Is Mitch Creek still in the squad?

Reply #752873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol.

Reply #752874 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Out goes Simmons. In comes Cadee. We lose very little with that swap.

Reply #752875 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cadee for Simmons, seems fair

Reply #752876 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If Ben Simmons played for the Bullets there is no way he wouldn't be playing for the Boomers

Reply #752877 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

That phone call Lemanis made to Simmons all makes sense now...

Reply #752878 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This will increase the already healthy sales of the JC Five clothing range.

Get yours now at https://jasoncadee.com/collections/all before they are sold out!

Reply #752880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, ahhhh.

Reply #752884 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

To make up numbers in the 18 and nothing more , hopefully.

Reply #752885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not how you play the game it’s who you know in the game.

Reply #752886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's essentially Mccarron or Cadee for the last spot.

Dellavedova/Mccarron or Cadee
Mills/Sobey/Goulding
Ingles/Creek/1 of Adel or Gliddon
Bolden/2 of Kay, Motum or Landale
Baynes/Bogut

Reply #752889 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Almost as funny as the Poms getting Boris as PM

Reply #752892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the world is fooked. Next we will see Pauline as prime minister.

Reply #752899 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Personally I'd take McCarron over Goulding, Gliddon and Sobey regardless of Cadee.

Reply #752902 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

This selection is absolute wank.

Reply #752903 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Well said Jick.

Reply #752904 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Have to appease Cadee somehow, I guess. I'm sure he was promised a starting gig in Brisbane, now he's probably looking at 15 minutes a game off the bench.

Reply #752905 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

From FoxSports, Lemanis on his selection process for role players:
"Shooting always helps, in terms of being able to put the ball in the basket, be able to stretch the floor,"

“Then, guys who are prepared to play defence, and there's always a role for someone who can just go on and take on a defensive assignment, and shut somebody down. The thing is, there’s no secret behind it, there are guys who are gonna make the team. Then it’s a case of, alright, understanding their skillset, and trying to find some pieces that complement that, and perhaps aren’t present in the skillsets of the guys who are locks for the team.

“A defensive-mindset role, someone who can just flat-out shoot it and put the ball in the basket, and then, you guys know the way that we play as well — you’ve seen this in the past — offensively, the ball moves and hums, and all that sort of stuff, so good decision-makers, good basketball IQ guys.

“(Also) guys who are prepared to be disruptive defensively. That’s another part of our trademark, being a little bit different defensively; we’re a bit more, we’re a bit more up the floor than’s usual for international competition. The guys who are able to help us execute that.”

So Cadee will make the selection for role players easier because he doesn't fit any of these roles.

Reply #752912 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Makes sense.

Reply #752913 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Is this a joke? 8ppg on 38% shooting in the NBL. How does that allow him to compete at a higher level. There must be 200 more deserving players to join this squad.

Reply #752914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at least he is willing to play for his country

Reply #752915 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

All jokes aside, at least the Boomers have now picked a guy from their national competition that has similar stats to guys on Team USA from their national competition.

Reply #752916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh for fucksake. I wish the two of them would just get a room and put an end to this flirtation.

Reply #752917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb to even have him in the squad, but if it's just to make up numbers meh I can live with it.

If he actually makes the team, I will start a riot

Reply #752918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GET RID OF LEMANJIS

Reply #752919 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Have to appease Cadee somehow, I guess. I'm sure he was promised a starting gig in Brisbane, now he's probably looking at 15 minutes a game off the bench.

That's what I think too. Likely a large part of the reason he left the Kings to go to the Bullets is he was probably promised the starting PG spot and now one year into his 3 year contract they bring in Sobey. This is Lemanis trying to keep him content and focused for the Bullets season ahead.

Reply #752921 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Should be academic. I can't see how Cadee makes the final 12. The only thing he offers that is remotely elite is his speed in transition and Sobey is better than him in that anyway, so there is literally no reason for him to make the final team.

Reply #752922 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Mccarron or Cadee
Mills/Sobey/Goulding
Ingles/Creek/1 of Adel or Gliddon
Bolden/2 of Kay, Motum or Landale
Baynes/Bogut

I think McCarron should miss based on there are already so many hustle guys on that team, Delly, Sobey, Gliddon, Creek, Ingles. Love money making Mitch, but don't think he adds anything that those guys already bring. Hate Goulding, but his shooting is something we need out there. With the lack of PG's I'd say Cadee will likely play too. Does Kay beat out Motum and Landale? I'm a Cats fan and prob don't think he makes it either.

Reply #752923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if bolden will back out soon.

Reply #752924 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Wow wee Jason Cadee, not a name I can imagine seeing in the roster of arguably Australia's strongest line up at an international competition. It won't surprise me seeing him siting on the Boomers bench at the World Cup.

I understand Will McDowell-White is yet to decided if he will pull out of the squad.....oh wait, deciding to pull out of the squad if he is invited to join the squad.

Wow wee Jason Cadee. Hard work pays off!

Reply #752931 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Delly/Sobey
Mills/Goulding
Ingles/Creek/Adel
Bolden/Motum
Baynes/Bogut/Landale

Nope. No room for Cadee if they have any sense.

Reply #752934 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's disturbing that the coach feels our National team is his personal toy

Reply #752941 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I've never rated Lemanis but back in the day due to a strong Blackwell-led Breakers organisation clouded everyone's opinion of him, including BA's.

So the Bullets go out and recruit in tandem Andrej and the ex-Breakers CEO and they've both ended up being garbage. LK if you want to sell the team get better personnel.

Reply #752946 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

https://www.change.org/p/ticketmaster-refund-the-boomers-vs-usa-basketball-matches

Reply #752953 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Let's not judge Lemanis too quickly here. A late addition like this was always extremely unlikely to make the squad. Other factors may have led to the decision to invite Cadee. Where is the training camp being held? Perhaps it is down the road from Cadee's house. BA is always looking for ways to cut costs. Has anyone studied Cadee's towel waving technique? He might need some hints from towel-waving extraordinaire, Patty Mills, as Cadee's minutes should decline next NBL season. Perhaps Cadee might be a good choice as the designated driver. He has an accident-free driving record, right? There are also a lot of pissed off fans that wanted to see Simmons play. The Cadee selection might be an ingenious way to redirect anger away from Simmons.

Reply #752954 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

*extremely unlikely to make the *final team*

Reply #752955 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Quality response. Two thumbs up.

Reply #752959 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

ME I think you've got it that’s my 12 too. Although this isn’t what Sobey is known for I think he will be used at times to guard 94 feet and try to speed teams up. My only difference is I think Baynes and Bogut will start together.

Reply #752962 | Report this post

Joey's vest  
Years ago

Haha that JC5 merch is fire

Reply #752963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are in massive trouble.

Best outcome here is a poor showing and early exit at the WC. BA's hand is then forced to bring in a competent and high profile international coach who can 1)provide profile and restore some positive rhetoric around the Boomers after the farce that the exhibition games have become 2) command the respect of and handle Simmons and his BS 3) bring demonstrated 'winning’ coaching capability at the highest level ie nba or international medal winner

I’m talking a Popovich, Nick Nurse, Magnano, Rivers, Djordjevic (won’t prise him away from Serbia though), even bring back Brett Brown damn it (not that he’s won anything)

Reply #752967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst case is nz finish in front and no more Olympics. fail in qualification with no overseas players available.

Reply #752968 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Best outcome here is a poor showing and early exit at the WC. "

Best outcome for who? New Zealand?

Lemanis headed a Boomers team with the best chemistry ever and equal-best major international tournament result. It's a bit premature to call for some fanciful coaching replacements.

Reply #752974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Failed to medal at two major tournaments.
Bit early to change coaches ??? How many chances we prepared to give with our 'golden generation' window ?? Oh hang on sorry Big Ben will deliver us to the golden land regardless of the coach, that’s right .... he dat good

Wake up people

Reply #752977 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

would have been much better if josh green was picked. Stupid basketball Australia

Reply #753000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green is a freshman in college, not ready.
You need a guy that competes like white

Reply #753002 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

green is already a better player than cadee.
No harm picking green as a 11th, 12th player for the team. Rui Hachimura was more than ready at 18 year old, green is also ready.

Reply #753009 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Failed to medal at two major tournaments.
Bit early to change coaches ??? How many chances we prepared to give with our 'golden generation' window ?? Oh hang on sorry Big Ben will deliver us to the golden land regardless of the coach, that's right .... he dat good

Wake up people"

First off, in 2014 no one expected us to medal. We didn't have Patty Mills or Andrew Bogut. We were very lucky to make it to the round of 16, and just a little unlucky to fall against Turkey. We were a quarter away from a top 8 finish, and for the team we had, that would have been an achievement.

Then in 2016 he follows up a "solid" showing at the cup with the best Boomers performance of all time. We nearly swept pool play (which has never happened before), only fell to the USA by 10, beat eventual silver medallists Serbia, and only lost the bronze by a single point on a referee's decision.

And then you have the qualifiers and Asia Cup, all of which have been virtually without blemish. The loss to Japan, unexpected, but understandable given he was throwing a new team together, and with Japan bringing in Hachuimura and that American guy. And then the loss to Iran, when we were running a team full of kids. A big "so what?" to that result.

So basically, Lemanis has been, by a wide margin, Australia's most successful Boomers coach. He's taken us closer to medals than any other coach. He's qualified us for major tournaments in every chance. He's had quality results even when losing big pieces, and he's built a Boomers culture that has ensured that even when a player of note falls, there are numerous guys with enough International experience to come in and take their place.

You're a fucking idiot, basically. Changing Lemanis as coach would be a suicide mission for the team at this point.

Reply #753013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hachimura is 21 and has a had3 years in college, only became a starter last year for Japan.

Reply #753014 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Hachimura played for the national team since age 17 I think.

Reply #753017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Value your opinion ME.
A couple of points to add though.
You left out that under his watch we've had the tanking scandal in 2014 v Angola, which backfired when we couldn’t get past Turkey in the 'easier’ quarterfinal we ranked for, the Phillipines court decal and brawl debacle, two x failed end of game plays to be eliminated in 2014 and bronze game 2016, and the deplorable semi final performance against Serbia in Rio.

All with teams capable of challenging for medals.

I rate Andrej, I really do. As a domestic club coach. I just reckon our chances are improved by a coach who’s proved they can win stuff internationally, rather than one who’s proved they can’t.

Reply #753021 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"tanking scandal in 2014 v Angola"
You really disagree? The rationale was sound and often practiced by Euro teams.

"the Phillipines court decal and brawl debacle"
How was Lemanis responsible for this? When it happened, he did the smart thing to ensure that no players left the bench.

"two x failed end of game plays to be eliminated in 2014 and bronze game 2016"
That's possibly a fair criticism, but in the context of a team's overall performance, it could just as well be due to random chance.

"the deplorable semi final performance against Serbia in Rio."
After beating Serbia convincingly in their encounter a few days prior. Quality teams like Serbia will make adjustments.

Reply #753026 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You don't show your hand a few days earlier to a team capable of adjusting though. A naive mistake just like the attempt at tanking.

Reply #753027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia 2016. From 15 point win in group to 26 point loss in semi. More than an 'adjustment'. It was a deplorable miss, Has to be on the coach.

EOG plays - yep, could be random, but Coach L drew up or instructed both plays that failed.

So the build up of physicality v Phillipines preemptions the brawl couldn’t have been better managed by The Coach ??

Coaches who win internationally get this stuff right.

Reply #753050 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Serbia 2016. From 15 point win in group to 26 point loss in semi. More than an 'adjustment'. It was a deplorable miss, Has to be on the coach.

Come on FFS if you've been around long enough you know that some of the good Euro teams intentionally throw group stage games to engineer a future match up against a preferred opponent, you can't blame Lemanis for that.

Reply #753061 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"You don't show your hand a few days earlier to a team capable of adjusting though."
A crossover to play Serbia again was just one of many, many permutations. You have to make sure you qualify for the knockout stage of the tournament, so of course the team should play to its full potential.

"A naive mistake just like the attempt at tanking."
Unless you have access to an alternate universe, I find this claim very difficult to support. The Boomers were playing the odds for a medal. Avoiding USA was the sensible choice for this. They rolled the dice and lost. If they didn't tank, it may have improved their chances of advancing to the final 8, but reduced their chances of a medal significantly. These kinds of tournaments always depend on some degree of luck.

I would love to hear your argument if you really are arguing that Lemanis's decision was not correct based on the odds at the time.

If you want to argue against the tanking based on going against the spirit of competition, then I'd support that stance.

Reply #753066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol

Reply #753068 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"the build up of physicality v Phillipines preemptions the brawl couldn't have been better managed by The Coach ??"

So there was failure of the refs to manage the game, leading to their lengthy suspensions, and the absolutely unexpected outrageous response of most of the Philippines team, but it ultimately came down to Lemanis's mismanagement? Clutching at straws.

Reply #753080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A crossover to play Serbia again was just one of many, many permutations.
I still maintain that if Croatia had beat Serbia, we'd have been in the gold medal game.

Reply #753089 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm sure I'm missing something but if you need a culture guy that would be great at training and knows the plays then why wouldn't you pick Damien Martin?

I wouldn't expect either to be in the World Cup but I feel like Martin would help put his Boomers team mates over as he's fair and amazing defensive and when Patty makes shots over him then he will feel much better about himself than against the defence of Cadee.

Reply #753090 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd also like to see Lisch being a training squad member too as he has so many attributes that make him a perfect squad member

Reply #753091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud
You could pick twenty players but that's not how system works unfortunately.

Reply #753093 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wow Cadee added....are they trying to put out the worst product possible!

Reply #753097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember when Phil Smyth picked 11 small forwards and Brett Maher and we lost to NZ

Reply #753107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we confident old AL is the one to pull all the strings and get us a medal in Tokyo or will we be defending him for a 'good effort mate‘ while medals are draped around other equally or lesser talented rosters necks ?

Reply #753132 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Or while you take an Aus-centric point of view and believe the hype around the talent in the Boomers teams without understanding the actual quality of talent in all the competing national teams.

Reply #753142 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

In all seriousness, if we're going to medal, we'll need Mills, Ingles and Delly to adjust their games to being the go to guys instead of the role players. If any of them can't take over a game when it matters, or sink those big shots in close games then we don't really stand a chance. I don't even think Ben Simmons changes that result, he was a liability for the 76ers in crunch time this season. X-factor for us could be Mitch Creek though if he has upped his game immensely from G-league experience.

Reply #753144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear ya Senator - don't think we’ll medal then sorry. With respect, none of these guys are 'take over’ material. Maybe Mills.
FIBA ball is much more ‘team’ than the NBA tho, so a collective, well executed game plan needs to be our game really. Which is why we need a proven, successful international ball coach.

Reply #753192 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Which is why we need a proven, successful international ball coach."

^ This

Some people will argue that Lemanis is... :/

Reply #753193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I laugh every time I think of him creating a brand!!

Reply #753194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many games has Brisbane lost in the last quarter? it seems closing games and end of game plays are not AL's strong points

Although I can't quite work out exactly what ARE his strong points...

Reply #753195 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Let's make this simple:
Whomever is responsible for Spuddee being called up, should be sacked.
if that is Lemanis, so be it.

Reply #753206 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Do we trust any of our assistant coaches to help run clutch plays as Lemanis in late game situations does scare me

Reply #753207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AL's End of Game is disastrous. But I think that’s an Aussie thing. Just have a look at our 19 girl’s last play in normal time v USA on the weekend.

Reply #753211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Death, taxes and Cadee being named to Lemanis' Boomers squads.

Reply #753998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754