Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers sign Brandon Ashley

Immediate replacement for Chris Obekpa

https://twitter.com/NZBreakers/status/1178230437577031681

Topic #45976 | Report this topic

cosby  
Years ago

Very good pick up. Should slip into the 4 spot and ater majok at the 5. Meanwhile the kings will rely on a 6ft 4 jesean tate to gaurd him in the post lol.

Reply #765155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent pick up.

Reminds me of when they got Shaun long last year. Personally I thought Long was a poor player (defense) so hopefully Ashley plays solid D.

I thought the breakers looked good at pre season. The most impressive thing I saw was Shamir clearly agitated when Weeks dribbled up and launched a contested 3 early on in the set. Braswell encouraged that nonsense. Weeks is a good player but they need him to distribute.

Hampton, weeks, Henry, Webster
Webster, Henry, weeks
Hopson, Abercrombie, Henry
Ashley, Delaney, Abercrombie
Low, majok, ashley

Plenty of depth. Far more balance.

Reply #765164 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's definitely a strong looking squad. Ceiling depends on the imports and Webster carrying over his FIBA form. Majok is a real wild card too, based on preseason.

Reply #765219 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Makes more sense. Rob Loe fits well as a floor-spacing 5, especially with Ashley offering athletic defence with a funky offensive game. Given Delany was the clear weakness on the starting lineup, great to see we've addressed it.

Reply #765299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks slow.

Reply #765307 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He may end up being a better fit.

6.9" and a bit more solid than Obekpa with some range.

Reply #765309 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Why are we jumping to conclusions about Breakers starting five after this announcement? Have NZ said that's how it'll be?

Ashley is an NBL five with the 7'3" wingspan, ability to get on the glass and protect the rim.

Delany would fit even better at four next to Ashley than he would have with Obekpa. That much is intuitive. Delany will now be a scoring threat

Reply #765314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delany had some big games last year. Towards the end of the season he was out performing Tai Wesley.

I agree he hasnt been much rub so far this season. If his game picks up. Wow.

Also they have lost a terrible defensive presence in Long who basically was so bad at man to man they had to play zone.

Reply #765317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Walsh has said Ashley will play center. But I can see him playing a bit of the 4 too. He looks comfortable on the perimeter. I guess it gives the Breakers some offensive versatility whereas Obekpa didn't offer much at all. It'll also be helpful if it takes Delany some time to get his game going again and they can play Ashley at the 4. Hopefully, it doesn't take long. He was a one-man wrecking ball in the fourth quarter against Turkey.

Reply #765327 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754