Aussie
Years ago

Is Will McDowell White still a 2 way player?

I thought WMW signed a 2 way deal with the Rockets?

I just found this after looking his name up on Wiki:

Houston Rockets

After failing to be drafted in the 2019 NBA draft, McDowell-White signed an Exhibit-10 contract with the Houston Rockets, and would go on to play for the Rockets in the 2019 NBA Summer League.[6] He later had his contract converted to a two-way deal[7], a decision that was later reversed.[8]

I'm a bit confused?

Topic #45880 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Did you follow that footnote #8?

After converting Ponds and McDowell-White to two-way contracts, the Rockets have converted them back to standard deals, according to RealGM's official transactions log and ESPN’s Bobby Marks.

The two players appear to be back on essentially the same contracts they were before, but with one key difference, as Marks explains: The initial Exhibit 10 deals for Ponds and McDowell-White didn’t feature Exhibit 9 language, which limits a team’s liability if a player is injured in training camp or the preseason. Teams must have at least 14 players under contract to add Exhibit 9 language to an agreement, which the Rockets didn’t when they signed the duo in early July.

Without the Exhibit 9 clause, the Rockets would have had to pay either player’s salary if he suffered an injury in the preseason, up until he got healthy. As such, a season-ending injury would have forced Houston to pay the player’s entire salary, which would have compromised the team’s ability to limit its tax bill (or avoid the tax altogether). With Exhibit 9 language in place, Houston will now only be on the hook for $6K in the event of an injury.

The upshot is that Ponds and McDowell-White are back on non-guaranteed salaries and Houston’s two-way slots are once again open.

Reply #761596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should've stayed in Europe or come back to Australia, these like very crappy deals. Humphries is on the same I think and Adel.

Reply #761604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a two way NBA player wouldn't be bad but its so dependent on injuries and taking opportunities to become anything more. Barely a step up from the G League and not serious money.

Reply #761608 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Lots of guys have gotten good opportunities out of 2-way deals in the last couple of years. Not all, sure, but over a season all NBA teams get injuries and if they have someone in house they can use for the short term they'll often do it. I think it is worth a crack, especially when you're young.

Reply #761609 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Wonder what WMW would've been if the old man hadn't meddled and pulled him out of COE. Likely would've been a much sharper player with an improved pathway to the NBA system.

Reply #761638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coe was good for a few players but lot out there have done not much.

Reply #761639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #771257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754