Anonymous
Years ago

Under 14's final

All Sabre Fans get to the Starplex today at 4:30 for the Under 14 Grand Final

Sturt v Dandy

Topic #4613 | Report this topic

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

Congratulations to Michelle Whitehead for being assigned to referee one of last night's semi finals, and to Vanessa Devlin for being given the bronze medal game this afternoon at the U14 Boys Nationals.

Well done girls!

Also great to see Sturt recovered from their 1st round loss (to the other grand finalists - Dandenong).

Reply #53429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many eons ago Michael Kubank from Newcastle was dunking of two feet and two hands in U14s

Reply #53447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One player from Sturt was dunking two handed during warm up last night before the semi-final

Reply #53475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt won

Reply #53502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great stuff! What about the girls?

Reply #53507 | Report this post

wayne beaumont  
Years ago

girls lost by nine - Melbourne girls coached by Sarah Nobbs - ex Pt Augusta and West Adelaide Girl

Congrats to all

Reply #53512 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Sturt boys won by four after leading at half time by 20. Was a very thrilling and nervous game. Great Work Boys

Reply #53513 | Report this post

Rodman  
Years ago

Well Doen Sturt Boy's well deserved

Reply #53517 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

Just woke up after a long night of celebration. National Champs, I don't think it has sunk in yet.

Boys did a fantastic job after the disappointment of Game 1 where we blew a 13 point 3 quarter time lead to lose by 2.

The key was all our games apart from the final we were able to get big leads early and rest our primary rotation guys for long periods. The bench guys did a great job of finishing games off. This meant we had plenty of petrol in the tank for the final.

Bad luck to Norwood who were very unlucky to be in the wrong half of the draw and also lose CC to a knee injury against us in the QF. We all hope its not too serious.

The Melbourne semi-final was probably our best performance of the year on both ends. Melbourne are a quality team who beat Dandy in the VC final a few weeks ago. We must have shot at around 60% and down the other end executed the scout against the shuffle and forcing their 2 guns into tough shots. Melbourne players and coaches were very gracious in defeat and it was good to see them win a deserved bronze medal.

Dandenong are one of the toughest, most physical and best defensive teams I have seen at this level. Their defense was brutal in its intensity, and it was a little surprising that they came out a little tentatively and we were able to get a 20 point half time lead. Their second half was outstanding, taking us out of everything we tried to do and we just had to hold on for our lives. Luckily we were able to get some big stops and control the ball for the final 2 minutes and get the club's biggest ever junior win.

Dandenong must be commended for their sportsmanship after what was a heartbreaking loss. They were well coached and managed and must have pushed Brisbane for the Fair Play award. I am sure that this is the beginning of a long and healthy rivalry.

The last time an SA club won this was us in 1973, so this is 32 years in the making. Brett Maher in 1986 and Oscar Forman and Jacob Holmes in 1995 led teams that fell at the final hurdle. That is how difficult it is to win this thing.

National Champs WOO HOO!

PS Jacob, thanks for the roast at the opening ceremony. I can now say that in ten years we haven't come a long way, just moved up one spot! Cheers!

Reply #53548 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

At last Scott, you've won it. Well done

Reply #53551 | Report this post

AJ - he actually has already won a U/14 National Championship, with a Sturt girls team back in the early 90s. Also has another Gold Medal from the Australian Clasics with the Leigh Carlson U/18 group. Very impressive!

I'm sure you would agree that you would be very hard pressed to find a better junior coach in the country....

Reply #53555 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Yes but he has been trying for a long time to win Gold in the Boys group. He is the first SA & Sturt coach in 32 years to win a gold medal in the boys division. As i said before you have done it.

Reply #53558 | Report this post

No sweat AJ. I think we are both coming from the same angle here. Well done Scotty - or should we say Coach Vader of the Evil Empire.....

Reply #53563 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

He wouldn't be Vader, more like a General

Reply #53575 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

Phil Smyth is Sturt's one General.

Mesecke is Vader because he is soooo evil but was once just like little Anni!

Seriously, if anyone has video of any of our games (especially the final) can you e-mail me on [email protected] so we can compile a DVD.

Thanks to all Sturt players, parents and supporters (and other clubs) who travelled to support us during the week and on Friday. Your support helped get us over the line.

Reply #53697 | Report this post

Rubbish Bini  
Years ago

Would love to see Mesecke enter the court for the next game he coaches in a black robe and Vader mask with the Star Wars theme playing in the background:

Dar dar dar dardadar dardadar, dar dar dar dardadar dardadar......

Reply #53703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was there an mvp for the game/tournament?

Reply #53716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go sturt

Reply #53740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

na there wasnt but the best player was josh owen thomas from sturt

Reply #53741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt rule australia

Reply #53742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which club did Sturt's best player (josh owen thomas) come from?

Reply #53743 | Report this post

Nathan Durant  
Years ago

I was sitting next to two guys from the Illawarra team Scott. One guy taped the whole game. So I'm sure that if you get in contact with their club, they might be able to point you in the right direction if nobody else has any video tape of it. Well done mate, and you thoroughly deserve the win!

Reply #53769 | Report this post

In this Evil Empire, I know he's on the other side, but Paul Rigoni would be a perfect C3PO! I mean, chrome top and glasses. Sure C3PO didn't have glasses, but he was smart!

Reply #53777 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Hey peps this is Anthony Drmic #7 from the u14s dandenong rangers side. Congrats to sturt on a great game against us and i hope to verus you again. By the way you know you guys shot 17 out of 18 shots in the first half. 94% LOL. RANGERS RULE
later

Reply #58716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony Drmic is a gimp...Ay AY AY doesnt madda

Reply #211604 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754