D2.0
Years ago

Chima Moneke and Naturalisation

Copied this from the Jawai thread:
"He said given how long the process is taking for his naturalization and how it's cost him playing in the NBL this season that he might as well play for Nigeria.

Maybe he's not a future Boomer but as far as the NBL goes, that's a big loss. He's an exciting, young player with real upside and athleticism, and he had a very productive college career. Also a pity given he's spent the majority of his life in Aus."

"I definitely want to play in the Olympics, but I think at this point it would just make sense for me to play for Nigeria, if I ever do play," Moneke said.
"Australia has a lot of talent, they'll be set with their personnel and who they're going to use. Playing for Nigeria might make more sense for me now."

Not sure he would ever have qualified as an "Australian" Boomer? I thought the rule was that you needed to naturalise before 16, which he clearly didn't do?? If so his only shot would be the naturalised player slot.

""I would have get my citizenship if I am ever going to play as a local [in the NBL], obviously. At this point I'm just going to focus on playing over here until I play in the NBA.""

Fair enough, but playing for Nigeria doesn't effect his ability to play NBL. He just has to naturalise.
And whether he wnats to play her or not, he'd be nuts to not get his citizenship.

Topic #45633 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice to have him internationally qualified as an Australian, even if he's never a Boomer... but you never know how he's going to develop either, might turn out a gun!

Either way, want to see him in the NBL (as a local). That should be priority #1 and that means naturalization.

Not sure about the 'naturalize before 16' thing.. if that's true someone better be getting on to Mojave King's situation if it's not too late already!

Reply #754182 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

To be fair, its this 'before 16' rule that meant no import American could play for the TBs, as Isaac Fotu is playing as our naturalised guy. I do wonder whether the Breakers could've ever gotten a PG that could stay long enough to naturalise - could be a sweetener.

Out of interest - If Kyrie hypothetically played for the Boomers, would he have been under the naturalised category or not because of birthplace?

Reply #754192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irving is a dual citizen - American and Australian. The location of his birth did not automatically confer Australian citizenship. However, I suspect one or both of his father and mother was on a permanent residency visa(s) at the time of his birth, which would have made him an Australian citizen by birth. That's consistent with the fact he lived in the USA from a very early age yet still holds Australian citizenship.

As such, he would have played as a native Boomer rather than as the naturalised Boomer.

Reply #754197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^that was me - keep forgetting to log in before posting.

Reply #754198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please explain the context of what happened here

Reply #754200 | Report this post

Barnaby  
Years ago

Wait, so can Kyrie Irving become a backbencher in Australian parliament?

Reply #754203 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why would you bother for a measly $211K.

Reply #754212 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can someone please explain the context of what happened here

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/45224-trash-talk-breaking-news/

Reply #754214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure he isn't that good.

Reply #754223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's good for div two France, nbl1 level.

Reply #754225 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

21. a. A national team participating in a Competition of FIBA may have only one player on its team who has acquired the legal nationality of that country by naturalisation or by any other means after having reached the age of sixteen (16).

Pretty foolish by his parents really. He's been here since he was two years old. This is his home, and really the only country he has known.
Why wouldn't you get him citizenship?

For mine the interesting ones are guys like Thon Maker. Hopefully he got his in time.

Reply #754227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Exactly. There's no reason for him not to have had Australian citizenship prior to needing it for employment. If it's taken a bit longer now, that's not really anyone's fault but his and his family's.

I don't think he's a future Boomer, and at this stage he's an end of the bench guy in the NBL, not much better than most DPs. He has the physical tools to evolve into more but at 6'6" he's basically played as a Kenneth Faried-esque energy PF for most of his career. He still doesn't have the ball skills, shooting and decision making ability to play on the wing.

Reply #754235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^I'm assuming Thon did because he played for Aus. already.

As for Moneke, I think his college resume speaks for itself. He's a bit undersized but plays a lot bigger than his size. Elite athleticism, bit time rebounder, blocks shots and good feet on D, power finisher, has some post/mid-range game, etc. If he ever extends his range out, which is definitely possible, he could be an impact NBL player. He's 22 and 1 season into his pro career, I find it crazy people are so low on a guy that has the tools, youth and college production he has going for him.

Reply #754238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same situation with Mojave's king, could you talk bad about his parents?. Don’t think so. He’s been here forever and hasn’t got citizenship.

Reply #754240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Moneke ever get his citizenship?

Reply #819307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a good get for jackjumpers if he doesn't get promoted to top flight France.

Reply #819308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't get his Australian citizenship, is playing in div one France this season. If he ever plays in Australia it will be as an import, though he’s probably earning more playing in France.

Reply #819310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He still applied for it, he just didn't get it in time

Reply #819311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chima ain't really good enough accept as a bench players so needs the citizenship or whats the point

Reply #819315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's better than a lot of starting sfs in the nbl but it would be best for him to get citizenship.

Reply #819316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't get citizenship while he’s not in Australia, I’ll watch how his season in div one France goes .

Reply #819317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was first team division b and now moved to d1

Reply #819318 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754