LC
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood - possible return to basketball

"I have always said I would love to play basketball one day, and the best-case scenario would be to play in Tasmania," Greenwood said.

“Whether that's with the Chargers or whether that’s with a new Tassie NBL team, that remains to be seen, but it’s no secret that whenever I’m done [with AFL] that will be what I plan to do.

More: Tasmanian NBL team could drive Hugh Greenwood's basketball return

Topic #45920 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Can't have your cake, etc.

Just more evidence that College Ball is wasting 4 years of your life.

He's been lucky to develop a decent AFL career, but he started 5 years too late. He's managed 50 games, but will be 28 next season. He wants a long-term deal, but not surprisingly the Crows won't offer that to a 28yr old 2nd string player.
Spitting the dummy and threatening to go back to Basketball won't help.

He should be good for 2~3 more years in AFL, maybe get to 100 games. Not bad for somebody who didn't start until they were 25.

But the idea that an NBL team would then pick him up is fanciful.

Reply #763632 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I think he just gave a diplomatic answer re: being positive about Tassie NBL team.

I don't think it's an actual plan.

Reply #763634 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

He seems to be an inconsistent performer in footy. Was he consistent in bball?

He may get an opportunity in bball if:
1. He returns to Tasmania (he mentioned Chargers so he's open to a lower level); or
2. The Crows enter a commercial relationship with the 36ers (they already do baseball, and an esports team in Sydney).

Reply #763635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man there are some serious idiots here. AFAIK Greenwood is out of contract and is being chased at around $700k.
Adelaide afaik have already offerred him a 2 year deal and I beleive he wants a 3 year deal.
Dazz is wrong again/still and Greenwood said this in the article that Dazz clearly hasn't read.

""I can say college was the best four years of my life, so for them to pass up college and come to Australia and know this is the next step in their development to make the NBA is huge."

Try and comment on things you may know about Dazz rather than comment on stuff that is totally out of your depth of knowledge.

Reply #763638 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Add Greenwood to the long list of players that would love to see Lemanis gone

Reply #763642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

700k dream on, maybe 700k for three seasons, he's barely in the top line. Any player in the bottom half of an afl list get paid a lot less than the top half. There is salary cap in the afl and it enforced. Top five in club take at least a third of the cap.

Reply #763645 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah Anon, if you think Greenwood is being offered $700k, then I have some harbourside reality you might be interested in. LOL
That would put in the top 7~8% of earners. ROFL

As for him enjoying College, yeah as I said that just shows the lack of forethought and planning.

If he'd spent that time playing AFL, he'd not only be a lot better off, but might actually be worth the long-term contract he's chasing.

If College pays off with an NBA contract, then it's time well spent.
Or at the other end, if you've got no chance of any kind of professional career, then I'm sure its a great experience.

But for somebody like him, with a limited window to make a few bucks, I don't think it was teme well spent

Reply #763658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEN SA's Kym Dillon says that the management of Adelaide midfielder Hugh Greenwood is shopping him around for $750,000.

Dillon’s co-host and veteran journalist Michelangleo Rucci is hearing that the Gold Coast Suns have put an offer in front of the former basketball player that "he can’t refuse".

“I have categorically heard, categorically, it’s not too often I come out and say this is a fact, that his management are trying to shop him around for $750,000 on the basis of one good year.”

Reply #763661 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

AFAIK Greenwood is out of contract and is being chased at around $700k.

He's not being chased. That's what he wants to stay at the Crows a 3-4 year deal at around $750k per year and as he's not in the Crows best 22 they're not interested. Good luck to him if he thinks he can get that at another AFL club.

Reply #763664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol his manager can say he's worth two million, don’t mean he’ll get it.

Reply #763666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can probably get it at Freo. They love paying overs.
Eagles offering only $400k but with an illicit substances package worth another $150k

Reply #763667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah Anon, if you think Greenwood is being offered $700k, then I have some harbourside reality you might be interested in. LOL"

Unfortunately Dazz you have no grip of realty.

Reply #763671 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This despite frequenting home opens every weekend.

Reply #763678 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Reply #763689 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I highly doubt an AFL club would fork out 700K for him.

Reply #763690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people comment on something they know nothing about.
This from the Herals Sun recently.

"Three-year contract offer would be enough for Victorian clubs to land Adelaide midfielder Hugh Greenwood
Hugh Greenwood isn't asking for a contract beyond $700,000 as has been speculated, but Victorian clubs are aware of the contract length which could seal a deal for the Adelaide midfielder."
Just sit in the corner and STFU please people like Dazz and others here.

Reply #763704 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Players get overpaid all the time in AFL so it wouldn't surprise me if he got between 500-700k, if a team has a need, are in the premiership window and a player is wanted by multiple clubs they will get close to their asking price. I think his comments about playing NBL are when he's finished with AFL, not right now, prob in another 2-3 years.

Reply #763720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got 3 years before 30. I see him switching to nbl at around 31 and playing in tas for 3 years.
Assuming the talent level in the nbl grows, he might be the backup pg.

Reply #763725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you believe something you read in the herald sun, Sloane would be happy with 750g a year. If players of Greenwood talent get that sort coin salary caps would be 30 million not 12-14 that they are.

Reply #763732 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While Voldemort is helping to select the new Crows coach.
Ya caint look at him for too long.

Reply #763737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I am happy with the HS story. It's not the only source that quotes those figures either. But clearly you aren't interested in what in all reality is probably a spot on article.
If you don't like the press etc are you doing here. There is little truth here. Just saying.

Reply #763739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HS story you can be happy with but anyone with any idea knows it a long way off the mark. Just work out if a player that is about rank 25 in a 44 man roster is earning that money where there salary cap would be. A lot of better players would be earning less and be disgruntled, no wonder the team exploded.

Reply #763742 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I can say college was the best four years of my life, so for them to pass up college and come to Australia and know this is the next step in their development to make the NBA is huge."

I think he's trying to help out basketball and the NBL, more than reflecting upon his own experience at College.

He could have a had a pro (NBL level) career with Perth. Boomers representation would have helped future contracts. He changed to footy when that didn’t happen.

But big, strong midfielders are always valued in modern footy. He’s been an impact player at times, but not consistent enough for mine. A lot of footy players get paid overs, based on potential or “x factor". Maybe he’s in that boat?

Reply #763750 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

I received a pair of socks and had all intentions to wear them to promote company A.

Only to be offered a pair of stockings that fit nicely from company B.

I took the stocking and decided they were best for my brand.

I know I should return the pair of socks and say thanks but I have decided that stockings are what I want more.

Right.

NO.......

I kept the socks.

There was a little something extra inside the big toe of the socks nobody was to know about. So I told company A, you can have them back.... But I would be forced to inform the apparel board of the big toe's contents.

Now...Do you really want them back? ;)

I never returned the socks and kept the extra from inside the big toe. fcuk them i will never need them anyway ;) - socks went in the trash.

I went out last Friday night and got a run in my stockings, company b and I are parting ways.

mmm, will company A or another socks supplier work with me again?

Reply #763755 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

^^^ WTF?

While Voldemort is helping to select the new Crows coach.

You've got to be kidding me.

Reply #763767 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's right - he's on a four man committee to select the new coach

Reply #763771 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"My name must not be used. Of all my dear relations, I love myself the most."

Reply #764250 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754