Anonymous
Years ago

Cairns

They have got to be naming some more signings soon surely?

Anyone heard anything at all?

Topic #45280 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess if they did know there would be a topic already?

Reply #745414 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the main reason they only have 3 players signed so far is they're still negotiating with Jawai. If he re-signs it would take up a big chunk of their salary cap if he signs with a Euro team I bet they start signing players pretty quickly.

Reply #745422 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jawai has been rumoured to have signed with Perth.

Reply #745425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai's back in Cairns right now. he was at the townsville game on Friday night.

Reply #745447 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

So many different rumours for Jawai, he could even join Breakers with Bogues and Anthony who knows.

Reply #745453 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I understand they have already began their search for their local contingent.

Pamphlets have been printed and distributed throughout the township, and Lucas Walker has offered to hand out flyers at the Mall for a free Quarter Pounder.

Reply #745454 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^
W@nker

Reply #745457 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Some people lack a sense of humour.

Reply #745461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher and Jurlina doing very well for the marlins, surely they at least deserve a roster spot, even if only nine, tenth oe eleventh man. I believe both could prove very handy.

Reply #745462 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I wonder if Cairns effectively find themselves in the reverse situation to most other clubs??

Typically, a club will line-up its local core, then go to the Import Supermarket to fill the gaps.

Whereas Cairns are basically stuck with scrubs for their local contingent, and are far more constricted when it comes to imports.

And lets face it, its hard to be proactive when you are literally stuck hiring the guys nobody else wants.

They got Jervis because he wanted to be closer to Brisbane.

My take on what Jawai said was that he wasn't re-signing with Cairns, and it was either "Perth" (unlikely) or overseas.

Reply #745463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns wanted to retire Jawai didn't they?

Reply #745468 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just a thought:

Could players like Tamuri Wigness/Mojave King, who are already getting decent NBA scouting exposure, qualify for the Next Stars program? I'm thinking Wigness especially with him being from Cairns, would only make sense for the Taipans to tie him up to a contract like Mudronja. Then test NBA waters after a couple seasons? Sort of the same path as Nate Jawai?

Or is the Next Stars program for prospects who are genuinely going to be drafted?

Reply #745523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On overtime, saying that agents very frustrated with Cairns management. Not a good sign, maybe they just don't have the money to compete, seems there talking to lots but no one willing to sign.

Reply #745525 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Of course there frustrated. Don't want to send their better guys there, in bed with the big spenders and probably want Cairns to pay overs for whats left, which isn't much.

Reply #745541 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

OP - Blagojevic has gone up there after graduating from Hartford D1 USA and returning to Australia, I will be keen to see if he is taken on as a DP or gets a roster spot. Great kid who can play multiple positions, loads of skill and at 6'8" has good size as well, only 22 years of age.

Reply #745543 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If we could see what Marlins import Tommy Hamilton could do when not injured, maybe he will be a potential Taipan?

Reply #745580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blagojevic is still very raw. he's getting minutes with the Marlins atm but is still finding his feet. he had a great dunk waved away on Friday.

Tommy Hamilton is shit. Terrible shot selection, out of shape and can't stay out of foul trouble. he should be dominating in the paint in a league as small as the qbl, but instead but keeps throwing up junk from outside.

I'm becoming more sold on the idea of jurlina and krsolvic riding the end of the taipans bench if they can maitian their current form for the next few months.

Reply #745586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly agree on Jurlina, Krsolvic would be a chance but small for his position. Jurlina can play two, three, even the one if needed, he'd be a good value selection.

Reply #745593 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Is it time for Fisher to be given a roster spot? Steady and reliable and knows the system. I would prefer him over the likes of Mirko Djeric.

Reply #745601 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Player announcement Thursday 30/5, 11.00am.

Reply #745602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Djeric has a few reasonable games scoring wise lately, but overall has been poor. I follow the Serbian league and it's the league below the aba league, so not the league that Landale played in and isn’t that strong, good but I’d be surprised if it’s as good as nbl. Djeric played mostly off the bench, I don’t see him as a better pick up than Fisher or Jurlina.

Reply #745603 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Or is the Next Stars program for prospects who are genuinely going to be drafted?"

Next Stars is aimed at prospective "one & done" players. Ie kids who only go to college to complete their eligibility, basically waste a year phaffing around in a basket-weaving course they will never finish, and declare for the Draft after one season.

The attraction for them is that they get to travel, they earn some cash, being professional can get a head-start on endorsement deals, and play in a professional adult league which is actually better preparation.

The advantage for the NBL is lifting our profile in America (and elsewhere) and hopefully getting people interested in following (and maybe even watching) our league.

The advantage for the club, is that they get a free player, who whilst young is probably a bit more exciting that some of the local bench-warmers.

Realistically this means we're looking at high-profile kids from American high-schools, maybe 1st year College.

Reply #745611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the player announcement tomorrow will be Nate Jawai.

Reply #745633 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would be anti climatic if it were to be Jawai.

Reply #745634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Mirko.

Reply #745655 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

That's also anticlimactic.

Reply #745656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns spudding it already, surely can't be right.

Reply #745678 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Mirko confirmed on NBL website.

Reply #745701 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jonathon Mines has been having a great season in the QBL. He is a Brisbane boy, played D2 College ball, and was a training player with the Bullets last season. Was tossing up between Cairns and Townsville for this QBL season, the Heat seems to be like the right decision so far. Would Cairns be looking at signing him? Young player looking for an opportunity, 2/3 year deal on the minimum?

Reply #745704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should go after dufelmeier as a dp.

Reply #745705 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Mirko Djeric... BANG! BANG!

Reply #745737 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

He's only just turned 24, younger than some College returnees, so he still has upside.

Reply #745739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if he learned to play defence in Serbia.

Reply #745744 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

...or shoot a gun.

Reply #745755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754