Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Round 3 and Power Rankings

Power Rankings (quick version as time is thin this week)

1. North Adelaide - Dominant and already just toying with the weaker opponents.
2. Forestville Eagles - Putting up big numbers on the offensive end.
3. Norwood Flames - Look to have struggled vs weaker opponent on the weekend.
4. West Adelaide Bearcats - Easily accounted for Southern at home.
5. Mt Gambier Pioneers - Week off, will be interesting to see how teams perform in the Mount
6. Central District Lions - Will know more after they play Forestville.
7. Woodville Warriors - Gave up 123 but did manage 98 themselves.
8. Southern Tigers - Awful second half vs West, looking the weakest they have for a few years.
9. Eastern Mavericks - Much improved effort, import combo looks to be a handful.
10. South Adelaide Panthers - Week off, will want to prove they're better than they showed round 1.
11. Sturt Sabres - Still can't get within single digits of anyone.

On to the games...

South vs West
Bearcats took care of business behind solid import production and the steady hand of veterans Spud and Thomas. Nice cameo from Fabian Johnson off the bench. South will have had some time to integrate their new players and coach after a disappointing round 1. Can't see it being enough.

West by 12.

Mount Gambier vs Southern
After splitting their first road double Mt Gambier will look to protect their home court this week. Their starting 5 appears to be among the best in the league with a good mix of youth and experience. Tom Daly could prove a tough matchup for pace. Drmic and Turnage scored 38 between them but at an uncharacteristic 40%. Tigers will need more contributors to challenge this year.

Mt Gambier by 8.

Eastern vs Woodville
Mavs showed their ability to compete with top teams last week but couldn't get over the line. Brandon Morris appears to be a matchup problem for teams with 29 and 15 last week. Woodville couldn't contain the Forestville juggernaught but they won't be alone in that this season. Matchup between the bigs will be critical this game.

Eastern by 2.

Centrals vs Forestville
Great test for Centrals going up against an in form side. Forestville appear too deep for the Lions with them having 6 legitimate threats. Kane De Wit and Michael Harris both had phenomenal games last week, with Harris having 40 and De Wit 16 assists on 0 turnovers.

Forestville by 15.

Norwood vs North
An early season blockbuster with traditional rivals facing off. Neither team has put a foot wrong so far, though North sure have taken care of business in more spectacular fashion. The Flames will struggle to matchup on the Rockets import duo which could be the difference. I know where I'll be Saturday!

North by 9.

Sunday
West vs Sturt
Sabres get the rest Saturday night but the games don't get any easier for them. West were clinical last week and show signs of being an under the radar contender this year. Sturt show no such signs but they did challenge a half-interested North for 3 quarters last week.

West by 17.

Topic #44957 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice writeup. Keep up the good work.

Reply #737846 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

here, here

Reply #737861 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Yes, great write up. Nice to just discuss the games. Now just lock the thread so the keyboard warriors can's start their childish personal attacks on teams, coaches and players.

Reply #737917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst you're at it, lock all the threads so people cant voice their opinion.

Reply #737918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great write up...but I think West will win by more than 17.

Reply #737919 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Premier league fans travelling to Mount Gambier are going to be in for a schock when they see ticket prices at the Icehouse!

Reply #737931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Know that when one player saw Icehouse his eyes lit up, hes in for a disappointment.

Reply #737935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expecting a blow out in the Mount.

Hoping for a close one between Norwood & North.

Reply #737939 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

blow out which way? Southern looked dusty last week.

Reply #737941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Southern not looking the goods this season. Think it will be an easy win for the Pioneers.

Reply #737942 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

#737918 I don't believe i mentioned anything about blocking people's opinions but rather the childish personal attacks as per the round 2 thread.
Happy to read about peoples opinions on the games and matchups but its the uneducated, ill informed personal attacks on players and coaches that are getting a little old and tired.

Reply #737943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah Southern not looking the goods this season."

They've played one game...

Reply #737946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, let me rephrase.. southern look like they're lacking depth. Just can't see where their D is gonna come from

Reply #737947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the educated and informed knowledge of players and coaches that lay person dousnt know of

Reply #737954 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Let us know anyone.
What are the entry ticket prices for the Ice House at Mt.Gambier?
Are we going to be that shocked?

Reply #737956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think close to $20 per person

Reply #737957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$18.31 for adults through Ticketmaster

Reply #737962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$18 isn't cheap, but I'm not "shocked" nonetheless.

Reply #737964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood - North will be good game pitting Norwood with no bench strength v North who have lost that miserly defensive intensity from last year

Norwood if they keep starters in the court

Reply #737969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about North losing their D that much. Sturt may have scored too much, 78, but they did hold Gambier to 68. Yet to give up 80 points.

Reply #737970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North and Norwood nearly 2 extremes, Norwood have no bigs and rely on perimeter while North are very strong inside. If Legan,Webbers or Lycett light up from three they would be hard to beat, but who will guard Starling and Dowdell, let alone get second chance points. Will be interesting how McVeigh and Bj go against the Norwood vets, expect the Webbers to easily rile up Bj. Early in season but Bj has shown not much,will have to show up and lead in this one. Will Norwood pull a deadline move and get a big import or will there be the usual mercenary DJ signing in last few games, imagine the uproar at Wayville!!! Surely the shorthanded Flames can pull out a few dollars and get a big,looks like that's what standing between them and true contention.

Reply #737986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Moultrie and which Webber comes off bench to allow him to start

Reply #738016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends which coach makes the call at Norwood. The playing/ coach/ point guard or the guy masquerading as coach on the sideline.

Reply #738235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pioneers get the w in both women and men. Surprisingly their women will be pushing for a playoff spot. Great experience for the young Adelaide teams to play in that gym.

Reply #738262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals men tried hard against the Eagles. That's just about all the positives they can take out of that effort.

Reply #738264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't find live stats for any men’s games. I’m sure it is me! Could someone provide a link?

Reply #738265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing job by Mt Gambier women producing a more than competitive team. Starting from nothing it already looks like they are better than half the local teams, the excuse that central can't recruit because of the distance looks a bit silly now.

Reply #738266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think the only positive for Centrals was they kept them under 150, wtf happened

Reply #738271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount gambier women didn't recruit anyone and only one import at this stage

Reply #738272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we go back to the ticket prices at Gambier...WTF - Door tickets are only $8 max in Adelaide. Shouldn't they be kept to the same as what we charge up here. Shouldn't BSA look at this as this is unacceptable considering people have costs to drive down there, hotel, etc. Maybe if they do this to the public they should be outcasted next season. Causing bad blood. Shame on you Pioneers.

Reply #738670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood beating North by a point was a cracker of a game. Norwood looked the more cohesive team at this stage of the season.

Reply #738675 | Report this post

Fastbreak  
Years ago

The difference is the Pioneers have a product that is well supported and in demand so they can charge $18 per adult. They also have no junior comp to pull funds unlike the city clubs. Not sure how this could cause bad blood between clubs unless you don't like playing in front of 1000 people!

Reply #738695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

670, you're willing to spend time and money on travelling to Mt Gambier for two games of basketball, but can't look past paying $10 more than you're accustomed for a ticket?

Explain why the Pioneers ought to charge the same as other clubs, despite demand enabling them to viably charge more?

Reply #738700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demand? Who is going to go watch apart from the players family?

Reply #738774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you weren't willing to pay $18 then you wouldn't have...

How many were at the game on Saturday night?

Reply #738776 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

More than 1000 people apart from players families that's who. Price doesn't and hasn't worried them in past.

Reply #738777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shit they sold it out. That's solid community spirit

Reply #738782 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

The only way they'll drop ticket prices is if the fans vote with their feet and don't go. Say what you want, $18 is excessive for local Basketball so don't pay it, don't travel to the Mount and when the crowds dwindle prices will drop.

Reply #738791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The only way they'll drop ticket prices is if the fans vote with their feet and don't go."

i.e. a shift in "demand". I recall someone else mentioning that very concept...

"Say what you want, $18 is excessive for local Basketball"

Evidently not for many.

Reply #738794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Local clubs could learn a thing or two about marketing and community engagement. They have a product that people want to see. I'm surprised they only charged the same considering fans get 2 games now instead of 1.

If they got 100 people I could accept peoples views on the price. But they get 1000. Every game. Even with a change of competition and night. If the locals don't mind paying to support it, why would Adelaideans?

Reply #738797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should probably increase the price on the supply and demand argument if all their games are sold out.

Those from southern complaining are doing so simply out of jealousy. If their club could charge that amount and get 1000 people to turn up they would, however they struggle to get 100 people at $8.

Perhaps rather than whinge and moan at others being successful in a certain way try and find/create/develop to improve and hopefully achieve that level. That would be a far better approach rather than trying to bring down those achieving at higher level.

If you don't like it, don’t come! It will simply free up seats for the local fans!

Reply #738803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you been to a Southern game? They easily have the biggest crowds in Adelaide.

Reply #738813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they get 200 then? If it is at capacity and turning people away they should increase ticket prices. I understand from comments on other threads that they could do with an increase in income.

Reply #738816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say they average 400-500 from games I've been to.

Reply #738817 | Report this post

I think you're vastly underestimating how big 400-500 people is

Reply #738819 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754