Isaac
Years ago

Sleep deprivation in the NBA

IT'S THE AFTERNOON of Feb. 26, during a three-games-in-four-nights stretch, and Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside is on a roll. Tomorrow night, his Heat will host the Golden State Warriors, then fly to Houston to face the Rockets on Feb. 28. But now he's rattling off what time the Warriors game will end (10 p.m.), when they'll board their flight (11:30 or later), when they'll land in Houston (2 a.m.) and arrive at the hotel -- he figures it'll be 3 -- before playing the Rockets later that day. "And that's just what we've got tomorrow," he says.
Fatigue has long been a reality of life in the NBA, a league with teams that play 82 games in under six months and fly up to 50,000 miles per season -- roughly 20,000 more miles each season than NFL teams and far enough to circle the globe twice. Over the 2018-19 season, the average NBA team played every 2.07 days, had 13.3 back-to-back sets and flew the equivalent of 250 miles a day for 25 straight weeks.
ESPN story

Topic #46071 | Report this topic

Go Dees  
Years ago

Still plenty of time for the nba night life but tinder has helped

Gee hard to feel sorry for dudes earning that much cash

Reply #768189 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A very good read!

Reply #768193 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

They fly in private luxury jets right? Team doctor can give sleep meds

Reply #768194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would gladly swap my job with anyone of them. These people are set for life playing the sport they love, and still whinging. lol

Reply #768200 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

My heart bleeds.

It's hard to get sleep when you're banging a new broad in each city you visit.

Reply #768201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't think you were into women PW..

Reply #768202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when did the NBA become a league of whiners

Reply #768203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have they tried reading one of Dazz's posts?

Reply #768206 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

LOL. Dazz's nonsense is prescribed where Ambien fails

Reply #768210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should watch Shane Heal and 'the Basketball Show'....that will put them to sleep.

Reply #768225 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this is an increased focus as each team looks for any 1% boost it can get. I don't think they're complaining about their broader lifestyle but about impacts on their on-court performance.

Reply #768231 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Every team is dealing with the same thing so its a level playing field.

Reply #768234 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would have thought they'd still get decent sleep because with an evening start mostly, video session/shoot-around wouldn't be until that afternoon. Would think they would get an after midday start for back to back's.

And I don't think time zone difference is an issue. Back to back games and even games 2 days later are mostly on the same or very similar time-zone.

Personally think Super Rugby is one of the most physically demanding competitions in the world. It's played across so many different time zones/large travel.

Imagine travelling 30 hours from NZ to JBurg to play at 1700m elevation, then flying another 30 hours back to NZ and playing there 7 days later, then having to travel back to Jburg for another 30 hours for a game 6 days later. 12 hours time-difference too. And your body is still sore 4/5 days after each game. Painful.

Reply #768248 | Report this post

In Kobe's (really, really overrated, overpriced) Mamba Mentality book he (paraphrasing here) wrote "I want to fit in all my training, as well as my family stuff so something has to give, and I choose to sacrifice sleep". Claims he only needs a few hours, then tops it up with short power naps in his car between workouts.

Either he's super human or deliberately giving bad advice to ensure no one else can touch his accomplishments lol.

He could also have that hyper focus/awareness/drive that the greats have.

Or Vanessa's brain game so strong that he sleeps soundly after 5 hours instead of 9.

Reply #768251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some people can function well on less sleep, so it was probably a competitive advantage for him.

Reply #768260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This should help with anyone not being able to fall asleep

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/kb-to-the-rescue/

Reply #768317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I can't believe this shit. They sleep anywhere anytime. They would walk onto their private plane and sleep.
They wouldn't have to worry about bags n shit they would go to their hotel and root for their teams. ;)
Nothing to see here.

Reply #768337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 months and 50.000 miles is about 400 miles per day over 5 days. Tough gig,

Reply #768338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754