Anonymous
Years ago

NBL 1 league

Just witnessed the NBL 1 women's game at Geelong and the treatment of the players by the DV coach.. it’s no wonder they are on a major loosing streak. Wow if that club retains that coach they’re in real trouble!

Topic #45251 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there any imports you can see playing in the nbl as a cheap player

Reply #744520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you knew that coach you wouldn't expect much better...and NBL1 is a very diluted league far below the level of SEABL.

Reply #744524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach is Dave Herbert right? No surprise....

Reply #744529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Herbert coaches Geelong ya Wally,and with reasonable success you would think

Reply #744531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than seabl easy....
Next year the whole country will be nb1 most likely.

Reply #744532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl1 is Waratah league level it's so diluted.

Reply #744534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put it in the right topic, don't start another one please.

Reply #744535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert is OK. Yes he has a very good team by NBL1 standards but at least he is not failing them like some wnbl coaches with super rosters did. Geelong could in fact be a contender in wnbl with a good point guard and shooting guard.

Reply #744538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, nbl1 is not Waratah league level. It's easily number 1.

Qbl 2, sa premier league 3, Waratah league 4, then sbl.

Reply #744540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top QBL clubs would crush NBL1 teams

Reply #744541 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

QBL people always come on here saying how strong the league is, i just see teams paying 3 guys a ton of money, surrounding them with maybe 3 barely competent role players, then filling the rest of the roster with Big V youth league standard players.

Does it make the league stronger because the top 10-15 guys in the league may on paper look better than the top 10-15 from NBL1, when players 30 onwards in the league would struggle to be in a rotation of most NBL1 teams?

Reply #744542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gold coast, brisbane, mackay, rocky would crush any NBL1 team

Reply #744544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, not a clue.

Reply #744547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for arguments sake lets say the imports are on par

NBL1 best aus guys:
adam doyle
kuany kuany
pozoglou
dave barlow
pineau
sam froling

QBL best aus guys:
cadee
petrie
rhys martin
magnay
shaun bruce
ogilvy
all the DPs from cairns

The list goes on and on, while i believe the QBL bottom half is weaker, the top half would definitely be a better standard than NBL1

Reply #744548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone explain how Bozeman averages 32 in QBL then 18 in NBL1, if its a weaker league?

Reply #744552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL guys names are past it. Outstanding NBL players a long time ago and still happy to play local ball at a good level. Who really cares anyways.

Reply #744553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol eastern states always under-estimating the SBL. It's no where near as weak as people think. I've played in nearly every state and Waratah and Big V are both weaker competitions. Yes, I'm aware there will be plenty of people who automatically disregard my comment but it's true.

Reply #744563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't put big v on the list, its 3rd tier.

These days it goes like this...

Programs
State senior comps/junior comps

1 Vic - rising
2 Qld - rising
3 Nsw -sliding
4 Sa - plateau
5 Tas - rising
6 Wa - sliding
7 Act - rising
8 Nt - rising

Reply #744564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the person means Johnathon Goodman looks like a bit of a loser!

Reply #744567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the person means Johnathon Goodman looks like a bit of a loser!

Reply #744569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why, how many games has he won? Diamond valleys a proud club! Knox Dandenong bulleen Sandringham etc, all good clubs.

Reply #744570 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

head coach for DV women, lol
How he gets these gigs is a mystery but he does
He needs to take up tennis and leave basketball alone

Reply #744572 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Can someone explain how Bozeman averages 32 in QBL then 18 in NBL1, if its a weaker league?

QBL is an upgraded domestic comp really , it has one or two players per team that would be "ok “in an NBL1 team the rest would struggle to make a Bigv D2 so when you see players getting big numbers in QBL it's usually because they are the best on that particular team

Now saying that , the same happens in the NBL1 as well in the lower teams, when you have one player jacking up all the shots but still shooting at a poor percentage but makes double digit scores every week , it’s not because they are an “outstanding" player it’s because they are the only ones shooting the ball for that team

Lot more to playing basketball that scoring

Reply #744574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon re head coach DV, I think you're right.

Reply #744580 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Please do not insult NBL1 and compare it as at the same level to Waratah League.
NSW Waratah League is the lowest of levels of basketball compared to other states top level leagues and would not compete against NBL1 teams.

Reply #744586 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

Bozeman also averaged 30 in Div 1 Men Big V when he played for Bulleen, then went up to QBL and averaged more.

But people are suggesting 2 tiers above Div 1, is worse than QBL?

Reply #744587 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

What did the DV coach do?

Reply #744674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn when you listed the 2 lists of star players from the leagues that really hurt the NBL1 super fans! That was a quick shift to the "bench players" and rotations haha

Last year's QBL champs consisted of

Josh Wilcher (overseas pro)
Peter Crawford (ex NBL 300 games, Olympian)
Jordair Jett
Harry Froling
Justin Baker (top tier QBL import)

They would obliterate any NBL1 club. Not even close

Reply #744678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please!!! We all think our league is the best but to judge other state leagues, get a clue first.
Not saying QBL is the best but to rubbish it like (some of the) above comments is just dumb. Go tell Cadee, AJ, Coeenraad, Gibson that they are playing in a backyard league. Last season QBL actually featured more NBL players than even SEABL.
And as for Bozeman, being great in QBL but not so good in NBL1 means that is QBL not as good as NBL 1? Kendle and Nightingale both came from MVP seasons in SEABL to QBL and both were (are, in Nightingale's case) just about ok in QBL. Means nothing, in terms of leagues' standards.

Reply #744684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will all be nbl1 soon regardless of how good they are.

No doubt the top teams from around aus will come together and face off.

Maybe
1 wa, 1 sa, 2 qld, 2 nsw/act, 2 vic/act will make up a small tournament going after national nbl1 title.

Reply #744688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic/tas*

Reply #744689 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

A league can't be judged by the individual performance/numbers of a select few players.
Boseman would have a different role this year and, I haven't studied the stats, I assume his shots/game are down on last year. He is surrounded by some pretty decent players in Iggy, import, Majok and now Trist who all would need shots as well.
Similar with Kendle, different team = different role.
You see the same thing when players switch teams in the same league, they don't always have the same role and therefore numbers.
I think we would find that the top teams in QBL/SBL would have a starting five that would compete with the NBL1 teams but the depth wouldn't be there.
BigV CM top teams would also compete in NBL1. McKinnon would compete and beat teams like DV, Eltham, Ringwood, Sandringham and Knox

Reply #744713 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

James, you'll have to ask the players, or maybe not!
Nasty piece of work!

Reply #744787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A poor display of coaching by the diamond valley nbl girls coach just handed the COE their first win. How long can that club tolerate this loser?
Bottom of the ladder.
If they want to win he has to go.

Reply #745129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I wonder where they dig up these dinosaur coaches,

Reply #745132 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Goodman - former assistant at Bendigo WNBL, was the head coach of Hawthorn and also did some gigs with Country Vic while in Bendigo.

Seems to be running his reputation a little thin with this DV Gig

Reply #745649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has the players but can't win a game!

Reply #745751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will never win a game with Meg Crupi running the starting PG spot. Their 1 game they won was the COE early season. They played COE last week. They have not improved since.

Reply #745799 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

^
They won't win games when they only rely on one player either , basketball is supposed to be a "team “ sport

Reply #745825 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I am sure DV are not paying as much as Huskies to keep on losing.

Reply #745827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#5825 Does that not fall on the coach for recruiting a poor team?

Reply #745871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may fall to the board who allows this to continue!
Obviously the coach doesn't care!

Reply #745879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You only have to look at the stats in games played and that tells you something is majorly wrong eg 30min = 3points.
I agree not sure if the coach is interested!!

Reply #745880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman is wrecking that club

Reply #745882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman is wrecking the club... are you serious?
3 coaches in 3 years. the year before they left for SEABL they were in the bottom 3 on Big V.

Reply #745887 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Now in his mid-twenties, Malou finds himself playing NBL1 with the Albury-Wodonga Bandits where Australian coaches and fans can finally get a consistent look at his game in a level of competition where his play can be more easily compared to others.

Can Emmanuel Malou make the leap?

Reply #745889 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Goodman is wrecking the club... are you serious?
3 coaches in 3 years. the year before they left for SEABL they were in the bottom 3 on Big V.

Which means they need to look further into their club admins, is Mc Aughtry still overseeing that clubs player development ?

Reply #745935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meg Crupi will continue to get a starting 5 gig as long as her father is chairman of the program and a major sponsor. seems like money buys a spot in the team. and goodman is apparently now ceo of dv, so he isnt going anywhere fast

Reply #746128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Ross Wignall?

Reply #746129 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Where has Ross gone??

they kept that silent. Goodman sliding into the top job.

McAughthy is still there and will be for a long time I would think, even when he left that kept his role open for him, what i understand does a pretty good job down there.

Reply #746144 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

LC - the article is good.

I think we need more of this around the NBL1 league. SEABL didn't promote well enough or have the social media reach that this new league is producing and has the potential to produce

Reply #746145 | Report this post

Here is the problem with the DV team and the way they are being coached.firstly, body language is an amazing thing, coach Goodman watch the video and look at the way you carry yourself, your body language and your negativity has rubbed off on your players in the worst way possible and that is in "confidence". you lead them and your frustration in the things that they are not doing for you is showing, go back to basics but first fix your body language, teach them, mentor them, coach them and stop getting angry at them as your losing them.

Irrespective of the who plays and who doesn't what needs to happen is you the coach needs to go back to basics, the offence is not fluent with the cattle you have go back and run a more motion spread the floor offence (watch the games)and look at how many 0 pass offence and 1 or 2 pass offence you have to score a lot as I see it and is causing you grief, turnovers, bad decision making and lack of control in offence.

Implement a motion with cuts away screens and dribble penetration with you bigs staying low and let them show you what they can do. ( you have the talent to do this) stretch your offence in more ways than just spreading the floor, implement a 3 to 4 pass offense motion with movement and allow your players the chance to make a better decision instead of rushed ones.

The defensive efforts are terrible you need to go back to basics in communicating. make it easy for them Jonno (help left- help right) (screen left- screen right) work on your defence if you can't score mate at least work hard to stop the opposition from scoring and run the ball in transition. From what I see and possible everyone they have some potential and IQ but need to just play a more spread game not two high post rubbish.

Leave your bigs low as much as possible let Anneli and the other players attack with low post options at least that way they can rebound the ball more and score easier.

For god sake man get rid of the press they scored every time against you, don't press to steal the ball just contain to make your opposition have only sub 16 seconds to play offence, surely your team can deny, work together and commit to defence for 16 seconds each time down the court.

Take the break to start afresh on yourself and the way you are perceived by your player's Coach, you are the leaders of the team you need to make them believe in you, follow you and commit for you at the moment the look diss engaged and confused with not only what they are doing but how you are presenting yourself.

take this advice or not but it is the truth, so when you come back from the break, play a brand of basketball that is upbeat and exciting and rewarding for your players, make them look at you and see that you want to make them better and you want them to win.

Your team has potential if you play this brand of basketball and you show that you can help them not hinder them.

Watch yourself on the video first, not the game, then watch the game, then try what I suggest and let's see how you go when you come back from the break. you have a great smart core group who can run and penetrate off the dribble they need you help coach, not a hindrance.

Reply #746226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dr coach lol

As if Goodman will change , he's coached this way forever, and if he’s now head honcho and running the daughter of the chairman and major supporter like he does, he’s not going anywhere.

Reply #746243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did any of us function in this sport without the great advice found on hoops.com.au? It is such a great time to be alive.

Reply #746244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong both Anons? Don’t believe saying something constructive helps? and what’s wrong with hoops forum to put forward a few solid ideas, don’t worry if I had his number I would call him and help him. Let’s just see if he takes my advice. Irrespective about the president and the daughter it’s the game plan and body language, Anon you shouldn’t bring outside the line comments into the forum unless you want to get onto the board meg CRUPI is not the issue the kid is trying to play like the others so leave individual players out of it and focus on the coaches game plan, body language and a suggestion to help him get a win along with building the team moral. Coach Jonno has the ability to coach as he just needs to work on his game.

Reply #746245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because any coach with any integrity is going to take advice from an anonymous troll on a public forum. Yeah nice one.

Reply #746248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Anon what you saying is that I am wrong or what I am saying is full of shit ideas? Obviously your basketball Briain is not working only you personal gripe is??? Maybe read what I am saying about basketball not the board room or the Admin. Why wouldn't someone take advice if it was correct and worth thinking about. Who are you to judge anyone as a troll, I haven’t seen any positive input from you yet what are your ideas, plan, feedback. BTW I just made up all the basketball suggestions as I have no idea what I am talking about I just wrote that with know validation no looking at game tape and definitely no experience just being a "troll". Totally excited about what you have to help.

Reply #746252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line is either change the game plan, change the way the coach is, or change the coach, because you can't replace the team.
Point in Fact (Bolton).

Reply #746253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes these non coaches irl have no idea what it is to coach Z grade let alone at a higher level. If you are indeed a coach put your name to it.

Reply #746254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does it matter what a name is, seriously it's the content that matters, but you keep missing that point you super spectator you..

Reply #746255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Provide some coaching feedback, challenge yourself.

Reply #746256 | Report this post

Guys, it's all good feedback just trying to help a coach in need of some help. Let’s just see if the message gets through.
Oh and Anon? Have coached a bit no need for names my summary speaks volumes.

Reply #746258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt John is trawling through Hoops looking for constructive coaching tips for his team :( smh

Reply #746261 | Report this post

Oh I think he, is to much talk not to be notice or be made aware if it.
Anyone want to provide some constructive ideas to help feel free.

Reply #746262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha

Reply #746263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing I always check here to find out how I am coaching each week...

Reply #746288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your summary speaks volumes of nothingness.

Reply #746293 | Report this post

Glad you look here for good experienced information on how to coach Anon or is that you coach Goodman? who says he wouldn't look here to see how to Coach next week? Either way happy to help let me know if I can assist you more in the future and enjoy watching the games and providing great feedback.

Reply #746294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Self praise is not an endorsement

Reply #746299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks to the poor coaches dv women nbl1 we got a W .
Kristy harrower beaten by a 13yr old nbl1 came from diamond valley, so the rot continues. Diamond valley women's cemented on the bottom of the ladder.
When teams are losing the coaches look at the players, but who looks at the coaches?
Only in the AFL!

Reply #748129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea what that rant is meant to mean.

Reply #748130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 5 players in nbl1 so far? Men's and Women’s?

Reply #748383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dufelmeieir. Adams from Hobart.

Reply #748388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellie Collins Hobart

Reply #748389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Short at Ballarat, great season leading team around the floor, plays good D as well.

Reply #748390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754