Anonymous
Last month

NBL1

With the season starting next Friday it's time to start a topic with the correct name.
NBL1.

Hobart Huskies announce the signing of Jalen Adams. His write up looks impressive. Lets hope he is as good on the track here.

Topic #44998 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Last month

Any web page yet ? Team lists ?

Reply #739068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

I love that on the https://www.nbl1.com.au/ website, the "view schedule" up the top has no link

"REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
Get the latest news from NBL1 including player signings, fixture release and more by signing up below."

haha what's the bet there has been no news sent around

Reply #739069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Where is Adnam, Wilson, Moller playing. Any news rumours

Reply #739070 | Report this post

LC  
Last month

Hearing Moller may be suiting up for Sandringham.

The media guide is expected early next week apparently.

Reply #739071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Moller and Barlow that would be formidable.

Reply #739072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, bet the first games won't even be available on live stats let alone to view
Just who is actually running this league

Reply #739081 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Last month

Barlow back to Sandy and I heard Sam McDaniel as well.
Sandy play Hobart on Friday night as the opener.

Reply #739094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Reckon sandi would be happier with Moller than McDaniel, it's Moller old Ballarat coach isn’t it.

Reply #739109 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Last month

I registered, have not received a thing.

Even the under 14 C grade girls down at Pakenham can get a sportingpulse (or sportstg whatever its called) fixture online, where's a preview? wheres some news?? Way to promote an exciting new league BV.

Reply #739110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Moller won't be playing with Sandy or in NZ.

Reply #739118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

NBL None!

Reply #739119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Hobart Huskies played the NW Thunder yesterday (away) Losing 75 - 61.
Thunder at full strength. Huskies with a few more players to add. Looking good for the Huskies IMO.

Reply #739310 | Report this post

Chanp  
Last month

Any news out of Sandringham in the men or women? Scarily quiet only days out of Round 1 with nothing on their website.

Reply #739362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Read above.

Reply #739366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Cooper-Brown men's coach, Barlow, McDaniel, Moller and Carter playing at Sandringham is the rumour.

Reply #739368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Chris Goulding to the Huskies ?

Reply #739375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

when do the teams get finalized, I haven't seen a full squad yet anywhere

Reply #739381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Moller won't be at the Sabres, nor will Goulding be at the Huskies.

Reply #739382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

were do get to watch nbl.1

Reply #739403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

NBL1 is looking like a poor man's competition compared to what the NZBL competition will be.
So many NBL players will playin in this competition.
With the alliance of the NBL in NBL1, Kestelman must be looking over his shoulder very often.
Better pay, shorter season and everyone wins. The perfect reason to join in the off NBL season rather than play the long (cheaper paying) NBL1 competition.

Reply #739423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

^^^^^
Exactly, shorter season better money, a national competition against basically a Victorian competition with a 2nd Hobart team (1st in nznbl) and northern Tasmanian team.

Reply #739430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

How about we wait until the season actually starts before we start bagging it? Some of you guys have no clue what NBL1 is going to look like.

As someone who's been involved at club level for a number of years I can tell you that NBL1 is streets ahead of SEABL.

This is a brand new competition that's been pulled together within a couple of months and what they've achieved is actually incredible. Just sit back and watch and give it a chance before you start sinking the boots in.

Reply #739448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

I find it hard to believe it will be a better competition when all the good players are in the nznbl.

Reply #739452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

AS someone who has been involved with basketball in many states over decades I can assure you the NZBL is loaded with talent. Wait for Nick Kay to sign there.

Reply #739453 | Report this post

ANON  
Last month

AS someone who has been involved with basketball in many states over decades I can assure you the NZBL is loaded with talent. Wait for Nick Kay to sign there.

Hmm and how many times has NZ beaten Australia in men's and women’s basketball on the world stage ???

And how come if it’s so "loaded" with talent do they need so many NBL players and why is the NBL and WNBL not “loaded” with NZ players

Reply #739467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Nbl 1 is a second string competition in Australia. Nznbl is there top competition, it attracts the better talent, more money shorter season.

Reply #739469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

NBL1 is arguably a step down from SEABL.
No MtGambier (perennial winners over the last several years). PLus a few of the weaker Melbourne clubs bow in it as well.

Reply #739472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

How is it a step down from SEABL, SEABL wasnt made up of just one team, sure Mt Gambier are not in it, are they in any league? It has every other team in except Canberra and Sydney(who only joined a couple of years ago and were not competitive.
The women's comp in particular has plenty of WNBL and imports and their normal candidates for the top spots are still very much alive and kicking as in Dandenong, Nunawading and Kilsyth.
Few if any teams have really given out their playing rosters, because of the late organisation of the comp , but it doesn't mean they wont have high caliber players in them

Think thats a big call stating its a step down when its not even begun yet lol

Reply #739494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Jack Purchase signed with Melbourne Tigers, Next the NBL?

Reply #739535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

NBL1 website is now live. All games live streamed with commentators. Bring on round one!

Reply #739545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

"Josh Sykes - Elthan Wildcats" Oops.

Reply #739547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Laszio Dobos good to see none American import playing for Melbourne Tigers 7 3 Centre from Hungary

Reply #739553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Has Sam Froling finished College now because his playing in the NBL.1

Reply #739555 | Report this post

Cram  
Last month

Media guide and rosters through this article

https://nbl1.com.au/news/article/nbl1-set-to-begin

Reply #739563 | Report this post

Cram  
Last month

"Laszio Dobos good to see none American import playing for Melbourne Tigers 7 3 Centre from Hungary"

If I'm not mistaken he's the partner of Louella Tomlinson who plays for the Tigers women's team, so it seems a case of convenience rather than deliberately going a different path.

Good to see Tom Wilson still with the Tigers.

Reply #739566 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Last month

Deba George will be the first NBL1 retiree.

Reply #739568 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Last month

Or Rhys Carter

Reply #739569 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Last month

Hopefully Dobos and Tomlinson have a family, they would have some seriously tall kids with those genetics.

Reply #739571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

it will be the same as seabl, as it is seabl with a new name, and minus two teams only one of which who wanted to be there. the hype nbl1 is trying to create doesnt change the standard however it is fantastic that nbl are onboard to promote the league etc. i wonder if ba, when they made decision to disband consider approaching bl to take over running of seabl? in hindsight seems like it would have been a good idea.

Reply #739578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Both Hobart Huskies teams in a 2 page colour spread in today's Mercury. Fantastic.

Reply #739643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Kayla George featuring today on The Mercury's front page.

Reply #739706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Huskies men's team got some talent, but extremely young.

Reply #739709 | Report this post

Mock  
Last month

Don't sleep on Pouch Pouch.

Reply #739731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Where can I find live stats?

Reply #739786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Try here: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/NBL1/1110657/

Reply #739788 | Report this post

Trev  
Last month

Should have a national tournament and all on nbl.tv every club playing every club. Scrap the state leagues.

Reply #739790 | Report this post

ANON  
Last month

Where's the women’s live stats

Reply #739792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Thank you for the link.

Reply #739799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Try here for the women: https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/NBL1/1111119/

Reply #739800 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Is there streaming tonight?

Reply #739801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kk20B69pBA

Reply #739802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Terrible website, no live stats.
Big V kills it.

Reply #739814 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Last month

Live stats are in the match centre, under the live stream!

Reply #739824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Huskies women with Kayla George struggled to beat Sabres. However coming back from a 14 point deficit was commendable.
Huskies men struggled to beat an underwhelming Sabres side minus Barlow.
Huskies played Muo Mathiang as well.
Sabres bottom.
Live stats and streaming was available but not for the Huskies Ladies game

1 suspect that the idiot complaining all the time can't work out the technology.

Reply #739828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Thanks AARon.....May take a bit of time to find our way around the new format, but great to have every game there to view, let's hope it runs smoothly as this could be a very good way to do it.

Reply #739840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Big V doesn't kill anything! Except my eyes!!

Reply #739841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Right now the new NBL1 is indeed a bush league. Talent has gone backwards.

Reply #739960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Seasons to long to attract the better nbl players and not enough dollars.

Reply #739963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Some of the teams in the nbl1 look like big v champ quality.

Reply #739970 | Report this post

ANON  
Earlier this month

"Some of the teams in the nbl1 look like big v champ quality."

That's because that’s where they came from , they will be the “Also rans” at the bottom of the ladder lol

BIGV SC quality is a long way from what SEABL was and the NBL1 is just a rename with hopefully better administrators

Reply #739978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

Didnt most of the state champ big v teams win this weekend? Lol

Reply #739979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

With all the money Frankston have spent, they still lose to Waverley. Lol

Reply #739980 | Report this post

Jack  
Earlier this month

The teams that were promoted from Big V did pretty well on the weekend

Reply #739983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

New comp same old same old for Frankston. Spend $$$ and both teams lose.

Reply #739984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

Frankston players are there for a paycheck not to play for the jersey. In 7 years they have developed no juniors resulting in having to pay players from the outside.

Reply #739988 | Report this post

ANON  
Earlier this month

Didnt most of the state champ big v teams win this weekend? Lol

They did , but did you both to see who they played
Both men and women with the exception of Eltham v DV ( men and women) and Knox in the women who played a very underwhelming Kylsyth that's had a complete restructuring
The rest played the cellar dwellers of SEABL or the CofE a bunch of 16yr olds
Knox women have spent big bucks on recruiting former SEABL / wnbl players

Reply #739998 | Report this post

anonymous  
Earlier this month

the so called 16yr CoE kids beat Dandenong in the mens.

Waverley 107 def Frankston 99
Eltham 92 def DV 86
Kilsyth 70 def Knox 67
Ringwood 105 def CoE 94
Albury 80 def Waverley 77

So the BigV teams were 3-2 against SEABL teams

Reply #740000 | Report this post

Cram  
Earlier this month

I thought I posted in here before but seems to be gone.

Anyways...

I went to the Tigers V Braves games yesterday. Braves women are stacked with WNBL players and will be tough for anyone to beat. Tigers did well with Conti and Tomlinson working hard, but they clearly lacked the quality. Young PG Althea Angeles looks to have a future.

The Tigers men didn't have Tom Wilson in uniform (or on the bench, though he was in the stadium) and they really needed him. Lacked a genuine shot creator and will struggle big time if he doesn't play or if they don't get a decent replacement.

They played pretty good D, especially on the outside and caused a heap of turnovers which helped them score on the fast break, but really struggled in a half court set. Nic Pozoglou impressed me. Kid has some good hops and size and had a great chase down block. He needs some help though.

Reply #740001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

Wilson is also training with cats afl team, pozoglou got great athleticism but struggles team wise, still very young though and should improve his basketball iq.

Reply #740008 | Report this post

Cram  
Earlier this month

Thanks for the info re Wilson. Hoping he sticks with basketball. Kid has real talent.

Pozoglou looked really steady yesterday. 18 (6/13) and 12 with 4 steals and 2 blocks and didn't force too much. Outside shot let him down, but was good everywhere else. Defensively he was everywhere.

Daniel Dyson (or Dyson Daniels? I forget) looked pretty good for Bendigo as a 16 year old.

Reply #740027 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Earlier this month

Live stream for DV game kept dropping out but the commentary for the other games was pretty good to hear.

The highlight packages and media is better than SEABL ever was, is the on court product better or worse well thats to be debated.

All I see is the league from a visibility point of view moving in the right direction

Reply #740062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

No Tassie inclusion in reviews or video. No ladder.
Not good enough.

Reply #740064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

NO ladder FFS!

Reply #740221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

""No Tassie inclusion in reviews or video. No ladder.
Not good enough.""

they included Cayla George in their 'reviews',isn't she playing for Tassie, plenty of teams that had great wins and good scoring players didn't get mentioned either, its not just about Tassie my friend.

FYI...Ladders ARE there you just need to click on it
Id be more concerned about the lack of 'reviews'if I was a women's team, currently its a 10 to 1 review system that NBL1 has got on all its media outlets, 10 mens videos, reviews, photos etc, for every women's, last I looked both comps had the same amount of teams in mens and women's, and your bitching because a Tassie mens team didn't get a mention...lol

Reply #740269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

"plenty of teams that had great wins and good scoring players didn't get mentioned either" Well that's an immediate fail. That wouldn't happen in the Seabl.
Finally there is a proper ladder on the home page. Yeah I am bitching because like most Victorians in this League there is no respect for Tassie.
As to the women there is another reason why this comp is no where near the coverage that SEABL offered.

Reply #740588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Earlier this month

Sam Short playing very well for Ballarat, to good for a dp, Cairns should look at him as a back up guard.

Reply #740591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Sandy bottom. Knox, Franga and DV. Bottom.

Reply #740654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Brutal commentary on the YouTube feed of today's tigers games

Reply #740671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

PLease explain.

Reply #740680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Sounds like the guy has never seen a game of basketball in his life. Can't pronounce tigers players names.

Eltham Waverley game was also not great. Guy commentating way too over the top. Screaming guys names down the microphone on about every basket.

Reply #740683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Absolutely no way Melbourne Tigers should be allowed to play out of MSAC public courts. We strive to be more professional but allow this to happen?

Reply #740700 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

Went to Tigers Vs Frankston yesterday, good to see the Tigers get a win in both games.

In the men, the Tigers were actually hitting some outside shots which freed up Pozoglou to get inside and he had a great game all over the court. I was also really impressed with Will Hickey. He sometimes plays a little out of control, but he's certainly got some talent, and should probably get a look at a DP spot in the NBL next season. Has pretty good size for a SG, is a very good athlete and has a good feel for the game. Hope he keeps it up.

Damon Bozeman was everything for the Blues keeping them in the game in the first half. Iggy was very good too.

The Tigers new import, Mike Wells didn't do a whole lot. It can be tough coming in and performing straight away, but based on that effort looks to be only a backup PG.

Reply #740689 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

"Absolutely no way Melbourne Tigers should be allowed to play out of MSAC public courts. We strive to be more professional but allow this to happen?"

This certainly wasn't good. I'm guessing it has to do with the lateness of getting the NBL1 league confirmed. From what I understand it was an aberration and won't be the norm.

Reply #740702 | Report this post

LC  
Two weeks ago

Why were the Tigers not in the Show Court section yesterday?

Reply #740713 | Report this post

Cram  
Two weeks ago

There was another event on there. Gymnastics I think, but could be mistaken.

Reply #740718 | Report this post

LC  
Two weeks ago

Ah...cheers.

Reply #740722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Frankstons second import Najeal Young will suiting up tomorrow night.
Should be a welcome addition for Frankston as they have greatly lacked in size and defence in their first games.
Once Trist comes back for Frankston, they will have a somewhat deep roster.

Reply #741042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

The intrastate battle in Tassie in on tomorrow night in Hobart. Bragging rights for all.

Reply #741104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Eltham are shithouse.

Franga over the Supercats. Trist still yet to join. Interesting.

Reply #741170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two weeks ago

Franga ... just keep spending money to cover the issues. Good news is the new GM catching up with a number of "former" club people. Could be light at the end of the tunnel ... bring on the next board elections!!!

Reply #741174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Ringwood already down by 20+ and it's only the 2nd Q.

Good betting results last night with the North and North West of the Tasmania taking the bragging rights from the South.

Reply #741315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Sabres. Nothing has changed.

Reply #741319 | Report this post

anon  
Last week

Northern QBL clubs salute NBL1 growth Basketball ... - Cairns Post
https://www.cairnspost.com.au/.../northern...nbl1.../d6b83031f508191c9d83f1616ec7b2...
20 hours ago - Powerhouse northern QBL clubs have welcomed the potential of a revived national championship as well as the NBL1 brand spreading north of the border. ... Former Cairns Marlin Damon Heuir and Kuany Kuany have opted to exit the QBL for the new competition while former QBL player and ...

Anyone able to open this article please? :)

Reply #741345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Any surprises after three rounds? The four teams that have come up from Big V have all been pretty competitive to this point.

Sabres look like they're in for a long year. Bendigo men (1-3) and Kilsyth women (1-3) have been disappointing so far.

Albury/Wodonga men (3-0) and Ringwood women (3-0) probably the surprise packets so far.

Overall standard looks really good and the presentation of the league has been outstanding. All clubs really trying to present a professional product. Lots of positives so far!

Reply #741370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Anon. Here is the last bit of the Cairns article.

"Last month, NBL CEO Jeremy Loeliger said a conference system across the second-tier leagues in Australia culminating in some sort of national championship was the long-term plan for NBL1.
"A conference system where we could have the NBL1 South, NBL1 North and so on has been discussed and we have talked to Basketball Australia about a national championship and how that could work as well," Loeliger said.
An ABA National Champion has not been crowned since 2008 and dual QBL championship winning coach Rodney Anderson is pleased about the prospect of it potentially returning.
“I'm excited about what the NBL1 could become in the future with a 'Champions League’ or a National Championship like the old ABA had back in the past,” Anderson said.
“I know our team we are pretty confident that we are the best State league team in the country the last few years but we would have loved to go and actually prove it on the court.”
Scott said Cairns Basketball is excited about the mooted reintroduction of an NBL1 National Championship in near future.
Tragardh is hopeful all winter basketball leagues fall under the NBL1 banner in the future."

Reply #741410 | Report this post

anon  
Last week

^^^ Thanks!

Reply #741440 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Last week

Can some create a ladder around the teams promoted into the league interested to see where they stand between themselves by the end of it all.

Eltham produce plenty of highlights for online contend, but the W/Ls don't look great.

Reply #741443 | Report this post

Cram  
Last week

Reasonably happy with the Tigers teams so far.

Both sides are pretty top heavy, and I can't see either in the mix to win the whole thing, but they'll win some games and be competitive.

Pozoglou is doing a great job for the men and has been consistently getting that 25-30 points. It seems when he gets help from anyone else the Tigers are a chance to win. For the women Conti and Tomlinson are obviously carrying the load, but Angeles has had some big games too and looks like she should be on a WNBL roster sooner rather than later.

Reply #741451 | Report this post

anon  
Last week

maybe if Conti and Tomlinson didnt take so many shots and they allowed more on their roster to shoot they may have a chance of winning a game or two. No team wins when only one or two take every shot. Turnovers are also hurting.

Reply #741456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Emmanuel Malou NBL?

Reply #741470 | Report this post

Cram  
Last week

"maybe if Conti and Tomlinson didnt take so many shots and they allowed more on their roster to shoot they may have a chance of winning a game or two. No team wins when only one or two take every shot. Turnovers are also hurting."

They simply don't have many other options. Its a very young team and they don't have a great deal of high end talent.

Reply #741474 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Last week

Emmanuel Malou NBL?

I can't see how this hasn't happened yet, I know he was pursing options overseas but this move to NBL1 (from a source) is a clear intent to make a NBL roster with the end goal a very realistic chance to get on an NBA roster.

The kid can play!

Reply #741478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Frankston lose to Bendigo 88-73.
They seriously need to reconsider their future with Andrew Harms, guy can't coach.

Reply #741786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

So a "shit" team losing to the Braves is a crisis?

Reply #741788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Yeah tied up at 1/2 time is a problem. Franga have serious issues for sure and keep your agenda outta here MoFu.

Reply #741794 | Report this post

Reply to this topic

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Red 14

Rules:You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets

Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Close ads
Westside Basketball Association
PickStar - The best place to book sports stars
Dunk.com.au - Custom basketball uniforms

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

Invoicing clients? Stay productive with Punch, the insightful time tracker that earns you more.

Special offer: $30/month Pay $100 for lifetime access. Sign up now!

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Mon 22 Apr 2019 | Posts: 768,746 | Last 7 days: 703