Anonymous
Years ago

Basketball Geelong and Corio Bay to merge

News out of Geelong, Basketball Geelong and Corio Bay to merge.

Dear Valued Basketball Geelong Members,

It is with great excitement that I write to you today to inform you we have reached an "In Principle Agreement" to join forces with Corio Bay Basketball Association for the betterment of all aspects relating to basketball in the Geelong region.

Going forward we need to focus on some key areas which include competition quality (representative & domestic), referee/coach development and support, facility improvement and future stadium development.

We anticipate the transition to be seamless from a player's perspective and hope to have this marriage between the two associations in place for the upcoming Summer Season!

We hope you are as excited with this news as we are and look forward to us all enjoying the benefits of an all-inclusive basketball competition going forward.

As more information becomes available we will be sure to pass it on, but in the meantime if you have any feedback or questions, please contact me on [email protected]

Kind Regards

Mark Neeld
Chief Executive Officer
Basketball Geelong

Topic #45294 | Report this topic

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

This reads like its just for Domestic and maybe VJBL only. Wonder how it effects Big V & NBL1?

Reply #745801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see how they could have more than 2 YL teams, Supercats had to give up their Division 1 teams last year, I can't see how Big V would allow anymore again.

Reply #745803 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This has been a long time coming; fantastic news for the region, for everyone involved in sport in the Greater Geelong area (not just basketball) and will also impact positively on those Associations in the surrounding regions as well. The clubs (and there are many of them) are all in favour of this merger, which will provide a catalyst for more productive cooperation between the new united Geelong & Corio Bay Basketball Association, local government and council as well as BV and BVC. I am certain opportunities will follow that will boost the sport at all levels and place Geelong near the top of the basketball map in many ways.

It is certain the Supercats will remain as our NBL1 entity and I am sure will have the scope to launch into NBL down the track with this merger allowing the opportunity to expand with a suitable venue to be built surely now on the agenda. If Bendigo & Ballarat can do it, Geelong should be next...

Big V teams will still exist, under one banner so senior and youth league will just be combined under one united brand, allowing Bellarine, Surf Coast or Colac to also continue in the Big V or build towards it independently.

VJBL will be stronger, with teams likely to compete in VC across all age groups and opportunity for our domestic clubs to compete against each other across several stadiums at the moment will also provide opportunity to improve in many areas.

Officials, databases, merging fees, professionalism and creating a streamlined pathway and many many more benefits are to come from this. There are essentially no negatives, just things that need to be worked out so the transition is achieved for the start of next summer season, so I for one (and my club) am 1,000% behind this merger and can't wait to see it all develop!

Congratulations to our CEO and Association Presidents for working together to make this happen, well done!

Reply #745808 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

So the clubs are actually merging and not just launching a partnership?

How will it work with the Big V and NBL1 side? Didn't Geelong have to drop the Big V side (which brought on the Bellarine team) as you weren't allowed both? Or am I getting stories crossed here.

Reply #745809 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

maybe some teams down the peninsula way should do the same - westernport, mornington, Chelsea, sth penn they could grab hold of maybe a keysie group and become a bit stronger, more resources etc?

Reply #745812 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Greggo,

It is a new Association, so the NBL1 team will be a separate entity on it's own, still under the Supercats banner but the Big V teams will be under the new united banner.

That's how I see it, so there will be senior Big V teams and youth league from Geelong, also in the winter the Supercats NBL1, but still wearing their red colours and staying as Supercats.

The Big V and VJBL teams will become something new, a combination of the two Associations, representing the united brand of the new Association and wearing new colours.

That way everyone is happy and the pathway stays, does that make sense?

Reply #745814 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great news!

Reply #745815 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Yep, cheers for the response.

Reply #745816 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

amazing news

well done Geelong

Its a hard to park egos with any sort of merger and people wanting things to be as they always were, pooling of resources to make things stronger is optimal but not always possible

WP/Mornington would be a great move, especially with that new facility down there

Reply #745818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is Bear is that then they will not be able to move players from YL to NBL1, this was the problem the Supercats had when they had 6 Senior teams. The pathway is broken if players cant move up.

Reply #745820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players will make their own choices. Well done about time. I can see it being very successful. New association will offer development stream in big V plus a senior side. Supercats can run nbl1 as a separate entity as it should have always been.

Reply #745821 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not a problem anon^ if the power to be don't make it one. If a player plays YL under an Association not the same as the the BNL1 team he can essentially move I guess, but the teams will be stronger and I don't see any need for the NBL1 bench being filled with YL players to be honest.

Regardless, that is such an insignificant issue compared with the bigger picture here that no one will worry about it, I am certain about that...

Reply #745822 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Bear, thanks for your comments.

A couple of questions. Will they have sufficient population (400k?), community and business support to look to an NBL team? I think you mentioned NBL. Or are they staying with nbl1? Or looking to the NZNBL?

Currently, outside of imports, I believe they pay very little to their nbl1 players? Do you see any change of policy in regard to this?

I'm guessing that the merger makes them a fairly significant member of the basketball community?

Reply #745859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above anon, I understand this grew wings very quickly and some details will be worked through over coming months. Both clubs remain as us until the end of this season.

Reply #745865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CBL surely

Reply #745963 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Team Mate, as mentioned correctly by the anon^ post above this is all new and there will obviously be many transitional considerations and adjustments to be made before next season, when the new Association is proposed to take effect.

NBL1, I expect will remain the focus until all of those potential sponsorship, financial, stadium issues etc... are sorted out over the next years or so. I expect Geelong will be in a position of strength one day, but I would not put a date on it just yet, much to work on to get the merger up and running first.

One thing is for certain, the population in the Greater Geelong catchment area is not slowing down!

Yes anon^, I also expect CBL to continue in the summer, why wouldn't it........?

Reply #746125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Colac are entering Big V next season so I am sure that will absorb some of the residual players in a fashion similar to Bellarine this season

Reply #746249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This more then Big V. Yes we focus on Senior Basketball on this forum but massive VJBL program will entail and I understand 600 plus Domestic games from u10 to Social will be played weekly. Wow how great is that.

Reply #746279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon , in terms of practicality I do not see players travelling to Colac to train or play. Yes some have for CBL in the past and they will not repeat it.

Reply #746281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Colac's club presidents son is playing Big V at Bellarine until Colac starts Big V but will then go back

Reply #746315 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Colac are entering Big V next season..."

They've come a long way from the 90s when only a handful of us played basketball and even fewer in winter. Good to see.

Reply #746317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming Geelong and Corio merging will mean at least two Big V teams will be scrapped. Players would either need to look at Colac, Bellarine or drive to Melbourne

Reply #746383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What will happen to Corio Bays senior teams with Geelong having NBL1 teams?

Reply #746410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are dreaming if they think they are going to have anything more than YL and NBL1 teams, bye bye Corio Bay.

Reply #746463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SMH I can't believe Corio Bay fell for this.

It is simply a take over by Geelong.

Why sell out your club?

Reply #746469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens to all those involved in Corio Bay that have already burnt bridges at Geelong and Bellarine,hearing a serial burner maybe involved on the new board with the merge,if this happens they will be making a noose for there own neck,and with federal government remaining the same good luck getting funding for a new stadium,ie Bendigo and Ballarat,it's funding the footy club in Geelong that gets votes.

Reply #746473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are both broke, no other choice I guess.

Reply #746499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both broke incorrect. !
Big V disappearing incorrect (Legals and Operational issues being investigated now )
No burn't bridges in fact all clubs are friendly.
Last couple Anons( or one Anon ) nothing sinister at all about the bringing together of what should have never been parted.

PS I am sure CBBA will not let CM go with out a fight !!.

Reply #746524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this is all done now. Domestic kicks off this week. CBL next weekend. Vjbl sorted and open gym for Senior Men's programs starting this week. To the knockers they proved you wrong.

Reply #766546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations! It only took some of the best people who have been involved in basketball in Geelong to be sacked, leave or not given a position.

Reply #766558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the best people anon^, if they were the best don't you think they would have been retained or at least given this a green light years ago? Perhaps they were the best mates or your best mates, but the best for basketball in the Geelong region, maybe not!

Reply #766603 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I think its a good and bad thing, a united strong team in all areas is what Geelong elite basketball needs but variety is the spice of life and not every kid needs to be in the same leagues etc as the next.

Well done to Geelong United would have been a huge task with a lot of friendship lines that are sometimes hard to break.

Reply #766608 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754