LC
Years ago

Broekhoff rules himself out of World Cup

He will not play for the Boomers in 2019, instead choosing to support his wife and newborn baby boy.

Ryan Broekhoff rules himself out of World Cup

Topic #45237 | Report this topic

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This article was out earlier today and spoke about some possible replacements. What do people think about maybe Blanchfield or Gliddon?

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/ryan-broekhoff-is-out-how-do-the-australian-boomers-replace-his-shooting-at-the-world-cup/?fbclid=IwAR3Z0q0wElykuGp5b5492Qq4POjN3dkMtfv1__J97m-ZSe7NdAwp2DxaLx8

Reply #744239 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

inb4 "old news"

Reply #744242 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Deng Adel is more likely the beneficiary rather than Blanchfield or even Goulding due to Broekhoff not being there.

Reply #744243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointed because he was one of my favorite players at the 2014 world cup. All the best to him and his family.

As much as i hate Goulding, I'd have him over Blanchfield/Gliddon. He's streaky but can light it up and provides some spark which can be good for an 11/12th man type role.

I'd actually like to see Josh Green snag one of the last roster spots.

Lets be honest though, Lemanis is choosing Cadee.

Reply #744244 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Green is recovering from a shoulder injury ATM. While he would be fit by August, he is still young and has plenty of time ahead of him.

Reply #744245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This sucks, happy for him and his wife but I just wish that once we could put together our best squad. Our best shooter gone...

Reply #744247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now, I think the team is...

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Maker
Baynes

Dellavedova
Sobey, Mccarron or Goulding.
Creek
Bolden
Bogut

Adel
Cooks or Motum

Broekhoff and Exum out.

Reply #744248 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

More pick and roll spam...

Reply #744249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, relax on who had the story first. Andrej said it in his presser yesterday before anyone had it.

Reply #744251 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Simmons. Dellavedova.
Mills.
Ingles. Adel
Maker/Bolden/Motum
Baynes. Bogut.

2 spots remaining to pick from Creek, Cooks, Goulding and Gliddon.

Not sure who will start at PF.
Landale also on the cusp of selection imo.

Reply #744262 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

It's a huge shame Rowdy won't be available. Would have been the ideal guy in a line up with playmakers like Simmons, Ingles and Delly. Will be interesting to see who they go with!

Although it isn't like for like, I'd really like to see Landale selected if they can squeeze him in! A great pick and roll/pick and pop guy who could really work well with Simmons and Delly etc with shooters spacing the floor.

Reply #744263 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Stop putting Maker as a starter. The bloke should probably not even be on the team...

Reply #744265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Baller#3 he is in the NBA

Reply #744266 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I actually like the inclusion of David Barlow that i read in one of those articles. Good combo of shooting, size and versatility, and a *similar* (if not half as good) version of Rowdy.

What about Madgen? Is he still in the mix. Haven't been following his career, but if we're looking for shooting.

Reply #744269 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Also, hate on Maker all you want, but he's a pretty elite rim protector, and a definite inclusion.

Reply #744270 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Tough decision for the guy.

I often appalled at how pussy-whipped some guys are, declining "once in a lifetime" opportunities, because their partner "might" go into labour...
But in this case it seems his wife has serious health-issues and there are real concerns for her and the baby.

Hope everything goes well for them. Thoughts & Prayers.
Hopefully both will be able to watch him medal at the next Olympics.

Reply #744309 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Maker will be in the team but I don't think he'll have a major role. He will probably come in, use his length on defense, play spurts against a shorter player in the position, stifle him then take to the bench again.

Reply #744310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks over motum for me. Motum can only play pf. We already have 4-5 guys who can play as a pf. Cooks is much more versatile and in great form and can also switch out on smaller guys.

Reply #744311 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Definitely disappointing but understandable that he's out.

I honestly think there's a few positions in the Boomers team that are really wide open.

I'd say the only locks (if healthy & available) are Simmons, Mills, Delly, Baynes, Bogut and Ingles. Rowdy would have been the 7th lock for mine.

After that there's a bunch of guys who are in with a chance, and since many have played in teams and leagues we don't see much, it may be a case of waiting to see them at camp.

Creek, Maker, Bolden, Cooks, Goulding, Landale, Adel, Motum and Sobey would all consider themselves a good chance. A few other guys like McCarron, Gliddon, Mathiang and Kay would all be in with a shout too. Then there's Cadee....

I honestly think this is the most wide open the bottom 6 has been in a while.

Reply #744313 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Think you can rule out Kay and Mathiang for the moment. Pretty set on inside bangers with Baynes and Bogut. Actually a little light (and weak) on the guards side at the moment. Will be interesting to see who they go with.

Reply #744315 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The guards are going to be interesting for sure. We have a number of guys in the locks who play PG (at least nominally) with Simmons, Delly and Patty. But they'll likely often play a lot together. Do we need another for injury/foul trouble? Also in consideration is how good Ingles is as a ball handler.

As far as shooters, I think both Sobey and Goulding are a good chance. At least one you'd think.

Reply #744316 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Boomers Bench:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Bullets#Current_roster

Reply #744317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matur deserve a camp,spot?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0O8Hx_t72k#fauxfullscreen

Reply #744326 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Matur Maker is not ready yet.

Reply #744341 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I rate the loss of Broekhoff as a massive loss to the team, even more so with Simmons committed to the team. He is exactly the kind of player to complement lineups including Simmons. It's tough losing our best perimeter shooter -- yes, I'd say he is still more reliable than Ingles at international level. If you go by position, you might replace him with Creek or Adel, but I'd consider replacing him by role.

Reply #744346 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

D2.0

"I (am) often appalled at how pussy-whipped some guys are, declining "once in a lifetime" opportunities, because their partner "might" go into labour...
But in this case it seems his wife has serious health-issues and there are real concerns for her and the baby."

This is, potentially, a new low even by your standards.

Paternity leave provisions are very common now, and it's generally recognised in HR circles that employees with work-life balance are more content, and more productive, in their jobs.

Yes, you acknowledged health risks in this case, but every pregnancy carries risks. I’m glad that impending fathers are now encouraged to take more extended paternity leave. I just wish I’d had the chance for more time immediately post baby with my 2 kids (born at 30 weeks/ 1420 gm and 26 weeks/ 669 gm). I had to use long service leave with my second, and try to fit everything in around work with my first.

Reply #744508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure if Dazz has family but he is a well known forum troll.
I like many others here have wife and kids and career.
I'm in no way "pussy whipped" but I will always put my wife before my job.

Reply #744511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754