MD
Years ago

Changes needed for Bullets...

Bullets certainly need to look for a new coach. Player-wise they need to retain Magnay. Imports have been complete junk barring Patterson.

Machado and Eric Griffin would be perfect fits and perhaps a SG/SF off the bench.

A starting 5 of Machado, Sobey, Gliddon, Griffin and Magnay would cause some havoc.

Off the bench Jason Cadee, Import SG/SF, Te Rangi, Vukona and Hodgson.

Topic #46640 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lemanis has still got another 2 years to go on his contract and Vukona is a corpse now no way they bring him back next season and I dare say they'll probably cut bait with Te Rangi.

Magnay will have a lot of suitors in the offseason too.

Reply #783907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So don't keep Patterson and start Gliddon...

Reply #783908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A starting 5 of Machado, Sobey, Gliddon, Griffin and Magnay would cause some havoc.

Off the bench Jason Cadee, Import SG/SF, Te Rangi, Vukona and Hodgson."

Really!?

Reply #783909 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sobey shouldn't play point guard for this team. Brisbane doesn't have a real point guard on the roster. Not one. Gibbo was that guy, now he's gone

Reply #783910 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They'll probably bring back Kendle once he's recovered from injury, and he isn't a point guard either

Reply #783911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado is going to be busy the number of teams he's associated with. Lol. Griffin is a defensive liability and very hot and cold. Cadee is nba quality in Shane Heals opinion so there is your point guard. Magnay will be over paid where ever he ends up, maybe a swap over for Kay.

Reply #783912 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Bullets are hurt by over paying Hodgson & Cadee.

They run on a tight budget and can't afford many of the names mentioned above.

The one guy they could get who is a major upgrade next to Patterson is DJ Newbill.

Reply #783913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Braun and Singler had been replaced with an import PG and PF, the existing roster would be mostly fine.

For next year... I think for continuity, only make a few changes.

First up is a stud import PG which is what the majority of teams have and with good reason due to the lack of Australian PG's presently. Someone like Machado would be ideal.

He’s been a warrior but it’s clear Vukona is done and he should retire.

For his spot, bring in Kiwi Jack Salt who would give them solid reserve minutes at C and PF at a pinch

Still not convinced Magnay is ready to start and his last game proved that. Bring in an import PF (Cam Oliver please) so Magnay can push for minutes and further develop ready for starters minutes into the 2021/22 season.

Not sure who their current 11th man is... but pretty sure it’s Tyrell Harrison. He’s proven nothing despite being there for a similar time to Magnay so they need to move on from him.

Replacing Harrison, bring in Wigness by tempting him with that full roster . He could split the reserve PG minutes with Cadee.

PG- Import
SG - Sobey
SF - Patterson
PF - Import
C - Hodgson

PG - Wigness
PG/SG - Cadee
SG/SF - Gliddon
SF - Te Rangi
PF/C - Magnay
C - Salt

That’s a well balanced squad.

Reply #783916 | Report this post

The Sobey at point guard idea has failed.

Reply #783922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm super pissed off the coach refuses to see issues with his imports, needs to go, bullets need to raid cairns lol.

Reply #783923 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Sobey is not a PG and I don't understand why the Bullets chased him as his fit on the team is questionable. He and Lemanis must be good pals. Sobey is another overpaid player that is so hot and cold you simply can't rely on him each game. They would have been much better of spending money on 3 quality imports.

Agree the money Hodgson and Cadee are receiving would be crippling them and the fact they are struggling to pull 3k to games while Cairns are drawing better numbers makes the comeback of the Bullets organization look like a big failure.

Seems Brissie just doesn't like their basketball as much as the rest of the country...bring back the Blaze...lol.

Reply #783938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MD Brisbane loves basketball, but we just don't have a decent stadium, the lastest one is on the south side in the middle of no where with zero parking !! , I live on the north side and it’s a massive effort to get to a game. Brisbane will attend games but we just don’t have a decent home. And let’s be honest this team sucks.

The hawks game that lamelo pulled out of was a sell out.

Reply #783945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm super pissed off the coach refuses to see issues with his imports, needs to go, bullets need to raid cairns lol. "

What else is new lol.

Reply #783961 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Too many terrible decisions that have crippled the team.

Cadee has never developed into a consistent player but seems to get favours from people due to his name. They pump him up everytime he finally has a good game.

Both singler and Braun are nbl1 imports at best. This was obvious very early.

They don't have a point guard which in today’s nbl is complete stupidity.

Sobey has been a bit of a flop so far.

Players such as vukona, te tanginsnd gloddon all seem to have regressed.

Hopefully they are not paying cadee what is reported

Reply #783962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

PG- Import
SG - Sobey
SF - Patterson
PF - Import
C - Hodgson

PG - Wigness
PG/SG - Cadee
SG/SF - Gliddon
SF - Te Rangi
PF/C - Magnay
C - Salt

Anon, really like this team. I think with the new ownership there might be scope for some better spending on one more gun import, which would allow this team to be a contender.

As for this year, the underperformance for various reasons of Hodgson, Vukona and Gliddon, who were three really key pieces last season, has proven tough to overcome. Tonight's game is huge for them, win it and they're right in the mix, but a loss will make playoffs tough.

Reply #783966 | Report this post

Vukona is cooked but he had a terrific career just one year too many.
Gliddon looks to me a handy bench scorer and nothing more.
I like the idea of Wigness but think he would be great for Cairns to replace Kenny.

Reply #783970 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Vukona was very good against Melbourne. If he can produce form like that consistently then Brisbane will be in the playoff mix in the final rounds.

Reply #783974 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Vukona's been about as inconsistent as anyone on Brisbane's roster, not more so IMO. He had a couple of productive games earlier in the season.

Reply #783975 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say he had been consistently bad, the off-season injury killed him. But as I said, he was very good v Melbourne so maybe the legs are finally getting under him, or maybe it was a flash in the pan?

Reply #783977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona past it. Gideon too. Hodgson meh.
Imports need better. Another C+ Bullets performance.

Luckily LK found a wood duck to buy in at a stupid rate. No longer his problem.

Reply #783978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona has played 113 minutes in 17 games. I wouldn't say he has been inconsistent, he has just not been on the court to actually produce. The last game was his first of the season playing 10+ mins..

Reply #783979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul I love your potential line up but it is a fantasy line up! The reason Braun and Singler are there is not because of their ability but because of what was left in the budget. The team has gone in a direct and paid overs on Sobey 200+, Gliddon 150, Cadee 130, Hodgson 130, plus I'm not sure if Ter Rangi is on a current contract or if they extended him after his breakout season last year. Patterson was cheap this year but won't be next year. Got lucky on him not picking up anything else.

I'm guessing you want a top line point guard? And very capable 4 (like Tate?). This is not Melbourne Sydney or Perth's budget. They are middle tier. The damage is done in the current contracts and they are stuck.

Sobey has been promised the point guard position. The only way to seperate that would be a new coach. I happen to think Lemanis is an excellent coach, but should not have a overpowering say in recruiting! He should have a NBA style GM in place who can say no, and challenge him at times with things that don't make sense (like how the roster got to be this much of a mess and so unbalanced). Keep Lemanis, but new GM and tear this thing down cause it's a mess.

Reply #783988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The team has gone in a direct and paid overs on Sobey 200+, Gliddon 150, Cadee 130, Hodgson 130"
If these figures are accurate (approx. $610K), I would say that they are definitely not paying overs at all for their top 4 locals on the roster. Compare that to the top 4 locals on any other roster (apart from Cairns/Illawara) and I would be would be extremely surprised if Brisbane are paying anywhere near the others.

Reply #784005 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

#005 beat me to it.

Except for Cadee, none of those guys are paid overs based on those amounts.

3 are Boomers/Fringe Boomers - if anything, I'd say those are about par, if not under (the big spenders like Sydney or Melbourne would probably have been willing to pay more than Brisbane I reckon).

Even Cadee at $130k, whilst I would definitely not have him on my team and can't stand the bloke, is paid 11% odd of the cap and probably proportional, if not proportionally under, to his minutes/rotation.

As for next year, to give them the most free $ to spend on a really good top 5-7, I'd:

- Be recruiting now and signing up College returnees/and guys like Jack Salt for as low $ as possible (before the other superpowers come in) - so you're 8, 9, 10, 11th men aren't taking up the cap unnecessarily;
- Not sure of Te Rangi's contract situation, but I'd be inclined to approach him and say 'look, when you're current deal expires, we're not going to renew; how about we restructure you're contract to shave some off the top but give you a few more years for security.
- I'd also do the same to Cadee and remind him that no other team is going to offer him what he is been paid by Brisbane;

Reply #784016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with brisbane is Vukona has gone a year too long - the offseason injury killed him and Gliddon has underperformed.

Sobey at the PG is fine - Patterson is ball dominant.

Re Braun and Singler - Singler is budget (Kendles replacement) and better imo but the problem was they signed Braun not thinking Patterson would be available.

Reply #784018 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Te Rangi is a free agent at the end of the season and Cadee has 1 year left on his contract.

Reply #784023 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

The Boomer suck ups that went to Brisbane to play for AL will be gone.
Next season's wooden spooners for sure.

Reply #784101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and Cadee has 1 year left on his contract." And???

Reply #784121 | Report this post

It means they're stuck with Cadee for another season.

Reply #784122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So everyone calling for Lemanis's head, why arent the same people calling for CJ and Sam;s head? I know I would be and am.

Reply #784151 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

So everyone calling for Lemanis's head, why arent the same people calling for CJ and Sam;s head?

...and the relevance is... ?

Reply #784153 | Report this post

Go Joey Go  
Years ago

Throw the bank at the Great Man. He can take JVG with him.

Reply #784160 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

PG- Import
SG - Sobey
SF - Patterson
PF - Import
C - Hodgson

PG - Wigness
PG/SG - Cadee
SG/SF - Gliddon
SF - Te Rangi
PF/C - Magnay
C - Salt

Anon, you are spot on with this squad. As for Brisbane crowds, every game I've been to hasn’t had an empty seat in the 5,000 capacity stadium. I prefer watching basketball at the state netball centre compared to Boondall. Close to the action, comfortable seats & close to food. Also handy my mechanic is 50m down the street who allows me to park at & yes the traffic & parking isn’t great I do admit.

Reply #784170 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul I love your potential line up but it is a fantasy line up!"

Not my line-up mate, was someone else's but I like it. The 4 you need in that squad is someone who can defend and rebound. I expect the Bullets to have more to spend next season under new ownership, so I think they might be able to upgrade on one of those import spots.

Reply #784216 | Report this post

Is Magnay a free agent?

Reply #784218 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Perthworld's big brother I know what you're thinking... Magnay > Perth.

I reckon they'll drop him an offer. Wouldn't hurt since Brisbane likely cannot afford to pay him what Perth can.

Reply #784255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay leaving Perth so he could be available if magnay goes.

Reply #784263 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kay's got another year to go on his contract at Perth anon.

Reply #784266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lineup liked by Paul and Sitiveni was my suggestion.

Understand other's points that it would require a higher budget (like those of Sydney etc) but it’s just a suggestion after all. What will help, numerous players will be due for a pay cut after their individual performances this year, particularly Gliddon. However, Magnay will probably demand a raise...

I do recognise its an unlikely lineup but if assembled, it would certainly challenge for the title.

Agree with #783988 that Lemanis’ roster management was a major problem this year and he needs a GM who will be more involved in roster selection ensuring balance.

Reply #784697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay would be an option, maybe in clubs favour or his but with escalating market for top players he will want more than his 400g.

Reply #784712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754