Anonymous
Years ago

Qbl announced as new nbl1

As title suggests the qbl will become nbl1 north next season.

Announcement states will create pathways for men and women and all games will be live-streamed.

Not sure much will actually change accept the name of the league. I'm sure entry costs will increase significantly for the clubs. If correct might actually mean a reduction in quality of players retained and therefore level of competition reduced.

Topic #46201 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good, 1 step closer to nation wide nbl1 and a legit pathway for youth to funnel into.

Reply #771012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^So you don't like the idea then?

Awesome news for qld basketball nsw next

Reply #771013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that I don't like it, just that it’s nothing more than a name change.

Please explain how it is suddenly overnight now a legit pathway to funnel youth talent?

How is it a step closer to a national comp?

Reply #771014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't think every game live-streamed is a good thing?

Reply #771015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

End of season national playoff/carnival? Yes please. Put the State chest thumping to rest! Will have to be some scheduling genious though.

Reply #771016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No!!

And I agree let's see what comes with a name change and does it actually deliver on improved pathways if the competition is the same.

If it is just a name change I say other leagues rebrand themselves NBA1 and skip the NBL and go straight to the NBA!

Reply #771017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where did I say that? how many live stream games were there last season? it is of course a good thing so long as it doesnt affect fans actually turning up. the cost of live streaming each game must also be considered. its not cheap for a quality production. if the clubs are now meeting this expense on top of a no doubt increased entry fee (Nbl1 fee is $30k) will this impact the clubs ability to pay players? if it does doesnt that actually reduce the quality of the league?

Reply #771018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the national/playoff carnival would be a complete waste of everyones time and at huge expense and for what? it is already well known which is the strongest league.

Reply #771019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alot of these second-tier teams are poorly managed and alot of them and their players like to keep the status quo. Alot of the existing state leagues are stale and need a high dose shot. A complete waste of time? If you like your situation nice and comfortable and samesies.

Reply #771020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee what a surprise. NSW will be next

Reply #771022 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Same complaints about NBL1/SEABL switch ----- EXPOSURE forget national 2nd Division

NBL used its media department to give NBL1 its own online panel show, weekly Top 10 highlights that didn't look like they were done with imovie, live streamed games with commentary to enhance online viewing.

These simple exposure changes increase opportunity for small to medium sponsors to see more value you in the product at a local and regional level. The extra exposure and legitimate naming could help a young kid go to a better ranked college or get a full time pro spot overseas, and the imports are more liely to buy in to coming to Australia, agents and are more likely to encourage it.

Don't even worry what it looks like on the floor yet, this is happening before the ball is tossed up!

Great MOVE

Reply #771024 | Report this post

LB33  
Years ago

NSW wont be this coming season.

Details still being worked through but 2021 is the target.

Reply #771025 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I hear that the Centre of Excelence will be joining the Warratah League?

If true, I don't see the benefit of this. Lower level competition for the COE and no more live streams of their games.

A big step backwards in my opinion

Reply #771026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(How is it a step closer to a national comp?)

Now the NBL is behind it 100% your just angry

Reply #771028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the nbl wont be doing all the media and exposure for nothing. i agree its great and nbl1 exposure wise is fantastic. but the nbl collected $540K from the competing clubs to do this. one would hope it was of high quality. this doesnt include the cost of streaming the games which the clubs have too meet themselves. the fees to play in nbl1 are increasing again this year.

does anyone know what the entry fee will be for the nbl1 north clubs? will it be an increase on league fees last year? if the nbl1 are promising the same things to the north clubs as the are to the nbl1 teams it should be the same cost to enter a club shouldnt it? if they are using the money paid by the nbl1 teams to pump up the tires of the qld league i can see some clubs being put out

Reply #771030 | Report this post

LB33  
Years ago

Part of the new Waratah League terms of entry is that associations must stream all games.

Reply #771035 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Part of the new Waratah League terms of entry is that associations must stream all games.

So does this mean if the COE joins the Waratah League for the upcoming season, we will still be able to watch all of their games live streamed? (Like last season in the NBL1)

Reply #771039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a good thing for Australian basketball and will help grow bball in qld it's just taking the professionalism of local clubs to the next level and now I can follow and cheer on my local team in a national comp.

Reply #771040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they can afford to compete

Reply #771042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is awesome news for basketball in Australia.

Typically SA is years behind

Reply #771043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw basketball is confusing and hard to follow NBL1 should help spread the competition across all of nsw. A few towns and teams in northern nsw would love get in a national comp to show off the local talent and to help grow bball and infrastructure in these areas.

Reply #771044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs to be a per conference based coe for maybe u20 players.

Reply #771046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(if they can afford to compete)

It starts at a local level clubs can choose if they would like to be part of something bigger if they have the community support, sponsors, business skills, players, staff, etc then they can go to a state level last year that was as far as they could go and it was a bit boring compared to NBL1. Now if the qld teams have all of those things needed to win the qnbl1 title it won't be that much harder to go on and compete for a national nbl1 title. Will it make it hard for smaller teams to compete? Yep but they still have local and state comps to play in and have something to aspire to and work towards for the future. And I think my local team the Gold Coast will be fine and give Jack Mcveigh a chance to play close to his home town.

Reply #771049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it be better to join WA and SA for nbl1 west?

Reply #771050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will BV and NBL change their minds once again and push Pioneers back to SA league?

Reply #771054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wa n sa seperate

Reply #771061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld/nt
Nsw/act
Vic/tas
Sa
Wa

Reply #771063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having the name NBL brand attached to any state league will create more interest for the average punter in my opinion. An end of season state league national championship tournament would be great!

Reply #771067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yep I already have more interest in the qnbl1 over last season

Reply #771076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Wa n sa seperate)

(Qld/nt
Nsw/act
Vic/tas
Sa
Wa)

Why would all the other states pair up and not WA and SA?
It would make more sense for them to pair up as well that way there's 4 confronts winners for the finals and not 5 winners as you are suggesting.

Reply #771077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because how do some of these leagues compete with others. The budgets of the Vic conference would be conservatively 5 times that of some of the other states.

The finals will be a farce - a bit like what used to happen in the ABA many years ago.

Will simply make costs for the grass root players more expensive if other states have to compete.

Reply #771087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do you get 5 times from?

Reply #771088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because wa and sa are to far apart. Cost of travel too much.

Reply #771092 | Report this post

LB33  
Years ago

COE Would be required to stream games if they entering into the Waratah League.

Reply #771099 | Report this post

LB33  
Years ago

The cost for entry in NSW NBL1 basically went from $4k to $15k per team plus complying with a whole lot of new criteria. BNSW associations are setup as an amateur organisations so it is going to require a complete restructure within associations prior to committing to the NBL1 all the metro based clubs rejected the NBL1 proposal.

Reply #771100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the clubs as a whole dont have the money to do this. NSW clubs are smart in rejecting it. i believe sa have too atleast at the initial stages of convos. unfortunately there is insufficient money in the sport to run a national second tier competition. until larry took over there wasnt even enough for the first tier. could still argue not enough for a first tier with the league costing larry money to run as opposed to making him money. most teams also run at a considerable loss. it simply not sustainable. not sure what has been wrong with 2nd tier and grass roots system anyway seemingly producing the highest level of talent from this country ever. the second comp needs to be condensed not expanded. nbl1 need to get rid of about 4 melbourne teams which will increase the standard as players are too diluted at present. the league needs road trips to give the league the professional vibe. nbl1 remains as a "feeder" "development" league for nbl and the "state" leagues act a "feeder" "development" league for nbl1. creates a great pathway in my view.

Reply #771110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw basketball has been crap for years, got better since old man Cadee left but still a long way behind. The club with the most finances is parramatta which is not a member of basketball nsw and doesn't play in any of there competitions, they reckon it’s a rip off. It’s where the kings train now.
Hopefully this all changes when nbl get involved. I’ve known a fair few coaches and board members from a lot of nsw basketball clubs and they all think the same though I believe it’s improving.

Reply #771113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do you get 5 times from?

Is this your list?

1.(Qld/nt
2.Nsw/act
3.Vic/tas
4.Sa
5.Wa)

Looks like 5 to me

Qld /NT teams will have the same distance to travel as WA /SA
Vic/Tas teams cross the ocean. it won't hurt wa/sa pairing up it’s ok you won’t get germs

Reply #771124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where still going to have local basketball leagues where still going to have regional and state leagues. teams don't have to sign up for nbl1 if they don’t think there up to it but it will help the strong state teams to grow and not just be the best state team but to be the best state team in Australia. maybe in a few years nz nbl1 teams as well.

I guess some people don’t like progress

Reply #771126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is easy to just throw comments in there that people don't like progress. But is it really progress? Just because someone says it doesn't make it true

Reply #771127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, could see 3 nz conferences also. North, south and central perhaps.

It's not a quick fix, it’ll take sometime before the conferences even out around aus.
The issue has been how the state leagues have been run in the past. No more bs. All under same banner with guidance. If they don’t cut it, they stay in tier 3 state league until they can prove that they can.
Nsw who have had the worst management for sometime will get much better sooner under nbl1.

Reply #771130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first nbl1 season had a lot of success. Ask the clubs, some had a 600 per cent increase in attendance over the season.
Frankston and Nunawading could barely fit any more people in at times. Compare that to previous seabl seasons like night n day.

Reply #771131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Where still going to have local basketball leagues where still going to have regional and state leagues.
If NBL1 replaces the QBL, how is there still a state league?

Reply #771133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only some teams enter, just like a lot of teams who still play in big v.

Reply #771136 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Big V existed alongside the SEABL, which was replaced by NBL1. Now the QBL is being replaced by NBL1.

Reply #771139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed koberulz.

is it being suggested only some of the qbl teams will enter in nbl1? if so any idea how many? those that dont what league are they going to play in?

while it might work in places like nsw and qld to only have some of the current state league teams join and form nbl1 as there are a sufficient number of teams with enough resources and finances to compete what about SA. cant possibly suggests there are sufficient state league teams with resources and budgets to compete in an nbl1 league. i guess those they dont join just fold do they? or do they become solely junior clubs with no senior teams?

Reply #771151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

needs to be remembered that larry is doing all of this for one reason only and that is to make money. might not make it immediately but his plan will be to build up so that it does make him money or gets to a position where he can sell the nbl to make him money.
incredibly risk in my view to have one man control the whole sport throughout Australia.

Reply #771154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The QBL is now NBL1 North
Teams appear to be Cairns Townsville Mackay Rocky USC Rip Brisbane Logan Sth Districts South West Metro and GC - Ipswich Toowoomba Gladstone have a decision to make

The SBL is continuing in the south east corner as a junior league of sorts

A new QSL is going to emerge for the teams south of Rocky who cant afford to be in NBL1 North but want something a bit better than SBL. Teams appear to be Toowoomba Ipswich Gladstone (possibly) North GC Bundaberg Maroochydore Caboolture and Northside

Reply #771202 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Either start using commas or stop making lists.

Reply #771203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 teams into nbl1 north in it's first season I think was listed.

Reply #771224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not north Gold Coast?

Reply #771225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe there is talk of a team from Darwin. Any news on this?

Reply #771244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(If NBL1 replaces the QBL, how is there still a state league?)

The SBL is continuing in the south east corner as a junior league of sorts

A new QSL is going to emerge for the teams south of Rocky who cant afford to be in NBL1 North but want something a bit better than SBL. Teams appear to be Toowoomba Ipswich Gladstone (possibly) North GC Bundaberg Maroochydore Caboolture and Northside

Basketball was now where in Australia until Larry and the team stepped in every one should stop freaking the f¥<€ out and see how it all pans out. What's the worst thing that can happen? Go back to playing individual state comps? At least someone is trying to improve bball in Australia (and not just in Victoria) even if it is just for monetary gain

Reply #771248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For SA it must be all in or none in. Can you imagine 5 clubs saying yes and 5 saying no. Would make for an exciting conference and state league with a bye each week and playing each other team 5 times a season.

Reply #771251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#881,

I know the Pioneers budget and I have a good handle on the average budgets for other PL clubs. Some clubs would be 1/10th of the Pioneers. So if these clubs who spend most of their revenue on junior development how does this improve the pathway if they are not in NBL1 due to cost?

One rule does not fit all. I'll be curious how this all ends up but be wary of all the smoke and mirrors of people who see this as a profit making exercise

Reply #771280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA couldn't afford is back in the CBA days, why would anything change now?

Reply #771281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why does second tier need to be national? there is not enough depth of talent nor is their sufficient money. the talent we have will be spread to thin. there is a need for a strong off season second tier league ie seabl or the new nbl1. those talented enough should play in that league, it should be at most 15 teams. then the "state leagues" should be third tier.

Reply #771293 | Report this post

LB33  
Years ago

BNSW had 3 clubs say yes and 9-10 clubs say no ... it wasn't commercially viable under the current business model of NSW associations. It would have meant we had to redirect allot of resources from grass roots.

Reply #771300 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Would this second-tier, national comp be better if there were fewer teams overall with budgets that could afford full travel and accom costs like the NBL does, and to leave the various state teams where they currently are.

As an eg, I offer my region, the Sunny Coast. We have 2 fairly competitive teams in the (up-until-yesterday) QBL, the Phoenix (ex Maroochydore + 2 other local clubs) and RIP at the Uni. We both struggle financially with recruiting (local) players compared with bigger associations but we do well with true locals and we have been fairly lucky with imports. Put these budgets together and we could then have a Sunny Coast team that could be just as competitive as all other teams.

Gold Coast would fit this idea with a single team. Brisbane could have 2 teams made up from Brisbane, Southern Districts, South West & Logan. Ipswich & Tooowoomba - maybe 1 team, Gladstone & Bundaberg - maybe 1 team or join with Rockhampton. Mackay, Townsville and Cairns will go alone (3 teams). That's 9 teams. There is also talk of a Darwin/NT team, That's 10 competitive teams with, presumably budgets that could manage with our southern counterparts.

With Victoria's population, dedication to sports in general and its dedication to basketball in particular, it is no wonder that there are more clubs, more players and more money. And more - better teams. Let us, in states like QLD, better our expectations nationally with fewer, better teams than with more, inferior teams. And I would have absolute joy in cheering on my NBL1 team as well as my (Sunny Coast) QBL team.

So, yes. I am proposing that the QBL stays pretty-well as it is now. Sure I realise that both the RIP and the Phoenix will be weaker than they were by having their gun players in the national comp team but that will all adjust as all teams will face the same problems. In fact, the QBL may even lose some of the better, 1 city teams like our northern cities (then the QBL would resemble the ex Southern Cross League which, for its time, worked well until the whole state got together again).

If that was to happen, here's how I see it unfolding.

We Have a 2nd tier national comp, NBL1. Played in winter, predominantly weekend games. Some midweek games by neighbouring teams, if necessary, to get through schedule. Interstate games would all be double headers, at least.

(In QLD) basketball will have grown so much, and with the QBL having been reduced geographically to Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast and Toowoomba that the QBL can now be played midweek with Toowoomba presenting the only travel problem for the other teams (and itself, of course). In that scenario, all teams could still field near full-strength teams for QBL

When all the dust settles, that's the sort of 2nd and subsequent tiers I want to see emerge in Qld, anyway.

Reply #771309 | Report this post

Vesta 28  
Years ago

This sounds like the old CBA and ABA idea. Didn't work then and won't work now.

There are too many differences in each state league which made it impossible to have a fair playoff system at the end of the year. Plus the old SEABL didn't really enjoy getting smacked by QBL teams.

Sure, you can make everybody play to the same rule-book (same number of imports, etc) but there usually is a reason why things are the way they are. Eg, there is a reason the QBL isn't full home and away.

Most teams from back then eventually woke up to the fact that they were subsidising the same richer clubs to go down south to play finals every year and the money would be better spent on extra/better imports in a local (state only) competition, thus making the competition better.

There is no doubt that BQ has dropped the ball considerably since Burns took over but it sounds like it will still be BQ running the NBL1-North league so what really changes ?

If the biggest drawcard for this new league is the streaming of every game then there are lots of cheaper and better ways to achieve this. Many QBL clubs are already doing this.

Reply #771333 | Report this post

Cat Fontroller  
Years ago

There is simply not enough money to support a genuine 2nd tier national (Winter) competition.

Currently, NBL1 (with QBL also having its moments) is the best winter comp.

But, it is very Victorian centric. The sport is already strong there and well administered.

So the real question is, isn't it, how does the sport best get stronger in the other population centres - NSW and QLD?

(WA and SA are both too remote and too small) to be a priority. They do need to be supported so that their state leagues continue to evolve and provide a pathway to the NBL1 and NBL etc.)

So, is NBL1 the best way forward for the game in NSW and QLD??

Is there any genuine prospect of a competition including multiple teams from QLD, nsw and down thru Vic to Tassie and the South East corner of SA?

Gee, I hope so!

With the NBL becoming increasingly difficult for young Aussies to get a firm foothold in, a semi-pro 'national' winter league would seem like a good thing.

Reply #771335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Plus the old SEABL didn't really enjoy getting smacked by QBL teams."

Pretty sure there was only 1 season when QLD won it all in the SEABL.
So stop the smacking talk ;)

Reply #771344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats not quite true, Cairns and Rocky have won in the mens and Townsville won back to back in the women

Reply #771356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Cairns won in 1997 and Rocky a decade ago? I wouldn't know about the women sorry.

Reply #771365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should take down the names of all the haters, it hasn't even begun and there is already so much negativity.

Reply #771369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Everyone is always just supposed to agree with decisions and proposals in basketball? Question the merit in the same and putting forward some concerns or doubts is forbidden? Best you move country to that with a different ideology.

Reply #771409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 is cheaper than the SEABL. However FWIH some teams pay for other teams to visit. Is that true?
Will the Mount have to pay for every team to visit?

Reply #771413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks about it because it’s happening. I’m Looking forward to seeing the future of Australian basketball

Reply #771420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Climate change is happening too. Doesn't mean it is good!

Reply #771426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount paying big time. Not much choice really - agree to BV's demands or face a fairly rapid demise in Premier League.

Powerful Vic clubs making it as hard as possible for them.

Reply #771433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It not an even playing field even within the current nbl1 league it certainly won't be with nbl1 north league compared to the rules for the nbl1 vic league. Therefore what’s the point of national finals when the teams compete in leagues with different rules

Reply #771434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the different rules?

Reply #771439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait till it’s nation wide, going to be awesome for Aussie basketball.

Reply #771441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why will it be awesome?? It will be awesome if successful and clubs can afford to develop grass root players otherwise I'm not convinced

Reply #771445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are not convinced yet the qbl are?

Reply #771446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD vs VIC: what rules are different?

Reply #771450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that not all qbl teams agree - only some of them!

Reply #771451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Climate change is happening too. Doesn't mean it is good!"

The recent changes in climate have been great for crop yields etc, warmer times are usually more prosperous. However, if this interglacial comes to an end the next major change in climate is going to be difficult to deal with.

Reply #771452 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

speaking to numerous players and coaches in both the men and women's teams in a number of different clubs, who joined the NBL1 league this past season, who previously played in SEABL, the resounding response was it was a huge step up from SEABL as far as management and media were concerned)not playing wise it was the same), far more exposure which the players all loved so too the fans, and if anything it increased crowds at games even though every game was live streamed and had commentary, sure the first few weeks the commentary for some was shall wee say, áwful'lol.
Many people had that same trepidation as to just how it would be better than SEABL as it looked for all its worth as SEABL by any other name, the inclusion of the BigV champ teams made for some interesting games in those first few rounds, but by the end of the season you could see they had been able to go further, they had better competition to play against.
QBL has been for many years an OK comp where some low quality (and a few ok ones) players could get a gig either in their home areas or a warmer climate than Vic over winter, some of those who are the 'big names'in QBL would be mediocre in the Vic league. But they could get better money than being ín the ten'in SEABL as most of those teams only paid their starting 5, and its the same in NBL1 hence why is a semi professional league. Now with the exposure the NBL1 can bring QLD may get more players wanting to come join nthe winter sunshine

Plus with more exposure(had way more followers than SEABL and WNBL has now), sponsors are more likely to hop on board, so its got to be a good thing for the sport, so QLD and any state really should try to embrace it, its like anything new, it will have its teething problems till it finds its groove, but NBL1 last season was a huge success here in Vic. And lets face it you have nothing to lose

Reply #771453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl1 Vic still play the old tech foul rule

Reply #771454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are rules around restricted players?

Reply #771459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL an "ok comp", "Low level players". Tell that to Cairns who had 3 current fully contracted Taipans, Alex Loughton, Jurlina and an Import (although not so quality) and finished 4th. The upper end of the QBL has always been at least on par with SEABL/NBL1 for a number of years. Many players move interstate for playing gigs in the QBL which says a lot about budget, recruiting etc. The change has only been 1 season and was only announced a few months before the season started. How about we re-assess in 3-5 years when it has been established.

Reply #771460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans got the crappiest bench in the league because of three taipans players, horrible example.

Reply #771462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(so Everyone is always just supposed to agree with decisions and proposals in basketball?)

I guess you could keep it how it is and not grow the sport, that could work.
Or you could try something new and exciting for the players and teams involved. no one has a gun to there head the NBL isn't a dictatorship it’s a basketball league trying to grow basketball in Australia and make a clear pathway from juniors to the nba. as we have seen the NBL can and will adjust thing if it needs to for the better.

Question the merit in the same and putting forward some concerns or doubts is forbidden? Best you move country to that with a different ideology.

Don’t have to move countries that sounds like the Australian government (the coalition) to me just the Australian media.

Reply #771463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Premier League a prime example of not growing the sport.

Reply #771466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no doubt the top few teams of qbl qould challenge for finals in nbl1 or the previous seabl teams. the top 2 or 3 sa teams would do so similarly and i am sure that the case in wa and perhaps nsw too. thats not the issue.

as i see it the issue is these quality 2nd ier players are spread out accross the country.

for these players to be developing (particularly if they are young) and trying to secure an nbl gig or a more luracative deal and more playing time in nbl they need to be challenged day in day game after game. that is not occurring in the current format and wont change in the new nbl1 format. an end of season tournament is insufficient it needs be season long high quality play.

we need all of these players playing in the one comp. the only competition with close enough clubs, population, financial support is the current nbl1 comp. this should be the sole focus of the nbl making this clearly the 2nd teir league that all quality players play in. there should be a reduction in melbourne teams so it is a league of about 14 teams.

other junior clubs who produce great talent encourage and want their players to make the nbl and beyond. there should be no difference and they should be encouraging their select few juniors to go and play in the 2nd tier comp to achieve the highest level of play they can (and pay). the "state leagues" should be treated as 3rd tier.

Reply #771467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I know the Pioneers budget and I have a good handle on the average budgets for other PL clubs. Some clubs would be 1/10th of the Pioneers. So if these clubs who spend most of their revenue on junior development how does this improve the pathway if they are not in NBL1 due to cost?)

Just like always has grassroots and local leagues feeds into regional leagues that feeds into state leagues or nbl1north that could feed into NBL that could feed into Europe leagues or American leagues and then feeds into the ultimate league that is the nba.

All that could happen just starting of playing in a small country town club.
don't know about you but that’s exciting to me.

Reply #771468 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

With a second NBL1 conference, will they begin the 'end of season championships' next year ? With the top couple from both NBL1 conferences playing off ? Or will they wait until all States are formally a part of NBL1 ?

Perhaps with the amalgamation of the state leagues under the NBL/NBL1 banner, an end of season could be televised on SBS/Kayo in the same way the NBL is?

I know the cost involved is significant for a club to attend an end of season carnival, but if a club has reached the top couple in their respective states, you would hope they have the resources to send the same team to this kind of tournament.

I'd also like to hope that clubs would be interested in the added prestige of being named National Champions, which could have a flow on effect for their club too.

Reply #771470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are we going to see nbl women though?

The current wnbl is pathetic.

Reply #771471 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Taipans got the crappiest bench in the league because of three taipans players, horrible example.

Perfect example of why it's an OK comp, that’s one team , who sacrifice their depth to pay imports.

The women’s teams in the QBL are the same, no depth other than a few players in some teams .

So yes it’s a. "Ok comp" but still well below what SEABL was and NBL1 is in both men’s and women’s

Reply #771475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are we now expected to believe that BV and NBL are so benevolent to champion this change for everyone but themselves. How does this sit with kicking the Pioneers out of the NBL 1 in its first year knowing it could possibly have been the end of the club until Basketball Australia stepped in.

Surely having all the state leagues involved in devising what is best for Australian basketball rather than having just two organisations speculating what is best would be a more inclusive approach to getting buy in and possibly a better solution. As Denis Waitley once said: "You must welcome change as the rule but not as your ruler."

Let's ensure we are not changing for change sake!

Reply #771477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it John the NBL will need to pay for the nbl1 finals by televised games on sbs full of sponsorship and there dollars.

It will be very similar to what it is now but with a unified banner and with a chance to go from state champs to national champs

Reply #771478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please dont give any credit to BA in respect to the pioneers fiasco. they were the cause of the fiasco and far from a saviour as is implied.

Reply #771479 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Honestly agree sentimentally but reality is that I know of no-one who is satisfied with their own states' leagues' administration. Are you?

Now imagine all those admins working out the best way to attack the "national" issue. I could probably date this post as year 2029 and would still be relevant.

From the above post, "all the state leagues involved in devising what is best for Australian basketball rather than having just two organisations speculating what is best would be a more inclusive approach to getting buy in and possibly a better solution." the suggestion that 2 bodies (BV & NBL) are the only alternative, and that ain't good.

Well 1 of those bodies resurrected the NBL, the other has transformed itself into what is now considered to be the only 2nd-tier league in Aust. And it only happened when the 2 got together.

Ok, decision time! Who do you go with? 2 who do or 15 who don't?

As Isaac Assimov once wrote, "Don't let your ethics get in the way of doing the right thing." (book 4 of the Foundation series).

Reply #771481 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Honestly agree sentimentally but reality is that I know of no-one who is satisfied with their own states' leagues' administration. Are you?

Now imagine all those admins working out the best way to attack the "national" issue. I could probably date this post as year 2029 and would still be relevant.

From the above post, "all the state leagues involved in devising what is best for Australian basketball rather than having just two organisations speculating what is best would be a more inclusive approach to getting buy in and possibly a better solution." the suggestion that 2 bodies (BV & NBL) are the only alternative, and that ain't good.

Well 1 of those bodies resurrected the NBL, the other has transformed itself into what is now considered to be the only 2nd-tier league in Aust. And it only happened when the 2 got together.

Ok, decision time! Who do you go with? 2 who do or 15 who don't?

As Isaac Assimov once wrote, "Don't let your ethics get in the way of doing the right thing." (book 4 of the Foundation series).

Reply #771482 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Meant to conclude that my statement, "Who do you go with? 2 who do or 15 who don't?" The "15 who don't" referred only to 1 state, Qld. Now multiply that by each state and we may need that new quantum comp to work out when it will happen.

Reply #771483 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754