Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats sign Wani Swaka Lo Buluk

3-year deal. He takes Greg Hire's roster spot.

Just the import centre to go now.

Topic #45497 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he'd committed to college? Anyway, really rate him, good all-round skillset, nice signing.

Reply #750603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing only 18 will need time to develop.

Reply #750606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks good nice three shot

Reply #750608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the opposite, don’t think that highly of him.

Reply #750611 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I dont mind this but why not sign him as a full time (full salary) DP?

Reply #750612 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Good signing, was effective in dp mins especially for his age. Should get some opportunities, although i would expect mkre of a role for him in year 2 of his deal.

Reply #750616 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Essentially a local next star.....good use of the 11th spot on a roster when we are only playing 40 minute games.

Why invest in an overseas player that the club is duty bound by the NBL to provide minutes too? This way Perth maintain ownership of the roster and will continue to do as they see fit.

Reply #750623 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Agree with Me, but then again if we had taken an import next stars player, wouldn't that mean we'd have more to spend on our 3rd and final import? Otherwise not disappointed with the signing.

Reply #750625 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

I don't believe the figure Perth have invested in Wani will have an impact on the import budget to be fair.

Wani staying in Perth has more to do with the Wildcats commitment to his development (ie. sending him to the states to work with NBA development guys in the off season) than it does to a financial package.

Reply #750640 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah fair call, very interested to see who they sign as the 3rd import and when they do it, summer league is winding down now so hopefully it's not too far away.

Reply #750644 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's a fully-rostered player, so that roster spot needed to be filled by someone. Next Stars don't count towards the 11.

Reply #750645 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ah yeah of course, forgot about that.

Reply #750647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see some local young talent. Showed some potential but not sure he's going to be ready to contribute much yet. He also could have been a DP. I have a feeling they signed him as rhe 11th man because they probably got him very cheap and are planning to spend big on their import and/or chase a solid more mature next star like sydney picked up.

Reply #750665 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a little weird that they wouldn't keep him as a DP, but at the same time it's great for his development and the Cats didn't have many options.
I don't know who's getting paid what, but they have to squeeze 5 players into the bench cap. And frankly, I'm please they have gone for somebody with huge upside potential, rather than just recycling one of the usual hacks.

Personally, I think this is a much better option all round, than a 4 year basket-weaving degree in the USA. As an athletic wing player, he's also a good fit. He can back up the 2 or 3, can run the floor, and has a decent outside shot.

And with Jervis and Hire gone, its nice to see some more local talent coming back to the Cats.

Reply #750667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Dazza.
Also good to see young guys (Vague) taking 10/11 spots.
Rather than recycling some 30+ player.
NBL might work out better for him than years of college and finding himself in same spot as now but at 22 not 18.

Reply #750669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to the cats for investing in young Australians!

Reply #750695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A reminder to those who forget the next star player isn't counted as part of 11man roster or salary cap.

Reply #750698 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah it must be about the bench salaries not exceeding a certain amount because he could have been a DP for a couple more seasons (is the limit 25 years of age or 3 years as a DP or both) because 18 is so young in a league with DPS limit as 25

Reply #750704 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wani Swaka Lo Buluk

tl;dr

Reply #750730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Travers?

Reply #750742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is #730 trying to be funny.

Reply #750743 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Yeah it must be about the bench salaries not exceeding a certain amount because he could have been a DP for a couple more seasons (is the limit 25 years of age or 3 years as a DP or both) because 18 is so young in a league with DPS limit as 25"

I'm sure that factored into it from the Cats side. They have a decent bench, so they need a couple of guys at or close to the minimum.

But it could also be about making him a legitimate offer to forgo College. Giving him a roster spot for 3 years shows a lot of commitment from the Cats and would have given him the confidence to turn pro.

Reply #750751 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Here's the Cat's squad so far

I see Steindl also playing minutes at the 3 while Wani matures and gains confidence.

Martin / Norton
*Cotton / Steindl
*White / Swaka Lo Buluk
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
*Import / Majok

Reply #750934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wani to miss 3-4 months due to a serious ankle injury
http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/wani-swaka-lo-buluk-suffers-ankle-injury

Reply #759609 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Poor fella. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Opens the door for Nic Pozoglou to get some minutes

Reply #759615 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:57 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754