Joe
Years ago

Joe Tertzakian no long with Sixers

Either has quit or sacked and the word on the street, Joey Wright will be gone by Easter as well.

Appoint Steven Trigg = rabble

The Adelaide 36ers will finish bottom in the 2019/20 NBL season.

Topic #45120 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well Joey will be getting another payout then. Unlike most other NBL head coaches who avoid it he went to court and got ~$250K back in the day from Bullets/Groves.

Wow at this Sixers organisation for handing out an extremely long contract to a coach who has form taking ex-employers to court. There obviously is no planning even short-term at the club.

Reply #741503 | Report this post

Agent Oso  
Years ago

Hard to begrudge him taking someone to court if they breach a contract. Sure - if the Sixers decide they don't want him anymore and want to terminate his contract early they can pay him out, if they cant afford to do that then looks like they are stuck with him - or better start doing some negotiating!
In Gold Coast Joey was paid the final year of his deal in advance so he was covered if things went to crap, ended up being very shrewd decision making that happen when he signed on.

Reply #741504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever gave him a 5 year deal needs their head read. That's why you don't let owners who have little knowledge of basketball make those decisions. Absolutely ridiculous.

Reply #741507 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Better be some good news out of this administration/owner soon, not convinced about the move to the Entertainment Centre, I certainly won't be renewing until I see a schedule after last seasons debacle, cut and pasting the same six players over and over again is lazy and amateurish, like him or hate him, Joe T at least had personality around game day.

Reply #741508 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wow at this Sixers organisation for handing out an extremely long contract to a coach who has form taking ex-employers to court. There obviously is no planning even short-term at the club.

Isn't signing a coach long term thereby offering players stability in the knowledge who they are playing for considered planning?

Wright is a love him or hate him guy we get it. Put aside his prickly demeanor for a moment, you have a coach that has taken us to 2 GFs (within 1 game of winning it twice). He has been more successful than not in finding and dveloping talent. Why would locking up a coach with such credentials be considered bad?

OK if you believe the rumours, it seems something is going on behind the scenes, but this is Year 3 of the contract, many coaching contracts are 3 years (Andrew Gaze got 3 full years ffs).

Reply #741510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JOe is not leaving to go to another job either.

Reply #741511 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Off the top of my head poor decisions made by the current Sixers admin:

- Letting Randle go

- Giving Joey Wright a 5 year deal despite still having 1 year to go on his old contract which they mutually agreed to tear up for the new deal. He still has 3 years to run on that contract.

- Releasing Terrance Ferguson from his contract early which cost the club a $400K compo payment from OKC.

- Not re-signing Josh Childress.

- Perhaps reeling from that decision clamped down on Mitch Creek's NBA deal even going to the Supreme Court to stop it going through unless the $100K compo from Brooklyn was paid to the Sixers and not Creek's German team. He didn't make the team anyway so no money and lost a favourite son for life.

- Signing a washed up Adris Deleon last season and holding onto him for 9 games which saw the Sixers start the season 3-6, we missed the playoffs by percentage.

- The signing of Demitrius Conger who to be fair to the Sixers was worth gamble but he clearly didn't fit. The damage had already been done by holding onto Deleon too long.

- Turning their back on the only purpose-built basketball stadium in the league to go and play at the larger AEC despite the fact the Sixers usually don't get close to selling out games Adelaide Arena.

- Letting Nathan Sobey & Majok Deng leave without barely a whimper and picking up the option on Ramone Moore's contract for next season almost ensuring whoever we sign with our last import spot it will see us tumbling further down the ladder.

Reply #741512 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

- Letting Randle go

I understand Randle was making some incredible demands for money from what I read. If true, then I don't see it being a bad decision.

- Giving Joey Wright a 5 year deal despite still having 1 year to go on his old contract which they mutually agreed to tear up for the new deal.
Given his success to that point, was it that bad a decision?
First year of that contract we went to the GF.

- Releasing Terrance Ferguson from his contract early which cost the club a $400K compo payment from OKC.
Agreed....a right F up.

- Not re-signing Josh Childress.

Childress when fit and healthy is probably top 5 all time NBL imports. However he has a poor record of staying healthy and that ultimately cost us at the worst time of the year. Signing him was a gamble as is letting him go, that decision does have merit considering the above.

clamped down on Mitch Creek's NBA deal even going to the Supreme Court to stop it going through
One of the worst decisions in this club's history, was it really only over $100k?

Signing a washed up Adris Deleon last season and holding onto him for 9 games which saw the Sixers start the season 3-6, we missed the playoffs by percentage.
Agreed bad decision but I can see that they thought they could 'get by' when they already had Sobey and Moore. Very regrettable that even 1 more win in this period would have meant playoffs.

- Turning their back on the only purpose-built basketball stadium in the league to go and play at the larger AEC despite the fact the Sixers usually don't get close to selling out games Adelaide Arena.

This is another polarising gamble. If it pays off, can you imagine 9,000 seated sea of blue that is worth pursuing. But it needs to be backed up / followed up with GOOD decisions on the product. Simply having more seats doesn't mean more bums, you could be found right if the stadium is less than full more often than not.

- Letting Nathan Sobey & Majok Deng leave without barely a whimper and picking up the option on Ramone Moore's contract for next season almost ensuring whoever we sign with our last import spot it will see us tumbling further down the ladder.

Sobey and Deng wanted to leave. We can discuss the Sobey/Wright saga but he wanted to leave at the end of the day, we can't change that. Agreed picking up Moore's option seems like a mistake right now as we need a gun playmaker to go with a gun 5 (given Wiley is not 'gun').

Reply #741515 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Plus Joey walks, who's left? Good grief please please... not KB.

Reply #741517 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Given his success to that point, was it that bad a decision?
First year of that contract we went to the GF.

Who were they competing against Joey was already under contract at the time? Plus most head coach's get 2/3 year deals not 5 year deals. A lot can happen in the space of 5 years and as it turns out relations between he and the club hit rock bottom just 12 months later.

One of the worst decisions in this club's history, was it really only over $100k?

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/8/8/17663560/australian-team-wants-compensation-from-nets-before-letting-mitch-creek-go

Sobey and Deng wanted to leave. We can discuss the Sobey/Wright saga but he wanted to leave at the end of the day, we can't change that.

Sobey was willing to come back for 3 years if Joey wasn't there. Joey was still there so he signed with Brisbane. Now we're supposedly going to fire Joey a month later anyway. Dog's breakfast.

Reply #741518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either back Joey or sack him

Reply #741520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've mentioned a few times I heard but haven't seen it confirmed that even after Joey got the five years, the incoming owner gave him a payrise too on top of the existing deal. I can understand a five year deal for a good coach, but not many NBL teams can afford to ramp up salaries for the hell of it. An exception would be a club like Perth packing out a big stadium and winning finals with a drawcard like Cotton.

Tough position now. Get a stat-fiend PG. Play Wiley big minutes. Entertain the crowd, fight to avoid the spoon and then focus on the season after.

If they're in a difficult position with a coach, they aren't exactly going to be a convincing destination for choice free agents. Who's left?

x/Bruce
Moore/Adnam
Drmic/Teys
Wiley/Froling/Walker
Johnson/Bairstow

Reply #741521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signing a contract for wither a player or a coach is simply dumb.
Who knows what will happen in that period of time. Clearly the wheels are falling off.
AS everyone knows BIG Joe and Wright are joined at the hip. So how is it that he has been effectively sacked. I have known Joe (not that well) for many years and he always has a plan and somewhere to go. In this case no where to go. Most unusual for Biggie.
There is smoke and I am sure fire.
Moving to the new Arena and mis managing the ladies at the same time is simply poor management. They clearly have off loaded the women and moving to a larger venue will cost them a lot of money.
Their on court performances are sporadic and everyone wants a winner. New sponsors may be attracted to the new venue but who knows.
The future is in the new owners hands (LK) and they would want to get it right immediately.

Reply #741523 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

And i thought we were in trouble with Marty Clarke, at least he handed on a GF standard roster on to Joey.

Reply #741524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah clearly Clarke can coach. Maybe he should return ;)

Reply #741525 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Coach ? yes, just not very well, helped a GF standard roster to finish dead last :) ?

Reply #741527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe T did himself no favours so maybe try not to jump at shadows. Not a bad move...

Moving away from the Adelaide Arena, maybe study the business plans and reports from the so-called non profit Scouts before jumping at shadows again. Agree most loved the stadium but not a bad business move to leave, when the landlord has other plans.....

Sobey and Deng leaving. Loved their game but time to accept that people move for money and extra playing time. No different than in any other business... How many times have you been able to nominate your job role and salary and the company just agreed? Understandable business decision....

Joey is on holidays and having some off from basketball. Not a bad move, everyone needs a holiday and he will come back refreshed....

Limited and slow information from the club to fans and the general public in off season. Not a good performance so far .... and maybe this is the real issue for the 36ers this year. The club should know that regular communications help to build a relationship between then club and fans, which creates tolerance for problems in game day services and even team results. The 36ers front office should have realised that being proactive is vital, even in the off season, because when there is a communications void, other sources like all of us on Hoops move to fill that void through rumours and assumptions. Ultimately the club will suffer ........

Reply #741528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Joey is on holidays and having some off from basketball. Not a bad move, everyone needs a holiday and he will come back refreshed...."

What utter bollocks.
Joe said "For me, there is no plan moving forward yet. I just spent a few days at home in Brisbane with my mum and dad and now looking for new opportunities."

Reply #741531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What utter bollocks. BRISBANE HA HA

Reply #741532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ was gone a couple of weeks ago, no down time or holiday.

Reply #741533 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

So Sobey leaves because he doesn't want to play for Joey and now Joey himself will be given the boot?? This is a right royal cock-up if you'll excuse my French.

Reply #741539 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In Gold Coast Joey was paid the final year of his deal in advance so he was covered if things went to crap, ended up being very shrewd decision making that happen when he signed on.

I couldn't remember the exact details on the GC arrangement so thanks for posting it.

Reply #741541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joey fan but 5 years is a long time. Think he's done a great job with what he's been given. What was Sobey before he got here, Deng unproven out of college, same with Drmic. Creek became a better player and despite the hate, Teys has been a loyal servant of the club and played a good role over the years. Froling a great pickup and a few other role players. Been extremely hit and miss, despite faults Randle and Childress were great, but Ere and Deleon nothing short of woeful. Personally like the Moore signing, not the worst 3rd import in league, is versatile, could have got better than Wiley as our star big though and then gone after Trimble.
I would like Joey to stay but sometimes things just go on too long, need new direction. Not many like Pop that stay in the same job for extended periods. College coaches are constantly rebuilding so can bring in their guys every couple of years and mould them.
Still remember the Clarke years and those humiliations. But if a guy who's proven is out there that's succeeded with not much before maybe it's time to make switch. Hopefully the split can be amicable as can be possible. Always suspected when his daughter was heading off to college he would follow, now he will get a golden handshake on way out, maybe get paid to watch her for a couple of years and snag a position in an NBA team which do hold him in high regard.
As I said hopefully it's done right, but with the track record I can see it getting ugly. Don't think Joey will accept less than what he's owed and as shown with the Creek fiasco, the club are tightarses. With the move to the Ent Centre and rumours of new multi purpose stadium they need as much good publicity as possible. A known flashy player like Randle would be good for publicity and a name coach as well. Even Bairstow would be low risk high reward given the right price. Hopefully they don't go cheap route and go for KB, but keep him on for continuity, he can learn from someone else and maybe down the track get the gig.

Reply #741544 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Where's the love for KB. He had solid apprenticeship. Huge experience. Totally professional. Respected.

Reply #741546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #741547 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Best decision for the future of the brand.

In all honesty, the Sixers need to trim some of their old spectators to make room for $$$ spending new spectators. The move to AEC will achieve that regardless of what the old faithful think.

The biggest barrier to increasing the value of a nice seats is the person who wants to have absolute right over that seat because they sat in it last year. They are reluctant to accept demand price increases and therefore the club is stuck.

It can't increase price for some of the best seats in the house nor can it attract new buyers when they are stuck in corners or head banger seats either.

Reply #741548 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Who replaces Sobey and Deng?
Not looking good for next year unless they pull off a recruiting coup.

Reply #741550 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Where's the love for Marty Clarke. He had solid apprenticeship. Huge experience. Totally professional. Respected

Reply #741551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nobody knows exactly what's happening, and reading comments and speculation on here is entertainment.

Isaac, I think you’ll find that McVeigh is also signed for next 2 seasons.

Reply #741556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So alienate loyal fans who have been turning up for years for some yuppie that will probably not show up when his local pop are bar are sampling a new gin. Dumb!
Trim current spectators for new, great marketing plan genius.

Reply #741557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Very Old, Clarke easily worst coach in club history.

Reply #741562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Clarke may be worst coach in NBL history, makes Gaze look like Popovich.

Reply #741567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers the only club to have not announced anything but bad news.

Reply #741568 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Sixers the only club to have not announced anything but bad news."

What good news has Melbourne, Cairns, NZ and Wollongong released? If you say Deng signing at Cairns is good news and Moore, Wiley being signed is not good news then there is something wrong with you.

Reply #741575 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

#531, you are confusing Joe with Joey.

Joey is having a short break.
Joe was home in Brisbane and looking for new opportunities.

Reply #741576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes my error. Sorry.
Either way Big Joe didn't have his contract renewed.

Reply #741577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since free agency the Sixers have announced zero new signings....zero. They have however announced the loss of Sobey and Deng. Wiley and Moore were signed before free agency and I question whether this was now wise with the departure of Sobey/Deng. But that is off point.
Therefore I think it's a fair statement that the Sixers have only announced bad news to their membership so far. Add to that the departure of Joe T, the continuing rumours surrounding the coach, uncertainty for season ticket holders to the Ent. Centre,...... it's fair to say the 36ers need a good news story soon.

Reply #741581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been a 36ers fan since 1988.
Absolutely hate the way we are perceived by the public. Even non hoopers know how much of a basket case our club is, I am constantly defending the club and their actions but their communication with loyal fans is non existent, all I’ve heard this off season is negative. We lose great local talent but re-sign Teys for 2 years.

What a joke

Now I’m hearing Sobey wanted to stay if Joey was out. We let Sobey walk, now the rumours are Joey is out anyway.

Only we could fuck up this bad

Reply #741582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moore, Wiley being signed is not good news then there is something wrong with you.
I think there's an argument that after losing Sobey and potentially losing Froling, having Moore and Wiley locked in are risky moves. Wiley wasn't trusted with bulk minutes last season. Moore gets talked about like he's a third import when that was DeLeon last season. At least he's steady and somewhat versatile; I don't think he's a bad second import unless you're putting him up against Terrico or Kennedy.*

Wollongong aren't doing anything particularly exciting, but they did lock in their coach, a centre and poach a youngster from Perth. Better than nothing.

Anon - forgot about McVeigh. He finished the season well. Helps cover the loss of Deng a bit. For all his x-factoring from the arc, Deng averaged 0.6 3PM. McVeigh was 0.4.

*Thinking of second imports around the league, not many teams had home runs. Newbill wasn't brilliant, Wear/whoever not much, the non-Long NZ guys were very inconsistent, Conklin solid I suppose, Brisbane's non-Patterson guys patchy.

Reply #741590 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Hindsight Isaac. Moore and Wiley are still quality players. That is good news. The remaining import would be a point guarding covering for Sobey's lack of point guard abilities.

Majok played 12 minutes a game last season. McVeigh more than covers for him.

Every team has lost players and every team will gain players. Same as every year. People on here are acting like it is the first time it has ever happened and that it is only happening to the Sixers

Reply #741593 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

What's the significance of Joe Tertzakian?

Reply #741597 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Joe gets shit done.

Great glue guy with a wealth of knowledge. Does plenty of stuff behind the scenes that goes unheralded but keeps clubs going.

I genuinely hope Brisbane does the smart thing and gets him back on board, they could absolutely use him.

Reply #741602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe was "General Manager of Operations & Basketball " for the Sixers.

Reply #741604 | Report this post

Neb  
Years ago

@Ben

And what would they use Joe for in Brisbane. Great guy, but he isn't "needed".

Junior Albert is doing a stand up job with the team anyway.

Reply #741610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if the sixers are so badly organised, surely losing him wouldn't be that harmful. He would have had at lease some say in a lot of the debacles that have happened.

Reply #741611 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Losing Big Joe is a secondary thing.

The thing that impacts the team most is the club chose Wright over Sobey and 'reportedly' want Wright gone 2 weeks later.

I hope this is not true but there is smoke now, started with the Wortho 'fvckery' podcast.

Reply #741617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior is team manager. He isn't in operations. Having said that Joe is a great bloke but as a professional, not so much. Hence why sixers let him go

Reply #741618 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Brisbane could absolutely use Joe in an operations role (game night operations at the bare minimum). He's capable of extending himself beyond being a team manager :)

Reply #741629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing that I was always amused at with Big Joe was that he was always doing the hard yards that he didn't have to do as GM. On the floor set ups what ever.
It was as if he had to do it because the people he employed couldn't do it.
He did this where ever he was. Great commitment but a GM shouldn't be on the tools. Just sayin.

Reply #741648 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I remember when he went on a diet and even the commentary team were discussing it during a Fox game. Then a cameraman pans over to Joe in the sparse Blaze crowd chowing down on takeaway. Classic moment/great production work. But to his credit he did end up losing a lot of weight.

Reply #741649 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

exactly where sixers have f...ed up yet again. Big Joe was first one there and last to leave game day, encouraged volunteers to get involved, introduced special effects that hadn't been around before, attention to detail and always with a 'can do' attitude. Yes hip to hip with the Coach but surely the coach needs a GM he can rely on.

What do we have now? an administration with no idea about basketball evidenced by the screw ups, lack of communication, and general arrogant behaviour toward long standing members. Have you tried contacting the club recently and got a response pfft

Thank you to the anon suggesting long standing stalwart members make way for fly by nighters, jeez imagine that suggestion at the MCG .. idiot. Our hard earned dollars have supported the club through good and bad times! where the hell were you?

Saying that this club needs a good kick up the arse. Abandoning the Arena after thousands spent on female facilities, ( but wait the owner abandoning the females as well)

Imagine the money spent to upgrade the Arena, then you could have your air con and whatever else, will the government owned EC support community basketball, I don't think so.

Maybe WAFL is more appealing after all,

Reply #741651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last two anons have pointed out exactly why Big joe was let go. He thinks it's all about him. He is simply doing work that has been done before but making a big statement about it. It’s the job. The previous CEO was always out pre and post game doing game day set up. His GM title is just a title. Meant to prop up his ego and keep him happy. He was not the GM of the club.
Good guy. But not a club man. All about Big Joe

Reply #741660 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

For every Perth you need an Adelaide.

Reply #741661 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

660. Spot on. Never saw Daniel posting up one social media about setting up the stadium each week.

Reply #741672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But let's be fair Daniel isn’t all about look at me look at me all over socials

Reply #741673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can only imagine all that goes into game nights and Joe must work incredibly hard. He works for a sporting organisation with fans that feel ownership, athletes that want to see a personal touch and not be treated like a number.

Game nights have continued to improve dramatically, success on the court has been sustained and even improved from when he got there. Athletes you speak to speak so highly of Joe.

Sorry, I don't understand the issue with him posting on social media here and there. What is the costs of this activity vs the benefits to the organisation? Cost is ZERO and there are some benefits there around publicity, being transparent and letting fans know that for their money people are putting in efforts to give them a great game night experience. As a fan I like following it and feeling like I know Joe eventhough he probably barely knows my name.

I just don't see the issue. I wonder why you even care what someone you obviously have no interest in what this guy does on social media? Just want to be a hater maybe?

Reply #741676 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

So can anyone confirm that Joe Tertzakian has been sacked, and Steven Trigg now has that same position?

What I can confirm is that Steven Trigg and the new owner went to the same school on South Tce, so maybe Joe did not go to the right school?

I am still reeling over the fact that I have been 'offered' a seat at the AEC that is below the [court to/] eyeline of the 5 rows in front of me.
How am I supposed to see? isn't that an operations decision?
Who is the operations manager?

Reply #741678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly Big Joe didn't have his contract renewed. If you were a friend of his you would know that.

Reply #741679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly if you are not a friend of his you wouldn't know.

Reply #741684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So everyone now knows.

Reply #741689 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Steven Trigg. The club is now going to his usually plan of complete train wreck.

Reply #741696 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Whoever it is, they will need all the support they can get from the fan base including the purchase of 'like to like' season seating.

Reply #741722 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even though he was mediocre at the Crows all I can say about Triggy is he did hold the door open for me at a concert a few years back.

Reply #741730 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well thinkmove to EC been brilliant - so egg on face to all the doom sayers. Maybe 2020 will see people more positive. crowds numbers are great and if that reflects ongoing support then Maybe new year will see Sixers mature... more support more sponsorship...greater position to recruit and retain....
Glad those not renewing Sixers members kept their word. Place better off without deadwood wood. Vibe at games is great... plenty interested generated.

Reply #783326 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well thinkmove to EC been brilliant - so egg on face to all the doom sayers. Maybe 2020 will see people more positive. crowds numbers are great and if that reflects ongoing support then Maybe new year will see Sixers mature... more support more sponsorship...greater position to recruit and retain....
Glad those not renewing Sixers members kept their word. Place better off without deadwood wood. Vibe at games is great... plenty interested generated.

Reply #783327 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #783328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:27 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754