D2.0
Years ago

Aussies wHooping it up in the NZNBL

Rhys Vague's had a couple of big games for the Nelson Giants, and I'm actually surprised at some of the names I see mentioned.

Nick Kay has already been mentioned here.

McCarron, Blanchfield, and Weeks are all playing for the Sharks, whilst Vague has been joined at the Giants by Grida and also Jett.

So first question, I thought Aussies were restricted in the NZNBL? (With special concession given to the Huskies)
Have those restrictions been relaxed?
Or are they simply allowed 3 "imports"? In which case I'm still surprised that they would take guys like Vague, Grida, and Weeks??

With the demise of the SEABL, Has the NZNBL become the off-season destination of choice?

Is Vague that good, or is the league just that poor?

Topic #45133 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was going to ask is ten points in Nznbl five points in the Nbl, Venky jois is killing it in NzNbl

Reply #741909 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I mean, naturally its a lower standard, but how much lower?

Vague played in the SEABL last off-season and was good without being wonderful.

If the standard is low enouch that guys like Vague, Grida, and Jois can kill it,
then why are guys like Kay & McCarron bothering?

On the other hand, I read many posts talking it up, suggesting its not that far below (A)NBL level.

Or is it just an Easy option for Aussies that don't want to be hassled with the complexities of playing in Europe or Asia?

Reply #741916 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

No doubt that NZ league is the number one winter league now.

Especially, with BA/BV choosing to kill off SEABL, rather than look to build on it's existing strength, and to replace it with the weaker nbl1/state leagues set up.

Short sighted, selfish and stupid.

Well, at we an Aussie team in the nznbl to follow.

Reply #741918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon and Naar are at the Rams too.

Reply #741922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies don't have special rules, actually the rules go against them as Australian players like Moller is an import while nz players are not imports. Moller also had 27, 17 &3 the other night. Wellington smashed huskies in second game, partly due to tiredness but also that Wellington are stacked with breakers, nz internationals and Nick Kay as there import. Southland have three quality Australian imports, McCarron, Blanchfield, Weeks plus also Pledger. Every other team is playing for minor places.

Reply #741924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies don't have special rules, actually the rules go against them as Australian players like Moller is an import while nz players are not imports. Moller also had 27, 17 &3 the other night. Wellington smashed huskies in second game, partly due to tiredness but also that Wellington are stacked with breakers, nz internationals and Nick Kay as there import. Southland have three quality Australian imports, McCarron, Blanchfield, Weeks plus also Pledger. Every other team is playing for minor places.

Reply #741925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money of offer for a 3 months season is massive.
Seabl is nothing in terms of money compared to the NZBL.

Reply #741932 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

What anon said. Have been told appeal is defs shorter season / bigger coin compared to Aus State Leagues - why wouldn't ya if you wanted to maintain a comfort level and not travel to a foreign country.

Reply #741944 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Huskies don't have special rules, actually the rules go against them"

Huskies do have special rules,otherwise they wouldn't be able to field a team. (Unless they hire a bunch of kiwis)

For the Huskies only, eligibility (under FIBA criteria) is extended to Australians.
For NBL players, that is subject to a limit of 7.5 minutes average game time. Those averaging more than that are classed as restricted.

So its weird, Vague could play for the Huskies as unrestricted, but for the Giants he's classed as an import.

Reply #741952 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is the title in reference to that weirdo NZ commentator when the Breakers first started playing NBL who had lines such as: "Whooping it up in the Waitakere"? He might as well have been speaking in another language.

Reply #741985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague would have to play less than 7.5 minutes for Perth (don't know what his time was) or he’s an import for huskies.

Reply #741987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague played 8.1 min pg. IMPORT. The 7.5 mpg is a joke. Those with less than 7.5 min pg are generally chumps. The rule used to be 12min pg.
Since moving to the LK era many things most people didn't even know about have changed. This is one of them. A stupid mpg based on a guess.

Reply #742002 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Depends on which set of stats you look at. I think if you count the finals he averaged around 7.4 over the whole season?? I don't know which they would actually count.

What rule "used to be 12 minutes"?
This a unique rule for the Huskies. Sure, they're the chumps of the (A)NBL, that's the point.
They've given the Huskies a concession to allow them to field a team of Australians, but obviously they don't want to see it stacked with NBL champs.

Reply #742007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies can't stack team with nbl players but Wellington can stack their team with nz nbl players and internationals plus Kay as an import.
Most nznbl teams are going towards Australian imports, staying away from Americans. You no what you get, lot Americans are high on offence but defensively is not a strong point.

Reply #742011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you are still an idiot.
The 12min rule applied to NBL players for entry into competitions in the SEABL.
Over 12 minutes and you would be an import. Much fairer for all.
The NZBL have invented a rule to ensure that anyone over 7.5 minutes was an import.

Reply #742016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#016 exactly makes it hard on the huskies, all good nbl players are imports, where nz players who play in the Australian nbl are not. The 12 minute rule would have been a lot fairer.

Reply #742017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754