international playing in the NBL1

Hey.

My name is Rithvik Thammareddy. I am a 18 year old basketball player from Hyderabad, India.

I just wanted to know if international students, on a student visa studying in Australia could try-out for NBL1 and other state league teams whilst pursuing a degree.

What would be the process? Would i be considered an import? What would be the best route to go for?

Any advice would help.

Here are my highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb3meKh8w9NY4bET9B1CU5w

Topic #46235 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Admire your intention but you won't be able to play NBL1 mate.

Reply #771910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not? Nbl1 has imports doesn't it?
If he’s good enough teams would at least look at him.
Rithvik Good on you mate maybe try contacting bball clubs directly

Reply #771912 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

U can try out but u would b considered an import for nbl/state league and by what i can see u are just not at the import level.

Best try to try out for youth league if u r in Victoria as try outs are on now or try to play for the school ur attending.

Also just for future advice dont add free throws to ur video/mixtape no coach wants to see that, they want to see athleticism/handles/vison.

Good luck for the future

Reply #771915 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Actually with India being part of FIBA Oceania/Asia he would not be classified as an import, just like all of the New Zealanders playing here aren't considered imports. Last season at least a couple of Indians played in NBL1 and BigV.

Reply #771919 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Well i stand corrected but off that video im still not picking him up

Reply #771925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What city are you in, that would help narrow down teams.

Reply #771926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shayno
What team do you own/run?

Reply #771934 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Anonymous basketball club haha

Reply #771954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Yeaaaaahhhh sounds legit

Reply #771970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had a quick look at your videos... unfortunately you wouldn't be close to the standard of making a roster in the NBL1, even as a non-import. It’s good that you are asking but the standard of competition in India is a long way behind the leagues here

Reply #771972 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Is this the same gumby who posted this a month ago?

Reply #771993 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It feels as if half of India are coming here to study AND think they can ball at a high level.

Reply #771999 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Agree with th others but if you are sticking around for a full degree, try out for the university team in year 1 and work from there. If you develop your game therr can get some attention that way.

Reply #772004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I feel like your highlights soundtrack was not quite offensive enough.

Reply #772120 | Report this post

Eban Hyams  
Years ago

India has a great level of ballers, but this homie ain't one G.

Reply #772190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're no higher than an average U23 div 2 standard(SA standard), NBL1 is a LONG, and I mean LONG shot my guy.

Reply #772318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^wow

Reply #772448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no lies detected

Reply #772502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^wow

Reply #772504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks better then smith milner so i think he has a chance

Reply #772508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...and Smith Milner looks better than Harry Froling, so he not only has a chance, but will probably play meaningful minutes for Adelaide the way the Sixers roster is set up.

Reply #772509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith Milner is easily the worst player in the NBL. Harry Froling is a lot better than him.

Reply #772516 | Report this post

Eban, that hurts big time coming from you. I really looked up to you this season in the 3bl. I'm going to prove you wrong... You'll see :)

Reply #772588 | Report this post

You also liked a couple of my Instagram posts which motivated me to work hard.

Reply #772589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, you are hilarious. I stopped watching your "highlight" after about 10 seconds. You are not even good enough to play for my high school team. NBL1 is an Australian semi-pro league, its level is equivalent to pro league level in most Asian countries. You need to be as good as a starting five player for the Indian national team to be able to fight for a non-import spot in a NBL1 team. Are you good at cricket? Maybe you have a better chance to play for your uni's cricket team than my high school basketball team.

Reply #815763 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

I don't think you're Thammareddy to play but contact the teams directly to be that extra man at practice. You'll get there one day, you show real promise.

Reply #815768 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

I think you need to have a look at the background music before sharin g any of those clips. Wildly inappropriate.

Reply #815771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754