PeterJohn
Years ago

Article on Australian sports coverage - some NBL references

Stumbled on this article this morning - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-10/too-much-sport-ratings-attendance-cricket-football-basketball/10792710?section=sport

Not sure if anyone has discussed it in a separate post so thought it worth posting in a new topic.

Some interesting stats about BBL, A-League, one-day cricket popularity trends (especially TV coverage), with the last few paragraphs basically putting NBL's perspective from Jeremy Loeliger. He sounds pretty comfortable with how NBL is travelling.

Topic #44804 | Report this topic

Haz  
Years ago

Yep i noticed that article and glad it got brought up for discussion here. 30500 viewers per game on Go and 12000 or so on Fox. Not great numbers but at least the FTA numbers are moving upwards.

Interesting to note that the BBL and A-league are heading downwards in both attendance and TV viewers. While the NBL is improving (albiet off a small base)

NBLs season crowd avg is 6300 which is impressive given that 3 of the 8 teams play in venues that have a smaller capacity. Obviously that figure is boosted significantly by Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.

In comparison, the A-leagues crowd avg is just over 10,000. We're coming for you a-league!

While A-leagues TV numbers are still much better than the NBL they are on a major decline. Their goals of being bigger than the NRL and competing with the AFL are a bit of a dream. They should be happy just to stay ahead of the NBL the way they're going.

Nice article though, good to see some actual fugures on TV and crowds for various summer sports.

Reply #733720 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Mr Loeliger said the situation is sustainable for basketball.

"What we've been able to do is build a sustainable business model that isn't dependent on media rights fees." "

So, relying on rich owners to prop up several teams with an endless supply of money is seen as sustainable now?

Reply #733731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The average FTA numbers aren't growing, unfortunately. They've been somewhere around 30,000 since the return to FTA in 2010/11. Because there's more NBL on TV than ever the total audiences are well up over anything the league's seen earlier, so that's something in terms of attracting sponsors etc.

Reply #733736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the viewers watching on the net, every one I know watches through theft.

Reply #733745 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

3pm games and 12pm in wa doesn't help, would be good to have it on prime time at least.

Reply #733746 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

NBL overtime gets viewers of 25,000 or so every week.

Reply #733747 | Report this post

Old Baller  
Years ago

'What about the viewers watching on the net, every one I know watches through theft.'

What is Theft?

Reply #733748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ net

Reply #733751 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The NBL on Free to Air is a bit of a joke really. The timeslots are just appalling. I get thats the only FTA times they could get or whatever, but they really need prime time slots.

It would be really good to see the NBA and NBL together on a super Saturday or Sunday style format or something. Potentially having back to back live NBA games 11-4, then back to back NBL games 5-9 with a weekly NBA/NBL talk show in between or something. I know that is a pipe dream however.

Reply #733756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, FTA channels are just lining up to devote an entire day to basketball!

Reply #733757 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Prime time hasn't helped the NBL in the past, not in many houses does basketball get priority at that time. The best rating spot for the NBL has been 9.30pm Friday games in Perth.

I wonder whether they should try for a weekly 9pm slot, with either Perth games after a 30-min intro or QLD games at 8.05pm local time?

Reply #733778 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

They might, if opposition players get married to each other in the week leading up to a game i.e. this week might have Jack McVeigh marry Rhys Vague and Casper Ware marry Bryce Cotton........

Reply #733779 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hahaha! You might be onto something there. Top scorer each game gets to marry some random perhaps?

Reply #733780 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754