Chargers to return next NBL1 season
Not sure where this should go Category wise but the Hobart Chargers look set to resurrected next NBL season.
Sorry Paywall restricted.
Here is the article from The Mercury.
"THE rebirth of the Hobart Chargers is almost complete with the club submitting its application for entry into the NBL1 next season.
The Chargers, with support from Basketball Tasmania, put in their submission on Monday with Basketball Victoria and should have a positive answer in about a week whether the state's capital will have representation in the men’s and women’s NBL1 league next year.
After a previously turbulent history between the pair that saw the Chargers withdraw due to untenable relationship with the governing body, BT chief executive Chris McCoy said the Chargers had the backing of the state association.
But he said it would be a different Chargers to the one that soared to the SEABL men’s championship in 2018, especially with the likelihood of the state returning to the NBL either next year or the year after.
"It is best to be set up as a development-style program rather than import five players say," McCoy said.
“It will still obviously represent the city but gives an opportunity for our boys and girls coming through to play for the Chargers, especially with the NBL looking really positive, it is important we have that development pathway piece with some good strong imports around them to remain competitive and hopefully have some success at some stage.”
Prior to the rise and fall of the Southern Huskies, the Chargers played out of the Derwent Entertainment Centre, but may have to set up camp at the Kingborough Sports Centre if the DEC is undergoing a multimillion-dollar upgrade for a Tasmanian NBL team.
McCoy said the demise of the Huskies and the off season had given BT a chance to plan for the future
“It will give us all a good chance to ensure we are all on the same page and working together as a sport,” he said.
It has been great to step back from it all and plan for the future, you don’t always get these opportunities when the season is on and you are in the heat of the battle.
“We always wanted two teams on the floor from Hobart and we think two men’s (Chargers and North-West Thunder) and two women’s (Chargers and Launceston Tornadoes) was always the best model for the state and the Chargers has been such a strong brand so it made sense. “At this stage it is on track.”