Isaac
Years ago

G League to experiment with free throw change

On shooting fouls, the fouled player will attempt a single free throw worth one, two or three points (depending on the foul situation - made bucket, normal attempt, or three-point attempt).

The rule won't apply in the last two minutes of regulation or overtime periods.

Interesting move.

Topic #45965 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

It's going to make free throws an interesting stat to track. FT1M, FT2M, FT3M, etc.

Reply #764885 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

assume they'd track it the same way on box scores. 2/2 make, 0/2 miss. Might throw percentages out a little, though it will all come back to the mean.

Reply #764886 | Report this post

Rod  
Years ago

Hmm I wonder how the boxscore will look - 1/1 or 3/3 for a FT worth 3pts? or like above FT1M FT2M FT3M - interesting.

I dont hate the rule change. We use it at practice all the time to just speed things up. Thats what the change is all about

Reply #764888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, true. I think it's an interesting thing to experiment with, and no better place to try it than the G League. Hard to see it making it's way to the NBA though.

Reply #764889 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"...to just speed things up. Thats what the change is all about"

Seems odd to not use it in the last 2 minutes if it's about speeding things up. That's when the most stoppages tend to happen, particularly with tactical fouling towards the end of close games.

Reply #764891 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Apply it across the board including last 2mins

Reply #764893 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I assume And Ones are still just worth the one? Surely isnt And 3 or whatever...

Reply #764895 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"I assume And Ones are still just worth the one? Surely isnt And 3 or whatever..."

I think if you have a think about your question you'll see the answer. An "and" can't be anything but 1

Reply #764899 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

The initial post clearly indicates that after a made shot there will be an
'and one', after a foul on a missed two point attempt there will be a single free throw worth two points if made and after a foul on a missed three point attempt there will be a single free throw worth three points of made.

So no more 'sighters' with a pay off of 1/2 or 2/3, it's all or nothing.

Might 'save time' but will certainly increase the pressure on players shooting free throws and the value of having good free throw shooters.

Actually, looking a little deeper, might also increase the incentive for players to make every effort to finish the shot rather than simply go through the motions with the aim of going to the line.

Reply #764901 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, because free throws are so boring

next they will replace "the stripe" with a trampoline and allow players to take a run up,
with judges awarding extra points for style

Reply #764905 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yes please let's do that

Reply #764907 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As long as Elle McFeast isn't one of the judges.

Reply #764940 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Great initiative from the league. Keep the action going. There are already too many elements of the game that interrupt the action.

More action equals more entertainment. This is the key to improving tv ratings in Australia.

Reply #764955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe instead of shooting for Cheeseburgers,
they could shoot using Cheeseburgers?

Reply #764959 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Player makes the free throw and gets a cheeseburger?

Now that would be incentive.

If he had to finish it before continuing... that would be interesting to watch

Reply #764963 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Who cares it's wannabes playing for chump change.
Not interested!

Reply #764971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would not be allowed in last 2 mins or overtime to stop the 'hack-a-shaq' scenario. Definitely puts more pressure on players and can exploit the players who struggle from the line.

Reply #765474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754