Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Taipans Oct 25

Sixers are looking to make it three wins in a rows as the snakes slither into the AEC. I think the last time the Sixers won three in a row there was someone looking for someone else to take the demerit points for a speeding fine. At least he's risen from the ashes. Cairns come to Adelaide after not only beating Perth, in Perth, but giving them a belting that would make any mistress jealous.

The scene is set for another good crowd at the AEC. The scene is set for a great game. Cairns are the budget team of the league and the orange army love to spread the love around. Dare I say they are overtaking Illawarra as everyone’s second team? Yeah, nah, nah yeah? Skills wise they have some talent, but the slippery snake all Sixers fans will be watching tonight is Majok Deng. He was the X factor in many a game in Adelaide with solid contributions off the bench in his games as a Sixer. Tonight will he drop a 20 point 10 rebound game? I’m thinking his athleticism will keep DJ and the boys on their toes.

From the Sixers perspective, who doesn’t love Eric Griffen? The man plays like a cat. Bonnie wee Jackie McVeigh has found Deng’s X Factor mantle and when he hits the court he has the fans on the edge of their seats.

There’s lots of reasons why either team will win tonight, so the difference will be who can make the most of their opportunities. I think the Taipans might get lost in the Sixers transition, whereas I think the loose D of the Sixers will open up the shots from outside the arc for the Taipans and for the second bite under the ring. As always, rotations and matchups are important and there’s always time to shout at Joey about why Teys and White are on the court at the same time when the Sixers need a quick 10 points. Instead of shouting at Joey, shout Scott Ninnis a beer at the game, he'll be there.

My score predictor has a scoreline of 90-89 which mean this could go either way, so I’ll say Sixers by 3

Topic #46151 | Report this topic

Yolo  
Years ago

Big test of the management this week. 7515 was the declared number at the first AEC game which I think was optimistic based on the large number of empty seats and vacant corporate boxes.

I'd have thought anything less than a sell out last game would be underwhelming.

Cairns aren't exactly a big bums on seats team so the rubber will hit the road tonight financially

Reply #770038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide (title favourites imo) should take this one with ease.

Reply #770061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a good game, can either side put two good games back to back. Adelaide probably got slightly deeper bench, Cairns bench is horrible. Adelaide by 11, or eeleven as kiwis would say.

Reply #770063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide to win 2019/20 championship.

Reply #770065 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Don't buy Ninnie a beer, buy him a glass of red wine or a scotch and coke.

Reply #770066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans by 8 and Joey to toss the jacket at the 6 min mark of the third qtr.

Reply #770089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't predict this one which is why I'm looking forward to it so much.

Reply #770098 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, toss a coin. Sixers should win, but the Taipans' imports are good enough to beat any team in the league I think.

Reply #770099 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jawai looking really good tonight! Jawai of old.

In terms of talent, I think these teams are pretty evenly matched

Reply #770127 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I feel Oliver is being overrated by fans. He's actually our least productive import, won't shoot threes near 40 per cent on the season and that's where 12 of his 22 points came from in Perth.

He reminds me of Damon Thornton with a decent jumpshot. Remember that guy?

The lads will get up tonight

Reply #770128 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Aelaie

Reply #770129 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Isn't he something, MACDUB. Maybe he's realised that retirement isn't that far away and wants to squeeze some more goodness out of basketball. Playing relaxed and free. Surprised me that he was named captain. If he wasn't up for it, he wouldn't have taken it on and would've just left it to Newbill. Proud of the big boy

Reply #770130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys looking real gd

Reply #770131 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair too, they're actually giving him the ball and letting him go to work. He's a very old-school, back to the basket type of centre so its important to give him that space and time - and not waste him as a screener on the perimeter/crashing the glass. Good coaching as it looks like a real deliberate plot to feed him.

Reply #770132 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair too, they're actually giving him the ball and letting him go to work. He's a very old-school, back to the basket type of centre so its important to give him that space and time - and not waste him as a screener on the perimeter/crashing the glass. Good coaching as it looks like a real deliberate plot to feed him.

Reply #770133 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

For sure. They also fed him in spurts last year, but was pretty hit or miss. Didn't have a groove last year. Not as explosive as this year.

Between Trimble's selfishness and Kelly subbing him out when he was hot, Jawai didn't get as many post-ups as he should've

Reply #770134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again Hooley doing a fine job in commentary, homicide should shut up a bit and let Hooley say more. Hooley actually talks tactics where homicide tries to hard to colour it up.

Reply #770135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic is having a fantastic all-round game tonight.

Reply #770136 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I read that Froling had gotten himself into a lot better shape over the off-season. Is it just me or is that not showing?

Reply #770137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin 2 points at half time. Didn't he make some comment about being up guard able?

Reply #770138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round is a shape

Reply #770139 | Report this post

Commentary is so much better without Dwayne. Good come back 36's

Reply #770140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns want to win this game stick to starting 5, there bench is so poor, Krislovic and Djeric are the baddest defender and offensively only occasionally get lucky.

Reply #770141 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Amy reason why Dillon hasn't played yet?

Reply #770143 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How good does Mark Davis still look?

He's almost 59 the guy looks 45.

Reply #770144 | Report this post

Jetts Dreads  
Years ago

Agree with the Cairns starting 5 good but then there is limited depth

Reply #770145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey coming across a lot calmer this season.

Reply #770146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^Got his anger out last season punching Sobey...he will be good this season

Reply #770147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright punched Sobey?

Reply #770148 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Djeric has always been a hot head

Reply #770150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide playing well but McVeigh is such a wanker.

Reply #770151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Snakes are shot.

Reply #770154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good drinking game would be to take a shot when Hooley says "self inflicted".

Reply #770157 | Report this post

Jetts Dreads  
Years ago

Why isnt Teys a boomer?

Reply #770158 | Report this post

Cosby  
Years ago

Teys doesn't play for lemanis

Reply #770159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No defence, I'm the best rookie in the league since Inglis hasn’t played that much, is he injured or is Kelly saying enough is enough.

Reply #770160 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Boomers already have someone to holds the towels and fill up the water bottles

Reply #770162 | Report this post

Cosby  
Years ago

Deng is doesn't know how to play defense

Reply #770163 | Report this post

Whatever happened to that female assistant coach on Joey's 36ers staff who was always carrying the clipboard for the past few years?

Reply #770164 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tracey York now coaches Bendigo in the WNBL.

Reply #770166 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tracy*

Reply #770167 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cairns shot themselves in the foot 1000 times during that match, far out I'd hate to be a Taipans fan

Reply #770171 | Report this post

ohhh ok, good for her, cheers for the info perth.

Reply #770173 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

More importantly the Taipans lead at HT streak is over.

Reply #770174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoyable game, Adelaide did enough without really extending themselves, liking the look of Obi kyei, looks like a good prospect. Adelaide looking a lot more controlled this season. Cairns got two excellent imports and Oliver reasonable but there Australian players don't play any proper defence. Jawai is still good for 15-20 minutes. I just don’t understand there recruiting, they should look further than the qbl because those guys aren’t up to it.

Reply #770175 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Crowd 6,288

Reply #770191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt that cairns can afford to look past QBL local guys to be honest.

Reply #770192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt that cairns can afford to look past QBL local guys to be honest.

Reply #770193 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers will be hoping to average around 6,500 I'd imagine, with a few 8-9k games to make this move worthwhile.

Reply #770195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can, they just choose not too. Lazy recruiting. Not looking extensively enough.

Reply #770196 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure it's lazy recruiting the Taipans are between a rock and a hard place. They don't have the money and Cairns itself isn't a big draw card for players. That's why they go after players who are already up that way.

Reply #770199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there going to use qbl players they want for blokes that play team first and defence, not bloke that just want to shoot.

Reply #770204 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Or want more time on the court

Reply #770205 | Report this post

Can someone tell me why Dillon was recruited to sit on the bench every game. Come on Joey give some of white or Teys minutes to him!

Reply #770215 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd like to know the deal with Dillon also?

And, where is Mudronja?

Reply #770239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns use NBL contract promises to keep the affiliated state league team (The Marlins) competitive without paying them. College kids like Krislovic, Blagovic, Jurlina and promising juniors like Fisher all play for nothing. Jamie O'Loughlin is the state team league coach, they train and have the offices at the state league teams facility. It's a good way to make your state league team look good without having to pay players but probably not a great look when you have to pay up and give guys NBL contracts who clearly aren't ready.

Reply #770271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754