowed to have "another player."

Topic #44701 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton 22mins,can players ask to be cut, like a
Tom Wilson
Adam Doyle
Peter Hooley

Who can take most of those 22 minutes

Reply #731154 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Beautiful.

Let the conspiracy theories begin.

Meantime Perth management won't make any changes. Dech will play as Prior this season.

Reply #731156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not familiar with the rules either but can Perth sign someone such as Stephen Holt who already played more than 7 games for Brisbane or is it just 7 games with a particular club?

Reply #731157 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I do appreciate the irony of so many of us suggesting role playing/ reduced minutes for Martin this season.

Will he be able to handle the increased workload heading into finals without Norton?

Reply #731159 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"can players ask to be cut"

I think what the OP is asking is whether Injury Replacements bypass the 75% deadline?

A player who resigns would not be eligible for an injury waiver (unless injured doh)
I believe the league has the right to insist on independent medical assessment

Reply #731164 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Meantime Perth management won't make any changes. Dech will play as Prior this season."

I suspect you're right, but it would be interesting to know whether they have the option.

Reply #731165 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Norton 22mins"

"Will he be able to handle the increased workload heading into finals without Norton?"

Martin won his last two rings with Kenny as backup. So the short answer is no.

They'll have to give Dech real minutes, play Cotton at the one, with Stiendl and White spending time at the 2.

Reply #731167 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It probably means Cotton will stay at 35 mins per game.
Steindl has been fantastic recently and can split 2/3 with White when Cotton relieves Martin at 1. Dech will only see spot minutes but is familiar with the team and plays.

Reply #731170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should make White the backup PG, and start Steindl at SF. With Martin most years were accustomed to a PG who cant score

Reply #731175 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Rule 3.1 states "An NBL Club shall not register a new Player if it has played equal to or more than 75% of its Regular Season games."

That would clearly prevent them replacing a player under normal circumstances.
</thread>

Whilst Dech has been used before it is my understanding that he is not contracted, and has been used as an Injury replacement each time. Does this mean that the 75% deadline does not apply to injury replacements?
Or was Dech in fact previously "registered"??
Do you suggest he played six games without being registered?

The answer is no. I'm not sure why this thread exists.

Reply #731179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So there's a chance you can add someone but only as an injury replacement? Interesting

Reply #731182 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If anyone knows it all it's Kober.

Reply #731191 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So there's a chance you can add someone but only as an injury replacement?
No.

Well, technically yes, but the NBL would have to approve it, which wouldn't happen unless you had four or five players go down.

So for all intents and purposes, no. 13.4.1 is "subject to meeting all other eligibility requirements", which includes 3.1.

Although I suspect these rules are outdated anyway, and are the BA-era version that gets brought up every now and then. I'm not aware of the current rules ever having been made public.

If anyone knows it all it's Kober.
When did knowing stuff become a bad thing?

Reply #731193 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

You guys can have Antonio Davis Jnr if you like. Quality pedigree, guaranteed stud.

Reply #731194 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Lol Kober

Reply #731201 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"I'm not aware of the current rules ever having been made public."

So you don't actually know the answer...

(Thoughts on Perth winning all these games after you informed us that they weren't making the finals by the way?)

Reply #731206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perth needs to speak to Andy Simmons

Reply #731207 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nah, they need to speak to Wayne Simmons. Hot diggity dog!

Reply #731208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nah, they need to speak to Wayne Simmons. Hot diggity dog!"

Haha, tell me more?

Reply #731209 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Old school Wildcats fans would remember his ad

Anyone know if he is still coaching?

Reply #731210 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Ha ha I still see him at some of the SBL games

Reply #731211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobedick, only opens his mouth to prove how little he knows.

"Although I suspect these rules are outdated anyway, and are the BA-era version that gets brought up every now and then" - Wrong!

"I'm not aware of the current rules ever having been made public." - Wrong Again!

"So for all intents and purposes, no. 13.4.1 is "subject to meeting all other eligibility requirements", which includes 3.1." - Completely Wrong Again.
3.1 has nothing to do with eligibility. It refers to when a player can be registered, not whether a player is eligible.

"Do you suggest he played six games without being registered?" - So you're claiming that anybody who was previously used as an injury replacement can be added back to the team at any time?
Care to point out where in the rules it says that?

"I'm not sure why this thread exists" - Well the rest of us aren't sure why you exist, so I'd say that more than balances it out.

"So there's a chance you can add someone but only as an injury replacement? Interesting" - That's the big question. - The rules are not clear on whether an Injury Waiver supersedes the registration deadline. Dech suggests that it does.

Reply #731212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have assumed they can sign an injury replacement for the rest of the regular season, however he wouldn't be eligible for playoffs.

Reply #731213 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Although I suspect these rules are outdated anyway, and are the BA-era version that gets brought up every now and then" - Wrong!

"I'm not aware of the current rules ever having been made public." - Wrong Again!
Feel free to provide a link then.

Reply #731214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Old school Wildcats fans would remember his ad"

Haha, did he play for the wildcats? Looks like one of the great characters

Reply #731217 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The Wildcats have looked great since Norton got injured. Could he have been a big part of the problems they were having earlier?

Reply #731218 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I'd appreciate a link to the current rules as well, if anyone can provide it? Like koberulz, I can only find the old BA era rules for NBL online. Having searched multiple times,the latest i’ve found are the 2011-12 rules.

Reply #731220 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Nah I dont think so UDig, the Cats improvement has come at the defensive end which Norton was solid at. What Norton going down has done is force Gleeson into playing Steindle more rather than dragging him if he misses a shot.
Norton going down has left the Cats thin in the backcourt we'll be ok as long as we dont lose another guard.

Reply #731229 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

UDog*

Reply #731231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should speak to Jermaine Beal, ask him how he's been

Reply #731234 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cats have confirmed that it's a calf tear for Norton, and that he'll miss the remainder of the regular season.

Reply #731240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems Damo went just a little too far in mentoring Norton

Reply #731241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/mitch-norton-injury-update

Roy Ward just said

my understanding is Perth can ask for special permission to sign a replacement as they only have 4 games left but have lost a key player. Interesting few days ahead, who can they find so late?

Reply #731242 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Who could they replace him with .?

Reply #731249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Bruce

Reply #731250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any SBL types like a Ray Turner available?

Reply #731254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys who play the 4/5 spot and are not really up to NBL standard? Yes there are plenty around.

Reply #731260 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If they could sign someone available in a hurry Stephen Holt would be ideal.
Won't happen though.

Reply #731264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having no game isn't exceptional circumstances.

Reply #731269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt had a job lined up in Europe when he left the bullets

Reply #731270 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that they can, and assuming they're prepared to splash the cash, its an interesting debate as to which direction they go.

PG is obviously like for like, but won't give Maximum impact as they have Martin, and Cotton can also cover.
Maybe another combo? Somebody that can back up both Martin & Cotton?

SG? I would say that between Cotton, Stiendl, and White they are covered at the 2.

SF, don't really want a White clone, and whilst I'd like to see an upgrade on White, its hard to integrate a new player this late. Maybe a 3/4 type, or a genuine stretch 4? Would give them some flexibility.

Or, what's Showtime up to? Jervis seems out of sorts and out of favour...

All that being said, if this does come down to approval by JL, I wonder if such approval would depend on the player they want?

Reply #731303 | Report this post

M Aylen Fan  
Years ago

A Dunigan type could be handy

Reply #731309 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Wildcats can forget it.

Melbourne United aren't going to give the Wildcats special dispensation to get a replacement import.

Reply #731414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is finding someone good and integrating them quickly. If Norton is a chance to come back for the playoffs, you'd think they'll just ride it out.

Reply #731436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The issue is finding someone good and integrating them quickly." - No, its either/or. You either find somebody good enough to come in and play - Or you find somebody you can integrate. - Theyre not going to find that so do they have the money for somebody top shelf and are any such players available - Probably a no to both.

"If Norton is a chance to come back for the playoffs" - Hes not - Hes out for several weeks at least and calf injuries are a bitch to come back from for ballers

Reply #731439 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What's Damon Hueir/Izzy Tueta doing? haha

Reply #731457 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Radio in Perth this morning was saying Cats are tossing up the idea of a 3rd import to replace Norton. Not sure what all the rules are etc, but must be some sort of loophole to bring in a player after the cut off date.

Reply #731469 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Only 5 games left? Wouldn't any replacement not qualify

Reply #731470 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Presumably anyone we get would not be eligible for playoffs, but that doesn't mean it's not still worth doing.
It's bad enough that realistically we will be without Norton for at least some of the playoffs, so the last thing we need is to put too much workload onto Damo and break him as well. Need him as fresh as possible so I think getting a fill-in is definitely worth doing. (Plus we're apparently already driving Cotton at 200 km/h, so pushing the foot down further on him wouldn't be ideal either)

Reply #731472 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-entitled-to-ask-for-nbl-import-after-mitch-norton-injury-ng-b881087263z

This suggests there is a rule allowing them to apply for the 7 games to be waived if replacing a significant injury.

Reply #731474 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A third import isn't always what it's cracked up to be see Ray Turner and AJ Davis.

Can they get someone to play last 4 games but not be playoff eligible?

Given the next game is only 3 days away you would think someone is lined up if approved from NBL.

Reply #731478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can replace a said person if they are out for the rest of the season. They will be granted an exemption

Reply #731482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Kobe,
This is the section On Eligibility:

1. Player Eligibility
1.1. No Player is eligible to play with an NBL Club during an NBL Season until
registered in accordance with these rules to play with that NBL Club.
1.2. Player registration must be completed in respect of each Player annually, even if
the Player is playing consecutive seasons with the same NBL Club.
1.3. A Player may only be registered with one NBL Club at any time and cannot be
registered with that NBL Club until obtaining a clearance from the last club (in
Australia or overseas) that they were registered with.
1.4. Players may be registered as either a:
1.4.1. Restricted Player on the Team Roster;
1.4.2. Non Restricted Player on the Team
Roster;
1.4.3. Marquee Player on the Team Roster;
1.4.4. Asian Player on the Team Roster; or
1.4.5. Development Player.
each as defined under Section 2 - Player Designations.

I have a copy of the rules. What is the best way for me to post them?

Reply #731506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devondrick Walker would be a great fit right now.

Guard. Team first mentality. Already has exposure to the team/culture. Best friends with Bryce. Knock down shooter.

Reply #731510 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Pretty sure some European team just signed Devondrick Walker a few weeks ago?

Reply #731512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah just googled him - looks like he's been snapped up until May

Reply #731552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Trev just confirmed (on tonight's news) that the Cats won't be going after an extra player. Will just continue with Dech, have Cotton to play some 1, and Hire & Steindl play some 2.

Reply #731567 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Awesome...

Reply #731571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Luuuc "Presumably anyone we get would not be eligible for playoffs, but that doesn't mean it's not still worth doing. "

@Anon "I'm not familiar with the rules either but can Perth sign someone such as Stephen Holt who already played more than 7 games for Brisbane or is it just 7 games with a particular club?"

Its Interesting - Under the old rules from 2012 - rule 66.1 says "No player may play in the NBL Finals without having been on the Active Player List for at least or more than 25% of regular season games for his then registered NBL Club in that season. "
First of all - I have a copy of the current Salary & Contracting rules. - They do not specifically cover finals eligibility. So I wonder if it was removed as being redundant, relying simply on the deadline?
Although the wording of the previous rule is also ambiguous - What does "then registered" mean? Would Holt qualify because he played 25% for Brisbane?

Reply #731573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL scheduling clearly hitting the Cats bottom line...

There's actually a triple header this weekend.

On Friday. As you do.

Reply #731581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they could sign an import, but he was still subject to the finals eligibility clause, it would be kind of pointless. They should make the playoffs regardless, and even though finish 1 or 2 would b better, even a gun player isn't going to make a big impact in 3 or 4 games.

Reply #731740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754