Bigman
Years ago

Easter classics

I'm aware that quite a few players were not playing in Norwood Div 1 Under 16 team in the Norwood Easter Classic but it was disappointing to go all that way to play good Melbourne teams from home, when the Norwood team didn’t live up to anything.

Topic #45144 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get used to it Bigman, I'm assuming you mean boys side because all the girls teams are ordinary now. Been waiting for the usual easter post about there's way more interstate teams than Adelaide teams every year. Wonder if there'll ever be the day where a couple clubs get together and run a rebel easter classic, promote it to Melbourne teams you'll actually have variety. A north, forestville and sturt coalition would be worth it but doubt clubs could ever come together.

Reply #742182 | Report this post

Black_red  
Years ago

My family always enjoys the trip over to Adelaide but can someone shed some light as to why more SA teams don't support the Easter Classic? Seems like a good opportunity for local teams to get some exposure against interstate teams without having to travel? I saw teams even from WA and Singapore come out.

I assume Norwood had to put up as many teams as possible and could see that some teams had as little as 5-6 players in each grade. If you look at the scores some of them were still very competitive.

We will come again next year but if you have concerns hold off registering until you know who is playing.

Reply #742185 | Report this post

VicBallCoach  
Years ago

It's a real shame the SA teams all can’t work together... so many decent venues within 30 minutes, great time of year, competitive teams in the state... could be a brilliant tournament but I see no reason to keep coming back to play the same teams we play every Friday night.

Add to that the poor allocation of teams to grades...

Shows just how far ahead Victoria is...

Reply #742187 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Would be good to see more SA teams involved, obviously differences or jelously toward Norwood hosting the carnival plays a big part. Get over it and support it, great opportunity to play some Vic teams. The u18 boys championship pool was very competitive and tough with Waverly just pipping a determined Norwood by 7 points in an exciting final

Reply #742188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The u18 boys championship pool was the weakest I've ever seen it. The clash with Nationals, plus the fact that the good Vic teams have not supported the tournament for years, weakens the competition dramatically.

Junior, you're obviously a Norwood person. Well done to your team on making the GF, but if you think that was tough, you must be new to basketball.

Reply #742190 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

When i say tough i mean really competitive. Yes the clash with nationals not ideal, yes not as tough as Classics but all of the 6 teams in that pool played really good Basketball and all were very even. Pity more SA teams didn't get involved

Reply #742192 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

OP,
Unfortunately the SA under 16 State Team nominated in the U18 pool so the 4 Norwood U16 State players played there, hence a weaker Norwood 16 team

Reply #742193 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Junior - in the U16 Norwood team there were players who recently went away with BSA on a tournament, Surely in a club as big as Norwood there are other good players to fill in, in Div 1?

Reply #742194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior, OP is aware of that.

Reply #742196 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did anyone watch the SA under 16 state teams play? How did both boys and girls go?

Reply #742198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easter is a time when many families take the opportunity to get together at home or away. A 4 day weekend happens only once a year and no preparation other than if you choose to have fish on friday, easter eggs on sunday or attend church services, some stay home to have 4 days completing projects around their homes and others have annual trips away with the last of the good weather before Winter. And players who are christians and there are many who miss their services and youth groups due to training and games go to youth camps. It is likely a simple answer as to why SA basketball families choose to have this time away from a sport that takes so much from families as a whole all year round. Easter is like Christmas a time for family and friends. Many also already lose 2 long weekends to travel to Melbourne. Time is precious for families and it is okay for them to not play a carnival at Easter and there should be no discussion criticising them for it. Maybe an Easter carnival is a bad idea and if others are not happy maybe don't waste your money and spend time with your own family and leave others alone to choose what is right for them. SA is a small state and expectations are too high. If you want to play SA teams you can go to Mildura in June, Gawler in January, Murray Bridge in October, Woodville in December and Port Adelaide in June. There are other options with all on an alternate 3 day long weekend and others in school holidays.

Reply #742208 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

i thought the carnival was really good - plenty of games against new teams - having played and not played some Easters i see both sides of the argument to have it off or play.

Reply #742209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood don't tend to play well with the other clubs at president or board level

Very fairly attending anything put on by BSA or basketball adelaide (BA), actually no longer part of BA , the only club to vote NO to the pioneers joining on the second vote and typically hard to deal with

This may have a flow in effect with adelaide clubs supporting their tournament

Just a thought

Reply #742211 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

More for Melbourne people as this question comes up every year.
As said above, for a number of reasons a number of clubs give this tournament no emphasis, as in it's not even discussed.
I’ll avoid the inter club politics and religious components as well covered.
If you look at u18s as one example, load has a huge impact.
Factors such as:
Eltham
Nationals
Doubling up at either YL or PL/reserves plus u18
State champs in a few weeks
Classics a few weeks after SC

While the high end talent is there at u18 level, the clubs just don’t run as deep as across the border.

It would be great to have an inclusive well supported SA tournament, but for many, it’s a timing and load issue.

Reply #742220 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lack of local clubs supporting the Easter carnival Is a direct result of Norwood's involvement. Another club had it then it would be supported in greater numbers.

Reply #742290 | Report this post

inside  
Years ago

new club president at Norwood and younger management will see huge improvement in 2020.

stay tuned , this tournament is well overdue for a significant improvement.
the relationships with other SA clubs are improving

Reply #750794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos in

Reply #750802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of clubs compete head to head with Norwood over this tournament!!!

Reply #750812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webber the president now too?

Reply #750814 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

dropping the team registration price should be the first point of business..

don't do that then the relationship with other SA Clubs is NOT improving

Reply #750820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just another Webber as president, cant make it too obvious. Interesting that the vice president and secretary are 1 and the same, I thought the rules were you could only hold one position at a time.
If North were smart and teamed up with a couple other clubs then they could take that tournament time easily.

Reply #750823 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can see North with Lightview up and running making a big play for an Easter tournament especially if as above they price it more in line with the Bearcats Carnival.

Reply #750825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how early Norwood has to book stadiums and is there some loyalty with them, ie wayville, Pasadena etc. Could a consortium of Sturt, Forestville, Centrals for example get together (Yes I know the politics on all sides but Norwood the common enemy for most) and advertise early. Pretty sure a lot of Victorian teams are getting sick of small field of sa teams, if they knew they were guaranteed to go up against 4 clubs instead of one they probably would be swayed. Consumerism at its best, go from a tournament where you play the same teams where you're from to going against variety.

Reply #750861 | Report this post

Tigerland  
Years ago

I know a few of the private academies and also some of the clubs in WA are also looking at venturing to SA as of next year as it's seen as a great hit out for them just two weeks out from when the season starts over here. Would be great to get a tournament which is supported by and attended by most of the SA and VIC clubs too

Reply #750879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754