mentor for Ball

Reply #747435 | Report this post

Bandits 2020  
Years ago

Nice signing if true!

Reply #747436 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't really follow NBA, but on paper he seems to have had a pretty good career. Nearly 700 games, must be a very accomplished player. Averaged just under 10 points a game, so not a huge scorer, but would do a lot better in our league.

Reply #747440 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Would the average fan on the street know he is?

Reply #747441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO

Reply #747444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no but its like Melbourne knowing who Latrell Mitchell is a top ten player in the NRL

Reply #747445 | Report this post

Bandits 2020  
Years ago

The average person in the street won't know who he is but the average Hawks fan will be very happy with the signing once they have seen him play and that's what actually matters.

Reply #747446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

700 games! Is he 50?

Reply #747447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no 34

Reply #747448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

former team mate of David Anderson

Reply #747449 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

700 games! Is he 50?
You know how long an NBA season is, right? That's less than 9 seasons, assuming no playoff appearances. Even 34 is actually pretty old for someone who's only played 700 games, I'd imagine.

Reply #747450 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Awesome signing, Good stuff Hawks.

Reply #747451 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Great news for the Hawks they're putting together quite a good team.

Reply #747452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the hawks owner early today had a player announcement on his twitter then tok it down

Reply #747454 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Think he should be pretty good. Was a pretty decent scorer at the NBA level at times.

Reply #747455 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

When he was an NBA starter way back he averaged nearly 20ppg, then in 2015 he had another stretch of 30 or so games as a starter where he averaged nearly 20ppg again. If he's still in shape he could lead the league in scoring considering how high his usage rate will probably be at Illawarra. Great signing, more than a slight upgrade over CJ.

Reply #747458 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

From what I remember of him he was super quick which was his main strength, so will be interesting to see what he can do now - like has been said above, if he's fit this is a pretty epic signing.

Reply #747460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Explosive scorer. Nice pick up for the Hawks.

Reply #747461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what he be a good pickup for Melbourne united

Reply #747462 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Peaked in 2009-10, last played in the NBA in 2017-18- what's he been doing for the last 18 months?

Reply #747463 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Solid signing by Hawks.

Reply #747464 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Been doing squat the last 18 months cept coaching clinics

Risky as signing due to age, better still have his pace or will struggle against younger points.

Reply #747467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Co-sign me being skeptical that he's still at a great level. Better to sign the younger, fringe NBA PG's than the ones whose careers have clearly come and gone.

Nonetheless, notable name and a good addition to the league, hope he succeeds. Hard to see LaMelo come to the Hawks after this signing though, you'd have to imagine the NBL would assess Cairns or even SEM would have a better role for him.

Reply #747468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from a washed-up Ced Jackson, to Aaron Brooks. Big upgrade

Reply #747471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LaMelo a Hawk. I wouldn't be particularly happy if I was Emmett Naar. Where’s he going to get minutes with Brooks and Ball in the squad?

Reply #747474 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

My favorite Brooks memory was when Patty Mills put 37 points on him as a freshman!!! Should be a good signing for the Hawks, I wonder if he will play the 2 with Ball at the 3 and keeping Naar at the 1 spot?

Reply #747479 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Huge signing for the Hawks. Followed the Bulls pretty strongly during the D Rose period and he was one of a few back up pg's that ended up playing big minutes and as has already been said, can flat out score. Very fast, a little unorthodox which makes him hard to guard and just a flat out pro. Fingers crossed his body is in good shape. No reason why he wouldn’t lead the league in scoring.

Reply #747485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Lamelo and Aaron know what Wollongong is like?

Reply #747493 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Risky as signing due to age, better still have his pace or will struggle against younger points."

NBA seasons are long and intensive. IIRC a season can have over 80 games plus play-offs.
It's hardly surprising that a guy who would struggle with that due to age, would find our season a doddle.

He's only 6ft, which isn't big by NBA standards, so presumably he has skills, and that is a good size for our league.

Reply #747525 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Cool article on Aaron from Sam Smith when he was at the Bulls describing his character, abilities etc

https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/aaron-brooks-comfortable-lane

Reply #747532 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

It looks like ball will start at the 2

Again i stand by the risky signing part....kinda reminds me of when the 36ers signed ebi ere again.

And a strange one brooks on a team full of points and centres... wonder what sets they will run

Reply #747572 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

He definitely has the credentials to be an elite player in NBL but it doesn't always translate that way.

As a comparison, his resume is a lot better than Casper or Cotton.

But so was Steve Blake...

If he plays anywhere near the level that he was in the NBA then he will be one of the better players in NBL, if not top 3...

Time will tell.

Reply #747575 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

If Ball plays at the 2 they look a little inexperienced in that position

*Brooks / Naar
Ball / Dech
Blanchfield / Conreaad / Grida
*Import / Froling
*Boone / Ogilvy

Reply #747716 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

With Blanch & Coen at the 3, wouldn't Grida play more as a 2?

Reply #747731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brooks / Narr / LaMelo
Dech / Glover
Blanchfield / Grida
Import or Australian player / Coenraad / Froling
Boone / Aj
Brooks & Grida will play minutes at the 2
Narr & LaMelo will play at the 1
Things might change but I think this will be General make up
Starting 5
Brooks or Narr
Brooks or ? ( Depending if Brooks starts at the 1 )
Blanchfield
? ( Depends who they get )
Boone

Reply #747738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Andersen not coming back

Reply #747779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754