Anonymous
Years ago

Adam Silver on Basketball in Australia/NBL

I'm not a big follower of the NBL but am of the NBA. One thing is for sure is that the NBL is getting huge exposure on US networks at the moment.

In one of the interviews with Adam Silver he calls Australia pound for pound the best Basketball country and says that he is jealous of Australia’s model.

Pretty big props.

https://youtu.be/5jUU382LzI8

Topic #45313 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

I agree with the sentiment, obviously our increasing number of NBA players and college prospects at both male and female (WNBA) levels has a fair bit to do with it.

Our elite pathways are world class, our juniors coming through have sound skill sets and coaches are taking notice, while the NBL is regarded as one of the top leagues world wide, not the biggest league but one of the strongest I believe.

Reply #746127 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Thanks for the YouTube link. That's good stuff. And evidently something that is growing too big for Silver's liking so now he's going to put a stop to it, which is a pity for us down here. If the financial juggernaut of the NBA decides to one-up our system then there's not much we can do to fight that. But just his words alone were a huge compliment to Australian basketball. And we do indeed punch above our league, not just population-wise but also when you consider how far down the list of popular sports basketball is here. Hopefully that factor is one that can keep improving relative to AFL, NRL, cricket, A-League, etc.

Reply #746325 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754