LC
Years ago

2019 WNBA Draft: Alanna Smith and Ezi Magbegor

With the WNBA Draft this week, Stanford senior Alanna Smith and Melbourne Boomers forward Ezi Magbegor look set to be selected in the first 15-20 picks, with Smith all but guaranteed to be selected in the first round.

The Pick and Roll takes a dive into their potential landing spots and what they have to offer whichever franchise does select them.

WNBA Draft: A look at Alanna Smith and Ezi Magbegor's prospects

Topic #45097 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

Nice wrap up. Good luck to both of them.

Just a note, at the bottom of your article you state the date as 11 March when it should be 11 April.

Reply #740897 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Live now on ESPN.

Reply #740972 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Smith goes to Phoenix with the #8 pick :D

Reply #740974 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - Sandy could not let her go past!

Reply #740976 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ezi Magbegor at #12 with Seattle!

Reply #740977 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that worked out perfectly with aussie going to my 2 fav teams :)

Reply #740978 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Great result for both to be first round picks and both to teams with plenty of history of Aussie connections. Well done to them both!

Reply #740979 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

100%

Reply #740982 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Such great news for both Alanna and Ezi!

Now awaiting news of where Liz would be playing. Is LA calling?

Reply #740985 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Apparently LA may use their 7th draft pick as a trade piece.

Reply #740988 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Lachy France managed to speak with Ezi Magbegor after being drafted today, as well as Storm head coach Dan Hughes. This is a great read well worth it.

Ezi Magbegor ready to carve out her own identity with the Seattle Storm

Hughes compares Ezi's maturity with that of a 19-year-old Penny Taylor.

Reply #740998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Aokuso has a strong wnbl season strarting for Townsville, I think she might get a wnba invite next season.
Mangakahia sitting at 12 on the 2020 mock draft. Could very well go up another couple of places looking at who's ahead of her.

Reply #740999 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like Liz Cambage on SBS TV tonight 8.30 pm 'The Feed'

Reply #741031 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As to whether Magbegor will be part of the roster immediately, Hughes remained non-committal, stating, "That's not been determined. We’ll discuss that, we’ll figure out what’s best for her."

Ezi has stated that she won't be going to Seattle this year. Which is probably the right call, because cracking a championship roster is far from a certainty for a raw youngster. Developing her game is a good idea - I just hope that playing for the Supercats doesn't compromise that development. I trust that in between beating up on weaker front court opponents she is doing plenty of individual work.

Reply #741036 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I would have thought teams could do a lot worse than snapping up Aokuso with a third round pick.

Reply #741119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's too old for the draft.

Reply #741120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not too old but wasn't eligible.

Reply #741121 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Was eligible for last year's draft, therefore no longer eligible to be drafted, but anyone is welcome to sign her as a free agent. I'm a little surprised that I haven't heard any chatter yet about a team being interested in her.

Reply #741123 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Saw the Liz Cambage spectacular ... WNBA in May , then Tokyo is mostly on her mind right now ..

Reply #741139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Ezi isn't beating up other front courts, in fact the opposite last outing. Zatina same story.

Ezi should have gone to college.

Reply #741148 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I reckon it's Coachella that is mostly on her mind right now but it's good to know that the WNBA and Tokyo are still on the list.

For anyone who missed it

Reply #741149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt anyone is interested.

Reply #741157 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Was disappointed that the Lynx passed on Smith but happy for both players and here's hoping they have good careers.

Reply #741159 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

"Ezi has stated that she won't be going to Seattle this year. Which is probably the right call, because cracking a championship roster is far from a certainty for a raw youngster. Developing her game is a good idea - I just hope that playing for the Supercats doesn't compromise that development. I trust that in between beating up on weaker front court opponents she is doing plenty of individual work. “

I wonder if the injury to Breanna Stewart will change things as far as Ezi goes. Seattle May want her on their roster this season now.

Reply #741366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont think that's possible. They will just sign another pf from somewhere else.
cant see Seattle going back to back now.

Reply #741368 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's a possibility that's worth looking at, but Ezi doesn't really fill the role left vacant by Stewie so I doubt they change their plans for her after this.
(I could see them giving Tokashiki a call though if she is healthy again. I assume they still own her rights and she is more a like-for-like player)

Reply #741373 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Saw Cambage again on ABC TV 'The Weeekly' and thought most interesting is the secret of who she is playing for in WNBA.
The main stream media are more interested in an Olympian saying 'White washed Australia'

Reply #742262 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Alanna Smith will play in Korea this summer

The WKBL held their annual foreign player draft on Tuesday, June 25th in Korea while it was still June 24th in the United States. This year, there were 95 applicants for 6 spots as each team gets a pick.

1. BNK Sum - Damiris Dantas
2. Shinhan Bank S-Birds – Alanna Smith
3. KEB-Hanabank – Myisha Hines-Allen
4. Woori Bank Wibee – Reshanda Gray
5. Samsung Life Blue Minx – Lynetta Kizer
6. KB Stars – Kayla Thornton

http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2019/06/2019-korean-league-draft/

Reply #748303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754