Isaac
Years ago

Webster and Breakers disagree on buyout

Webster and his Turkish suitors offered a $125k buyout to the Breakers. Breakers ask for $250k..

Matt Walsh says: "Corey is like having an extra import and he's too important to our team to let go at this point. We have told Darüşşafaka and his agents the number that it would take and they haven't been willing to go there."

I've been told that number is $250,000 USD
No issue with wanting compensation to disrupt your team on the eve of the season, but is Webster the sort who will be at his best when forced to stay and play? Not suggesting he'd throw a season, but he's had down-seasons after drama before.

Topic #45918 | Report this topic

Steven  
Years ago

Not good for NZ having a disgruntled player on the team.
If Webster did go are they better off upgrading Henry with a gun import and signing a young local.

Reply #763569 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Webster will just chill and not work/turn up if you don't let him walk.

The Breakers thou will need the cash to upgrade the roster so understand why they are standing firm on this one.

Reply #763571 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This is just negotiating via the media. The Breakers will end up taking a lot less than $250k as they know what a disruptive influence Webster can be.

Reply #763572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster will play for the Breakers and play well, because if he doesn't, that money will dry up from overseas if he has another bad season. What you all have to understand is, Webster was looking at an opportunity, and isn’t actually disgruntled.

He will move on, as the money he is on in NZ is the same as the Turkish offer anyway. No team in their right mind would give him up this late in the season.
Would SEM say, ok Mitch Creek you can go play in Turkey a week out from the season with no prior warning? This is very different from the Creek Vs 36ers beef.

I’m all for players seeking opportunity, just not this late unless it’s an NBA call up. Matt walsh also said he’d entertain a large contract, not a side step move. It seems most people are looking at this as blocking a player, when in reality it is more of a logic decision.

Reply #763577 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He must've got a few offers after his World Cup performances which seemed much better than his recent NBL seasons on paper.

Reply #763585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What provisions are in place to cover the loss of a local player before the season starts? It really screws a team over. NBA out clauses are obviously disappointing for the team but understandable.

Reply #763587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd take the $150k. Cut the weakest import. Throw the Rusbatch guy into the roster on minimum and then get a strong import with (150+coreysalary+weakimport-minRusbatch).

Reply #763589 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"This is very different from the Creek Vs 36ers beef."

Why is this different from the Creek situation? 36ers wanted money, NZ wants money. Only difference is it looks like 36ers didn't have a contract in place to warrant the money.

It is a common practice in Europe.

Reply #763593 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"He will move on, as the money he is on in NZ is the same as the Turkish offer anyway."

No its not.

He's literally said in an open interview last week that the offer in Turkey was "way more" than what he is currently on (which I was shocked he said).

I don't think any player in their right mind would openly say that if it weren't true. Players dont want to be seen to be money-hunrgy so can't imagine they'd make it up.

I'd suggest its significantly more than double what he is on here.

Reply #763595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac. Sek Henry is apparently a gun. Him and Webster won't co exist anyway.

Reply #763596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have just signed rusbatch

Reply #763597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why is this different from the Creek situation? 36ers wanted money, NZ wants money. Only difference is it looks like 36ers didn't have a contract in place to warrant the money. "

You answered your own question. Webster is under contract. Creek was not. Adelaide was not even Creek's last team, having signed in Germany. Vastly different.

Reply #763598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson, you obviously don't understand how contracts work. Corey is under contract, Creek was not. It’s also not "common" place in Europe unless the buyout is paid as requested by the team eg: Jacob Wiley.

MacDub, the NBL is a 6month season as opposed to 9/10 months. Per game, his NZ contract is actually more. Secondly, he can get great money in a place like China at the conclusion of the NBL season.

Reply #763601 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"MacDub, the NBL is a 6month season as opposed to 9/10 months. Per game, his NZ contract is actually more. Secondly, he can get great money in a place like China at the conclusion of the NBL season"

Then why would he offer to pay $100k USD out of his own pocket to secure the buyout. Because that's what he did.

Reply #763603 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Also, the NBL is not a 6 month season.

By the time they have to report for pre-season (unless on national duties) to the end of season finish date, it would be more like 9 months.

It's from July/August to end of March roughly from what I know/see.

Reply #763605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i agree with Isaac

Take the money, sign Rasbautch, and upgrade the import

Given Hopson is ex NBA, Henry is MVP of Israel league and familiar with the coach,

Might be better for team chemistry to not have Webster and Henry fighting for minutes all season in some ways too

Replace the import big, who sounds like more of a role player, with a star import big, another Shawn Long type, owners might be able to put the 150k in their pockets and just use Websters salary to achieve this too.

This would leave you

Long 2.0
Delaney
Hopson
Henry
Hampton

Loe
Ater Majok
Abercrombie
Rausbatch
Weeks

Still a very solid 10

Reply #763606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They've already signed Rusbatch as a NRP whatever that is, non-rostered player?

Reply #763607 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They spending a heap of money on RJ Hampton who will add no value to actual performances come the season so perhaps cut him and load up on a gun import.

Reply #763608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Twitter:

Tom Abercrombie out for up to three weeks for the Breakers with a quad tear. Ethan Rusbatch promoted to the full-time squad for the season now. IF Webster was to go (big if), Rusbatch would be the guy who would essentially replace him.

I wouldn't want a player on the team who was willing to pay $150k to not be there. Even if he thinks he's over it and willing to contribute professionally, the reality won't be 100% of his best. Risk is that it's far worse and rubs off on teammates. Bad chemistry will kill a team.

Reply #763610 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

The nbl pay for hampton. The breakers simply footbthe bill for accom etc.

Reply #763611 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

NBL won't let a next star player go.

Reply #763613 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Breakers are such a mess. Webster effectively killed their season last season with his disinterested play and he's looking like he's going to do it again.

Reply #763614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know. I think he's giving them a pretty good out here. Take the $150k and be happy, IMO.

Reply #763617 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I reckon this is more Webster's agent than Webster himself.

Reply #763619 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What are the Breakers doing?

For the sake of $125k they are willing to jeopardise the whole season?

Let Webster go, get 12 guys on the Roster who are hungry and want to be there.

Reply #763620 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They spending a heap of money on RJ Hampton who will add no value to actual performances come the season so perhaps cut him and load up on a gun import.
Hampton takes up 0% of the salary cap, 0% of the roster spots and a tiny amount of the budget.

Reply #763621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, you're very wrong. Secondly, the reports about the 100k or even 150k outclause are false. 70 is the number

Reply #763622 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Hampton takes up.... a tiny amount of the budget"

This is if you believe the NBL line from a year ago about the Next Stars all being paid $100k directly from the league. They haven't said that this is no longer the case, but they haven't really reiterated that is how the program works either, which considering the other changes to the program (which went un reported until it was unavoidable to report) I would be very unsurprised if this hasn't also changed.

There was a lot of speculation about what Hampton (and later Melo) was getting as part of his deal with figures of up to 500k quoted. Considering one of the Next Stars is also a draftee, who tend to be able to command good contracts OS, I would be surprised if none of them are getting more than $100k and that the team's aren't paying the overs.

Reply #763627 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Cram

Agreed, but we can't ignore the third party payments from clothing etc sponsors. Remember the under armour (?) deal of Fergusen? Would a sponsor pay more money to a player in an emerging market (eg China) or an English speaking market? I’m not sure. But a league perceived as challenging, but still with opportunities for minutes and highlights, would definitely appeal. I think both Fergusen (pre next star) and Bowen had that environment, allowing them to build highlights reels for scouts and gain exposure in English language YouTube hits.

Reply #763631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was tremendous the other day.

Reply #763958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hampton is on 1.2 mill

Reply #763962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1.2 million.

Don't think so wanker.

Reply #763964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun:

The relationship between Webster and Breakers owner, Matt Walsh, has been mended, according to people with knowledge of the situation, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Reply #764255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754