Anonymous
Years ago

Poaching in VJBL

There seems to be a lot of people moving across to specific associations after their coaches left the year previous.

It is highly improbable that these kids are moving on their own accord and are instead being asked across by coaches from other associations which, as per VJBL rules, is illegal. Not naming names but i know of two associations who DIRECTLY asked one of the kids I'd been with in the past across to their assciaition.

Should the VJBL investiagte instances were multiple high level players leave to specific associations??

Topic #46156 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, this has been happening for decades

Reply #770078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats true but its getting worse and its causing very clear imbalances which aren't conducive to the goal of junior basketball... development

Reply #770080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pay to play...

Reply #770082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Multiple meaning 2 per team under current rules.. They are kids let them play wher ever they or their families see fit. Current rule works OK imho

Reply #770088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel although I know exactly who this involves, everyone knows they're doing it, but who can prove it really. Promising kids the glory of titles and trips to nationals is too much for them to turn down.

It does really impact on the competitive balance at the top level, but as someone said it's always happened...

Reply #770090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know why you don’t mention names, for those who don’t know the opening post is referring to Bulleen boys moving to Hawthorn, specifically in u14 boys. There has been significant movement to Hawthorn a cross age groups across boys and girls. For the life of me I can’t understand why, they have been doing well because of imports not because they have done such a great job developing talent and they will end up losing all these kids anyway as they don’t have NBL1. The association I am at has some imports but to be honest I would rather they didn’t come, it’s always for a shot at championships, which really mean nothing and shouldn’t be the main aim of any association. I’d much rather develop as many kids as possible who started at the club through to NBL1 standard, that is a worthy goal.

Reply #770094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the above post
Its not all about winning at all circumstances for everyone are different. I moved my two girls to Hawthorn because they are an awesome club. Communication, coaching and environment are superior to the toxic club they were at - Altona! It's a massive effort for my family to travel, but I'm willing to do so for their wellbeing rather than have them involved around a narcissistic DC that is only there to feather his own nest.
The culture filters through and the program is abominable. If coaches move and families follow it's generally for the benefit of the kids.

Reply #770422 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Heaps of people moving away from Bulleen. Way to many parent coaches and friends that don't have an objective unbiased view. Parent feedback generally just gets shut down by their convenor. No problem is ever solved there - just shut down.
People won’t move if the Club is supportive.

Reply #770440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at it at the BV rep level. Of the 33 under 15 Vic metro boys that played in the SCC January I reckon over a 3rd have moved. Some of them have even gone to coaches who coached them at the tournament. That's supposed to be forbidden but it's not policed.

Reply #770449 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So if a parent or player makes the decision to go to a coach they like that has coached them at SCC or another development tournament, with no knowledge from the coach, then we are saying that is forbidden because the kid wants to play for a coach they like? Come on now people, of this happens at your club then i would be asking more questions about the player coach relationships in that age group of your current coach and why players want to leave.

Reply #770455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the Former Altona parent. I'm sorry to hear things were so bad there, nobody would have an issue with a family leaving an association to get away from a toxic situation. I think these appear at every club from time to time. Was there not an issue at Hawthorn in the boys section last year with half the kids leaving one team because of the coach? Why did you choose Hawthorn though, you have clubs like Melb and Keillor that are strong clubs and are a lot closer.

Reply #770481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at the clearance forms on VJBL, you won't find too many significant trends. There are quite a few people leaving a few clubs - and sometimes it is just a function of the size of the club. Eg, 18 leaving Melb boys, but maybe that’s not huge because they have heaps of teams. Just think it’s normal.

Reply #770497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone actually disagree that it is wrong for coaches to actively ask players to play on their team because although players moving because they like the coach is a realistic scenario they oftentimes seem to like the coach because they've been offered things like ones side and nationals appearances...

Reply #770517 | Report this post

SuperDuperCoach  
Years ago

Some coaches are not there for the kids, they are there for themselves. They want to win championships at any cost and the kids are just the set of tools to win the championship. Many a time you will see a player 'happen' to change clubs under these circumstances and then a year or two later quit playing. A number of the 1s coaches at my previous club were like that, glad I got out of there. Another thing - almost always it is the parents that are lured not the kids; the parents' egos require them to move their kid around.

Reply #770554 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

There is a tendency to bag parents, saying that they are living their lives through their kids. But there are a lot of dysfunctional coaches out there who play the local politics game well and are not going anywhere. I have had one of my kids traumatized by a "coach with issues"; if i did not move her, she would be lost to the game. If your club is not responding to incident after incident, your kid looks to you for help, you have to be there to help them.

Reply #770901 | Report this post

Colours  
Years ago

Red84 Exactly!

Reply #770910 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

People also move jobs/schools etc which is often overlooked and people assume poaching of players.

Its a free world and kids/parents are free to move to another club that they feel has the potential to help there child.

Reply #770941 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Poaching or Recruiting??

If a kids is unhappy at a clubs grading, his opportunity to play the position he thinks he is preferred at for hi/development why not?

You change jobs if the boss and work is not what you want, no problem changing clubs either.

Too much of a big deal is put on ''poaching'' coaches should and do recruit because they sell a great program or opportunity.

As a coach I am always mindful of players who have moved twice, but if you do your homework I have recruited kids because they were undervalued at the previous club, and the classic is the tall kid being asked to play as the 5 man when he knows he isn't going to grow anymore.

Reply #770966 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Agree with Personal foul.

See the Tall kid at U14 who everyone knows won't be playing the 5 spot in U18 but the coach demands he plays the 5 cause he is 6"3 and the biggest kid.

Reply #770969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Observed experience as a coach and administrator is that selection is very subjective, based on very limited information or data, without regard to any actual game experience or statistics, without much organisation and without much discipline. So, there will be outcomes that are just incorrect. This leads to people looking for other options, and sadly other sports. The club that gets this right, focusses on selection as much as they expect the kids to focus on their effort, uses some level of objectivity including having regard to past actual performance and data, is the club that will win in the longer run. The holy grail of junior basketball.

Reply #771647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30 clearances from Melb Tigers ... so far.

Reply #772992 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers take a lot of kids into the program - they have more than 5 teams in Under 14s some of that has to wash out at some point as it heads elsewhere.

Reply #773006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers with 5 teams in under 14's. Try about 14 teams.

Reply #773036 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Why do you NEED more than 5 teams in U14s if its an elite rep program - NO you're running a domestic pay to play program and using the cream to fund seniors.

THATS why there is 30 transfers

VJBL will start to lose its value if big clubs keep doing this

Reply #773042 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers run 10+ teams in in the U12/14/16 to be able to pay for their NBL1 program. As they do not have a domestic program, it is the only income stream for them apart from any sponsors they have.

Outside of the top 5 teams, they pick players names out of a hat for the remaining teams. Seriously.

Reply #773126 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754