Anonymous
Years ago

Hunt to go?

Gleeson seems unable to play his big centers when games go poorly. Take the thrashing by Adelaide, they needed rebounding and he persisted in the forth quarter with a small ball team. (and Majok in fairness was barely on to be blamed for poor play)

With their 2 key off season signings both play the center position, we effectively have to positions when the going gets tough, Gleeson prefers to not play them. So your basically down 2 players. Hunt sadly has to go.

Need to replace hunt with athletic 4 man than between Kaye and him can play the center role. Similar to Cam Oliver , ability to bring centers out to the three point line with a legitimate shot.

Hunt is better then Cookie Jr but not by much and if the coach wont play you when the game is not going well - your taking a valuable import roster from someone that can potentially help win the game.

Good chance to miss finals, Cotton looking vunerable, Kay spent and not much talent to call from on the bench. Yes Im salty, if you want 12+ thousand fans to keep turning up gotta at least win at home.

Topic #46459 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt has been decent just not given opportunity by Gleeson

Reply #778083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont mind hunt, he's shown some flashes. Just doesn't seem to get opportunities from Gleeson, and gets a very hard time from the refs.

Reply #778084 | Report this post

Thats my point, coaches tendencies dont change. If Gleeson wont play Centres (why not Majok in the 4th quarter) then its a liability to have one.

Reply #778085 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

You'll be fine ince Shaun Livingston joins the team

Reply #778106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt never saw an opportunity for a dumb foul that he didn't like. If the Wildcats want to replace him then I bet Hungry Jacks would be happy to chip in considering how much money he is costing them.

Reply #778108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long way to go but could all the bigs be missing the coaching of Mathew Nielsen, even Kay hasn't been any where near as good. Sometimes it’s the sum of all the parts that make it work and there wasn’t any better than Neilson.

Reply #778109 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hunt is a poor import, no question.
When the going gets tough, he goes missing, so really no point having him.

Part of the problem seens to be that Trev doesn't like Big Centres. Knight was only 6'8, Brandt was 6'10 and saw less than 20 minutes a game, and McKay only 6'9. So Hunt fits right into that.
But he's inconsistent offensively and useless defensively.

Unfortunately Trev's plan B is to put Kay at Centre, and that's not fair on him and not working.

Unfortunately his plan C is to go small, and try to win the game from outside. On a good night, with everyone hitting, that works.
Cotton is having a bit of a rough patch, still getting it done, but just a bit expensive.
White is up & down like a yoyo, and Steindl is just like betting the house on Red-35.

Let's face it, this probably isn't going to be our year. Even if everything clicks in the 2nd half, we'd still have Sydney to get past.
So we need to win enough to stay in the race, develop the bench players a bit, and bide our time till next year.

Reply #778110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a decent player given that he's definitely the budget import.

White needs to be more consistent, and must attack the rim more often. You can't just sit on the arc and jack 3s all game as the #2 option.

Perth's problem is creativity since they don't have a legitimate PG. Cotton is a combo guard who is more effective being a scorer, and Norton doesn't have the game to be the dominant ball handler/facilitator.

Perth needed to find a local to play C, and then bring in a true PG to run the offence (Machado would be perfect). If Cotton naturalises before next season they will have much more room to move.

Reply #778114 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Norton is the heir-apparent to Damo. He will get more and more responsibility, and he will learn and develop.
At least under the current model, running a combo guard as the main offensive weapon in the backcourt is seen to alleviate the lack of scoring from the PG.

Unfortunately with White, his injury has put him back a bit. Hopefully he can fully recover and not be dogged by niggles like he was for much of last season.

Jook is another problem. Seems to lack confidence, in which case I'm not sure Trev's system is the right place for him.

I guess the assumption is that with 5 guys to rotate through 2 spots, it doesn't much matter if your starting centre averages less than half a game.

Reply #778118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be Gleeson to go.

Reply #778121 | Report this post

I wonder is the solution:
* Sack Hunt
* Promote Majook to starting centre like in United Years for short bursts, Vague/Kay a backup
* Hire a new Point Guard like Scot Muchado
* Martin to bench where he should of been starting this year if cats were more future focused

Certainly looks better than the current plan we have.

Reply #778122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not such a bad idea ^
Still need more offence from the bigs though.
Too much reliance on Cotton and White.

If Cotton naturalises next year wouldn't mind seeing

Import
Cotton
Import
Kay
Import

Norton
Steindl
Travers
Wani Swaka
Wagstaff
Vague
Majok

Reply #778124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just realised if Perth have 3 imports + Cotton + a next star this forum will go nuts.

On the next star issue is it too late for Perth to add someone this late in the season??

Reply #778126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sky is falling sack hunt lol

Reply #778127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a Perth fan but that’s sounds good.

Reply #778129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair these sky are falling threads have been around most teams.
If Adelaide were hammered today there would be people calling for Griffin or Moore to be sacked.
It's just forum mentality.
Imports are usually the most easily replaced commodities.

Reply #778132 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

He wasn't on the floor because they were down 20 and played 5 players who can hit 3s at a half decent rate.

Reply #778133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need to keep up with the Joneses.
Defence has been their strong suit but scoring has been at a high so far with Adelaide, Sydney, Phoenix, Brisbane and United all capable of putting up 100+ regularly.

Perth simply don't have the firepower.

Reply #778134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game's changing, Perth and NZ aren't the big hitters they once were and Perth have only just woken up to that fact.

and it's DELICIOUS to watch this play out..

Reply #778135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Hunt. Sign James Wiseman as a next star. Sign an import PG/SG to help carry the load.

Easy.

Reply #778136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney can score points but there like the cats of old, play very good D.

Reply #778137 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and Steindl is just like betting the house on Red-35

Except 35 is a black number...

Reply #778139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woah easy there Pauline

Reply #778140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado / Cotton / Adel / Kay / Hunt
Norton / NS / Te Rangi / Pinder / Reath

Limited minutes
Martin / Steindl / Wagstaff / Majok

Developing
Britt / Buluk / Travers / Vague

Reply #778141 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Send Hunt to Brisbane. Perth can literally have anyone in return apart from Magnay/Fatterson.

Reply #778144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno Ben maybe Hodgson will do.

Reply #778146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder how Angus Brandt is going.

Perth should follow Sydney's lead and upgrade from Vague to Motum just as Sydney did from Kuany to Cooks lol.

Reply #778149 | Report this post

dazzwerld  
Years ago

LMFAO at all the Perf fans defending their man,

I will be the first to acknowledge that Martin should have the DPOTY award named after him, but he never has and never will be a scoring threat. That cuts you down to 4 right off the bat. You cant go down to 3 and expect to win, without some heavy defence, which Spunt doesn't provide either.

He's close to being the worst import in the NBL, toss up between him and Benson.
Who is gone as soon as Wesley comes back.

But no, Perth think they can just club together and pull another ring out of their ass.

What is Perth's worst ever thrashing own their home court? Because I am tipping that will be beaten next Friday.

Reply #778150 | Report this post

Im a Perth Fan and I want Hunt. Doesnt bring enough consistency , scoring, energy etc to make up for the problems with their aussies we cant easily fix.

Reply #778159 | Report this post

* Hunt out

Reply #778160 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hunt can't hit free throws, look at Trev's face very time he misses one, if the game is close can't have "Hack a Hunt" going on hence he gets benched, game was over early against the 36ers hence seeing the benchwarmers out there for most of the last quarter. Travers looked good.

Reply #778202 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Hunt, I think he just might not be the ideal fit for the NBL the way teams seem to be going with their pivot man. Apart from Bogut, whom the Kings have really built their system to accomodate, most teams are going for the high activity, even if undersized, centre rather than a more traditional big man (Pineau, Oliver, Sixers starting Kyei recently, even the Hodgson/Magnay tandem is quite active in addition to having length).

Kay doesn't seem to be effective in long stretches, plus he’s not really athletic enough, or has the wingspan to be an effective rim protector. Majook has the same issues as Hunt, but even more so. With the offensive struggles of Martin, Perth would love a big that could play outside a bit more on offence, but it’s rare you find a guy like that whom can also be be effective as a defender inside. They are really missing Brandt, if only for team continuity.

Reply #778213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question is with Wildcats "Budget Approach" will anything be done?

Reply #778224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Kay having to play a lot of centre is hurting his game.
He is naturally suited to the four spot.
Hunt does need to go and be replaced with a Cam Oliver type.

Reply #778267 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Still waiting on how to bet on this mythical 35 red spot...

Reply #778289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody cares Perthworld.

Reply #778312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG there are some real twats in this forum.
Any time anyone dares to ask a question, or worse express a contrary opinion, and they all start carrying on like dickheads and making snide comments about the sky falling in.

So what? According to your logic, every player that has ever been signed to any team anywhere in the world, is automatically totally brilliant and should never ever be replaced???

The further utter stupidity of your logic is this: Hunt won't be invited back next year, we all know that. So those saying he needs to go, are right. It's just a question of when not if.

So what's wrong with having the conversation? There may be contractual issues, I don't know.

I for one think Perth won't bother. They will let Sydney buy its championship(s), sit back and wait for the inevitable implosion, and then start thinking about rings again.

Reply #778441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt is averaging 10.1 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Last season, Brandt averaged 8.0 points and 5.4 rebounds per game. I was expecting Brandt's numbers to be much better than Hunt's but apparently not.

Reply #778444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hunt is averaging 10.1 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Last season, Brandt averaged 8.0 points and 5.4 rebounds per game."

My Ass averages about 20 farts per game, so according to your logic I should be starting for the wildcats?

Reply #778446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

School holidays? ^^

Reply #778447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the next person I have to explain the difference between a local and an import to, I will Hunt down and stab in the eye with a rusty fork.

Reply #778448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt is the epitome of a downhill skier. He can score against teams without defence, but when the heat is on, he evaporates.

He's also literally the last person you can have on the court in crunch time.

Reply #778449 | Report this post

Agreed with last poster. In a team with questionable depth need to be like Cairns and play your 3 imports max minutes. If you cant then wrong import in the team.

Would not be suprised to see cats go from second to out of the four this weekend. (and in this league struggle to get back)

Reply #778510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Mathematically impossible for them to drop out of the top-4 after this weekend.

Reply #778515 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Agreed with last poster. In a team with questionable depth need to be like Cairns and play your 3 imports max minutes. If you cant then wrong import in the team."

Well Cats won the last title with their non existent 3rd import playing 0 minutes, and the title prior to that was Jameel McKay who played similar minutes to what Hunt is playing...go figure.

Reply #778524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly ^^^^^
You are better with two gun imports and perhaps a third string import or get the best Australian talent and pay more for them. Kennedy, Ware and Boone plus McCarron added last year at Melbourne couldn't get it done.

Reply #778527 | Report this post

Last 2 posters - forgetting cats are older, and less talented (lost 2 good centres for two below average ones). Whilst rest of the league has on paper improved.

Reply #778528 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Last 2 posters - forgetting cats are older, and less talented (lost 2 good centres for two below average ones). Whilst rest of the league has on paper improved."

All those points are true, but who can match with Kings "on paper" anyway even if we were to replace Hunt, we're still behind...Oliver was the guy we originally chased, but he chose Cairns for whatever reason.

Reply #778529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kind of odd for Gleeson to say they went for Oliver who is more a mobile 4 with range and instead got an old school 5 that does not have 3 point or decent midrange game. Was their search that limited ...?

Reply #778530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kings like Perth for the 5-10 years has really backed their Australian content in. Bogut, Newley, Lisch, Moller, Kickett, Bruce, Walker and now added Cook. It's a good formula that Perth has had.

Reply #778532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG people talk some absolute shite on this forum.

"Well Cats won the last title with their non existent 3rd import playing 0 minutes, and the title prior to that was Jameel McKay who played similar minutes to what Hunt is playing...go figure"

Cats also won titles with Tiny Pinder. Are you saying they should go recruit another paedophile?

Last year Sydney had Gaze, which automatically barred them from contention.
This year they have stacked their team stupendously, Melbourne have also improved.

Perth lost Brandt, Jervis, and Hire. Replacing them with Spunt, Majook, and Travers

But sure, keep on believing another ring is within your grasp.

Reply #778562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kind of odd for Gleeson to say they went for Oliver who is more a mobile 4 with range and instead got an old school 5"

err, what?

Perth went for an Athletic 4/5, exactly what Oliver is, and what Spunt was supposed to be. But he just isn't.

His lack of range is down to the fact that he can't shoot for shit, so needs to be within 1m of the basket.

Reply #778563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spunt?

Reply #778565 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Spud+Hunt

Reply #778580 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Cats also won titles with Tiny Pinder. Are you saying they should go recruit another paedophile?"

I think you're the one sprouting shite, he was convicted of rape and was found not guilty years later. No idea what your comment has to do with mine, absolute moron.

Reply #778657 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

To the above, my friend studied the Pinder case and she said it was an absolute travesty what Pinder had done to him by that woman who accused him of rape. He lost years of his life and she got a slap on the wrist.

Reply #778660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had already been convicted of sexually assaulting three other women plus jailed for sexual assault of a teenage girl prior to that. I'm not feeling too sorry for him

Reply #778666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"To the above, my friend studied the Pinder case and she said it was an absolute travesty what Pinder had done to him by that woman who accused him of rape. He lost years of his life and she got a slap on the wrist."

Umm, no dude, I'm afraid you're confused.

Firstly, Pinder's issues were well known to the Wildcats beforehand. He had been convicted of raping a minor in America in the 70s.

In the early 90s he was tried and convicted for an offence in the late 80's in WA, again involving a minor. He went to prison for that.

After that he went to Illawarra, where he offended again against a minor and was again imprisoned.

After being paroled he was charged with another crime in the early 2000's, and that time acquitted.

Many years later, he was charged in NSW for a crime that allegedly took place back in Perth in the 80's. He was acquitted
Around that time he was arrested for violating the terms of his parole.

Reply #779125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude has to GO

He's playing a good rule, but if I have to watch one more freethrow attempt, I am going to stab my eyes out with a fork

Reply #779126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop hating on Pinder

Reply #779127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the hell is wrong with the guy? Its like watching Warnie bowl a flipper.

Reply #779262 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754