Reality
Years ago

We choked...how do we fix it

So the Boomers choked in both games against Spain & France having big margins but literally throwing the games away with poor turnovers and decision making.

How do we improve this come the Olympics?

Topic #45906 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

more threads on the topic.. yes definitely more threads required !

Reply #763064 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Get a Swiss bank account

Reply #763068 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

Better players. When a team is choking fourth quarter, could be something to do with the depth of the squad. Kay, Goulding, Creek doing ok in moments but looked a par below the rest. Those guys would struggle to get a contract with a decent European team. Don't forget how close we came to beating the Champions Spain. It was a great effort by the Boomers. Great tournament for the majority. Could even be seen as an overachievement.

Reply #763069 | Report this post

Reality 2.0  
Years ago

We give the ball to Dante Exum and Ben Simmons, and delly sits on the bench.

Reply #763070 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It is worrying for sure.

It means that the Boomers have basically lost all 5 of their last 'crucial games' at either the World Cup or Olympics since 2014 (Round of 16 game in 2014, Semi and 3rd place playoff in 2016 and semi and 3rd playoff again in 2019).

It was the manner in which some of those games were lost - they should have been closed out (bar the semi in 2016 where they did get spanked).

That can start to have an effect psychologically - so it is something that the team needs to sort out - closing out those big games.

Granted new players may come along (who won't have been exposed to 2014, 2016 and 2019), however its likely the same coach will still be there. So coaching in late game stages definitely needs to be reviewed post-tournament (not saying it was Lemanis' fault but just something worth reviewing).

Reply #763076 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

In fact Australia does not have a system to naturally fall back to. I can see lots of talk about the current coach, past and possible future coaches and what they implement or may bring. If every time players must adapt to a different style, there will be no continuity and no success. All powerhouses (bar USA) have a distinct style of play, developed over the decades and incoming players are simply plugged into it. This obviously works as Spain, Serbia (or former Yugoslavia)... keep harvesting the fruits of their visions. This was the first time I saw Serbia try to run through Jokic, which is not how their system operates, and obviously it didn't work against quality opposition. Last two games, Jovic ran the old fashion point and they looked very dangerous. Lemanis has been trying to implement a nation wide system but not everyone has bought into it.

Personally I think Australia lacks PGs or the way the game is progressing combo guards, players that can dictate the floor and make crucial decisions and nail the buckets when it matters. I don't think that this will change with Simmons in this position as the NBA style suits him but not the FIBA one. Exum is probably the closest to what is needed, but will he be healthy? Not sure about Green, not proven, all others unless they improve their shooting should not be even a matter of discussion.

Reply #763081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the history plays a part here. Like other teams, we were missing useful players. We took the winners further than any other team, so we were definitely in the mix. You could argue that we were one shot off winning the whole thing seeing how Spain dealt with Argentina. But, we had solid leads and lost them to experienced teams.

Seems more down to adjustments after half-time or later in the game? Or reaction of key players when it counted. Sometimes it feels like we live or die by Delly's offensive status - if his three doesn't hit, it's ugly. Things got a bit wayward at times - maybe tiredness from the two key guards because it was a step down from Patty/Delly to Gliddon, Sobey, etc. Patty played 45 minutes against Spain.

We went from shooting threes well to 10/40 against Spain and 4/17 against France. 22 turnovers against Spain, and 19 against France.

Reply #763093 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On a brief overview, you could be forgiven for thinking Australia choked themselves out of a medal. Double digit lead in the third quarter and then lost, in the semi and again in the Bronze game.

But look closer and I think fatigue was the major issue. Both games, our ball movement slowed down and the offense wasn't flowing because the D was one step ahead and reading us like a book. That can happen when you’ve played 8 physical games in 14 days travelling across China, or when you’re playing against an elite defensive unit like Spain, who were the best defensive team in the Cup. Especially when they had an extra day and a half’s break.

It's not surprising given an issue with the roster- the Boomers relied on the offensive sets and crisp passing to get scores, because Patty is the only guy who can consistently go one on one. And even he’s more comfortable coming off screens than going iso.

If Simmons plays in Tokyo, hopefully we have the best of both worlds- a cohesive unit with smart offensive sets, along with another elite scorer who can bail us out one-on-one when required.

Reply #763098 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Simmons on this team will make a big difference.
Delly can't shoot anyway, so having the primary ball carrier as someone who can actually penetrate and finish, or dish to the shooters will change the way we play.
Having Goulding/Broekhoff and Ingles on each wing, with Patty cutting to the top, Baynes down low, and Simmons rolling to the basket will make us very hard to match up on.
Patty was really the only one who consistently could create shots for himself, and would get inside for the easy points.
Against Spain and France, Delly and Ingles played way too passive, which meant the defence could press up higher on us without having to protect the drive. This meant we got stuck around the 3 point line or higher in the half court, and it was a lot harder to get the shooters open. Led to a lot of turnovers and loose passes, and rushed/forced shots.
We really needed a second point guard. With Delly as the only real natural point on the roster, we were forced to play him big minutes, and against the tight defences, his lack of penetration was exposed.

Reply #763119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly off the bench to Simmons

Broekhoff off the bench to Patty

Problem solved

Still don't see Kay sticking in the team. Missed a few bunnies and wasn't able to contain the more athletic bigs which meant more time for Creek.

Maker fixes that.

Reply #763120 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Lack of depth definitely hurt down the stretch with too much expected of patty offensively.

There were so many times at the end of the last two games where we needed another scorer to just back themselves put their man on their hip and get to the hole. But we just seemed too timid or tired, Simmons and exum replacing sobey and glidden help that massively.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, we were a shit foul call on Bogut or a mills free throw from a guaranteed silver medal. Lack of depth and length definitely hurt

Reply #763121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without a doubt, the Boomers are world's best at choking to finish fourth.

Will not be genuinely embraced or respected until they demonstrate the strength and skill to win something.

For all the money that LK has spent on the sport here, the Boomers' failures continue to shoot the sport in the foot.

Is the man who saved basketball interested in buying the team?

Reply #763151 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yep, lets not discuss the question, lets fall back on same old crap "next toim will be diffrent because we'll have X"
Never mind that we're been saying the same thing for 20 years.

Three things contributed to this:
1. We didn't have all our best players
2. We played an 8.5 man rotation and filled the bench with spuds
3. We don't have the right plays to close out games.

How do we fix these?

Reply #763165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4th in the World Cup not bad could have been higher and it could have been lower 4th is about where the current boomers team is at player talent and coaching wise.

To win the World Cup the boomers needed the full team of nba players on the roster. Australia's young nba talent needs to get involved in the boomers. The NBL guys did their best but just not as good as the boomers nba guys (besides Bogut.)

The coach did his beast as well but something that Liam touched on a few weeks ago on overtime time might be on the money, the fact that coach doesn’t finish of well at the end of close games in the NBL or fiba. I don’t know who could do a better job this close to the Olympics let’s see how Will Weaver goes with the kings this year.

It’s sad to say but delly and ingels are almost ready for the NBL but definitely needed for the Olympic team hopefully of the bench for Simmons and exam.

A good result is possible at the Olympics as long as we have the full nba roster boomers team (except for bogut) and a better game plan for the end of tight games.

Definitely a lot more Australian people talking about the boomers and Australian basketball and Americans. Really promising signs for Australian bball

Reply #763168 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Said it before and I'll say it again, Boomers should have taken Damien Martin to back up Delly minutes, plays the same aggressive D, plays team orientated basketball, doesn't turn the ball over much. That Sobey spot was wasted. would have given us an option to lock down a guard and to bench Delly when he was playing shit.

Reply #763190 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"To win the World Cup the boomers needed the full team of nba players on the roster."

There was one team with a full team of NBA players and they came 7th. Argentina without any came 2nd. What we need is players with FIBA experience, around whom we can slot in Simmons (touch wood he plays) as a difference maker.

Reply #763194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was one team with a full team of NBA players and they came 7th. Argentina without any came 2nd. What we need is players with FIBA experience, around whom we can slot in Simmons (touch wood he plays) as a difference maker.

We should keep all the talented NBL players then see how many World Cups the boomers can win then.
Wait we already tried that 4th 4th 4th and so on

Reply #763197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul I'm not going to list the Australian nba players that didn’t play but I think thay have proven to have more talent than our NBL players.
Who are the magical fiba experience players you speak off? And why didn’t we use them this World Cup?
The nba is where the best and most experienced Australian players are .

Reply #763198 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

If Mills learns to dribble between his legs.
If Bogut takes care of the ball after rebounding.
If Ingles stops throwing airballs.

Not doing all the above in a 40 second period will help.

Reply #763221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Who are the magical fiba experience players you speak off? And why didn't we use them this World Cup?"

We did, and they are the key to us being one of the very best teams in the world. In fact, one of only two teams to make the medal rounds in both Rio and China. Pleasingly, we added to our core this year with a couple of key grunt players learning the FIBA game.

If we keep the core of this team together, bring back Broekhoff and his valuable shooting and length, and then add Simmons and Exum for athleticism we are in good shape to again make a run at it.

The reality is there are seven brilliant national teams in the world, and others very capable on their day, so top 4 is a great effort we'll have to play very well to repeat, but if we can add those players around our core we'll give ourselves a good chance.

Reply #763225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul
So your saying bring in the young Australian nba talent and leave out the NBL players?

Something like this

Paul I'm not going to list the Australian nba players that didn't play but I think thay have proven to have more talent than our NBL players.
Who are the magical fiba experience players you speak off? And why didn’t we use them this World Cup?
The nba is where the best and most experienced Australian players are .

Did you even read this one Paul?

4th in the World Cup not bad could have been higher and it could have been lower 4th is about where the current boomers team is at player talent and coaching wise.

To win the World Cup the boomers needed the full team of nba players on the roster. Australia's young nba talent needs to get involved in the boomers. The NBL guys did their best but just not as good as the boomers nba guys (besides Bogut.)

The coach did his beast as well but something that Liam touched on a few weeks ago on overtime time might be on the money, the fact that coach doesn’t finish of well at the end of close games in the NBL or fiba. I don’t know who could do a better job this close to the Olympics let’s see how Will Weaver goes with the kings this year.

It’s sad to say but delly and ingels are almost ready for the NBL but definitely needed for the Olympic team hopefully of the bench for Simmons and exam.

A good result is possible at the Olympics as long as we have the full nba roster boomers team (except for bogut) and a better game plan for the end of tight games.

Definitely a lot more Australian people talking about the boomers and Australian basketball and Americans. Really promising signs for Australian bball

Reply #763228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are the magical fiba experienced players from Australia ? We have a good group of nba players on the team plus bogut did I miss anyone?

Reply #763230 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"who are the magical fiba experienced players from Australia ?"

Here's a good list:

Bogut - 3 Olympics, 2 World Cups, debuted in 04 Olympics
Mills - 3 Olympics, 2 World Cups, debuted in 07 Oceania Champs
Ingles - 3 Olympics, 3 World Cups, debuted in 08 Olympics
Dellavedova - 2 Olympics, 2 World Cups, debuted in 09 Oceania Champs
Baynes - 2 Olympics, 3 World Cups, debuted in 09 Oceania Champs
Broekhoff - 1 Olympics, 1 World Cup, debuted in 14 World Cup
Goulding - 1 Olympics, 2 World Cups, debuted in 14 World Cup

All these guys have played multiple tournaments and learned their teammates, their system and the international game. It's this experience and the consistency of the Boomers programs that allows them to utilise their talents and make the team to be a top 4 team in the world.

In contrast, the USA with more talent but less international experience and less consistency in the program, and a coach with less knowledge of the international game, finished 7th this year.

Reply #763241 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

World Cup Top 20 minutes played:

1 Patty Mills (AUS)‎ 271
2 Joe Ingles (AUS)‎ 271
3 Tomas Satoransky (CZE)‎ 265
4 Adam Waczynski (POL)‎ 251
5 Matthew Dellavedova (AUS) ‎ 244
6 Jaromir Bohacik (CZE)‎ 242
7 A.J. Slaughter (POL)‎ 238
8 Luís Scola (ARG)‎ 236
9 Facundo Campazzo (ARG)‎ 233
10 Mateusz Ponitka (POL)‎ 229
11 Marc Gasol (ESP)‎ 228
12 Vojtech Hruban (CZE)‎ 227
13 Evan Fournier (FRA)‎ 225
14 Bogdan Bogdanovic (SRB)‎ 224
15 Donovan Mitchell (USA)‎ 217
16 Rudy Fernandez (ESP)‎ 216
17 Harrison Barnes (USA)‎ 212
18 Ondrej Balvín (CZE)‎ 210
19 Ricky Rubio (ESP)‎ 210
20 Nicolas Batum (FRA)‎ 209

We've got the top 2, and 3 of the top 5.
Minutes down, effectiveness up, is what it needs to be for Tokyo.
If everyone is healthy & available that won't be a problem.

Reply #763264 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

That stat highlights it. Our guard rotation was far too taxing on those 3. Add Simmons and Exum to that rotation, whether we retain Goulding or not, and it will make a big difference.

I had assumed that Martin was not available or retired, but I tend to agree that he may have been useful in this World Cup. It's too much to expect Delly's high level of defensive tenacity to be maintained for 244 minutes in 8 games while also running the offense for most of the time.

Reply #763273 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

"Said it before and I'll say it again, Boomers should have taken Damien Martin to back up Delly minutes, plays the same aggressive D, plays team orientated basketball, doesn't turn the ball over much. That Sobey spot was wasted. would have given us an option to lock down a guard and to bench Delly when he was playing shit."

Martin and Lisch would have been able to provide back up minutes.

Delly when pressured couldn't get the offense until late in the shot clock.

Reply #763297 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Pretty simple. Replace the coach with one who is international quality. Why pick an NBL coach when we have lots of NBA players. Maybe we need to look at hiring a non Australian- many other countries have non nationals coaching including Spain.

Reply #763324 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus says now there's some thinkin' JR

Reply #763326 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

"We give the ball to Dante Exum and Ben Simmons, and delly sits on the bench."

I love Delly. He's an NBA champion for a reason. And his games in his first NBA finals appearance are legendary.

But he cannot create shot for himself when the defense is locked on him. Hopefully we get Simmons and Exum who can create better shots for themselves and others..

FWIW... I'd be happy seeing Delly come off the bench if Exum comes good after this latest injury

Reply #763362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What if we got Pop and Kerr? They're fantastic NBA coaches who took an all-NBA roster to 7th.

Reply #763366 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

Fatigue was definitely on of the major issues. Ingles was clearly cooked in the Spain game. Against France he tried to get himself up and had a real crack in the first half but died after that.

The reality is that we didn't have a squad with the depth to be able to rest these guys and it cost us.

I also think we need to understand that this particular group have had their chances and have repeatedly come up short. If we go back to the same well in 2020 we will be very disappointed with the outcome.
That doesn't mean they aren't in the team - they are, but they no longer demand the majority of the minutes. For instance I'd like to see Delly and Ingles play off the bench. They can come in, pinch hit and cause issues for the oppositions second units.

Of course that requires us to find replacements for both that are willing to play, but I think once it comes to Olympics it will happen.

Right now my starting 5 for Olympics would be;

Simmons
Mills
Broekhoff
Maker
Baynes

Long team, that surrounds Simmons with players capable of shooting the 3 ball.

My bench;
Gliddon (jokes)

Actual bench;
Delly
Ingles
Exum
Landale
Bolden
+anyone else that proves they can shoot over the next 8 months...

I wouldn't take Bogut - he's a loose cannon we don't need and between Maker, Baynes & Bolden should cover most of the centre roles required.

Reply #763373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Main guys were running on fumes at the end. A deeper bench that can keep the score ticking over allowing more rest for the studs. Simple.

Reply #763379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good back-up PG. That's all we were short. Thankfully, we can add that and more for Tokyo.

Reply #763380 | Report this post

Ratbag  
Years ago

Besides all the glaring mismanagement by the Australian coach who needs to be relieved of his duty immediately we have a serious psychological problem throughout OZ basketball.
During all the lost games that counted over the past years there has been a recurring theme and it stems from the disgusting attitude that is imprinted on all Australian juniors to not behave in a manner that is selfish, loud, arrogant, tough, egoistic etc etc etc. By taking away over years the killer instinct we create useless players when it counts. How come we have so few great guards in Australia that can do the do when its necessary, how come our big men can not even take the shot never mind making it, how come we are being destroyed in these games by over passing and all this selfless hectic madness?
If you want to win then you need to have a killer instinct and that comes from special types of players who when they go out on the court they go out to destroy the opposition. That is REAL basketball and not this lame pansy BS that has become entrenched in OZ basketball. I remember when I played (1970-80s) that we had some really nasty players, they were great, they were hated but they produced when it counted and if there was no blood then there was no foul attitude. By turning all our young boys into neutered woosses we get what we deserve. Grow up Australia and bring back the MANLINESS into the sport. That will mean that the referees will need to be TOLD to stop with the over officiating and all the technical foul BS.
But hey, I know this is not going to happen so thanks OZ basketball but my sponsorship is GONE.

PS The way we are going we will never get beyond this mess so time to radically change the attitude and that goes for the entire nation. Australia is a sad little want to be nation in the big picture of the real world and I am so glad that I do not live in that lost continent any more.
I remind you that the tiny nation of Slovenia beat the living daylights out of OZ only a few years ago. That should have told you something then but guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED. The dinosaurs that run OZ basketball need to be shoved from their positions and totally new blood and directions need to be undertaken.

Reply #763462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ wow... that's a diatribe

Reply #763465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ratbag,

The rugby World Cup hasn't started yet, think you got your sports mixed up. Maybe you want to lay off booze for a while.

Reply #763483 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That will mean that the referees will need to be TOLD to stop with the over officiating
Ah, you know it's a great plan when it involves needing to change the rules!
neutered woosses
I take it you don't follow Bogut on Twitter, know of Delly's NBA reputation, see Ingles' constant trash talking, know what Baynes does on court, follow Mills' play in the tournament? Do you remember this team being involved with a serious brawl? Maker's fly kick?

Reply #763484 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus reiterates his disappointment at the behaviour of this team at times

Tanking
Removing court decals without authorisation
Brawling
Publicly admonishing referees and accusing FIBA of conspiracy
Trash talking
Disrespecting 'lesser' opponents

All under the current coaching and leadership's watch
Without justification, cause they don't win

They don't seem overly 'nice' to the Ballmus

Reply #763492 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Granddad, stop posting on hoops, you're embarrassing me and yourself

Reply #763496 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Grow up Australia and bring back the MANLINESS into the sport."

Do you realize you are talking about a group of NBA players that are constantly labelled dirty and rough in the NBA? They are the infamous hard screeners, the scrappy defenders, or trash-talkers. Do you realize that this is a team that even the Lithuanian coach complained that the refs let them play too rough? (There might've been some response to that from the refs in subsequent games). Complain all you like about our lack of offensive guard talent, which surely is related to talent being drawn into other sports, but it's players like Delly, Baynes and Bogut that have physicality as a trademark of their game.

"I remind you that the tiny nation of Slovenia"

Look at the talent coming from Slovenia: Goran Dragic, Beno Udrih, Rasho Nesterovic, Bostjan Nachbar, Anthony Randolph, Uros Slokar, Sasha Vujacic. Then there is a little known player called Luka Doncic. You might have heard of him. Slovenia didn't even qualify for the World Cup. Some might say this indicates the high standard of competition in Europe.

Australian basketball ain't all that you seem to think it is, on a world scale. Top 4 is a great result for Australian basketball for this World Cup. I don't understand how people still don't appreciate this. This is the first time we achieved that outside of the Olympics. That means it was the first time without being handed an affirmative action regional spot alongside other minnows also given affirmative action by FIBA, which means there were just 8-9 quality opponents in the tournament, such that we really just needed one upset against a quarter-finalist to go top 4. In this World Cup, we seriously earned that top 4 spot the hard way advancing through two really tough group stages undefeated, then rewarded with the easiest quarter-finalist opponent.

Reply #763503 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

By the way, just on Slovenia, I forgot to mention they won Eurobasket as recently as 2017.

Reply #763505 | Report this post

Ratbag  
Years ago

Noticed some flaming responses to my post but again it interesting to note that not one of you addressed the main points in my statements. Typical! Attack me but do nothing about the problem. So funny to see. The problem for you people is that the system as it stands was one of protecting the lead and that is a disaster almost every time. No one wants to shoot because deep inside their psyche they have been neutered. They have the amazing inability to put the nail in the coffin of the opposition and that dear people is the truth whether you like it or not. In that crucial time of a game you need players to show the killer instinct and not a single player showed that. WHY? As I said the coach is a fool for starters but you can not blame just him. If you want to have players who can do the job you got to instill in them right from the beginning that it is not a game but war and you go out to win. Each player needs to be totally willing to take the shot. NO FEAR!
And as I SAID THAT SEEMS TO BE A NATIONAL PROBLEM WITH THE YOUTH OF THE NATION. LOTS OF BOISTEROUS YAHOOING BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE CRUNCH THEY FAIL

Reply #763782 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think there is 'some' truth to what Ratbag is saying to some extent, not so much in "manliness" but the players we produce tend to be basketball robots of the Adam Gibson mould - solid, unspectacular, able to run a system very well, disciplined, but struggle to create anything on their own.

When you have 10 or 11 guys who fit that description on a national team, you have moments like the end of the France game when Patty Mills was being denied the ball and no one else had the balls to make a play for themselves. It wouldn;t hurt if some of our guys took after Patty and Goulding just sometimes in that respect. I mean, we had Joe Ingles forgo taking an open lay up to pass the ball out of bounds.

"Tanking
Removing court decals without authorisation
Brawling
Publicly admonishing referees and accusing FIBA of conspiracy
Trash talking
Disrespecting 'lesser' opponents

All under the current coaching and leadership's watch
Without justification, cause they don't win

They don't seem overly 'nice' to the Ballmus"

The tanking is something every European team has done, but for some reason becomes an issue worth investigating when it appears Australia did it.
Brawling, well, I am not sure how you can blame Australia specifically for that. Daniel Kickert is a fucking dickhead but they did start it by tripping players at the half court line.
Decal - meh. Apparently they needed to train on the court and that was in the way. I don't know the specifics.
Trash talking. They wouldn't be the first team on planet earth to do that but if it gets them in the zone, fair play.
Publicly admonishing referees. Well this I don't agree with. Talking about conspiracies and the like doesn't exactly get us calls or respect from FIBA. In fact it could prove to have the opposite effect. We might need to start licking ass if we want those important last-minute calls.
Direspecting 'lesser' opponents. Depends how you mean?

The Boomers haven't been choir boys and I don't like some of what they do but this comes back to a team having an ego. To be successful in basketball you need to have that ego and I wouldn't want to knock it out of them.

Reply #763812 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I also think we need to understand that this particular group have had their chances and have repeatedly come up short. If we go back to the same well in 2020 we will be very disappointed with the outcome."

2016 Boomers were a referees call away from Bronze. 2019 Boomers were fatigue away from gold medal game. I'm not sure they've come up short enough that we should completely restructure how we do things. We are one of only two teams to have made the medal rounds over the past two tournaments and our recent success has seen us ranked 3rd in the world by FIBA. It may not have come to a medal just yet, but it aint "broke".

Ben SImmons, Ryan Broekhoff, Thon Maker, Dante Exum. These guys with their length, athletcism and pedigree alone can elevate the Boomers to the medal dias.

My team for Tokyo -

Matthew Dellavedova
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Ben Simmons
Aron Baynes

Dante Exum
Bryce Cotton (or Goulding if not naturalized)
Ryan Broekhoff
Thon Maker
Andrew Bogut
Nick Kay
Mitch Creek

The ability to interchange the guards and small forwards without losing much will be the difference for the team, then you have Simmons who can play and defend any position. Nick Kay and Mitch Creek come in for that effort and intensity. Nick Kay's work on the boards should not be overlooked, nor his penchant for getting himself in the right place. Mitch Creek was great as a lockdown defender and could be used as a specialist off the bench at this role. Ideally the team would generally go 10 deep, but in that 10 you have ample rest for ALL positions, not just the bigs.

As for why Bolden isn't there, Bolden might take Kay's spot if he makes ammends but I don't think he instantly deserves starter minutes. Landale fell apart during the actual tournament so isn't a shoe-in for me. Certainly has the potential though but I wouldn't throw him in above anyone listed yet. Adel hasn't proven enough to me to make it. Josh Green not there because we haven't seen enough from him yet.

Reply #763815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" They have the amazing inability to put the nail in the coffin of the opposition and that dear people is the truth whether you like it or not. In that crucial time of a game you need players to show the killer instinct and not a single player showed that. WHY? "

Because you haven't seen Mills play for the Boomers prior to the medal games?

Reply #763824 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754