Anonymous
Years ago

Fix the commentary

I know people from the NBL read this forum, this is beyond a joke. Go on twitter and read the displeasure from fans muting the game because it's so bad. Seb c’mon?? This guy is horrible. Bring back the stadium commentators!!!!

Topic #46005 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Costello can't possibly return for another game.

Reply #766131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Theres no emotion in the commentary and there is such a disconnect from the game... needs to be changed asap

Reply #766138 | Report this post

Bullets Fan  
Years ago

Williams and Costello are horrible, will lose viewers if they keep using them.

Reply #766139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When something is a great idea people say it loud and clear.
In saying that. I have yet to hear one commentator speak
positive about calling games from a studio.

Granted most likely we won't hear there thoughts on this studio
commentary because they are being paid by LK. But..the shear
fact they are quiet on the topics speak volume! Especially when
everyone is expressing on social media how terrible it is!

Reply #766146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always trust anyone that mentions SHEAR in a critique.

Reply #766154 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That betting segment at the end was another shitfest. Seb as host couldn't control it from becoming verbal diarrhoea.

Reply #766156 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah if they are going to do it in the studio then why only two men, you could even hand up to 4 men... which will be overkill but it's nice to hear different voices with different things to add.

I don't understand why they aren't involving the sideline reporter more during commentary, if there's an injury or pre-post game and half time interviews then that is all we hear from them. I loved the days when you'd go into the crowd and show the excitement of the punters.

So far the excitement level is less than it should be and it's driven from horrible commentators.

Homicide works best when he can bounce off another commentator with conflicting opinions.

Sorry NBL but I've been disappointed thus far and we've seen two really decent games so far

Reply #766157 | Report this post

That was awful... I have see better coverage of local lawn bowls. Please tell me it will improve ASAP!

Reply #766159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they are doing out off an office, get three or four blokes and add Gaze and Wortho who doesn't talk shit plus a good side line eye in each centre and leave it alone. To many blokes don’t no what there talking about. Fu.k I’d even except heal if he talk basketball and not shit.

Reply #766161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows you that with all the hype of Gaze being back as a commentator, which is great I must say, how badly how he has been devalued and compromised.
Equally like his Kings gig he is happy to take the money and capitulate.
Clueless as a coach and commentating from a "studio" shows how much of a compromise he has become. #aussiesbestbasketballer. #nblsycophant

Reply #766162 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seb Costello is trending on Twitter.
Any publicity is good publicity right? Right??

Reply #766169 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Clueless as a coach and commentating from a "studio" shows how much of a compromise he has become. #aussiesbestbasketballer. #nblsycophant"

What in serious fuck? You're throwing Gaze under the bus for agreeing to do what every other NBL commentator has agreed to do?

"Granted most likely we won't hear there thoughts on this studio
commentary because they are being paid by LK. But..the shear
fact they are quiet on the topics speak volume! Especially when
everyone is expressing on social media how terrible it is!"

Oh yeah, NBL and the commentary team simply must see the talk. And they must see that this is panic stations from a fan's perspective. The picture quality - terrible. Commentary - terrible. Hub - terrible. And the basketball isn't good enough to overcome those weaknesses.

My question is, has the NBL invested too much in this idea now to pull back from it? Without doubt producing directly from the games is going to be more expensive, and no doubt they've probably spent a fair chunk to get the set up they have. Is it maybe already too late to correct these mistakes? Is it maybe an IMG problem and maybe they've signed some sort of deal that means that THIS SHIT is going to be the new standard of NBL broadcast?

This is absolutely not the time to drop the ball on broadcast and production. it was not the time to do this with all the new eyes on the NBL. Production is one of the differences between bush league and top line professional league. You fuck that up and the Australian public and world will laugh at you and not give you another shot. The production and TV visual has not been good enough for a professional league. Not at all.

Reply #766170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that broadcast was embarrassing to watch

Reply #766175 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Seb Costello is trending on Twitter.
Any publicity is good publicity right? Right??

Amazing.

Reply #766181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disliked Costello as a sideline reporter last year, doubt my opinion will change this year with his promotion.

Reply #766182 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #766186 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm completely not a fan of commentating off-site, but you could have had Costello and Williams in the best seats in the house and it would have been terrible. The selection of those two was the big issue last night.

Reply #766190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does the nba do it, don't they run a central hub but have two at game commentators??

Reply #766199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There has been enormous amount of talk about the Hub Commentary and rightly
so, because it is a HORRIBLE idea!!

This shrinkage of commentators to just a few calling nbl games in basically
a room in each city at such a vital time, will hurt the game for sure.

What we are now seeing is LK strategically placing parts of the NBL in places
where he can recoup the money he's put into the NBL since taking over. He
is a business man that's invested millions of dollars in the NBL. As all
businessmen are, they want return for their investment, sooner or later.
This hub idea is one of many signs LK wants that to happen sooner!

These are the ways LK is hoping to get the return for investment;

1) Selling shares SE Mel Pheonix
2) Sell Brisbane Bullets up for sale.
3) TV Production rights
4) Build up First Ever brand vs hoping Clothing
5) Commercial Rights to Basketball Australia
6) Forcing his way to be a part of the Boomers v Team USA games
7) Multiple ways of watching NBL games domestically and Internationally
8) Kayo platform
9) 2nd NBL team in Tasmania
10) Promoting La Melo Ball & RJ Hampton part of Next Generation

The NBL owners has allowed LK the freedom to do what ever he wanted
as long as they got their annual cut and if he was willing to pay out
of his pocket. This gave him power! Power of which to where he has
now hijack the NBL and Basketball Australia!

One can only assume from dealing with the NBL thru his ownership
of mel united he thought this is one of his easiest investments to
takeover and control. And BA coming on board was a bonus.

I'm guessing he soon realized, the nbl was going nowhere fast without
an injection of money, which he has plenty. He knew Basketball Australia
office is filled with an incompetent group of people who is yet to earn respect from the corporate sector and the federal government like AFL,
NRL, Soccer and Netball to a certain extent has done.

When we start hearing parts of the NBL being sold off by LK, get prepared
for a downturn in the NBL and basketball presence in this country. The
wave the NBL owners & Basketball Australia are currently riding will come
to a halt and neither will have a plan B!

Reply #766208 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im not critisising Seb. Hes been given a brief and is learning to call the game. He's a professsional sports reporter and will improve as he gets more calls.

What im seeing with the constant issues the NBL is having with its commentators and broadcast is that after years of being ignored by the media, there is a lack of experience going around with covering basketball, and its noticeable now that the game has grown in popularity again.

None of the expert media professionals (eg the Russells, Costello etc) know the game well enough because NBL was not covered as extensively as it is now.

Carfino and Casey cant call every game unlike back in the early to mid 2000s when there was nowhere near as much coverage on offer.

The league has grown, the coverage has improved, but the media 'talent' available just arent equipped to call NBL at a level that we expect.

Reply #766209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seb could at least no the the players names and commentate the game instead of trying to get into a who's got the biggest dick talkathon with homicide. It was woeful, give Gaze and a few others and call the game. Keep it simple and on script, let the basketball speak for itself.

Reply #766211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont get what everyone is pissed about. It's a poor standard league with near on 30 imports but only a few good ones and the broadcasting matches the standard. People forget when watching rugby, footy and cricket that australia has the best league in the world in those sports but nbl is like a league poor skilled league and poorly broadcast.

Reply #766212 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"I dont get what everyone is pissed about. It's a poor standard league with near on 30 imports but only a few good ones and the broadcasting matches the standard. People forget when watching rugby, footy and cricket that australia has the best league in the world in those sports but nbl is like a league poor skilled league and poorly broadcast."

Filipino found.

Reply #766214 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm completely not a fan of commentating off-site, but you could have had Costello and Williams in the best seats in the house and it would have been terrible. The selection of those two was the big issue last night.

This.
I don't think the commentary hub concept is a guaranteed fail but so far it hasn't been given a chance to succeed.

Surely the one big advantage of having the hub is being able to regularly use your best commentary combinations, since you're not having to fly people all over the country. Another advantage would be the ability to have 3 people calling games for minimal extra cost over 2 people.
So to me there is no excuse for not having a good commentary combo each game. At least have one good play-by-play person per game!!
I don't want to hate on Williams or Costello, but calling the action is clearly not the strength for either of them. Who put them in that position and why?
I'm ok with Williams being a 3rd guy in the hub who chips in occasionally with one of the 7 talking points in his repertoire, but requiring him to keep talking for a whole game is really not good for anyone. If he's going to be a #2 guy then pair him with someone like John Casey, who can call a whole game on his own with minimal other input required. Not Seb, who might be good in time but sounds out of his depth right now.

Reply #766220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto to all the people complaining about the broadcast. Went to the opener so didn't hear it. Watched last nights game and was immediately struck but how unenthused the commentators were. They seems to be a little off the boil, which I could imagine calling a game off a TV does for you.
Hope the league writes it off as a bad investment and goes back to courtside calling.

It's a shame because I've been talking up the league to non-fans for the last few years and they'll lose people.

That being said - I freaking love the NBL. There's so many positives to this league, but they need to fix this ASAP.

Reply #766221 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754