Zodiac
Years ago

36ers vs Utah Jazz, Oct 6

The game starts in about 45 minutes time at 11:30 am Adelaide time live on NBL TV and SBS on Demand.

Boxscore will be here when game goes live:

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/scoreboard

Topic #46014 | Report this topic

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Utah are resting Mitchell, Gobert and Conley.
Disappointing but should be a fun game to watch.
Griffin played for Utah in summer league and preseason a few years back so should have some extra energy to play against them.

Reply #766371 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sold out, 18,000.

Reply #766373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch for Randle trying to prove he belongs in NBA by trying to cross over every player and possibly every coach at least once throughout the game.

Reply #766374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't find it on sbs ?

Reply #766380 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

SBS on demand on line not TV

Reply #766381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its on the SBS on demand app, not actual SBS

Reply #766382 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep Randle not lacking in confidence

Reply #766383 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Adelaide need Randle to be in FU mode to stand a chance.

Reply #766384 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

They spelt randle name wrong on the espn boxscore. He out there to prove a point.

Reply #766385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep I'm still frustrated by the table one man show.

Reply #766386 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

AC/DC during time outs !

Reply #766387 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Teys .......just why, why is he there

Reply #766389 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

We are a chance if we play our best

When have the ever called travels in the nba

Grrrr

Reply #766390 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

never seen some of these 36ers players before - but i like what i see.

Reply #766391 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

why so many travels

Reply #766392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deshon Taylor still on the team?

Reply #766393 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"When have the ever called travels in the nba"

and calling US for moving screens....

Reply #766394 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Deshon Taylor still on the team?"

Just for this game

Reply #766395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic defense, only griffin showing d.

Reply #766396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just happy to watch a game in HD

Reply #766398 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why couldn't this have been on Viceland? Popasia and the feed lol

Reply #766399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is rebounding

Reply #766401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be ashamed to be a 36 fan. To not try in s game like this... hopefully they finish bottom.

Reply #766402 | Report this post

Deso  
Years ago

Are they going to crack down on travel in NBA this year ?
There's been some picky ones which wouldn’t even get a whistle in NBL

Reply #766403 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Watch for Randle trying to prove he belongs in NBA by trying to cross over every player and possibly every coach at least once throughout the game."

He just tried to do that to Jingles and he stripped him of the ball and then just laughed him off

Reply #766404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys is f..kin terrible

Reply #766405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright constantly picks mentally weak players in his team.

Reply #766406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Teys is f..kin terrible"

I feel bad for him. Clearly he has put too much pressure on himself to impress the NBA scouts today and get himself a contract and that is taking away his usual awesomeness

Reply #766409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling so lazy, was in good shape at marquettevand got huge again.

Reply #766411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These games don't go well when the NBA teams play with any real focus. I think it's time for this gimmick to end.

Reply #766412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle will lead the league in scoring.

His team mates will have down years statically, and Adelaide will float around .500

Reply #766413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be worse, we could be down by 40 at half time against the Jazz, I mean if you're down by 40 against the Jazz you might as well give up on the season. No way you can win the championship.

Reply #766414 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

I think these games are exactly what the nba teams want.

Sydney, Melbourne and NZ have all had chances over the previous versions.

Time to end? Time for more!

Imagine if Illawarra were there this year!

Reply #766415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Illawarra was there it would benefit one player and a bunch of scouts but probably do nothing helpful for Illawarra

Reply #766417 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well played anon!

My take from this is Adelaide will need to be the most intense team in the NBL to make a run at playoffs. Tonight Utah are at a completely differently level of urgency and the 36ers have just been locked out of the game.

The other thing is how dependent they will be on Griffin, they really lack athleticism in the frontcourt outside of him. He's looked pretty impressive though, particularly on D.

Reply #766418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An aging Johnson and a lazy froling. Add old teys, a diminishing moore and Drmic.
Mcveigh hasn't improved.

Dillon the only one that has been ok, along with Griffins effort. kyei hasn’t played much

Reply #766420 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

NBA refs are so shit, how many BS travel calls have they called on us?

Reply #766421 | Report this post

Deso  
Years ago

Froling - lazy, slow, awkward, attitude

Reply #766423 | Report this post

Deso  
Years ago

How many "import" players does Adelaide actually have ?

Reply #766424 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Less than Utah ;-)

Reply #766425 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Adelaide are barely even on the court with these guys and Utah are doing whatever the hell they feel like. I thought in the first 5 minutes we might actually hang around but when the Jazz lead got to 10, I could just feel the blow out was on and this scoreline is going to get UGLY.

This does the NBL no favours. Even as a die hard NBL fan, I'm finding the league hard to take serious when I watch our guys get outclassed so comprehensively. This is men against boys out here. It is absolutely embarrassing. We've had interesting matches with lesser NBA teams. We've had a couple of competitive games. But I think it's time to throw this concept in, at least until we see a substantial improvement in the league.

Also, another thing that this highlights to me is that the 36ers have no decent Aussies. None. I don't really wanna hear about Daniel Johnson. As far as I am concerned there are 4 or 5 Aussie players in the league who could compete on that floor and Adelaide has none of them.

Reply #766426 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

NBL teams usually grab a couple of extra Americans for these games as NBA teams have much larger rosters. I remember one game a couple of years ago the Bullets had about 4-5 imports playing for them against Phoenix.

Reply #766427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teysy rocking the JAzz out there .

Reply #766428 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What makes this scoreline especially concerning is that Utah didn't play their Top 3 players.

Reply #766430 | Report this post

Deso  
Years ago

I agree with Me - embarrassing score line and with what I saw of Melbourne and Wildcats last night, it's going to be a long season for Adelaide.

Reply #766431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Normally ME is a wanker.
But your recent post is correct.
It's going to be a long season for Adelaide and I don't base that on todays NBA v NBL game.

Reply #766434 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"What makes this scoreline especially concerning is that Utah didn't play their Top 3 players."

Not concerning for me at all because the players they have playing have more to play for. Better than a half motivated Mitchell with the rest of the players doing the team thing by passing the ball to the stars and standing in the corner. These Jazz players are playing for their court time, they are hungry.

Reply #766435 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Brunson, the Jazz have played really hard today. THey've got hungry players as you say, but they would also have talked about how the Sixers ran them real close for 3/4 last year.

Reply #766438 | Report this post

Deso  
Years ago

Im not sure why I'm still watching this.

Reply #766439 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's sad seeing us get pumped by their scrubs, not sure there is much point to these games anymore.

Reply #766441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This gane started well but yikes getting very out of hand. Not a great look for the NBL. Getting very ugly for Adelaide.

Wildcats got spanked last year but that was without 2 starters in Martin and Brandt and against a pretty much full strength Jazz.

This is a full strength adelaide against a very undermanned Jazz.

Reply #766442 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Should just limited these nba games to teams like United, wildcats and kings, who would not embarrass the league

Reply #766443 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And now these refs let Jazz players get away with blatant carries lol

Reply #766444 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

jetlag and altitude

Reply #766445 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth embarrassed the league last year when they got destroyed by Denver.

Reply #766446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Wildcats would never lose to the Jazz by 40+

Reply #766447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to see adelaide players throw some of their trademark tantrums right now and start swinging and a bit of biff. Might spice this game up a bit.

Reply #766448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're almost right Zodiac but I must correct you Perth were thumped by Utah but only lost to Denver by 7 or 8.
It's irrelevant anyway, if people are using margins of loss to justify their teams efforts they're embarrassing themselves.
NBA teams will never give more than 50@% effort in these games.

FWIW Perth will shit over Adelaide this season.

Reply #766449 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth embarrassed the league last year when they got destroyed by Denver
Losing by 8 is embarrassing now?

Reply #766450 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The sad thing for me is we've seen the 36ers play better against Utah before, and Utah were even playing some of their better players. The game got away from us when we got away from our imports, and when everyone else was being way too careful and gun shy. In these games you have to let it fly to give yourself a shot. You have to back yourself, make plays and throw caution to the wind. The 36ers played scared and are in line for a morale-destroying and league-diminishing 60 point loss. I don't see any positives in doing this anymore. It disrupts the season and makes our league look second rate.

And there are SOME reasons why NBA teams do this to us beyond mere talent. We're playing their rules, their courts, their court dimensions, after flying half way across the world. 60 points probably isn't what 36ers would lose by on an NBL court with FIBA rules. But still, whatever the reasons, this is embarrassing and makes the league look FAR from the second best in the world.

Reply #766451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Should just limited these nba games to teams like United, wildcats and kings, who would not embarrass the league"

Perth had one poor performance and one good performance last year. Adelaide have played Utah twice and had one good performances and one bad. Melbourne have had one good, one ok and one poor performance in their three games.

The reality is it just depends on the day. But when the NBA team is playing a lot harder than the NBL team like today it's never going to be close.

Reply #766452 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I was replaying to Yinka Dare's silly comment that Perth wouldn't embarrass the NBL like this, they did.

No shit Perth will be better than Adelaide this season.

Reply #766453 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

A total of 9 travelling violations for the 36ers.

Reply #766454 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth did play a jazz team with three starters, gobert putting up bradleys stats is understandable, not bradley.

Reply #766455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yikes. Looks like it's going to be a rough season for 36ers fans.

36ers looked spooked.

Reply #766456 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

A 52-point loss looks bad and Adelaide looked like rubbish, but NBA pre-season often sees plenty of large margin games. Even just today the game margins were 24, 22, and 36, and these were all NBA vs NBA.

Reply #766457 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Ok, it's time to throw this NBL/NBA concept out the window now. Firstly, there is a clear talent and athleticism differential that is impossible to bridge. Secondly, we're playing on courts with court dimensions and rules that don't suit the way NBL teams are geared up to play. NBL players and teams are built to play FIBA basketball, and rules about defense in the key and rules against zones heavily disadvantage NBL teams when playing by NBA rules. So not only is there a talent divide, there are differences in the way the game is played over there that makes competing with an NBA team even more difficult. I doubt Jazz would beat the 36ers by 52 on an NBL court with NBL rules, where smaller players can cover more of the court, and where there is less space for the more athletic players to move freely, and where a zone defense could actually be effectively played. But what we have, regardless, is a 52 point loss that the world got to witness, most of which would be like "Oh, the NBL is the second best league in the world is it? HA!"

The NBL isn't the second best league in the world but it's a darn sight better than what the 36ers showed today. They were playing scared and tentative. They weren't throwing caution to the wind and just having a go at these guys. No one outside of the imports had the guts to make a move. Playing too conservatively. If the NBL thinks this is a positive promotion for the league, they're very wrong. All it does is force NBL teams to play against their strengths, to their weaknesses, on courts that don't suit them, with rules that don't suit them, and then have the best teams on planet earth pick them apart. There is nothing positive about doing this anymore. In fact, it almost borders on cruel to the teams and self destructive to the league.

Reply #766458 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh well at least Dillon showed some good signs with his speed and ability to get to the hole which will give us a different look when Randle is out and Froling was strong on the glass.

Reply #766461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide need a complete clean out. Joey should be gone and all of his assistants.

Reply #766462 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anyone that knows basketball knows the NBL isn't close to the second best league in the world that's a marketing line the NBL uses to lure the newbs in who don't know anything outside of the NBA.

Reply #766463 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Adelaide need a complete clean out. Joey should be gone and all of his assistants.

Yes because 50 points losses to an NBA team in a meaningless pre-season game couldn't possibly lead to success in the NBL?

Reply #766464 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Anyone that knows basketball knows the NBL isn't close to the second best league in the world"

The Euroleague is, everyone knows that. In terms of after that, it's the ACB but the NBL isn't too far behind. Out of interest, if you're using pre-season games against NBA teams as a measure (which we are at the moment even though it doesn't mean a lot), NBL teams have performed similarly to European teams on American soil.

The efforts by Sydney and Perth to run the games close for long periods is up there with all but the best Euroleague teams' efforts, and Melbourne's performance against OKC was one of the best of all time. OKC's previous home game against a Euroleague team was a 30-point win.

Reply #766472 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There is a big gap between the ACB and the NBL and no one is using meaningless pre-season games to gauge global basketball rankings lol

Fran Fraschilla for ESPN ranked the world's best leagues outside the NBA in December 2017 and had the NBL 12th (13th overall).

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/21691644/fran-fraschilla-ranks-world-top-basketball-leagues-nba

The NBL is a bit low on that list for mine but it's obviously no where near second best.

Reply #766482 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Lets be realistic here, every single player on that Jazz team will be better than every single player on the 36ers. If there were better Adelaide players they'd be in the NBA not Adelaide. Given that discrepancy, you’re going to be smashed.

The things that can make it closer are 1) fitness (battle ready nbl team vs inherent physicality superiority of nba players), 2) shooting percentages (sometimes you’re hot sometimes you’re not), 3) effort plays: rebounds, effort defence, 4) chemistry (ready to go nbl team vs disjointed nba team which wouldn’t reflect nba regular season)

Euroleague teams are a step above NBL for now, have big bodies and pretty elite ball movement with lockdown grit D, they’ll be stronger against NBA teams but not necessarily reflect the style of the NBA as closely as NBL would. That’s important for practice.

Reply #766489 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"There is a big gap between the ACB and the NBL"

There certainly isn't, while the top few power clubs are very good, most of that league is at NBL level.

Reply #766497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers are not going to be fun to watch this season. But the league is constantly on the up, so can't complain as more of a league wide fan, these days.

Reply #766503 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It's hard to watch the NBL immediately after a thrashing like that. It's like it puts the league in perspective in the worst possible way. Missing 3 of their best players, and playing mostly their bench, a good NBA team is about 50 points better than you. It's quite a reality check. Why the NBL would choose to continue to highlight the differential by playing these games is beyond me. It was a fun novelty when it began, now it's just a stark reminder.

Reply #766509 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hard enough after the quality of a World Cup and now Sixers stinking it up. Luckily I didn't watch this.

Reply #766512 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I agree with you ME. I hope the NBL look at these games and how much hype its generating in its 3rd year vs the way NBL teams just get out matched in every way, and see that maybe this concept has run its course.

The NBL is not gaining anything from this anymore, probably the opposite in fact.

Reply #766514 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Just wait until United Play without Prather, Goulding or Barlow... it's going to get UGLY

Reply #766521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be ugly with Prather, Goulding and Barlow playing.

Reply #766535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys plus three in just on eleven minutes, every one else minus plenty. Go the captain.

Reply #766537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

proof of what a great stat +- is

Reply #766541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It might prove that sometimes players that aren't that flashy and not stat collectors actually stabilise the team defensively.

Reply #766549 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Embarassing stuff from the 36ers. Teys made a fool of hinself and Froling wouldn't have impressed NBA scouts with his poor conditioning.

Reply #766554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe give Froling some love. He arrived only the day before -

Reply #766556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

told ya the nbl sucks and most of nbl players suck (except the imports, bogut and creek )

Reply #766565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have an ok league but it's 20 years away from being even a top 5. About 2-3 quality Aussies come in each year atm, with soon to be a higher rate leaving due to retirement. Each new team, you need about 12 new Aussies and kiwis and try and find 3 quality imports. A new tassie team will be tough to build. We would need most of the guys in Europe and a few nba dropouts in the next couple of years to sustain the league as it is.
All high major college Aussie/kiwi prospects would need to go straight into nbl instead.

Reply #766573 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Jazz is looking good for this season come playoffs. They have so much depth. They lack a Lebron / Steph type of player but their overall first 10 is likely better than most other teams.

Sixers did ok. They showed enough to be ready for their season.

Reply #766574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was fun to see NBL on the big stage. Next game

Reply #766578 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"There certainly isn't, while the top few power clubs are very good, most of that league is at NBL level."

This is part of it though. We can barely get more than a handful of functioning teams. The other leagues in the conversation for the top leagues in the world have more teams without consistently losing clubs and replacing them etc. If you're going to argue the NBL as being "up there with the best" you have to take the churn of teams into account.

Also, that we only have 9 teams means some of our teams can compete with top euro teams doesn't show we have as much talent, only that it is more concentrated.

I wish people would stop trying to pretend the NBL is a bigger deal worldwide than it is. It doesn't need to be. It just has to be the best league in Australia (and NZ), providing opportunities for local players and a good experience for Australian (and Kiwi) fans.

Reply #766620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There is churn in overseas leagues, but as teams struggle financially they have the option of dropping to lower divisions where you spent less.

Reply #766623 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Which is further proof that they have a league/structure that is on a level we are lightyears from.

Reply #766627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's an astronomical distance!

Reply #766628 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"told ya the nbl sucks and most of nbl players suck (except the imports, bogut and creek )"

It's all about context really. Do NBL players "suck". Well, compared to NBA players it appears anyone who isn't on an NBL starting 5 sucks pretty badly if we're being completely honest. But compared to anyone in this board, NBL players might as well be Lebron James.

When the gap closes between NBL and NBA players is in the rare positions where we have the height, length, speed or athleticism to counter them. For instance, Jerome Randle is not above most NBL import point guards, but he competed well with NBA players. In past years, Alex Pledger, who is not above NBL centers, actually competed well with NBA centers. Tai Wesley did also.

But NBL players who don't have any NBA level physical attribute do struggle.

Reply #766642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people with vested interest probably just want to talk the league down, enjoy it for what it is, certainly in the top five leagues in the world, which is amazing when you consider the lack of main stream media and Australia's population size.

Certainly is a lot better than that nrl rubbish that was on tv yesterday.

Reply #766647 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"enjoy it for what it is"

Kinda my point. Why do you need to keep comparing it to other leagues. It doesn't need to be the second best league in the world. It doesn't need to be in the top 10. It needs to be entertaining for Australians while providing a career path for Aussie players.

Everything else is the style over substance that simply doesn't matter.

Reply #766653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Kinda my point. Why do you need to keep comparing it to other leagues. It doesn't need to be the second best league in the world. It doesn't need to be in the top 10 "

Because true boomers fans want Australia to be the best basketball nation in the world and win FIBA world cups and Olympics gold consistently.

Reply #766684 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Kinda my point. Why do you need to keep comparing it to other leagues. It doesn't need to be the second best league in the world. It doesn't need to be in the top 10. It needs to be entertaining for Australians while providing a career path for Aussie players."

I completely disagree with this sentiment. If this were the case the league has no impetus to improve. The league could have stayed the way it was about 15 years ago, never change, reach only the lowest acceptable standard, and then that's enough. I don't buy that personally.

The league should strive to be one of the top leagues in the world. With our English speaking culture and way of life, we should endeavor to become the first and natural selection for top line imports. As for being a career path for Australians, I don't see the necessity of that being the key focus. I do some see distance consideration when it comes to nurturing talent and future Boomers, though, but that is only done by bringing the best imports and giving them the toughest possible competition.

I'd argue there are plenty of Australian players playing NBL who shouldn't be. And that them going about another line of work hurts absolutely no one. If I have to choose between Brendan Teys, a role player level import, or a young kid with potential, I'm choosing one of the latter two. I'd even argue that as the league grows the import rules need to be loosened even further.

Reply #766687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money that Brendan Teys is on is hardly going to get you a decent import. Europe has a lot of Americans playing in various leagues and a lot of the are worse than nbl players.

Reply #766688 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The problem with allowing more imports is that it encourages the import merry-go-round. Fans should have a degree of stability in name recognition.

I'd hate to see half the players of teams disappear each season, replaced by players we've never heard before. As a fan of the league, it makes it difficult to know players well. As a fan of a single team, it's good to have players you strongly identify with your team. But I might be unusual on this because I grew up following a very stable Melbourne Tigers core through the 90s.

On name recognition, this is something that I see the NBL doing well when promoting upcoming games when they show a graphic of the most well known player or player they want to promote on that team to represent that team.

Reply #766692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any role player on any NBA roster would probably dominate the nbl and be NBL MVP. There is a massive difference in playing standards.

Reply #766694 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, like when Sam Young and Johnny Flynn came here and dominated.

Reply #766696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut, a role player in the nba did
become NBL mvp.

Reply #766700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes just like in the recent World Cup. Some people got no idea.

Reply #766704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonny* Flynn averaged 17/6/4. That's top 10 in two categories. Pretty crap for one of the worst NBA lottery picks ever.

Reply #766707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think Jonny dominated in the NBL you probably weren't watching. Some former NBA players have come here and dominated, others have struggled badly, it's a broad spectrum.

Reply #766713 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Bogut, a role player in the nba did
become NBL mvp."

Gotta love statements like this that come with absolutely no context or understanding of situation. Andrew Bogut was a "role player" on one of the greatest teams of all time. He wasn't a role player on some scrub NBA team that didn't make the finals. There's a difference.

Plus Bogut's offensive abilities were barely needed in Golden State. The whole gameplan there is to get Steph Curry an open shot, and he was masterful at doing that. Steve Kerr - a man who knows infinitely more about basketball than you do - says Andrew Bogut is one of the greatest passing centers of all time.

And then when you see him need to score, he does. He did for the Boomers. He did in Milwaukee, and therefore, he was able to in Sydney. And then, when his offense is a bigger focus in Sydney than it was on a team with STEPH FUCKING CURRY AND KLAY FUCKING THOMPSON in it, yes... he got MVP. He also was All NBA Third Team and considered one of the best defensive centers in the NBA in his prime.

So yeah, "role player" tell us more you FUCKING IDIOT.

Reply #766715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Some former NBA players have come here and dominated, others have struggled badly, it's a broad spectrum. "

Former nba players are no longer in the nba because they have regressed, Any current nba player would dominate the nbl.

Reply #766716 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Jonny* Flynn averaged 17/6/4. That's top 10 in two categories. Pretty crap for one of the worst NBA lottery picks ever."

Top 10 in two categories, in a time when the NBL had about 7 teams, when the NBL's salary cap was about half of what it was, and when there would have only been about 14 imports in the league.

Again, CONTEXT BUDDY. But yeah, let's compare the NBL of 8 years ago, to the NBL of now, when approximately a dozen or more imports and Aussies have come into the league since who have been far more credentialed in the NBA than he ever was.

Reply #766717 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Former nba players are no longer in the nba because they have regressed, Any current nba player would dominate the nbl."

That's great. Make a statement that no one has any way of proving. Wonderful. Doesn't matter how any import plays now, because if they play well, it proves your point, and if they don't, you can't possibly disprove your point with it. Excellent.

Reply #766718 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sam Young played here less than six months after being Indiana's primary option guarding LeBron in the Eastern Conference Finals, and was utter trash even before he ended his season by letting Goulding go for 50 on him.

Reply #766726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you Koberulz! (Even though I disagree he was utter trash, he played well but certainly wasn't above the level of the league)

Reply #766727 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He had moments where he was alright, but for the most part he was awful.

Reply #766728 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was a star at times but did things that hurt his team at others. When he got going he was unstoppable, but for a good defender in the NBA he struggled with some of our top guys. He was an interesting character for sure.

Reply #766729 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Another thing as well is comparing NBL of Sam Young's day to now is completely unfair and the NBL is better than it was then. Who would have been defending Sam Young at times, Cam Tovey? Stephen Weigh? Both of those guys would struggle to hold down a contract today.

Reply #766731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 50+ points loss against the Jazz (without their best players). Pathetic

Reply #766732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A fit Cam Tovey would still be a very good defender in the NBL, and he also wasn't in the league that season. That was a bad example.

The small forwards the season Young was here were Ennis, Abercrombie, Creek, Tiggs, Weigh, Blanchfield and Worthington. That's a pretty decent group of players.

Reply #766735 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"A 50+ points loss against the Jazz (without their best players). Pathetic"

Yeah it doesn't look good but there are a lot of elements that combine to make that a fact.

Reply #766738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only the NBL of today was any better than the NBL of yesteryear. Still one blokes pocket money away from folding.

Reply #766747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

",He also was All NBA Third Team and considered one of the best defensive centers in the NBA in his prime. "

Bogut was a good player a decade ago. Derrick Rose was Nba mvp a few years ago, but he is not even a top 50 nba player these day. Injuries have ruined their careers. They are simply not as good compared to their primes
It does not matter which nba team bogut plays for these day, Bogut would still be a role player. The warriors drafted him into the team because they were short of a centre and bogut knows their system very well.

Reply #766748 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

You are suggesting an equivalence in the impact of injuries between a player that relied on and lost freakish athleticism with a 7-footer that relies on his high basketball IQ and high level defensive instincts? There is a reason why high IQ players tend to have longer careers. It seems that anything related to IQ might be a challenge for you to comprehend, if you are who we suspect you are.

Reply #766754 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

" It seems that anything related to IQ might be a challenge for you to comprehend, if you are who we suspect you are."

+1. Dealing with a moron whose now gone and hidden their name so any inconsistency in anything they say can never be attributed to them.

Reply #766771 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Because true boomers fans want Australia to be the best basketball nation in the world and win FIBA world cups and Olympics gold consistently."

As an Australian basketball fan, I want to watch Australian basketball players.

Australia can win medals without the NBL being the NBA G League. In fact, more opportunity for Australian players makes that even more realistic.

Our best players will always play in the NBA or Europe.

For fans who want to watch basketball, the NBL has two advantages over the NBA and Euroleague
1. It is accessible
2. It is OUR guys

Spending huge $ to bring in increasingly more American players at the expense of Aussie talent certainly hurts the second point.

Reply #766905 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Former #1 NBA draft pick Andrew Bogut gets reduced to riding the pine everytime he plays Daniel Johnson.

Reply #766910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754