Jack Toft
Years ago

GF Series - Perth v Melbourne Game 1

There's only 3 to 5 games of NBL left this season. It would be difficult to find an NBL fan to acknowledge these are the best two teams here. Even Homicide Williams would agree.... now. I guess he had to take his frustrations out on someone, eh Jase.

Perth finished top and go into the series with the number 1 ranking. Melbourne finished #2, which is typical for most Victorians trying to keep up with Sydney siders. After knocking off Sin City, they head across the Nullarbor to face the Cats, who have sharpened their claws.

Perth are looking for Championship number 9. They need to stop soon or else Perth fans will be taking off their shoes to count them all. Rumours a plenty that Sydney are chasing Trevor G, but he might have found his G spot in Perth. In 6 seasons, they have 3 flags, been in SF twice and now we have to wait for season 6 for the final tally.

Greg Hire is hanging up his boots at season end. He may have found his stitch in time with this team and go out on a high.

BUT....the boys in navy blue have different plans. They are the reigning champs and while Perth may hav finished top, The Dean of coaches has different plans, looking to go back to back and put a tiger in the tank.

United's roster is a well balanced roster of talls, quicks and 3 points shooter, with 3 imports as well....Minor round results mean nothing in finals. This is where the big boys show why they get paid the big bikkies.

I'm particularly excited with the obvious battle between Ware and Cotton, but it is Boone and Kay who I think will be the guys feeding their guard brigade and create the options for them to shine.

Should be a sell out crowd for such a great game. This game should be tighter than a rashie on a fat kid and go down to the final play. Time and time again we have seen Cotton squeeze off an impossible shot to get the win. I'm looking forward to him doing it again and closing the tiger cage.

Topic #44919 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

This is the epic matchup to end all epic matchups.

It's the great Australian success story, the greatest NBL franchise, playing the team from the greatest basketball city (and the greatest sporting city) in the country.

Gaze, Andersen, Bogut, Heal, Cambage, Taylor....so many of the great Australians grew up in Melbourne, many playing junior basketball here.

In the NBL’s 40 years, most years there’s been a team from Melbourne amongst the championship contenders. Often more than one.

After years in the wilderness, Melbourne United is flying the flag for this great city and looking for back to back titles.

These teams played 4 times this season. 3 of the games went down to the last 10 seconds, including 2 that went to overtime.

We’ve got the coaches of the past 5 championships battling it out- Gleeson’s won 3 in his 5 seasons in Perth, Vickerman’s Breakers defeated the Cats in 2015 before Vickerman led United to glory last year.

You couldn’t have scripted this better.

Every year people talk about how the NBL is getting better. We’ve had guys like Ennis, Ferguson, Craig, McRae make the move from NBL to NBA recently. Elite imports like Cotton and Ware sticking around and making the NBL their home. Stars like Goulding, Lisch, Andersen, Bogut, Jawai, Newley returning home from overseas. Only 8 teams which means a greater concentration of talent in a small number of teams.

And these are the two teams that have reigned during the NBL’s ascension. Playing off in a best of 5.

So here’s a question- Will the winner of this series be able to rightfully call themselves the best NBL team ever?

Reply #736640 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Only if its Perth. And even then it doesn't matter if they win or not.

Reply #736645 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Some great matchups, United are the faves for me, but it depends which Cats bench turns up. If Stiendl gets hot and Wagstaff finds some form then I think it'll be hard for United to match that.

Cotton = Ware
Terrico = Kennedy
Kay > Barlow
Boone/Pledger > Brandt/Jervis
Martin vs Goulding
Steindl/Wagstaff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Moller/Hooley
McCarron = X-factor
Norton ?

Reply #736647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So here's a question- Will the winner of this series be able to rightfully call themselves the best NBL team ever? "

How is a team that has won 8 titles not already better than another that is possibly about to win their second?

Reply #736652 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Team.

Not franchise or club.

Reply #736655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you're selling Moller and Hooley well short, they play excellent defence and stick to team structures very well. Steindl is very hot cold and defensively not great. Wagstaff is very solid but it hasn’t been his best season. Kennedy also better than White. Hire is also very capable.

Reply #736657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call them what you want but staking a claim for all past Melbourne titles and assigning them to United is the most disingenuous attempt to pretend Perth aren't the beat team/franchise/club of all time.

"Vickerman's Breakers defeated the Cats in 2015 "

No.

Reply #736658 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry- Cairns not Perth were runners up in 15

I said Melbourne is a great city.

United represents the city of Melbourne.

Perth are the greatest franchise of all time. If you read my post before responding, you would've seen that I stated that clearly.

Reply #736659 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Talent wise I agree Kennedy is better than White, but on these teams I think they cancel each other out.

Moller and Hooley have improved and do get a lot of minutes, but who else would they play if not? I've never seen an NBL calibre player put up such terrible shots as Hooley, there's bad shots, there's bricks, then there's whatever Hooley puts up...would rather Steindl and Wagstaff's streaki-ness over Moller and Hooley every day of the week. And I did leave Hire out only because I couldn't think of a 3rd bench option to add to that duo, i guess if you add Goulding or McCarron then united's bench is prob slightly better, but less depth with Norton and Jervis added.

Reply #736663 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Hard to really believe that either melb or cats current teams are even close to the claim of all Time greatest team tbh.

There have been some seriously good teams over the years.

I'd be thinking this current cats team MIGHT make the top 10 (cats teams only) on the back of cotton, but even then I doubt it

Not going to speak on behalf of melb teams, that's a bit more complicated.

LV do you honestly believe this melb team is close to a GOAT lineup? Because I dont

Reply #736671 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Who was the 5th guy on the Tigers when they were Gaze, Copeland, Simmons and Bradtke? Brett Rainbow enough to tip this team over? :P

Reply #736673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Perth sweeps the series with 20 point thrashings there is no way that team could be called the best ever. They don't even have 3 imports ffs. If United win; which they will; then it could be a good debate.

Reply #736675 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I do think the Bullets of 07 are still the Goats, and in a fantasy time machine matchup would beat either of these teams

But I do think the depth of talent in the NBL is great these days

Goulding's a 6th man! Steindl's a 9th/10th man.....

Reply #736680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire gets on the court. Check mate.

Reply #736681 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Banners not flags.

Reply #736691 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

I don't care, I'm just looking forward to the top two teams duking it out.

Don't have a preference, I have friends on both teams, so just looking forward to (in a perfect world) the whole damn thing coming down to the final shot in Game 5...

Reply #736704 | Report this post

wildcats fan  
Years ago

hopefully that final shot is a layup attempt for casper

Reply #736706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately we have to separate our desire for a cracking tussle, against the reality of the inevitable result.
As I have been saying all season, Melbourne going B2B was written in stone a long time ago. Its simply a question of how brazenly the refs have to cheat. Ironically they may not have to do much, as the cap-cheating Melbourne already have the best team on paper.

Perth should win game 1. In a perfect world Larry wants a 5 game series, so I think he'll let Perth have this one.
Game two is where it will get interesting.

Reply #736711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Melbourne will be at home for game 2 and they also have the best team on paper like you say so just imagine if they somehow win that game. That will all the proof I need that the result was planned by the league from the start. It's all just a big conspiracy to rig the league so that the best team somehow wins a home game.

Reply #736715 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Some crazy statements here. Both teams are very good. United probably takes the paper battle, but perth has the pedigree and experience. Hopefully a cracking series where the refs let them play. Both teams have shown no fear on their opponents home court. Should be a great series!

Reply #736773 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Some nice Xs & Os - with illustrations - here in this article:

Melbourne United's Playbook: How Can Perth Defend It?

Reply #736803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd let them play if you were reffing wouldn’t you J? Such a wasted talent running around domestically in WA.

Reply #736805 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Who was the 5th guy on the Tigers when they were Gaze, Copeland, Simmons and Bradtke? Brett Rainbow enough to tip this team over? :P"

Sibley in 93.

That starting line up was arguably the best over, but had zero depth (Gordon was 8th man and 9 and 10 never saw time). Back then it wasn't so much an issue but you couldn't do that these days.

That Wildcats team they beat was similar. 4 All-timers in the starting line up then little else.

Reply #736807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne didn't need depth on the bench when they had so much on the court.
Starting 5 plus 3 refs.

NB: I would hardly refer to Trevor Torrance and Martin Cattalini as "little else"

Reply #736810 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

TT was ok and played his role, but was limited. Rookie Cattalini constantly looked like a deer trapped in headlights. He turned into a great player, but in 93 he wasn't able to contribute much.

Reply #736816 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

TT was ok and played his role, but was limited.

Rookie Cattalini constantly looked like a deer trapped in headlights. He turned into a great player, but in 93 he wasn't able to contribute much.

In fact, Catt was the leading scorer off the bench for the Wildcats with 3.8ppg.

I think "little else" was a valid comment.

Reply #736818 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh Jack, good one brother!

As usual plenty of banter here, plenty of ref' bashing, accusations, elitist statements, bias comparisons, heated debates and all the hopeful enthusiastic predictions we hope for.

Can't wait, should be an epic final series.

State v State, mate v mate, classic NBL finals to be sure...

My prediction is a 5 game series, United to get up with a flop call, oh damn, who could get that one, lol...

Reply #736819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That may have been his season average, but by the GF he was close to being the best 6th man in the league.

TT played a great role for the Cats over many years.

Reply #736834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah, memories...

Well yes, history does teach us that if Perth plays Melbourne in a GF then Perth gets screwed by the refs.

So who will be this year's Ray Gordon and assault Damo at the halftime? Or will they go after Cotton.

Can you picture it, 13,000 fans booing Goulding as he makes some pissweak speech.

And of course, Cotton to win the MVP award in a losing team.
I think Grace is still the only player to ever do that?

Reply #736835 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I specifically said TT played his role.

Cattalini played in 27 games for the season, including playoffs and scored a total of 103 points. You may remember him as being "close to the best sixth man" and I'm sure he showed flashes, but he was very raw and struggled a lot under pressure. The following seasons he improved greatly.

It isn't a knock against the Wildcats, or Catt, its just the way the league was back then.

Grace, Crawf, Vlahov and Fisher scored almost exactly 80% of the points for the Wildcats that season. In anybody's language, that would suggest they had "little else".

Reply #736837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah points are the only stat that makes a player useful

Reply #736840 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I never said the other players weren't useful, just that they were very top heavy.

Your "close to the best 6th man" had a total of 8 points and 8 rebounds across 3 games in the GF series. He did not contribute much. Fact.

TT went 0-9 from the field in the decider. He did not contribute much. Fact.

Reply #736843 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I bet Gaze, Copes, Hoges and Timmons shot over 80% of the Tigers points in 97 too

That's how the 90s was. Nowadays, less teams and more depth on each team.

Reply #736851 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Exactly

Reply #736861 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I have no confidence in predicting this either way.
At their best, Cats are the better team, but hat does that even mean.
Our bench has been MIA in the SF. If that persists then we're in trouble.
Damo will play his guts out, but I'm not sure he's up to a 5 game series if he has to play big minutes. That means Cotton at the point for serious minutes, which means Steindl and Hire have to get their fingers out. On the plus side White was good in both games, so hopefully he keeps that up.
Wagstaff's inconsistency is becoming a problem. We need him firing if we're to have a solid chance.

HCA does give us the edge, buts its not insurmountable. Looking for that win in game 1 so e get off to a good start.

Reply #736893 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Following on from yesterday's article, this is Part 2:

Perth's Playbook: How Can Melbourne Defend It?

Reply #736982 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Game day! Small bet on Cats 1-10. Should be tight, Cats have to win this first game or it's all over.

Reply #737063 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I can't see the margin getting to double figures unless one coach says "game over, clear the bench. Let's reset in game 2"

Reply #737067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting excited now, can't tip a winner but think home court should get Perth the W. Should be a great game, hopefully not over refereed and a one sided foul count.

Reply #737122 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I am enjoying how precious some east coast fans are about the game time.

Personally I blame daylight savings.

Reply #737123 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I can't tip this game. Nothing within 20 points either way would really surprise me because finals pressure can do funny things.

Overall though I feel like United are likely to steal one in Perth, whereas I don't think Perth are going to get one on the road. That's partly because Melbourne are a very good team, and partly because both their home games are < 48 hours after games in Perth and I think Melbourne's depth will be a factor in those. Trevor seems more easily spooked into reverting to his starters.
Very happy that Norton is back. Not sure how effective he will be in games 1 & 2, but if his leg survives the weekend he could be important later.

Reply #737124 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Very happy that Norton is back.
Perth are 7-8 with their full squad and 13-2 with injuries, so Norton's return pretty much hands the series to Melbourne I would imagine.

Reply #737125 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

It's been sorted Kobe.

When Norton was told he was in, he gave dech an overly aggressive tap on the shoulder, and we are counting it as an injury

Reply #737126 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

That series of playbook articles leaves me wondering about Joey Wright's need for stacked teams and speed to be succesfull.
I watchedthe "guru of Go" 30/30 documentary, and actually attended the great mans two Australian clinics back in the day. So I don't disrepect the diffuculty of this philosophy at all, but can it last for more than 2 seasons in a club
- not so certain.

Reply #737127 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Any chance of a truce on the teeange-angst style ref sooking tonight? Some civil discussion about what should be a ripper of a GF series?

Reply #737131 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They actually shipped Matt Russell across the country for this a GF game.

Reply #737133 | Report this post

Terrico you da real MVP

Reply #737134 | Report this post

Terrico you da real MVP

Reply #737135 | Report this post

Good to see the refs are only calling the fouls that are there early

Reply #737136 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Beware Hoopsters

I feel another "ref bashing" thread coming on.

Reply #737137 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

No question the Melbourne bench is better than the Wildcats and it's showing right now

Reply #737138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a pretty start to the series

Reply #737139 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Can't wait for this game to begin.

Reply #737140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how many viewers on the east coast will survive past half time

Reply #737141 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That was the warmup, right?

Reply #737142 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Geez I can't tell if I'm more nervous. Or everyone on the court other than T.

Kennedy is not enjoying himself. Refs haven't been horrible (from what I've seen)

Hoping for some better off%

Reply #737143 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Both teams have scouted their opposition well. A lot of switching on cutters away from the ball.

Reply #737144 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

I watch a fair bit of NBA, thought I'd tune in and give this a chance, it's actually terrible, not just the skills but the decisions, total jungle ball!

Reply #737145 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yep, this is totally sh!t right now. Garbage.

Reply #737146 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Melb in particular making a lot of mistakes. Moller shooting early in the clock, Ware dishing off to Moller late in the clock, DJ missing 4 FTs.

Reply #737147 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

That was a bad call on Jervis, the earlier one he was moving but that time he wasn't

Reply #737148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good ol Tommy Twoquickfouls

Reply #737149 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Goulding "falling down" easily already

Reply #737150 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Refs have shown up before either team.

Thankfully I'm not sober

Reply #737151 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Nothing like some imaginary fouls to help united, legal screen and then whatever that was meant to be on wagstaff... absolutley pathetic.

Reply #737152 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Gleeson to the ref:

"Oi! You call another foul on us and you won't get that cheque at the end of the game!"

Reply #737153 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gleeson in desperate need of a razor.

Reply #737154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Death, taxes, and J whinging about how unfair the refs are to the wildcats

Reply #737155 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding playing like Demopolous still on the sidelines.

Reply #737156 | Report this post

Ah shit

Reply #737157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt a thug.

Reply #737158 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HT PER 29-33 MEL

Where's that vomit GIF...

Reply #737159 | Report this post

I sort of miss young Goulding who would have talked trash in moments like that

Reply #737160 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

DJ would be a huge loss if he doesn't return, but at the same time this is supposed to be the deepest team in the league.

Reply #737161 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Angus and the refs sending a message..........

Reply #737162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

won't matter if Perth's only scorer keeps bricking it like this

Reply #737163 | Report this post

DJ won't be back this game. I doubt he plays Sunday either

Reply #737164 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jessica from Bunnings lol.

These are the complete opposite to Super Bowl ads.

Reply #737165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow what a horrible game of basketball. United in front despite the non call on Brandts thuggery hitting DJ Kennedy. Kennedy also missing 4 FT as well. United should be way in front. Good odds on United tonight and backed them to go back to back at the start of the season.

Reply #737167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty clear what perth’s tactics are - screen and hurt. I can’t believe how much Gleeson whinges. It will be a shame if Kennedy misses games.

Reply #737169 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wildcats have just sent out an e-mail re: Game 3 tickets after a not-the-best advert half of basketball.

Who the F is Paddy Sweeney? Is Lachy Reid away somewhere?

Reply #737170 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's pretty clear what Perth's tactics were - they were the ones who rear-ended DJ Kennedy!

Reply #737171 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just watched replay

With the absolute nonsense they call as USF'S these days, they really should be consistent and call Brandt for a USF or disqualifying foul

Stepped sideways and knocked a guy in the head with his shoulder- that's about 10x worse than many of the USFs they call now

Reply #737173 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Brandt didn't make a dirty play against Kennedy when he got hurt, watch the replay he didn’t move. Was just an unfortunate thing where he clipped his shoulder with his face and then snapped his head back which appeared to aggravate a past neck injury

Reply #737174 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

dat neck hair

Reply #737175 | Report this post

lol I was wrong

Reply #737176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman saying Kennedy might be back, he's on.

Reply #737177 | Report this post

David Barlow looks like an Ostrich when he shoots

Reply #737178 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Watch the replay

Brandt moved into him

Bare minimum was a moving screen

Reply #737179 | Report this post

Go glad that a Netball club is entering the NBL

Reply #737180 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great to see DJ back out there!

Reply #737181 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LOL @ Redhage being super excited re: SEM Phoenix. What a brown nose.

Reply #737182 | Report this post

How many times can Ware get shafted on charge calls

Reply #737183 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Block on Casper- joke

Watch refs ramp up the Perth love down the stretch

Reply #737184 | Report this post

Nick Kay and the mad threes

Reply #737185 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Shocking call on Casper.. great DJ is playing again

Reply #737186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking st the start of the second half. Should have been a charge on cotton.

Reply #737187 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LV vs. J in a ref calls battle - whoever wins we lose.

Reply #737188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Barlow realised the finals have started? After a great season, he's been shocking in the finals.

Reply #737189 | Report this post

Cadee > Barlow

Reply #737190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb early time out by Vickerman, they need one now !!

Reply #737191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Was just an unfortunate thing where he clipped his shoulder with his face"
Mate thats a foul....

Reply #737192 | Report this post

Lol at Barlow's ass

Reminds me of Flanders in that ski episode

Reply #737193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee > Barlow
THanks Mrs Cadee. Where is your guide dog?

Reply #737194 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

... travel?

Reply #737195 | Report this post

He's with God now

Reply #737196 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Not caught up on here...

But how the fk was that a travel? Clear block

Reply #737197 | Report this post

Money Makin Mitch Norton

Reply #737198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should have been a block on Cotyon - not a travel. These refs are stamping their influence on the game.

Reply #737199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it was a travel. Why the fuck is Kennedy playing. Concussion undoubtedly. Again and it appears to be again.

Reply #737200 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So are we tossing goulding for running theough damo and then Norton lv?

Reply #737201 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So are we tossing goulding for running theough damo and then Norton lv?

Reply #737203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the slow mo replay thing if you need to. IRL it was an obvious travel. Those that know the game know that and saw it.

Reply #737204 | Report this post

Ilix Plidga

Reply #737205 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Utd are horrible.

Reply #737206 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Jesse Wagstaff showing just how important GF experience is.

Reply #737207 | Report this post

Stuart Flagstaff is a gun

Reply #737208 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perth looking more dangerous than Michael Jackson at a primary school

Reply #737209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cats made the most of their 8-5 advantage that quarter

Reply #737210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J - if it was the other way round, you would have called Goulding out for flopping.

Reply #737211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he knows how to foul.

Reply #737212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

double double machine kay is unusually quiet with 6 & 3 so far.

Reply #737213 | Report this post

Flagstaff again

Reply #737214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flogstaff.

Reply #737216 | Report this post

Home cooking is delicious

Reply #737217 | Report this post

MONEY MAKIN

Reply #737218 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That foul on Casper- where's that been on Perth all game?

Reply #737219 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

cant they find a netball coach to interview ?

Reply #737220 | Report this post

Boone got raped 50 times and no call

Reply #737221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Clear foul on Kay before DJ turnover leading To Kay Put back dunk

Reply #737222 | Report this post

Big Shot Makin Caspar Ware

Reply #737223 | Report this post

Terrico the Terreal MVP

Reply #737224 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper playing really well

Perth just shooting too well and United D not as sharp in half 2

Reply #737225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Untied.That is all. Very disappointing.

Reply #737226 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hmmm, I wonder which team is losing.

Reply #737227 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Really soft hooking call.

Reply #737228 | Report this post

Damo the Snip3r

Reply #737229 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper barely touched Cotton on that "hook "

I like watching great players play,

I don't enjoy watching the refs screw them over

Reply #737230 | Report this post

Boom boom boom let me hear you say Damo

Reply #737231 | Report this post

Flopstaff pls

Reply #737232 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United needs more contributors than Casper if they're going to win this series....

Perth scout has been supreme, they know United and they defend well

United needs to execute well, hit the big shots against the best defensive opponent.

Perth has played a great game, tight D and then hit a good percentage in this 2nd half

Reply #737233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didn't get the w tonight but Casper is the real MVP this season

Reply #737234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoyed the game but one ref has been horrible.

Reply #737235 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think overall both teams defended really well tonight. Big difference was Perth's shooting and Melbourne's offense - too much early-shot clock hero ball stuff and poor turnovers.

Reply #737236 | Report this post

This series will probably go 5 games

Reply #737237 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

don't know that that virgin GF ref is going to get a lot more, it did not obviously affect the outcome, but I'm certain nthat the standard of play is significantly ecceeding the ability of the officials to call it well consistently.
It crearly does diminish the enjoyment for a basketball purist, but it seems most are there for the " entertainment spectacular" so that does not really get diminished.

Reply #737238 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not sure which is more laughable, the Ware blocking call or LV wanting Brandt to be ejected.

Reply #737239 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper was best player on court- stepped up offensively and defended Cotton well

But DJ barely put up a shot after his injury break, CG hit a few but nowhere near his best, McCarron restricted by foul trouble

Perth had more contributors. White stepped up in 2nd half, Brandt got the better of Boone, Kay did the little things, Wagstaff with a nice cameo. Perth's bigs got the better of Uniteds overall

Few question marks, DJ's health, and Boone has often looked less sharp in 2nd game of back to back.

It's a long series, there will be 9000 or 10000 loud fans at Hisense on Sunday, a little confidence goes a long way and I'm predicting we're back here next Friday and it's 1-1

Reply #737240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old is pissed. A United supporter it seems ;)

Reply #737241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow has looked injured slow for weeks, Gleeson good coach though I'm not certain that Neilson is doing most but refs got stop his bitching. The 4 spot is holding Melbourne back Moller should get some time there. Pledger shot selection is ordinary at times.
Perth are ruthless, though that young ref out of his depth helped them but didn’t change the game.

Reply #737242 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

How come Norton can never keep his feet when driving to the basket? He'll never replace Martin when Damian retires. Wildcats will get an import PG.

Reply #737243 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Will catch up on the thread in a min.

Before I read. Ain't seen nothing since half time.

Kay needs to step up.

Angus was lucky after on his "screen" against Kennedy.

Goulding is the bitch we all expected.

Casper can't be contained for long.

Cotton wasn't at his best.. look out.

T better have got motm. Easily best on court.

I'ma watch my recorded footage. But I'm happy with that despite being drunk as

Reply #737244 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

LV can't use lopsided free throws as an excuse. Has to resort to pick and choosing calls to sleep better.

Reply #737245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well would you look at that. 8 FTA vs 14.

Reply #737246 | Report this post

Paulo  
Years ago

Well that's all she wrote folks. This series was always going to come down to who wins game 1.

The reality is the loser of tonight’s game needs to win 3 of the next 4 games with 2 of those games on the oppositions home court. Not likely.

Well played Perth Wildcats. Congratulations on your 9th Championship.

Reply #737247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paulol

Reply #737248 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I wouldn't be so sure Paulo. Melbourne are far from done.

Reply #737249 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great win Perth just 2 more wins needed.
Feels like an eternity since last championship.

Reply #737250 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Tigers won deciding game 3 in Perth in 93

Tiers won game 5 Sydney n 2008

Tigers swept Kings in 2006 with games 1 and 3 in Sydney

It can be done again.

But you generally need 2 things to win a championship at any level in any sport

You need to be playing at or near your best.

And you need a bit of luck, or perhaps not "luck" per se, but just the feeling of things going your way. Things need to go right for you.

Neither happened tonight. Kennedy looked dangerous in first half but got a dirty hit and was out of sorts afterwards. Last year United was "lucky" Childress went down

The series could go either way but let's be honest, Perth were better tonight.

Ever since the NZ game early in season, it's been obvious Kennnedy is super important. If he's not playing, or is playing but not right due to concussion, Perth is the favorite for game 2

On the other hand if CG43 shoots like last weekend and Boone brings his best, United wins

In other words there's plenty of water to go under the bridge, anything could happen but obviously Perth is in the box seat, thanks Captain obvious

Reply #737251 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Now even more desperate when invoking memories of the Tigers.

Reply #737252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Betting markets have United shorter priced favourites for game 2 than Perth were for game 1. This is far from over. Look for Cotton to struggle in game 2. Can Perth's supporting cast keep up with United in their own building?

Reply #737253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fk me, walking out of the arena i was thinking "thank god after some of those shit calls against the Wildcats we won't hear Melbourne fans using the refs as an excuse" log onto social media and Melbourne fans complaining everywhere. Yeah you got unkucky with some calls, but you can't ignore the ones that went Melbournes way and use reffing as an excuse. United were outplayed most of the game.

Side note, it's so annoying how they often don't show replays of bad calls or incidents at the arena, regardless of it's a bad call on Perth or the opposition.

Overall a solid team performance by Perth, looked really good defensively for most of the game but couldn't make the most of it offensively in the first half.

White solid all night, Wagstaff winding back the clock for a little cameo performance, kay not a stand out but got the job done, good return from norton.

Can't believe it was a 10 point perth win with cotton going 0/9 from three and steindl 1/5.

Reply #737254 | Report this post

Heaters67  
Years ago

Seriously LV what drugs are you on? Kennedy ran into Brandt and came off second best. Nothing dirty whatsoever. Do you muppets get different vision beamed into your hobbit holes over east?

Yes the refs were horrible but anyone who thinks that was home cooking needs to check themselves into a psychiatric ward.

Just admit for once in your miserable Wildcats hating lives they the best team won.

Reply #737255 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There were some horrible calls against Perth

Screen foul n Jervis when he wasn't moving

Clean strip by Damo

United had more bad ones, like pretty much every single call on Casper Ware just to get us started, but no way were the refs the reason for the result

Perth was easily the better team, I've said that many times above

Series far from over though, United have achieved waaay too much over the past 2 seasons to write them off after a game one

30 of past 33 home games in NBL finals won by the home team. Big chance that continues this whole series if I'm being objective for a second

Big Qn mark- DJ's health

Reply #737256 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If the NBL have concussion protocols, it may prevent Kennedy from playing on Sunday.

Let's hope for DJ's wellbeing he is allowed to rest on Sunday :)

Reply #737257 | Report this post

Heaters67  
Years ago

Agree LV long way to go and United are definitely good enough to turn this around. As much as I live the Cats I am not confident at all.

If DJ was that badly hurt surely they wouldn't have let him back on the floor in the second half. Milking it in my opinion just like Wagstaff did later in the game.

Reply #737261 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Melbourne lost it with turnovers, expect them to be better on Sunday.

Having McCarron in foul trouble unsettled Melbourne.

Kennedy was not the same player in the second half as he was before his injury. He will be 100% come Sunday though.

Another Perth game, another Ware charge that was called a block. He must be miffed.

Melbourne will win by 10+ on Sunday.

Reply #737264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In AFL they are switched on with concussion protocol

But in bball concussions are rare

I wonder if, in basketball they're still stuck in the ways that every sport operated under 20 years ago- player says he's fine, goes back on

Reply #737265 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually it might be 10 years ago or less

Reply #737266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes clearly he was concussed and based on his previous concussion issues he should have never been allowed back on based on the concussion protocols.
It's a Grand Final and you do what you have to do. His shots and decision making were very poor when he returned.
He also risks permanent long term damage.

Reply #737269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those that suggest Brandt's isn't a thug, it's very obvious here.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/kennedy-flattened-by-brutal-pick-20190308-p512wf.html

Reply #737270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me it looks more like a case of bad luck that DJ was chasing laterally rather than running forwards and just happened to connect in a bad spot. Nothing thuggish whatsoever on Brandt's part.

Reply #737274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt dropped his shoulder, that's a foul and I don’t support either side, it was crude.

Reply #737275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt immediately goes to check on the welfare of Kennedy. What a thug!

Reply #737276 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

United have said it was a jarred neck, and when you watch the footage, Kennedy is holding his neck pretty much straight after it happened.

One player who isn't getting a lot of love but was very important was Mitch Norton, played very well in his minutes and exploited Goulding's lack of lateral speed.

Reply #737278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was a thug play I am sure the league will put him on report via the games review panel and he will miss game 2.

But that won't happen because there is nothing to the play. DJ just got unlucky because he didn’t see Brandt there.

Reply #737279 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In no way was that a thug play, ffs probably rhe same people calling this a thug play that justified childress running through wagstaff with an elbow back in the day, because wagstaff set a mean screen.

Reply #737280 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Vickerman said in presser it was neck only. That's good news but could still be very sore

Video speaks for itself

As I said last night, what Brandt did was 10x worse than many of the "unsportsmanlike" fouls called these days

"Excessive, hard contact caused by a player in an effort to play the ball
or an opponent"

I'd say throwing your shoulder into someone's neck clearly meets the defn.

Reply #737281 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Enjoying this win while I can, cos United are no joke. Hard to pick a favourite moment.

Damos 1st or 2nd trey in Gouldings face?
Steindl block on Boone?
Wagstaff turning up to a game?
Terrico proving the doubters wrong?
Winning with 2 imports?
Vic media predicting a 3-0 win to United?

Reply #737282 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong

I'm not saying Brandt is necessarily a dirty dog

I'm just saying that given the ridiculous soft interpretation the NBL has used in recent seasons, Brandt should be pinged, because I've seen plenty of USFs paid for less

Reply #737283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that is throwing a shoulder into someone's head you need to make an appointment at OPSM.

Reply #737284 | Report this post

simon  
Years ago

Game 1 showed me nothing to give me reason to change my thoughts on how the series will unfold.

Perth to Win 3-2 with the home team winning every game.

Reply #737285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would get four weeks in the afl, reduced to three with an early guilty plea.

Reply #737286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throw his shoulder? Shut up LV, you're becoming an idiot.

Reply #737287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One player who isn't getting a lot of love but was very important was Mitch Norton, played very well in his minutes and exploited Goulding's lack of lateral speed."

Great comment Paul. The timing of Norton's return couldn't have been any better as Perth needs an extra player who can collapse the D against Melbourne. And yes that matchup with Goulding seems quite favorable.

Reply #737288 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Perth's brass band gives me the shits. Loud. Pompous. Overbearing.

Reply #737289 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Time to get on the brass band train, Manu.

Reply #737290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst brass band in the NBL by a wide margin!

Reply #737291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most arrogant brass band I've ever seen.

Reply #737292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I especially hate how audible they are

Reply #737293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns brass band is just Manu and a mate smoking a can bong.

Reply #737294 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Winning with 2 imports?]

One is mvp level, the other a good player

[Vic media predicting a 3-0 win to United?]

Who?

Perth were favourites for the series, but pretty much everyone thought this would be a tight 4 or 5 game series

Reply #737295 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

John Casey predicted 3-0, the rest of them predicted United.

Reply #737296 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yes agree- Norton was a big influence last night

As was Wagstaff in the 3rd quarter hitting some big shots

Perth's bench contains 3 players who started for several seasons at their previous NBL teams

Plus Wagstaff who's been 6th man on 4 championship teams, and Hire who is tough as nails and a team first guy. Then Vague

Their starting 5 contains Bryce Cotton, an all NBL 1st team and Boomers PF, a good 2nd import, a 6 time DPOTY and a regular Boomers centre

People were raving about United and Sydney rosters all year but Perth's comparatively didn't get the credit it deserves

Reply #737297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Casey was SA not Vic?

Reply #737298 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

LV elite at reverse woofing

Reply #737299 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Beware Hoopsters

I feel another "ref bashing" thread coming on.

Credit where it's due - that was an excellent prediction.
I feel like maybe some of the gloss is taken off it by the fact that you were the main culprit, but I can't fault the accuracy.

Reply #737300 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ahaha fair call Luuuc ;-)

Reply #737301 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Only one game, both team's had shit calls but because perth won it's home cooking and if they lost then everyone will say they needed a 3rd import. Simple really.

Boone and Barlow don't look 100% and Wear is an elite player. Got abused for actually clapping when Ware hit some tough shot's.

Both team's a worthy winner's but let's take the positive in a game. Reminded me of the Perth v New Zealand tough and physical it's a grind.

Reply #737302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao at people thinking Brandt is a thug, nothing in it. There is the slightest of movements but thats natural when bracing for impact while standing your ground.

Would you rather him get easily knocked over and/or flop to the ground on that play?

Reply #737303 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just watching the replay

McCarrons first 2 fouls he literally didn't even touch his opponent (425,1st on Cotton and 224, 1st on Kay). His 3rd late 2nd quarter was a bit clumsy, probably there but soft nonetheless

McCarrons 4th was 702 3rd qtr, rebounding foul, nothing in it

So McCarron was sitting early 3rd, after playing 11 minutes, called for 4 fouls of which only 1 was a foul

Casper had multiple incorrect fouls called against him, and another soft one where corresponding contact wasn't called on Pertg

So in other words United's best two perimeter defenders were totally screwed

Then Perth got going with 3s in the third

Those fouls won't be called tomorrow and it'll be a different ballgame

These are the little things that influence outcomes and part of the reason home teams have won 30 of the past 33 finals games

Reply #737305 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Pretty funny, Mitch gets called for a rebounding foul for brushing Martin with his pinky finger. McCarrons 4th (702, 3rd)

A minute later (601, 3rd) DJ is first to a loose ball, Martin cannons into him and knocks him flying, no call

As crowds get louder, refs favor home team. Happens more in playoffs because crowd is more involved

It's human psychology, there is no way around it. Just interesting to observe.

I'm sure same will happen tomorrow in United's favour

Reply #737306 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

You are a pathetic human being LV.

Reply #737307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth 8 free throws, Melbourne 14 free throws. That is some home cooking. I suppose United missing 8 freebies from the line (6/14) was the referees fault also. Smh

Reply #737309 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

So LV that would mean united get home cooking? Can't wait for your wright up after tomorrow's game. Watch the replay of how many times perth don't get a foul called.

Reply #737312 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not blaming the refs for the result

It was typical playoffs basketball- the home team got the better of the reffing and got an advantage from that

Not outrageously so though- Perth had some bad calls against them too (Damo, Jervis, Kay all called for fouls that werent there)

United knows they'll need to play a ripper game to win a final in Perth. Last night they didn't play their best, so can't expect to win.

Reply #737314 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lovebroker:

You are a pathetic human being LV.

Haha you just can't script this shit. jesus h christ

Reply #737318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm not blaming the refs for the result"

Yes you are. You do it every time United lose. You’ve been doing it for years. You simply can’t accept your team was outplayed in the second half.

Reply #737320 | Report this post

VL  
Years ago

I don't support either team.

(I just happen to hate Perth and think the sun shines out of Melbourne's ass.)

You can clearly tell Brandt is a Dirty Thug, because the video clearly shows him playing for Perth.

Obviously it was Brandt driving the car that rear-ended Kennedy and gave him the underlying neck-injury.

Deserves to be rubbed out for 4 games

Reply #737321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha bizarro LV nailed it!

Reply #737323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just sad it took Kennedy getting injured to overcome the refs.
I honestly thought they would let the first couple of games play out before stepping in. My bad, clearly Larry doesn't want to take the risk.

In retrospect, I should have realised he doesn't want the series to go to 5 games. It would be good for the league, but he doesn't need the money. He wants to make the presentation in Melbourne, so they need to win in 4.

Oh well. If you accept that this was always going to be the outcome, then its been a fantastic season.
Time to switch over to AFL.

Reply #737324 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth's bigs are really good screeners

It's an underrated part of basketball

United D loosened up in that 3rd, not quite as sharp in anticipating those screens

Presumably both teams will be a touch more fatigued tomorrow so that may continue

I expect a higher scoring game tomorrow as the offenses learn to adjust, D gets tired

Reply #737325 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[ You simply can't accept your team was outplayed in the second half]

Pretty sure I've said Perth was the better team oh...I dunno? 15 times in this thread

Learn to read

Reply #737326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, left me sift through your ongoing whinging to try and find those comments...

Reply #737328 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fyi I'm a St Kilda fan

Id have a pretty tough time in life if I couldn't accept my team losing!

Reply #737329 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United relied heavily on their big 6 this season

All averaged 27+ minutes except Boone who averaged 24, which was perhaps only due to body mgmt

McCarron had to sit most of the game due to being screwed by the refs

Kennedy looked out of sorts after the incident

Barlow hasnt shown much through these playoffs

Ware was the only United player who individually had a good game, I thought.

Bottom line- after all the Xs, Os, refs, etc. Bottom line- these guys need to stand up if United is to win

I'm tipping they do and we go back to Perth 1-1

Reply #737332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screens are supposed to be set shoulder width, Brandt clear lifts his right foot and plants it twice as wide as his shoulder width, then as Kennedy goes by his left foot leaves the floor as he leads his right shoulder outside his cylinder and it hits Kennedy jaw, such is life, like all calls they go both ways and I couldn't give a f..k about Perth or Melbourne I just like basketball, but it was an illegal screen that happens a lot.

Reply #737333 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Absolutely it was as an illegal screen. No doubt whatsoever

In Perths defense, Jervis was still as a statue and was called for a moving screen

You can live with a few of those, but where it hurts you is multiple bad calls on the same person early in the game, followed by more later on same player.

Impacts rotations, strategy etc. That's what happened with McCarron

Reply #737335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Wagstaff step-up when it mattered. Hope this continues.
And White, FMD he has been so much better in the finals. 19 Points, but importantly it was at 53%, plus 8 boards!

Cotton's shoorting was off, but he made up for it elsewhere.

Hard to sy precisely where it went wrong for Melbourne. Boones was dominant on the boards but couldn't cobert, and got little support from Barlowe. Is age finally catching them up?

Reply #737336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Jervis illegal screen was incorrect. To use that as your comparison is ridiculous. Incidental clashes occur around the floor where no one is to blame. Get over it. United have.

Reply #737337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb journos haven't judging by the match story in the Age that heavily mentioned refereeing

Reply #737338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He moved his feet slightly but he did not move his body/shoulder/whatever into Kennedy. It was a perfectly legal screen.

Reply #737340 | Report this post

VLV  
Years ago

No, no, no, we must scream and shout and obfuscate, so that we can ignore the obvious...

It's clear that Kennedy hasn't recovered from the car accident, and obviously has no business being on a basketball court.
But yeah, lets blame Brandt for moving his foot.

Reply #737341 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Brandt feet were both moving, and his upper body moved across too. Made contact with defender who was in position sliding laterally

Clear foul on both real time replay and slo mo

I thought this was a basketball forum, sheesh

Reply #737343 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sure your all trolling though so I won't bit anymore ;-)

Reply #737344 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You're* and bite*

Reply #737345 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Lv can you tell me what min and quarter goulding ran straight through damo infront of the perth bench? I would like your analysis of that incident. Also when he shortly after did the same to norton after perth scored.

Reply #737346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny that no refs called it, even though they were hot on illegal screens all night, and no Melbourne player remonstrated with Brandt, and Brandt immediately was concerned for Kennedy....but LV said he should have been ejected hahahah

Reply #737347 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

From nbl.com article stating kennedy will be right for game 2 "But then his night took a turn. He turned blindly looking to go under a screen from Wildcats centre Angus Brandt, but instead went jaw first into his shoulder and the contact was flush.

While it was purely a case of him defending so intently, he didn't quite judge where Brandt was that led to the contact, it sure was a heavy blow. Kennedy went down and had to be helped from the floor and back to the locker room ahead of half-time"

Yep no one knows basketball except lv, it was a horrid screen

Reply #737348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne won the rebound count 46-42, Boone took 12 and Barlow 7. Moller also took 7 in twelve minutes. Rebounding was not the problem, turn overs by Melbourne two best players, it happens.

Reply #737349 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I agree with LV 100%. Perth were by far the better team last night.

Reply #737350 | Report this post

LVLV  
Years ago

Please excuse me, I have a rare incurable mental disorder. - For me time does not pass in a linear fashion, rather more swirly-whirly. So I am am unable to tell the difference between the past and the present.
For example I cannot tell the difference between a player who moved well prior to contact, and one who is still moving.

Furthermore my condition is exacerbated by bright primary colours, so somebody in red appears to be always moving whereas those in red always appear to be perfectly still.

Reply #737352 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'll help you guys out(giving benefit of the doubt that some of you are serious amongst the trollers)

The screen by Brandt would've been the perfect screen.....

IF he'd landed, set his feet and then Kennedy ran into him half a second later

Except that is not what happened. Brandt was moving as Kennedy arrived.

Reply #737356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Help out by posting a vid.

Reply #737358 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just for the newbies who honestly don't know the rules

Official fiba rules 2017

Rule 33.7

"Illegal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
 Was moving when contact occurred."

And

"If the opponent is in motion, the elements of time and distance shall apply. The screener must leave enough space so that the player who is being screened is able
to avoid the screen by stopping or changing direction."

Reply #737359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #737369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically what you're saying is that foul called on Jervis was an incorrect call that went Melbourne's way

Reply #737371 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

We get stuck with Koberulz, Dazz and Perthworld here in WA but you Victorians get LV lol.

Reply #737373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You conveniently left out a screen set in the players field of vision. Plus within his cylinder. Brandt does not step outside his shoulder with. Has established a position that is not already occupied on the court and is allowed to turn within his cylinder to protect himself. He turns 3% at best. Maybe do not cut and paste sections of the rules that suit your argument LV!

Reply #737379 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Perth played the better TEAM basketball, Melbourne were poor, and the refs screwed both teams and didn't allow the teams to settle and the game to flow due to the poor calls. Perth adjusted more quickly to that.

Perth impressed me by playing cleaner than I expected them to. Kennedy was just unlucky.

Roll on game 2, and hopefully some different (& competent) refs.

Reply #737384 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Furthermore my condition is exacerbated by bright primary colours, so somebody in red appears to be always moving whereas those in red always appear to be perfectly still.
I'm assuming this is a mistake but it actually works.

Reply #737386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the refs screwed both teams and didn't allow the teams to settle and the game to flow due to the poor calls."

Can't agree. There were few fouls called for the game, especially considering the physicality, the refs certainly didn't cause the game not to flow.

Reply #737387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some idiot said "There is the slightest of movements but thats natural when bracing for impact while standing your ground."
The another dickwad said "He moved his feet slightly but he did not move his body/shoulder/whatever into Kennedy. It was a perfectly legal screen"
Then another expert said "Funny that no refs called it, even though they were hot on illegal screens all night, and no Melbourne player remonstrated with Brandt, and Brandt immediately was concerned for Kennedy"

The slightest of movements is indeed and illegal screen. Said defensive player needs to be STATIONARY.
Yet again moving your feet slightly is an ILLEGAL screen.
Oh the refs not calling it shows that there were 3 refs out there last night that really don't understand the rules.

Oh none of the experts mentioned that Brandt was in an illegal screen situation because his moving feet were not withing the cylinder and his feet were spread so w i d e that as he tried to move them into a legal position he illegally hit DJK.
Unfortunately everyone here and the refs missed the most valid point of all.
Illegal screen without doubt.

Reply #737395 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink..."

Brandts body was moving, his feet were moving, and yes as the poster above says his feet were wider than his shoulders anyway

Literally everything was moving, but apparently he was perfectly stationary and therefore setting a legal screen

Just another one for the newbie learners...

"Legal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
 Was stationary (inside his cylinder) when contact occurred."

He wasn't stationary and his feet were outside his cylinder

Failed on both counts

We need some Braithwaite in here. Hoorsses yeeah!

Reply #737396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WA cockwombles won't get it, and if they do they will never admit it.

Reply #737397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#333 said it all three hours ago.

Reply #737398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does his feet being wide have to do with anything? Was the contact with his feet? Was the contact with his leg? No the contact was with his shoulder which is the width of his cylinder and he has that distance front to back! Omg smh another clueless spectator

Reply #737399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to worry LV, the refs still have the next 3 games to screw Perth over.

I imagine the poor and homeless are already queuing for tomorrow's feast.

Reply #737400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And in addition LV if you want every screen "stationary “, Barlow would have played 30 mins for the entire season! Just saying.

Reply #737401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh boy, the screen width is supposed to be shoulder width by the rules. It doesn't get called much but there the rules. Brandt was twice as wide, which in the old days was called outside the cylinder.

Reply #737403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#403 you are correct. But the point outside the cylinder has to be the contact area for it to be illegal. The contact was on the shoulder (his cylinder) not his feet which were outside. Maybe learn the rules.

Reply #737406 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Whether or not that point is correct doesn't change the fact that his whole body and his feet were moving!

Ffs someone kindly embedded the video about 15 posts up. Just watch it!!

It's really not that hard... he was moving, ie, not in position

Reply #737412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Learn the rule with both eyes open.

Reply #737414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754